Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

What is the timing on bringing in a new GM? Especially since we'll probably be wanting to hire a new HC shortly after the season ends. I would assume we would want the new GM to be in place to help make that decision. Unless the new GM is being consulted prior to formally being brought on, but is that even legal (unless they're currently out of the league)?

If Cunningham is the target, when are we able to get him on? 

I am thinking Monday morning, if we release ALL of the F.O. and RR and coaching staff after the regular season is over with.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

I am thinking Monday morning, if we release ALL of the F.O. and RR and coaching staff after the regular season is over with.

Monday morning after the season ends? So we would start the process of interviewing, etc. ahead of time? I assume it is similar to HC candidates in that you have to seek permission from the team to interview them? That's my main concern, if we have to wait for the season to end to engage a GM candidate, we might miss out of the 1st wave of HC interviews and hires, unless someone knows they're a candidate and want to hold out for our spot.

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Monday morning after the season ends? So we would start the process of interviewing, etc. ahead of time? I assume it is similar to HC candidates in that you have to seek permission from the team to interview them? That's my main concern, if we have to wait for the season to end to engage a GM candidate, we might miss out of the 1st wave of HC interviews and hires, unless someone knows they're a candidate and want to hold out for our spot.

GM candidates currently employed by the NFL are working right now, just like coaches. The timetable for (already employed) GM candidates is the same as coaches. It’ll all begin to happen after the regular season ends. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, JMS, this is why I said think because I am not sure.  NFL teams might not be able to talk to other teams about their personal F.O. or coaches until after the regular season is over with or maybe a certain date.  I have attached important dates and didn't see anything in it about contacting other teams about GMs.  I just browsed over it quickly as I am headed out:  2023-24 Important NFL Dates | NFL Football Operations

First- change the name. No more Commies in Washington.

Second -Hire a qualified GM. No more worthless lackeys hired solely to enable an over the hill coach or a fantasy football deluded Farquaad.

Third - give the GM the final say on hiring the coach, like JKC let Beathard overrule his wish to hire Dan Reeves and took Gibbs instead.

And finally, burn all those XFL Tanya Snyder uniforms, starting with the pseudo Steelers ones (have the rookies pee on those first). Bring back original retro unis and put something better than a taco holder on the helmets.

Also, kill Major Tuddy.  It's embarrassing to represent our servicemen as pigs.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, method man said:

Cunningham has some good talking bits but the draft results and philosophy stink (look at how many picks this past year were on the defensive side of the ball) for the Bears and the way they spent in FA this past season was idiotic too (paying Edmunds the money they paid him). It’s cool that he has been with the Eagles and Ravens but he was a junior guy/mid level exec until he got to Chicago so not sure how much credit we can give him

Based on what I've seen from Chicago. I don't really want this guy at all.

Let's take someone from SF, Baltimore, or even the Steelers (Harris used to be minority owner there and might be able to convince one of the assistant GMs to come over).

• Like 2

Just now, bird_1972 said:

I thought Mayhew ran the show in Detroit when they were horrible. 

He did, but he was a director of player personnel or something in San Fran when Rivera grabbed him.

Kyle Shanahan coached here and Cleveland before finally succeeding in ATL and the getting the HC gig.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

He did, but he was a director of player personnel or something in San Fran when Rivera grabbed him.

Kyle Shanahan coached here and Cleveland before finally succeeding in ATL and the getting the HC gig.

To be fair, Shanahan showed flashes when he was OC here. I attribute a lot of the success of RG3's first season to his creativity.

Will have to take your word on Mahew - didn't realize he was in charge in SF.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Let's take someone from SF, Baltimore, or even the Steelers (Harris used to be minority owner there and might be able to convince one of the assistant GMs to come over).

I think I like the asst. from the Steelers better. Chicago has done some wacky stuff. 

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Bruh everyone around knows this job is gonna be open. If they’re interested they’ll be in contact with whoever they need to be in contact with. I know there are rules but any of us would be crazy to think feelers and thoughts haven’t already been out there. I’m sure that Harris and his brain trust have a few folks in mind already and I would be SHOCKED if those folks have no idea that Washington is interested. That just how the world works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I think I like the asst. from the Steelers better. Chicago has done some wacky stuff. 

Admittedly I’m very ignorant on who the prize winners are that are out there. But in general, anyone associated with Pittsburgh, at least on a surface level, is much more attractive to me than someone from Chicago. Let’s be honest, even though they’re haven’t been in the conversation as a SUPER BOWL contender for several years, we would all kill to have that consistency and to be a franchise as a whole that regardless of injuries or whatever we are just always a tough ass team with one of the best cultures in the entire league. I’ll caveat that by saying I was born in 89 and unfortunately the entirety of my fanhood has been…that short man. So while I acknowledge it I have no sense of legacy with this franchise. 

So for the more knowledgeable/informed, I accept maybe the Chicago dude is better. Idk. But my ultimate hope is Harris puts us on the path to the kind of league-wide and nationwide well-earned respect that Pittsburgh has. And the fact they always find a way to compete and make the playoffs even when they have an average roster and a garbage qb. 

It would be nice to just be able to say I’m a fan of X team and not have to give a disclaimer. And to be able to confidently talk about the team I obsess over. 

14 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Martin Mayhew came from San Francisco. It takes more than just being with a winning team to prove you can do the job

I totally agree. Just look at New England. They've had lots of success, albeit with Brady, but their coaching tree has been horrible. I know we're talking about GM's but you have to look at the whole picture. Is there crappy ownership. What is the scouting department like? Is this person highly thought of by his peers. You can't go by a teams win loss record. This is where Harris needs to do his due diligence.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

You're probably thinking of Adam Peters, the assistant GM under Lynch.  He's the hot name out there right now.  There are probably good assistant GMs under DeCosta in Baltimore, and under Colbert in Pittsburgh as well.  Ian Cunningham, the assistant GM in Chicago is the name gaining traction here as well.  We'll have to see what happens once the season ends

On 11/28/2023 at 4:16 PM, RWJ said:

I think it's either one of these two, but the dots clearly point to Cunningham right now.  

TM and guys that includes Burgundyblog continue to try and connect dots.  Here's the full exchange.

Who knows, we'll see.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

TM and guys that includes Burgundyblog continue to try and connect dots.  Here's the full exchange.

Who knows, we'll see.

Yeah, I saw this the other day and it certainly piqued my interest. Would confirm suspicions that even though it may not be kosher to negotiate with potential GM candidates, there seems to be communication through back channels. 

• Like 1

Spielberger on with Sheehan had some interesting stuff to say here.  A lot of guys I'd not heard mentioned and also the speculation that Harris hires a team President to run the business side.  He called that person a "people mover" as in any business you have to have someone who can do all the off field stuff. 

He surmised 2 big hires (President and GM) before a coach.

Just now, Andre The Giant said:

I love that.   Not that we needed to hear this to reach this conclusion -- but he'd have hated Bruce Allen's approach and ditto his current coach Ron Rivera.

I heard Larry Michael once articulate Bruce's vision for the team -- which is don't ever get bad.  Hovering in the middle is fine if you must because all that needs to happen is you get some breaks and bam you can be in the playoffs and then once you are in the playoffs anything can happen.

The philosophy seemed to be never take a step back to take a step forward because even if you are running in place, you can get lucky.  I hated that.  And I love Harris' comment on that point.  I've never heard an owner articulate that point as well as that.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/29/2023 at 3:37 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Also, kill Major Tuddy.  It's embarrassing to represent our servicemen as pigs.

How do they say he died? Maybe just disappeared? Demoted??? Discharged???? I agree, he needs to go asap. Remember this time a year ago when they made a big deal out of his birth? LOL.