Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Texans OC Bobby Slowik, age 36, is getting mad props today on the NFL pregame show for the offense he's created in Houston. Yes, this is another former Redskins/Commanders coach who got away. Supposedly he has taken the Niners offense and installed it in Houston to very impressive results thus far. Young, bright minded coach who is doing a tremendous job with CJ Stroud. Should this guy be on our radar? I'll bet if we pluck a GM out of SF's front office he will be. 

Y’all would burst a gasket waiting for them to have the oline men needed to run that system here. 

I would love it. But y’all would be done with this dude in a month. 

Will McClay has been in Dallas for 21 years and will never see the GM title there so it's odd that he hasn't looked for a move. Is he the front office version of EB? Whoever is drafting in Dallas has done a good job hitting on elite talents and building a pretty good roster year after year. We should find out who that guy is and look at him.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Speculation here is Ian Cunningham and Brandon Brown

Great post, HigSkin!  I think this has legs plus Cunningham's Dad, "His father, Louis, was a sports agent whose firm represented major NBA stars, served a vice president of marketing for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta and later served as athletics director at Alabama A&M."  So a possible part owner Irving Johnson connection. Also, Cunningham was in Baltimore when Eugene Chen, our SVP of Football Strategy or Analytics was there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Will McClay has been in Dallas for 21 years and will never see the GM title there so it's odd that he hasn't looked for a move. Is he the front office version of EB? Whoever is drafting in Dallas has done a good job hitting on elite talents and building a pretty good roster year after year. We should find out who that guy is and look at him.

Hes the lead personnel guy in Dallas despite what the titles say. He aint leaving a top notch job like that.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I've talked about him for years, he's probably the best defacto GM in the league.  But I don't think he's going anywhere.  He's their defacto GM, he's the reason from what i read that Jerry has finally backed off in recent years from interferring and if I recall I read they gave him a big raise.  He's their GM from what I read without the title.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

As for Brandon Brown in spite of their down season I've liked the Giants last two drafts.  Jalen Hyatt was great yesterday.  Okreke was a good FA signing.  Simmons a good trade, etc.  But mainly I like his profile because he was high up with the Eagles.

But I dived some into Ian Cunningham last night including watching some of his interviews and he's impressive.  He was for years in both Baltimore and Philly.

Breer who is plugged in

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/06/nfl-gms-names-to-watch-potential-future

Ian Cunningham, Bears assistant GM: Chicago hasn’t had a great year, but Cunningham’s very clearly viewed as a future GM—if a year or two away. He learned under Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, and rose there to become Southeast area scout (Newsome views that role as a big one organizationally), then helped to rework the Eagles’ roster as their college scouting director, eventually becoming director of player personnel before jumping to the Bears last winter.

PFF

IAN CUNNINGHAM, CHICAGO BEARS ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER

*Has interviewed for general manager position in the past

Cunningham rose through the ranks of two of the NFL’s model organizations in Philadelphia and Baltimore, primarily working in college scouting. Cunningham was an undrafted free agent offensive lineman with the Kansas City Chiefs but quickly jumped onto the club side and took off from there. He has undoubtedly learned a ton over his time with all three clubs about evaluating talent, but now his role in Chicago is key as he manages people and learns the CEO side of what a top job could look like. 

Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald should be the top head coach candidate this offseason, and he also spent 2014-2016 with Cunningham in Baltimore. Eagles offensive coordinator Brian Johnson figures to at least receive head coach interviews, and the two crossed paths for a year, as well. 

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/bears-secret-weapon-targeted-for-gm-roles/

Bears’ Ian Cunningham Is a Star on the Rise

Ryan Poles hired Ian Cunningham as one of his first acts as Bears GM. Just four days into his new job Poles targeted Cunningham as his second in command. Cunningham is known around the league as an adept recruiter and has been called a “secret weapon” in the Bears front office. Cunningham started his career with the Baltimore Ravens as an area scout. He credits NFL legend and former Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome for teaching him how to evaluate talent at the NFL level.

In a March 2022 interview with ChicagoBears.com Cunningham spoke about his time in Baltimore.

“I’d go into the office of Ozzie Newsome every single night and pick his brain as I’m putting magnets up,” Cunningham said. “[I’d ask], ‘Who’d you watch today?’ Or just having conversations and learning: ‘How do you evaluate talent? What do you see in this player?’ Just learning as much as you could and soaking it in.”

Cunningham would leave Baltimore in 2017 for a personnel job with the Philadelphia Eagles. In Philly Cunningham quickly rose the ranks, initially hired as the director of college scouting Cunningham would end up being the Eagles’ director of player personnel in just five years.

on this one, it was said that Ian is liked so much he will attack free agents

• Like 1

Ozzie Newsome is a good person to learn from, and being with the Eagles for 4 years doesn't hurt either. I still wince that he's with perennial loser Chicago--but John Schneider was not just Bo Duke, he was our GM here. I am beyond tired of seeing the meme of all the great coaches that came through here. So a perennial loser can produce good personnel in a better situation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Brandon Brown in spite of their down season I've liked the Giants last two drafts.  Jalen Hyatt was great yesterday.  Okreke was a good FA signing.  Simmons a good trade, etc.  But mainly I like his profile because he was high up with the Eagles.

But I dived some into Ian Cunningham last night including watching some of his interviews and he's impressive.  He was for years in both Baltimore and Philly.

Breer who is plugged in

Also, Cunningham's Dad was associated with the NBA too.  Thus, the Irving Johnson connection.  Plus, he was with Chen when Chen was in Baltimore.  Dots connect quite a bit on this young and upcoming man to DC as GM.  I personally like Wiedl as next GM from Pittsburgh with Colbert being GM consultant but Cunningham seems to be the fav. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ozzie Newsome is a good person to learn from, and being with the Eagles for 4 years doesn't hurt either. I still wince that he's with perennial loser Chicago--but John Schneider was not just Bo Duke, he was our GM here. I am beyond tired of seeing the meme of all the great coaches that came through here. So a perennial loser can produce good personnel in a better situation.

he’s only been with the Bears for 2 years and not as their main guy

• Like 2

Keep an eye open. This tweet from Oct 31st and about Ian Cunningham and Mike MacDonald, Defensive Coordinator.

Also, see this article of Mike MacDonald too and his relationship with Shen, SVP of Analytics now.  

Cover Story: Mike Macdonald’s Meteoric Coaching Rise (baltimoreravens.com)

Total D in NFL #2!

2023 NFL Defense Rankings: Team Pass and Rush Stats (foxsports.com)

Edited by RWJ

42 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Keep an eye open. This tweet from Oct 31st and about Ian Cunningham and Mike MacDonald, Defensive Coordinator.

Also, see this article of Mike MacDonald too and his relationship with Shen, SVP of Analytics now.  

Total D in NFL #2!

We could do a lot worse than MacDonald, but I think the bias will be towards someone with more of an offensive background. Ben Johnson seems to be the hot name in that respect. The first domino should be the GM position, most important thing is that the GM and his philosophy align with whoever that GM brings in as HC.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I want an offensively minded coach but I'm not so vehemently against a defensive mind either. The likely COTY this year is Demeco Ryans who's a defensive guy. Watching the Ravens D last night I was thoroughly impressed with how fast and aggressive they played. I have other candidates I'd prefer but I wouldn't hate Macdonald if he's paired with someone like Cunningham in the FO.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I want an offensively minded coach but I'm not so vehemently against a defensive mind either. The likely COTY this year is Demeco Ryans who's a defensive guy. Watching the Ravens D last night I was thoroughly impressed with how fast and aggressive they played. I have other candidates I'd prefer but I wouldn't hate Macdonald if he's paired with someone like Cunningham in the FO.

I keep forgetting we’re not in love anymore. I keep forgetting things will never be the same again. I keep forgetting how you made that so clear. I keep forgetting every time you’re near.

Whew. That won’t get old.

I’ve boxed myself in with the idea of a young OC becoming HC.

But if they went that route with MacDonald, who would they pair him with as OC? Keep Bienemy? Go with an up and coming position coach? Greg Roman?

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

But if they went that route with MacDonald, who would they pair him with as OC? Keep Bienemy? Go with an up and coming position coach? Greg Roman?

Hard pass on Greg Roman. Below are his rankings by year as the Ravens OC. That points trend is not good. More subjectively I never really liked his offensive scheme/philosophy - he's kind of the anti EB. Roman is a run first guy who uses gap/power paired with a lot of RPO - passing game is WCO based with lost of quick game (often off RPO) - its not very imaginative. He's not the guy I'd want developing a young QB.

• 2019 – 1st in points, 2nd in yards
  • 2020 – 7th in points, 19th in yards
  • 2021 – 17th in points, 6th in yards
  • 2022 – 19th in points, 16th in yards
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Hard pass on Greg Roman. Below are his rankings by year as the Ravens OC. That points trend is not good. More subjectively I never really liked his offensive scheme/philosophy - he's kind of the anti EB. Roman is a run first guy who uses gap/power paired with a lot of RPO - passing game is WCO based with lost of quick game (often off RPO) - its not very imaginative. He's not the guy I'd want developing a young QB.

I want a pass first, modern offense too. How much of that is his philosophy versus adapting his scheme to maximize his players’ talents? Keep in mind that Jackson missed 5-6 games in 2021 and 2022 and Baltimore invested very little into their WR position over that time. Even with that, they scored an average of 120 points per season more than we did over that time. His offenses in SF won also.

Just thinking out loud as he would not be my first choice. What I wouldn’t want to happen is that we get an up and coming OC, do well, and then Howell is on his fourth coordinator in four years. 

If we did get Cunningham, and along with Shen, they would have a pretty good idea about how he’d fit.

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What I wouldn’t want to happen is that we get an up and coming OC, do well, and then Howell is on his fourth coordinator in four years. 

I’d see that as a good problem to have 🙂

All comes down to the GM first. What’s his philosophy and how does he want to build a roster around that philosophy. Coaching has to fit that same philosophy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MartinC said:

How many years have been spent lamenting the Ravens lack of investment in the skill positions though. Their leading WRs were:

2019: Marquise Brown/Willie Snead/Miles Boykin

2020: Marquise Brown/Willie Snead/Miles Boykin

2021: Marquise Brown/Rashod Bateman/Devin Duvernay

2022: Demarcus Robinson/Devin Duvernay/Rashod Bateman

I mean, that's tough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

How many years have been spent lamenting the Ravens lack of investment in the skill positions though. Their leading WRs were:

2019: Marquise Brown/Willie Snead/Miles Boykin

2020: Marquise Brown/Willie Snead/Miles Boykin

2021: Marquise Brown/Rashod Bateman/Devin Duvernay

2022: Demarcus Robinson/Devin Duvernay/Rashod Bateman

I mean, that's tough.

Brown and Bateman were first round picks, so they tried. They might not have panned out, but some of that might have been down to coaching and just lack of targets. 

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Total D in NFL #2!

I am big time partial to an offensive minded coach but if they went defense minded -- he's the guy for me.  I don't want Quinn or Schwartz or name that older dude who has already been a HC.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve seen some chatter about us getting a new offensive minded head coach and pairing him with Wink Martindale.  

But he feels like a guy who is only good against us.  I’ll pass.

I saw Grant talking that up as something he wants.  I wouldn't hate it as to Martindale.  Whatever the HC wants I'll want.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve seen some chatter about us getting a new offensive minded head coach and pairing him with Wink Martindale.  

But he feels like a guy who is only good against us.  I’ll pass.

I guess we could whup our own arse if we had someone who is only good at whupping us. I hear some people are into that thing...

• Haha 2