Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Paddleboat Ron leaves, is promoted, or traded at the deadline, who do you want as our next coach?

Redskinscub

2 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Why draft another QB and just discard Howell after 1 year?  Rivera and this FO woefully neglected the OL the past 2 drafts.  Instead of going DBs with their first 2 picks in the past draft, they should've provided this QB with some protection up front since the guys they have failed so badly.

Agreed. I just don't buy into a new regime discarding Howell because he's not their guy.

On the contrary, whoever takes this job will be intrigued by having a promising QB on a 5th round rookie contract for two more years and will endeavor to develop that QB while building the roster around him.

The decision point is whether to give Sam a second contract. If by then he's solidified himself as a capable starter, then great. If he hasn't, you've had two years to build the roster to where you can either attract a veteran QB or draft a guy and put him in a good situation.

Whether the future lies with Howell or not, the rational move for a new FO and coaching staff is to see what he's got for the remainder of his contract. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, method man said:

The exception is if both come together in a package a la Schoen and Daboll or Lynch and Shanny

That's trusting an ownership team that's never owned a football franchise with a lot to do both at the same time...to keep from potential reasonable disappointment, they better off getting best front office person they can and doing what whatever they say.  Seeing the Wizards do that has been inspiring, results still very early.

16 hours ago, Conn said:

Like I said, GM comes first, but that Frank Smith profile was intriguing. People skills, young for the NFL but not so young that he hasn’t had time to soak up knowledge from older NFL legends and younger wunderkinds alike. A teacher at heart, experience coaching OL + TE, coordinating run games, and now McDaniel’s explosive Miami offense. Experience in multiple systems, believes in building the offense around players’ strengths and doing what works. Has multiple times worked and been hired onto staffs where he didn’t know his boss, so used to seeing non-relational or at least non-nepotism based hires to assemble the best staff. Accountable and doesn’t throw players under the bus, focuses on taking blame and teaching better, finding what works for individual players rather than forcing blanket solutions. Relationship builder. 

Like I said, I’m intrigued. Here are a few snippets I liked: 

Athletic article link

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

Just remember, I brought him up first. 😛

Saw some stuff on him last year and dug into him, like you apparently did. Ended up extremely intrigued. 

As I said, he and Johnson would be the top of my list. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

What’s still baffling is how this coaching staff literally watched how bad this offensive line was last year and actually “ran it back!?” And yea I know I’m beating a dead horse but man, they literally tanked their own careers by fielding the worst line in football 2 years straight and are surprised the fans want them fired. And I actually like Ron and wanted the squad to succeed, but this is indefensible… it’s plain crazy…

9 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

What’s still baffling is how this coaching staff literally watched how bad this offensive line was last year and actually “ran it back!?” And yea I know I’m beating a dead horse but man, they literally tanked their own careers by fielding the worst line in football 2 years straight and are surprised the fans want them fired. And I actually like Ron and wanted the squad to succeed, but this is indefensible… it’s plain crazy…

They didn't run it back.  They made it worse with the addition of Wylie and Gates.  They also neglected the OL in the draft save for Stromberg and Daniels who won't even play this year.  These guys are getting blown off the ball week after and week and it takes the coaching staff an entire half to adjust

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

23 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

They didn't run it back.  They made it worse with the addition of Wylie and Gates.  They also neglected the OL in the draft save for Stromberg and Daniels who won't even play this year.  These guys are getting blown off the ball week after and week and it takes the coaching staff an entire half to adjust

I think what has been the killer has been that the OL coach has been treated as an afterthought. We don't have the best individual players but the confusion on assignments, to include TE, is shocking. The OC and OL Coordinator have to be of the same mindset. They cannot act independently.  Coaching is crap. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I think what has been the killer has been that the OL coach has been treated as an afterthought. We don't have the best individual players but the confusion on assignments, to include TE, is shocking. The OC and OL Coordinator have to be of the same mindset. They cannot act independently.  Coaching is crap. 

Yeah, Matsko had done a pretty good job until last year when they brought in the former Panthers (Norwell and Turner) who sucked.  Their unwillingness to address the OL in the past 2 drafts has really cost them

• Thanks 1

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/7-personnel-executives-who-will-be-2024-nfl-general-manager-candidates/

These are my top two choices in order. I'd love to give Weidl a ten year contract as GM and let him build a team as tough as the Steelers.

Two potential candidates the grew up under Ozzy and Howie is exactly what I want.

steelers-e1676940918298.png Andy Weidl, Asst. GM, Pittsburgh Steelers

Weidl is another Newsome disciple. The former Villanova offensive lineman spent a decade as an area scout for Newsome and the Ravens before joining the Eagles as their assistant director of player personnel in 2016.

He was the Eagles’ vice president of player personnel last year when he interviewed and was a finalist for the Steelers’ GM job. The Steelers ended up staying in-house and hiring Omar Khan, who had been with the organization for more than 20 years. 

“Andy has worked for two outstanding organizations in Philly and Baltimore,’’ Tannenbaum said. “He has a big say now in Pittsburgh and how they procure talent there. He’s a little under the radar from a national perspective. 

bears-e1676941140150.png Ian Cunningham, Asst. GM, Bears

Cunningham is one of two personnel people on this list — Andy Weidl is the other — who learned at the Ozzie Newsome School of Scouting, aka the Baltimore Ravens.

“Guys who learned and trained under Ozzie, it was like getting a law degree from Harvard,’’ said Brian Baldinger, an NFL Network analyst. “He was hard on guys but gave them the leeway to show what they could do.

“Ozzie and the guys that trained under him, they’re not like many other guys. Even in the Ravens’ heyday, if you went to practice, Ozzie seldom was on the field. He’d be in a shed with the lawnmowers watching practice. He felt it wasn’t his job to be in the spotlight.

“He trained his scouts to work on their weaknesses, work on their blind spots. Anybody who trained under Ozzie, you have to take them seriously as a candidate when there is a job opening. It’s like coaching under Andy Reid.’’

Cunningham, 38, learned the trade under Newsome, joining the Ravens in 2008 as a personnel assistant and serving as an area scout for the team from 2013-16.

“That’s where I grew up,’’ he said. “That’s where I cut my teeth.’’

The Philadelphia Eagles hired him in 2017 to be their director of college scouting. He was promoted to assistant director of player personnel in 2019 and director of player personnel in 2021. He was hired by the Chicago Bears last year as their assistant general manager under Ryan Poles.

Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer reported in January that Cunningham was offered the Arizona Cardinals’ GM job that went to Monti Ossenfort but turned it down.

• Like 4

Ben Johnson, offensive coordinator, Lions

“Anything nice anyone tells you about Ben is [probably] true,” says one of Johnson’s former coworkers. This sums up the kind of uniform praise Johnson has received from industry types and fellow coaches alike. What separates him from the pack? “He doesn’t think he knows anything,” the coach says. Another rival coach praised Johnson’s ingenuity with Jared Goff and his openness to new ideas. Johnson’s communication skills are also noteworthy, as are his smarts.

Ejiro Evero, defensive coordinator, Panthers

“Ejiro is a star, man. A bona fide future head coach,” an NFC coach says. “Impressive” was the first word that came on another text about Evero, whose body of work last year as the defensive coordinator with the Broncos is worth a deep dive. Denver allowed 20 or fewer points in nine games last season, but the way in which he manipulated and transformed his personnel to attack opponents on a week-to-week basis was epic. Evero has an elite coaching apprenticeship résumé, having worked under Jim Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Sean McVay and now Frank Reich. 

Frank Smith, offensive coordinator, Dolphins

Smith is a trusted offensive mind in Miami, a place where a lot of the most innovative football thinking and planning is taking place and coaches put up 70 points. There are coaches and people inside the coaching business who love the 42-year-old, who worked with Sean Payton and Jon Gruden in different stops before connecting with Mike McDaniel in Miami. I think all you need to know about Smith is that at each stop throughout his career there has been a player who has lauded him for his interpersonal efforts. We mentioned his work with Darren Waller a year ago. From experience talking to coaches I can say this: He has the mindset that most coaches wish they had the first time they took a big job. Having a conviction about this being a people business—instead of learning it the hard way—makes a big difference.

Press Taylor, offensive coordinator, Jaguars

“Deserves more credit for what’s happening in Jacksonville,” is the way one coach puts it. Press Taylor, the brother of Bengals head coach Zac, is “detailed, a consistent leader and well organized” as well as a “high-level game-planner.” Just 35, Taylor came up in the notorious Philadelphia coaching incubator, starting in quality control in 2013 and working his way up to quarterbacks coach in ’20. Taylor was an offensive assistant for the Colts in ’21 before rejoining Doug Pederson in Jacksonville for the ’22 season, which timed with the Jaguars’ immediate resurgence.

Josh McCown, quarterbacks coach, Panthers

McCown’s advantage, according to those familiar with his work, is (and really always has been) his nomadic playing lifestyle. McCown played for Mike Martz, Lane Kiffin, Mike McCoy, John DeFilippo, Doug Pederson, Adam Gase, Frank Reich and so on. The point being: Is there really anything he’s going to face as a game-planner that he hasn’t been exposed to? McCown came into Carolina with a brand-new offensive staff under Reich, which has allowed him to learn the coaching business from the ground up. The Panthers’ staff is also interesting because it was deliberately a hybrid staff. McCown is going to get pieces of the McVay offense as well as Reich’s system.

Shane Waldron, offensive coordinator, Seahawks

A big whiff from this list last year, Waldron, who left the Sean McVay enclave in Los Angeles, is coming into his own as a play-caller following the trade of Russell Wilson. “Dark horse” was how one industry insider labeled Waldron, a coach who oversaw Geno Smith’s Comeback Player of the Year campaign. The 44-year-old has coached at all levels, for Bill Belichick in New England, McVay in Los Angeles and now Pete Carroll in Seattle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Waldron is intriguing to me.  So is Ben Johnson.  

Yeah Waldron sounds like he could be interesting. Got away from McVay and runs a pretty good offense in Seattle, helping to revive Geno Smith's career. And I like that he's coached under three different Super Bowl winning coaches. Kinda gives me Steve Kerr in the NBA vibes.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Waldron sounds like he could be interesting. Got away from McVay and runs a pretty good offense in Seattle, helping to revive Geno Smith's career. And I like that he's coached under three different Super Bowl winning coaches. Kinda gives me Steve Kerr in the NBA vibes.

Count me out, then. I don't want a coach who goes for 3's when we need a touchdown.

2 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Guys like Johnson and Smith of the Dolphins are quite intriguing.  There will probably be a long list of suitors for their services.  It will up to the next GM about the direction to go though  

Those are my two picks, too.

The advantage we have is the blank canvas and the desire to do it the opposite of how it was done under Snyder. To have that big of a contrast is pretty damn enticing.

We've got a good, young QB, a hungry set of core players, an owner who's hands off, and a fanbase who couldn't be disappointed.

I think we're higher on the list than most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

I think Brian Flores (HC) is intriguing because he's been an offensive assistant, special team coach, pro scout and obviously D coord.  He has that Vikings D balling. 

He was bad and stewarded a horrendous locker room in Miami while he was there, no thanks.  

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Tua was a bust with him. No.

100% agree.  Tua was looking like a bust, before Flores got fired.  McDaniel turned Tua from being a possible bust into a Top 10 QB if healthy.  I don't want ANY DC as HC.  Been there done that.  I want an innovative, young offensive mind like Ben Johnson or a Shane Steichen type.  Look at how the Colts looked on Sunday, with a backup QB and little in the way of weapons other than Jonathan Taylor.  They hung 38 on the best defense in the league.  Anthony Richardson was tearing it up in his brief time as starter before he got hurt.  I want to poach any OC from either the 49ers, Seahawks or Dolphins.  No more DC's who don't understand today's offenses and NO more retreads.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2