Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Paddleboat Ron leaves, is promoted, or traded at the deadline, who do you want as our next coach?

Redskinscub

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To give him credit he's hit and miss like the rest of us.  But what's annoying is he rarely references his misses.

I recall for example him touting Kirk before they drafted him.  He was out on Wentz from the jump the previous off season.  Took an odd journey with Haskins where he didn't like him before the draft but then bought into him after seeing him play.  Yeah Darnold he was dead wrong about.  Ditto Trask.

Sheehan is just a guy with opinions. He doesn't do film breakdowns or have special insight like Cooley or Gruden do. It's just a guy saying he likes this one and not this one and it's fine, but it's nothing for people to be referencing like it's got value. 

He in particular doesn't seem to value elite QBs more than just good ones. He gets all excited about guys like Daniel Jones and Kenny Pickett and really wanted to draft Malik Willis. None of those guys are ever, even at their best, going to be the kinds of guys who would elevate teams to the top. It's weird because he talks a lot about how elite QBs are the way to become perennial title contenders and then goes o and on about the likes of Sam Darnold. 

It's also kind of strange that he is so incredibly infatuated with Kirk Cousins and hates Derek Carr. I don't have anything particular against Kirk, but he is on the same tier as Carr. Maybe a bit better, but there is no reason to love KC's game and hate Carr's.

• Thanks 1

Was listening to Craig Hoffman who said he interviewed a TV boradcaster who covers the NFL and he asked him based on what he's found in the pregame meetings that he has with coaches anyone stand out among the assistants.

And he was told Ben Johnson is in his own orbit as the standout dude in that settings -- presence, knowledge, etc.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Sheehan is just a guy with opinions. He doesn't do film breakdowns or have special insight like Cooley or Gruden do. It's just a guy saying he likes this one and not this one and it's fine, but it's nothing for people to be referencing like it's got value. 

He in particular doesn't seem to value elite QBs more than just good ones. He gets all excited about guys like Daniel Jones and Kenny Pickett and really wanted to draft Malik Willis. None of those guys are ever, even at their best, going to be the kinds of guys who would elevate teams to the top. It's weird because he talks a lot about how elite QBs are the way to become perennial title contenders and then goes o and on about the likes of Sam Darnold. 

It's also kind of strange that he is so incredibly infatuated with Kirk Cousins and hates Derek Carr. I don't have anything particular against Kirk, but he is on the same tier as Carr. Maybe a bit better, but there is no reason to love KC's game and hate Carr's.

I think Sheehan is wildly enteraining as a radio host so I don't get this Bayless streak im him where like Bayless he plays amateur scout and is hung up on getting things right.   He doesn't need to play that game IMO.

As I've talked about before, Cooley created a monster in Sheehan when he temporarily got it right with Cory Clement when Cooley didn't like him.  Cooley ended up right but for a few games Sheehan looked good.  And then he'd give other takes during-post Cooley film review.  But Cooley praised Sheehan for Clement at the time and it seemed to go to his head.

He's somewhat all over the place on QBs.  He loved Aaron Rodgers and wanted this team to try to get him for years.    He's also on the train of keep swinging in the draft until you find your QB.   I think he likes having off beat takes because it looks better when you are right.  I think the Kirk stuff is good on his end.  He liked Kirk before the draft.  That's a good get from him.  I am in the camp that agreed with him that Bruce-Dan botched the negotiation. 

I used to like Carr.  I wonder what happened to him?  In 2021, he looked like he was coming into his own, then he started to decline.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Sheehan is wildly enteraining as a radio host so I don't get this Bayless streak im him where like Bayless he plays amateur scout and is hung up on getting things right.   He doesn't need to play that game IMO.

As I've talked about before, Cooley created a monster in Sheehan when he temporarily got it right with Cory Clement when Cooley didn't like him.  Cooley ended up right but for a few games Sheehan looked good.  And then he'd give other takes during-post Cooley film review.  But Cooley praised Sheehan for Clement at the time and it seemed to go to his head.

He's somewhat all over the place on QBs.  He loved Aaron Rodgers and wanted this team to try to get him for years.    He's also on the train of keep swinging in the draft until you find your QB.   I think he likes having off beat takes because it looks better when you are right.  I think the Kirk stuff is good on his end.  He liked Kirk before the draft.  That's a good get from him.  I am in the camp that agreed with him that Bruce-Dan botched the negotiation. 

I used to like Carr.  I wonder what happened to him?  In 2021, he looked like he was coming into his own, then he started to decline.  

Again, not anything against Cousins. He has been a very good QB. Not elite, which Sheehan even acknowledges. But until maybe last year, Carr was very much on the same level. It's silly to love one and hate the other. 

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Interesting how stuff about Flores tenure with Dolphins is coming up again. 

Because his failures were the origin story for a bunch of the Dolphins current foundational players, so as they ascend, naturally the depths they started from are re-examined. 

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was listening to Craig Hoffman who said he interviewed a TV boradcaster who covers the NFL and he asked him based on what he's found in the pregame meetings that he has with coaches anyone stand out among the assistants.

And he was told Ben Johnson is in his own orbit as the standout dude in that settings -- presence, knowledge, etc.

On question is who matches up with him as the new GM?  Guesstimate who would be @Skinsinparadise.  Thanks in advance. :) 

Edited by RWJ

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing about Sheehan is he loves college ball, more than pro. So he watches it. He doesn't study it like a scout but he puts in more effort than a regular fan. So he's watching 4 or 5 or 6 games a weekend. I mean he's a gambling addict. He gambles on everything including these games the point spreads yards, etc. so I didn't think he's watching things like the technique as good as Logan Paulson but he has an informed opinion. It's wrong sometimes (Darnold, Fields) but he's not screaming at callers about it. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

he's not screaming at callers about it. 

Like Chris Russell

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I will run around the house screaming like I did when news broke Snyder was selling the team. I burst into my wife’s office, while she was on a call, dancing around the room like an idiot. She didn’t get mad, she understood.

But I digress. The only two coaches to make Jared Goff good are Sean McVay and Ben Johnson. I’d love to see what he can do with Howell (or Daniels?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

The thing about Sheehan is he loves college ball, more than pro. So he watches it. He doesn't study it like a scout but he puts in more effort than a regular fan. So he's watching 4 or 5 or 6 games a weekend. I mean he's a gambling addict. He gambles on everything including these games the point spreads yards, etc. so I didn't think he's watching things like the technique as good as Logan Paulson but he has an informed opinion. It's wrong sometimes (Darnold, Fields) but he's not screaming at callers about it. 

You would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan here of Sheehan than me.  Whenever he retires from talk radio and Keim does from covering the beat -- it will be a sad day for me, both are legends IMO.

He's not a screamer type about anything.  Yes, he watches a lot of college football.  And sometimes he's right about players he likes.  And also sometimes he's wrong too.  Just like all of us.  The cool thing I find about him among other things is he can converse football whether its college or the NFL and can go back on so many topics and do it effortlessly.

The Darnold stuff though came off over the top for him, nonstop.  It's cool in a vaccum considering any one of us who take strong stances on players or whatever are going to get some of it wrong.  If we are getting it right nonstop, we'd be lying.  Parcells liked to say the best scouts are wrong 50% of the time.  So if we are beating that than we are in the wrong business and that would include Sheehan -- but Sheehan downplays or doesn't mention some of what he gets wrong. 

To your gambiling point, he's super open about what he gets wrong on that.   But considering how relentless he was on Darnold, you figured just once he would say I got that one wrong.

Edited by Skinsinparadise