Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Washington @ Atlanta

zCommander

Just now, Conn said:

why? You can still get into field goal range even if you don’t actually complete a pass along the boundary until 3rd down. Very little time runs off the clock on a throwaway, it doesn’t really matter on which down you move the sticks in that situation as long as you don’t burn too much clock. And then you get another set of downs to do the same thing.

Not to mention the calling, execution and pace of those 2nd and 3rd down plays probably go differently if you aren’t rushing to the line bc the clock is running due to sacks. Instead the clock would be stopped from incompletions and you could take longer choosing and getting a play in, getting set and seeing what look the defense gives you, etc. The odds of a conversion on 2nd or 3rd down increase with incompletions over sacks there imo. 

3rd down, once the play failed, was the time to take the sack or run around. Kill clock because you’re gonna punt to then anyways after failing to convert. But on 1st and 2nd down incompletions are no doubt better if you actually want to score. Sacks and keeping the clock running are only better on 1st and 2nd down if you take it as fated that we’re gonna fail on 3rd down and have to punt away to them anyways—I don’t think that’s necessarily true if he’d thrown incompletions on 1st and 2nd down though. I think they’d have a better shot at driving for points. 

Simple. We had a lead. This team hasn’t been known for its D this year. Atlanta got the ball in the second half. Get to the half.

You don’t need to chase points. Run the ball on first and see what happens and gauge from there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Chase Young, Daron Payne, Jon Allen, or Montez Sweat make a ****ing play challenge… impossible 

Can one of these overrated jokers make a ****ing play? 

They are crushing the run game tho honestly 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I can see that. I don’t like the percentages. Our guys weren’t getting open and Atlanta was sitting on the boundaries. We had no timeouts. Take the sack, protect the ball and run the clock.

In that case you may as well just kneel or run the ball then, it’s defeatist. In my other response to you I just detailed why, but I think the percentages go up on further playcalls if you throw incompletions on 1st and/or 2nd down and don’t have to rush the subsequent plays due to sacks letting the clock run. Just my opinion 

1 minute ago, dyst said:

I can understand that line of thinking but you take the sack and you risk injury, you risk a fumble and worse of all you give the opposing team and sense of momentum. Just has to be careful, this is way to many hits. 

Agree. I would have run the ball and see what happened. Protect the lead. But not everyone is me.