Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

You haven't built anything until you have your long term QB.

It is THE foundation piece of a rebuild.  All you're doing is wasting years of the careers of your other players and burning through the grace period of your FO and coaching staff until you get that QB.  Get that **** done year one, especially when you have the golden opportunity of a high pick in a good QB draft.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm still reluctant to take a QB in the first round because a Ramseyed QB does us no good. Both of our OTs need to be replaced, one of them desperately needs it.

Agreed. I do think there’s 2 scenarios our future FO can take. Path 1, rebuild the OL and address QB in R2 with eyes on 2025 as well. In this scenario, the higher we pick the more ransom we can hold teams for the pick. 

Path 2 is kitchen sink. Draft the QB and use a ton of picks on the OL. I HAVE to think we add at least one high level starter in FA. Then draft 2 guys in the 2nd. Or trade picks to get into R1 again for a LT. 

Something to consider. If you draft Daniels or Maye at 3 … would you be comfortable trading #36 and a 2025 1st to come back into the Top 15 for an OT? If Latham falls to pick 11/12 or Mims enters the draft and is there at 13-15? 

3. Daniels

15. Mims

42. OG Barton/Jackson/Bebe

No 1st in 2025 but you’ve rebuilt the OL and have your franchise QB. 

You’d need to use FA to add assets on defense. Especially since you wouldn’t have a premier pick next year to go Edge or DB or whatever our glaring defensive need would be. 

But having a franchise LT and QB on rookie contracts would allow you to get super aggressive in FA in 2025 too, presuming that you wouldn’t necessarily be able to bank on that scenario playing out in this draft during this free agent cycle. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

The only game changing individual positions are QB, elite offensive skill players, elite DBs, and elite pass rushers (either LB, Edge, or IDL).  That's the whole list.  Your OL is a collective that you build incrementally and is all about continuity and competence.  You find Aaron Banks and play him next to a good vet until he gets good, then you move someone else up beside him from the pipeline once someone else ages out or you can't pay him any more, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm still reluctant to take a QB in the first round because a Ramseyed QB does us no good. Both of our OTs need to be replaced, one of them desperately needs it.

This is one of the better drafts I can remember that would allow for both. We can (hopefully) nail down our QB for the foreseeable future and fix our OL. A competent FO should be able to do this.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

There is no such thing as a franchise LT.  It's not a position that makes your team any more.  You do not need to give up extra picks to find competent play at the position.

I also think the rise in QB mobility has decreased the need for elite LT play. Today’s QBs seem to have a better sixth sense to escape blind side pressure in the pocket vs the past. Leno level play is good enough. He is not the issue - LG, C and RT are. If you can get average+ folks in all three roles with a real veteran OL coach, you likely have at least a solid OL next year even if Leno is your starting LT

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It is THE foundation piece of a rebuild.  All you're doing is wasting years of the careers of your other players and burning through the grace period of your FO and coaching staff until you get that QB.  Get that **** done year one, especially when you have the golden opportunity of a high pick in a good QB draft.

Right. For all we know we will never be in this drafting position again. And it costs us almost nothing to take a shot at a guy right now. 

And generally my ideal strategy, is build both lines, get a run game and then draft a QB every year until you find the right guy. But we have a shot right now that we just conceivably wont have going forward. You shoot that shot. Even if its 40/60. You shoot it. It makes everything easier if it goes in.  

• Like 3

Mock drafts out yesterday and today are interesting. I just looked at PFN, SI, CBSSports, 33rd Team … all of them have the same 1-4

CHI: Williams

ARZ: Harrison, Jr

WAS: Maye

NE: Daniels 

lots will change but if the sense is the Cards of MHJ no matter what, we could be sitting at #3 choosing between Maye and Daniels. Nuts

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Mock drafts out yesterday and today are interesting. I just looked at PFN, SI, CBSSports, 33rd Team … all of them have the same 1-4

lots will change but if the sense is the Cards of MHJ no matter what, we could be sitting at #3 choosing between Maye and Daniels. Nuts

Hopefully we don't do anything stupid like winning one of our last two games

• Thumb up 2

48 minutes ago, method man said:

I also think the rise in QB mobility has decreased the need for elite LT play. Today’s QBs seem to have a better sixth sense to escape blind side pressure in the pocket vs the past. Leno level play is good enough. He is not the issue - LG, C and RT are. If you can get average+ folks in all three roles with a real veteran OL coach, you likely have at least a solid OL next year even if Leno is your starting LT

Yeah I've been critical about the job Ron has done on the O line.  But Leno isn't the issue.  

IMO fixing the three spots you mention would make a world of difference.  Arguably it would be an above average O line if they did.  LT isn't the code red spot on this O line. 

And the early 2nd, heck even early 3rd is typically ideal territory for upgrading RG and G and C.  And FA is fine as to the interior.

I've blasted this FO since after the draft for them doing nothing to improve the O line.  But IMO some now are taking the position to the extreme.  Our whole off season isn't hostage to the O line.  It's a much bigger deal to find that QB, i am surprised its even a debate with some. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Arizona could swap 2 and 4 with the Patriots to let the Pats take Maye and still have a good chance at Harrison at 4. Unless they’re concerned we trade out of 3 to someone coming up for MHJ if Maye is gone at 2. Lot of variables. Would be best to just end up at #2 on our own. And there’s many saying now Daniels could go ahead of Maye in which case we could have Maye come to us at 3 no matter what. And maybe our future FO will prefer Daniels to Maye anyway. If we are at 2 we at least get to make that choice on our own and be able to plan the off season around having our choice of 2 of the 3 QBs presuming one goes at #1. Things are a bit less certain with ARZ at 2. We can assume they go MHJ but it’s far from a certainty. 

23 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

FWIW from Walterfootball

NFL Team Logo for Cardinals Arizona Cardinals: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State Image for OSU

Mike Jurecki is the best team reporter in the business. He has never gotten anything wrong about the Cardinals as far as I know. He says that if Arizona obtains the No. 1 (or Nos. 2 or 3) pick, it’ll trade out of it and draft Marvin Harrison Jr. to replace DeAndre Hopkins because the team is stuck with Kyler Murray’s contract.

Harrison is a 6-foot-4 receiver who happens to be a huge mismatch weapon. He was sorely missed in the college football semi-final versus Georgia when he suffered a concussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

You can have a great QB but if you do not win what is the difference? Stafford never won in Detroit as a example. They are winning without him.

5 minutes ago, FrFan said:

FWIW from Walterfootball

NFL Team Logo for Cardinals Arizona Cardinals: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State Image for OSU

Mike Jurecki is the best team reporter in the business. He has never gotten anything wrong about the Cardinals as far as I know. He says that if Arizona obtains the No. 1 (or Nos. 2 or 3) pick, it’ll trade out of it and draft Marvin Harrison Jr. to replace DeAndre Hopkins because the team is stuck with Kyler Murray’s contract.

Harrison is a 6-foot-4 receiver who happens to be a huge mismatch weapon. He was sorely missed in the college football semi-final versus Georgia when he suffered a concussion.

Good! I had not considered them at #1. A lot would need to happen. I think Carolina would need to win its last 2 games. If so, and we pick 3, that would be super interesting. Would we go up 2 for Caleb or let the draft come to us? I don’t expect the Bears to trade #1 though. 

And if the Bears are #2, do they trade out, take Maye, or take Harrison? So many variables. But it’ll become more clear once the season is over and the draft order is set. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You make sure he's not Ramseyed.  Look what the Texans did when they drafted Stroud.  They invested heavily in the OL and protection.

You can "fix" the OL quickly with the assets we have.  It won't be the Eagles OL.  But it can be MUCH better than it is now.  

The other thing you need is a coordinator who knows how to spoon feed an offense to a QB.  This doesn't mean running the ball 70% of the time, but it means running more effectively, minimizing known passing situations, and scheming up 10-12 one-read throws per game which can be easy completions.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah, the mistake is when teams reach for one becuase they need a QB. A Trubisky or a Josh Rosen, or a.... Haskins, RIP.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Good! I had not considered them at #1. A lot would need to happen. I think Carolina would need to win its last 2 games. If so, and we pick 3, that would be super interesting. Would we go up 2 for Caleb or let the draft come to us? I don’t expect the Bears to trade #1 though. 

And if the Bears are #2, do they trade out, take Maye, or take Harrison? So many variables. But it’ll become more clear once the season is over and the draft order is set. 

imo in that scenario we’d probably see both of the top two picks traded. Cards would move down to maybe 3 and hope for Harrison. Bears could either take Harrison at 2 or look to move back and acquire more picks. 

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I've been critical about the job Ron has done on the O line.  But Leno isn't the issue.  

IMO fixing the three spots you mention would make a world of difference.  Arguably it would be an above average O line if they did.  LT isn't the code red spot on this O line. 

And the early 2nd, heck even early 3rd is typically ideal territory for upgrading RG and G and C.  And FA is fine as to the interior.

I've blasted this FO since after the draft for them doing nothing to improve the O line.  But IMO some now are taking the position to the extreme.  Our whole off season isn't hostage to the O line.  It's a much bigger deal to find that QB, i am surprised its even a debate with some. 

We don't need to upgrade RG. Cosmi had been playing good. Just LG, C and RT. 

On another note. Root for the Bucs to win the Division on Sunday and for the Panthers to beat the Jags. If both happen the Panther play the Bucs the last game of the year and most likely the Bucs sit their starters.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

We don't need to upgrade RG. Cosmi had been playing good. Just LG, C and RT. 

On another note. Root for the Bucs to win the Division on Sunday and for the Panthers to beat the Jags. If both happen the Panther play the Bucs the last game of the year and most likely the Bucs sit their starters.

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. Hopefully Lawrence can't play this week, or is severely limited. 

33 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Carolina wins their last 2 we will be picking 2nd not 3rd. We hold tiebreaker due to SOS. Also if Arizona wins 1 more we jump them as well.

1 minute ago, djpapeleta360 said:

If Carolina wins their last 2 we will be picking 2nd not 3rd. We hold tiebreaker due to SOS. Also if Arizona wins 1 more we jump them as well.

The tiebreakers with New England and Carolina are still very much up in the air. If we lose out, we could easily pick 4th. We could also move up to 1, but that is a long shot. 

3 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

I would not, the Dan Snyder days are over we hope.  If you are going to be like Baltimore than act like them, this trade would never happen and most likely take next year's 1st instead of or including this year's 3rd for that projected player. The Ravens wait at the end of the rd, take the best player to fall and take him, maybe trade down, not up.  USC went 7and 5 with the (projected) Mahomes why?   

USC had no defense this year. They were so bad the DC ended up getting fired.

And btw, Mahomes himself was a whopping 0-12 against ranked opponents in college.

The GM/HC will suss out the diva/character concerns, but if they fall in love with Caleb, it likely wouldn’t be exorbitant to move up two spots to make sure they can get him. Why do you think it would take two 1sts and a 2nd to move up from 3 to 1?

3 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

I would not, the Dan Snyder days are over we hope.  If you are going to be like Baltimore than act like them, this trade would never happen and most likely take next year's 1st instead of or including this year's 3rd for that projected player. The Ravens wait at the end of the rd, take the best player to fall and take him, maybe trade down, not up.  USC went 7and 5 with the (projected) Mahomes why?   

USC had no defense this year. They were so bad the DC ended up getting fired.

And btw, Mahomes himself was a whopping 0-12 against ranked opponents in college.

The GM/HC will suss out the diva/character concerns, but if they fall in love with Caleb, it likely wouldn’t be exorbitant to move up two spots to make sure they can get him. Why do you think it would take two 1sts and a 2nd to move up from 3 to 1?

• Like 1