Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

41 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The only surprise with Lions is that they are in the nfc championship game, they were favs to win their division.

I think it is a surprise in terms of expectations that they were this good. I think people were still skeptical going in, how good could they be? Then it became a forgone conclusion after Cousins went down, that the division was there's completely as long as they didn't fumble it away. 

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I haven't gone to camps recently so I don't really have any first hand knowledge, but I think its probably impossible me to not filter the information I am getting through an optimistic lenses.  I am not a major homer or anything like that, but its so difficult to not be a homer at all in the offseason.  Once the season starts and the losses come in, its easier to be realistic though some fans take that too far and over react to losses IMO.

Yeah that's the challenge, you want to see things via on optimistic prisim because heck who wants to feel down in the summer.  Plus in my cast I am flying up to watch, so am already invested literally.  

48 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Defense is basically yuck other than the DT's who are at the tail end of their primes and a couple promising guys in the secondary who could be better with better coaching and scheme. 

Not great at all, not any elite anything, and not much that's good AND young if anything. Not great. So glad we have some extra picks, and a GM whose open minded, flexible and insightful historically. 

the defense is basically the same lineup of the 2022 3rd ranked defense minus Montez Sweat with the adddtion of Forbes and Quan.

It's a poorly coached unit.

Heck I can recall like yesterday the scrimmages against the Ravens where the talk was we had the more talented defense and that the Ravens pass rush was "meh".

Now months later from some i noticed its that hey the Ravens defense is loaded and our defense has nothing.

They can fix this defense fast.  It won't take forever IMO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But also the idea that you can't rebuild fast and it takes a long time is also outdated.  Very pre 2015.    

I think things really took a turn with the rookie wage scale.  Best value is a good player on rookie contract, meaning the meat of a successful team often gets comprised of 5+ high priced players with rookie contracts and cheaper vets filling the other central roles.  Factoring in the 25% churn every year, roster age has been getting younger for a long time now.  By year 3 of a new rebuild, that roster should look dramatically different and if the team is still rebuilding or stuck in neutral, then something likely has gone off the rails.  

41 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I think things really took a turn with the rookie wage scale.  Best value is a good player on rookie contract, meaning the meat of a successful team often gets comprised of 5+ high priced players with rookie contracts and cheaper vets filling the other central roles.  

Yeah, the NFL players thought they were going to get more of the money by putting a cap on rookie contracts. Instead, now they just get replaced unless they are the top at their position in the entire league. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah, the NFL players thought they were going to get more of the money by putting a cap on rookie contracts. Instead, now they just get replaced unless they are the top at their position in the entire league. 

The NFL players already in the league DID get more money with the rookie cap.  Remember that outrageous rookie contract Sam Bradford got?  They had to do something. 

And players get replaced because of the salary cap, not the rookie cap.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think its fine drafting a talented RB high in the 1st when you already have a good team and just need that one last x factor to take you over the top. You're getting 4, possibly 5 years of high quality play for fairly cheap and then you can just let them walk.

My issue is how many downs does Gibbs actually play?  He just doesn't make the impact that players at other positions make because they are playing far more snaps.  And again you can get somebody similar to him, or at least close, in a later round.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

By NFL players you mean vets vs. rookies, right?

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

My issue is how many downs does Gibbs actually play?  He just doesn't make the impact that players at other positions make because they are playing far more snaps.  And again you can get somebody similar to him, or at least close, in a later round.

Looks like David Montgomery has 218 carries to Gibbs's 182 carries. Not a really huge disparity. Although I am not sure what the snap count totals are.

I'm not sure we can find someone all that similar to him. The guy is an unbelievably special talent. Definitely elite speed, agility, and athleticism.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I think it is a surprise in terms of expectations that they were this good. I think people were still skeptical going in, how good could they be? Then it became a forgone conclusion after Cousins went down, that the division was there's completely as long as they didn't fumble it away. 

I know some predicted Vikings as champs but knowing Kirk’s up and down history, Lions being thought to win division wasn’t surprising.

Dan Campbell came into last season with the seat a little warm. Lions were thinking, maybe we made the wrong hire. That poor start didn’t help but Lions turned it around to finish 9-8 and almost made playoffs. Everyone expected Lions to be a playoff team this year, at least.

11 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Looks like David Montgomery has 218 carries to Gibbs's 182 carries. Not a really huge disparity. Although I am not sure what the snap count totals are.

I'm not sure we can find someone all that similar to him. The guy is an unbelievably special talent. Definitely elite speed, agility, and athleticism.

Thanks for the breakdown, seems to me when I watch them Montgomery gets twice as many carries so this is surprising.  

Thanks for the breakdown, seems to me when I watch them Montgomery gets twice as many carries so this is surprising.  

Yw. My brother had DM on his fantasy team and would get furious whenever Gibbs snap counts increased. Lol. On the other hand you couldn't blame Dan/Ben because Gibbs is such a massive weapon. I feel like Gibson was supposed to be our version of Gibbs. It just never really materialized 😥

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Jaylen Wright, Tennessee?

5 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Yw. My brother had DM on his fantasy team and would get furious whenever Gibbs snap counts increased. Lol. On the other hand you couldn't blame Dan/Ben because Gibbs is such a massive weapon. I feel like Gibson was supposed to be our version of Gibbs. It just never really materialized 😥

Gibson has good straight line speed but no wiggle and got shoestring tackled way too often. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Number 44 said:

Jaylen Wright, Tennessee?

Possibly. However doing it at the NCAA level and NFL level are quite different. As a WVU fan, I remember WR Tavon Austin being such a phenomenal athlete. With incredible speed, quickness, and elusiveness. He was a truly elite college receiver but never did much in the NFL. He was in the league a long time and made good money but never had a big impact statistically or otherwise. De'Anthony Thomas ( black mamba ) from Oregon was the same way. He was sensational in college, yet he's currently not even on an NFL team. I guess that's why it's so hard to hit consistently in the draft.

20 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

The cap is set as a percent of revenues.  The rookie salary scale did and never could do anything to affect how much money went to players over all.  It could only affect what players get the money.  The players certainly understood that when they agreed to it.

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

The cap is set as a percent of revenues.  The rookie salary scale did and never could do anything to affect how much money went to players over all.  It could only affect what players get the money.  The players certainly understood that when they agreed to it.

I don’t think the downstream effects were considered by the majority of the players represented by the NFLPA. In terms of how it would affect the vast majority of mid-level veteran players who don’t get the big bucks. Yeah, top rookies were coming in and earning higher contracts than good, proven players. They addressed that well. But all that money went to the top 20% of players. Their contracts keep going up whole solid, above vet min type veterans are priced out by cheap mid and late round rookie contracts and UDFA’s. That has become more stark with those cheap mid/late round rookie picks. Very difficult to make a career as a good Special Teams veteran now unless you’re a team captain/glue guy. You basically wash out of the league after your rookie contract if you are “just” a Special Teams guy, unless you’re, well, special. Same for role players on offense and defense. More cost-effective for most teams to replace you with a guy on a rookie contract who may have a higher ceiling. And if they don’t, they’re gone for the next rookie contract guy, likely. The league wasn’t always like that. I don’t think the vast majority of mediocre veteran players knew this is what they were voting for at the time.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Gibson has good straight line speed but no wiggle and got shoestring tackled way too often. 

He has zero vision and doesn't follow blockers. He's 235lbs and avoids contact. And he loves to fumble the ball and his favorite place to do it, is the redzone.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He has zero vision and doesn't follow blockers. He's 235lbs and avoids contact. And he loves to fumble the ball and his favorite place to do it, is the redzone.

Since he converted from WR to RB he doesn't have that true RB bruising personality or drive to push through guys. BRob is better at that and is able to carry guys on his back but he also has vision issues as well at times. BRob can do better, hopefully, with better OL blocking. 

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Since he converted from WR to RB he doesn't have that true RB bruising personality or drive to push through guys. BRob is better at that and is able to carry guys on his back but he also has vision issues as well at times. BRob can do better, hopefully, with better OL blocking. 

I'll continue to say it. Our fans overrated B Rob because he makes a few good runs. But if you really look at the starting RBs around the league he is below average.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll continue to say it. Our fans overrated B Rob because he makes a few good runs. But if you really look at the starting RBs around the league he is below average.  

He is not a Jamir Gibbs that's for shore, speed kills. But he has improved in the passing and always has been a decent back that could improve with the right coaching.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:00 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

I would like to see Gibbs and Montgomery on the field together using Gibbs as a slot guy where they use him on screens, as a decoy, crossing routes all while Montgomery can pound the ball. They could run Gibbs on jet sweeps too....

Trade #2 for the bears latter 1st+justin fields+2 more future 1sts. I really think fields is on the way up.

We take the best ot or bowers or nabers if he is there and then have 4 1st rounders over the next to years.

• Thumb down 2

37 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Trade #2 for the bears latter 1st+justin fields+2 more future 1sts. I really think fields is on the way up.

We take the best ot or bowers or nabers if he is there and then have 4 1st rounders over the next to years.

Why would the bears do that?

38 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I just…I cant

• Haha 1