Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

No I am not saying that but you also don't have to take a QB at 2. Maybe they trade down to 5 because someone really wants to get MHJ before the Cardinals and we take Daniels or whomever and get more picks.

People always make generalizations about Mahomes or Allen without mentioning Mahomes going to an amazing situation where Alex Smith had repeatedly taken the Chiefs to the playoffs and he sat and watched and learned for a year. Or Allen being so inaccurate coming into the NFL nobody was sure if the Bills would stick with him and him documenting the year plus of work he did to become better. 

I am saying because the general consensus is that its Williams or Maye at 2 and this board seems married to the idea, doesn't mean it has to be that way or that is how the GM and HC will see it. There is also the combine, pro days, Senior Bowl, interviews, etc

Of course we are just speculating and a lot will depend on the new staff's evaluation process and preferences. Maybe the HC values Jayden Daniels' mobility over Maye's pocket passing. Maybe they have character concerns about Caleb - who knows.

But that notwithstanding, when you need a quarterback and are sitting at 2 overall in a draft generally thought to be deep at the position, it would be very risky IMO not to use that pick to select your favorite (or second favorite) QB. And if you go a different direction, it better be right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seeing reports (probably speculation more than anything) that Fields can be had for a low 2nd or high 3rd.   Intriguing to me.  Trade away a 3rd for him and sit tight at 2 taking Maye or Williams.  Hmm

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, rumplestilskin said:

The combine and proday's for the QB's will be must watch TV. Probably more entertaining than any Commanders games have been this season.

ProDays for Williams, Maye, Daniels and possibly Penix IF he wins the CFB Championship for the Huskies.  He'd have to have a great performance though, then the Combine for the others.  

• Like 2

IMO the most important things will be behind the scenes in interviews, especially for Williams since he has some potential character concerns about maturity and his attitude. The combine and pro days will be good for finding out their true height and weight and will be fun to watch, but all 3 of the top prospects have very little question about their physical abilities.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Seeing reports (probably speculation more than anything) that Fields can be had for a low 2nd or high 3rd.   Intriguing to me.  Trade away a 3rd for him and sit tight at 2 taking Maye or Williams.  Hmm

If he had two years left on his contract, I'd consider it but you're getting a 1-year rental at 6 million. 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I have to think ATL did not give up a 2nd for Sweat because they were saving it for Fields.

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Of course we are just speculating and a lot will depend on the new staff's evaluation process and preferences. Maybe the HC values Jayden Daniels' mobility over Maye's pocket passing. Maybe they have character concerns about Caleb - who knows.

But that notwithstanding, when you need a quarterback and are sitting at 2 overall in a draft generally thought to be deep at the position, it would be very risky IMO not to use that pick to select your favorite (or second favorite) QB. And if you go a different direction, it better be right. 

Yes but the "you better be right" applies no matter what they do. 

The Panthers were aggressive, identified their guy, traded up to get them and.. welp

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yes but the "you better be right" applies no matter what they do. 

The Panthers were aggressive, identified their guy, traded up to get them and.. welp

I disagree. A GM will not lose his/her job for drafting Drake Maye at 2 overall even if Maye busts.

Over time, they will have to find a QB of course. But spending high first round picks on top QB prospects is not a politically costly decision, not nearly as costly as trading down and missing out on a franchise guy to take a Tier 2 guy who busts. That's when you get into "fireable offense" territory   

• Like 3

Anyone else concerned the Giants may end up with Caleb Williams or Jayden Daniels?  

That would suck.

How do we deter the Bears from a trade down with our arch rivals?

One way is to make clear that we will take MHJ at 2 if he’s available (and mean it).  That would make Chicago think twice about a trade back.

1 minute ago, skinsarethebest said:

Anyone else concerned the Giants may end up with Caleb Williams or Jayden Daniels?  

That would suck.

One way is to make clear that we will take MHJ at 2 if he’s available (and mean it).  That would make Chicago think twice about a trade back.

We won’t know what Chicago’s intentions are until the Fields factor is determined. That’s going to be the biggest giveaway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

That would suck.

Did you get this off of CBS Sports Mock Draft?

10 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I disagree. A GM will not lose his/her job for drafting Drake Maye at 2 overall even if Maye busts.

Over time, they will have to find a QB of course. But spending high first round picks on top QB prospects is not a politically costly decision, not nearly as costly as trading down and missing out on a franchise guy to take a Tier 2 guy who busts. That's when you get into "fireable offense" territory   

I don't think a GM loses their job for moving down from 2 to 5 or something, getting extra picks and drafting Daniels instead of Maye at 2. Lamar and Mahomes were considered tier 2 guys or late 1st rounders. 

And this also assumes that Maye will prove he is a "franchise guy" immediately or in his rookie year which is highly unlikely (for any of these QBs tbh). 

I guess where we disagree is whether Maye or Williams are or will be considered "can't miss franchise guys"

While we are talking about Mahomes

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Tua had just the one hip injury. Gore tore his ACL once. Stafford never missed a game in college.

Penix has *two* ACL tears and two throwing shoulder injuries already. It's a far more extensive injury history than the guys you listed.

We'll see where he goes in a few months. But I would be stunned if someone used a top 10 pick on him. 

I'm not debating anything, just want to correct the record on Gore.  He tore both his ACL's while in college.

Frank Gore is already one of the most accomplished former Miami Hurricanes football players to ever grace the gridiron. His 2004 season at Miami and NFL career that followed is even more impressive considering he tore both his ACLs (2001 and 2003) before he was drafted.Jun 15, 2022

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2022/6/15/23166014/miami-hurricanes-football-what-if-wednesdays-what-if-frank-gore-never-tore-both-his-acls-in-college#:~:text=Frank Gore is already one,2003) before he was drafted.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

And then dealing Howell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't think a GM loses their job for moving down from 2 to 5 or something, getting extra picks and drafting Daniels instead of Maye at 2. Lamar and Mahomes were considered tier 2 guys or late 1st rounders. 

And this also assumes that Maye will prove he is a "franchise guy" immediately or in his rookie year which is highly unlikely (for any of these QBs tbh). 

I guess where we disagree is whether Maye or Williams are or will be considered "can't miss franchise guys"

Meh. A lot of the number of yards has to do with offensive system as well. Both were Air Raid offenses that pass an absolute ****load. Obviously that's not any indication that Penix isn't a really good prospect, any more than it meant Mahomes wasn't one. But I wouldn't put all that much stock in that stat.

1 hour ago, FlyBigBeard said:

I'm not sold on him at all. Definitely don't want to give up picks for him. He was 7-5 as a starter this year and could of easily been 5-7. All his wins were against non-ranked teams and all his losses were ranked teams. And not to mention Moss (his backup) comes in and plays the bowl game and beats a ranked team and looked phenomenal. 

This is not the best way to analyze CW13, and I've been a vocal doubter of him on this very board more than once.

I've watched most of his games this year and last, and he isn't on the hook for those losses.  In the middle part of this season he tried to play hero ball a lot and it hurt his team on more than one occasion, but those losses land squarely on the lap of the USC defense. The USC defense just could not get off the field and did not tackle well all year. You could safely bet the "over" on USC all year, so have a look at the box scores. The offense was really good and that is what you saw in the bowl game as well.  Had CW played in that bowl game he would have put up a similar stat line against an average Louisville defense.

None of this to say we should draft the kid.  I still think he is a diva, but there is no denying the talent and upside. The arm and athleticism are elite. He can create with his legs but is always looking to throw down the field. He certainly looks NFL ready right now, hell he looked NFL ready last year.

By the way he hasnt even declared yet, so this entire conversation could be a moot point and we could be arguing about Maye vs Penix vs Daniels if he decides to remain in school another year (he does have one more year of eligibility and could make more via NIL than the NFL rookie pay scale). 

That said, I would not be mad if he some how some way ended up in the B&G. With the right coaching staff and system in place, he could elevate this franchise for the next decade.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I have to think ATL did not give up a 2nd for Sweat because they were saving it for Fields.

They did not give up the second for Sweat because their offer was beaten by the Bears who had a very high 2nd at the time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

They did not give up the second for Sweat because their offer was beaten by the Bears who had a very high 2nd at the time

Yeah, I think they thought they had him by all accounts until the Bears came in and topped their offer. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

He was not taken 1st over all, or thought of as that either.  Just some good scouts doing their job and the hit gold.

So, it's disqualifying  for Williams even though it wasn't for Mahomes, because Williams is regarded more highly?

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I agree with the scenario you outlined. However, my point about "it better work" would be if we traded down to 5 to target Daniels but he goes at 4 overall and we miss out on him and end up settling at [insert Tier 2 prospect here].

On Penix, I think we just fundamentally disagree on the risk of his medicals