Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

If this team is at number 2, there is no reason to make any rash moves. 

Ideally the Cardinals are at number 4 also, and NE at 3. 

Why? Assume the Bears keep Fields, and they moved down to number 3 (trade with NE) with the thinking of drafting Harrison Jr, we could simply trade down with the Cardinals (pick 4 and 18) and the Cardinals (assuming they keep Kyler) would still be able to get Harrison. 

I don't believe that at number 2 we will need to pay a kings ransom for our QB. If 1 of the top QBs is clearly valued by the new regime vs the others, sure get him. But if they are even, just wait and see how it plays out 

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Even Mike McCarthy can figure out how to motivate his guys for this game?

Well, giving our supposed outstanding culture, Rivera should have no problem getting his guys fired up...

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Why? Assume the Bears keep Fields, and they moved down to number 3 (trade with NE) with the thinking of drafting Harrison Jr, we could simply trade down with the Cardinals (pick 4 and 18) and the Cardinals (assuming they keep Kyler) would still be able to get Harrison. 

I don't believe that at number 2 we will need to pay a kings ransom for our QB. If 1 of the top QBs is clearly valued by the new regime vs the others, sure get him. But if they are even, just wait and see how it plays out 

It could happen that way. Or, after we trade down to 4, Bears trade the 3rd pick to the Giants or some other team to take the QB we liked. Then we are stuck with no MHJ, and no QB.

I don’t think we can be cute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

There would be no reason to make any move at all.... hire a real GM... get the guy you want at #2

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Man, I spent some time this AM using Zach Wilson as an example. Going through the reviews, everyone hedges their bets on the Pros/Cons. This image was the clearest evaluation I could find, and it basically says he could be great or could suck. The mock drafts going back over years are a trip. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-drafts-2021-mel-kiper-daniel-jeremiah-todd-mcshay/1617ssdcd8ijx1n618dgx8ibgu

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/20/nfl-mock-draft-san-francisco-49ers-justin-fields-tackles

Makes me think about this draft. If Washington's new GM and coach love X QB and that player is there, take him. If they are that worried he'll be gone and they feel that is their guy. Try to make a move for him. If they can't get that guy, and they don't also love the next guy at that position. Do you still take him because they need a QB? That's a front-office philosophy question. If they LOVE Caleb Williams but not Drake Maye and Maye falls to them with Williams gone. Some teams will still take Maye because the value of that position. Others say "Yeah, this sucks. But then, who is the next guy we LOVE? Can you only get him at that slot you're in? Can you trade back and still get him? If not, do you take him higher than he's projected?

I imagine for a really good front office. That's a lot of fun and heartburn at the same time. The rush must be insane when they make that decision.

To tie a bow on this. Today, Jan 2, 2024. I personally don't LOVE any of the QBs projected at the top of the draft today. I get the insane things Caleb Williams did at USC and the throws he made. Then we read the "We're a Team Now" yells during their bowl game with the backup QB breaking school records in their bowl game. Is he a Diva? I don't know. While he is taller than Howell and not "short", he's like 6'1 vs. 6'4 with Drake Maye. Does that matter when more shorter QBs are succeeding? 

Ok, Drake Maye LOOKS like an NFL QB. Tall, Strong, etc. Did playing in a down-year ACC inflate his stats? I don't know. Josh Allen didn't come from the SEC and he looks pretty awesome at times. When you read the "cons" about him now, they say that he doesn't read defenses well, or like Sam, takes some bad sacks, or doesn't throw on the run well. 

Jaylen Daniels. Has the height. Will put on some weight probably. Folks say he does read the field well and gets rid of the ball faster. But might not have the strongest arm, and has been banged up a few times.

I could like any one of those guys while not loving any of them today. There you go, @Conn.  I might have been the 56th person to join ES all those years ago, but I can still contribute when I try. I was the person who posted Joe Gibbs was coming back before anyone else here after George Michael (RIP) Reported it. That will forever be my shining moment here. 

2024-01-02_08-37-31.jpg

Great post, awesome. I agree with you that when you have exciting but polarizing QB’s at the top of the draft, it becomes ALL about the FO’s conviction on those guys. I don’t think you can take a guy just to take a guy, you have to find something to love and build around if you’re going to make that pick. And I think ultimately they will. But as you saw with people’s two-faced prognosticating on past QB’s…it’s really hard to project talent at QB to the NFL.

We need a stud GM and smart coaching staff in the worst way. This is a monumentally important pick for our franchise. I personally hope they fall in love with one of these QB’s. It’s the easiest, truest path to success…if they get it right.

I think your short take on each of the top 3 is pretty fair btw. It’s scary and exciting to think of the floors and ceilings these guys have. 

18 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

This is the same thing that came up earlier and it's, to be charitable, silly. 

You don't fart around with a chance to get your franchise QB. Just take him and don't risk it for whatever minimal gain.

But let's play this hypothetical out. Current order and Williams, then Maye are the top 2 QBs on the board. Chicago doesn't want a QB, they want Harrison. They trade down to 3 so NE takes Williams. Then we trade with Arizona, who takes Harrison. What do you think Chicago does, with their target off the board? They auction off the Drake Maye pick to the highest bidder. And we're down to QB3. But we probably picked up a 2nd in the process, so yay, I guess. 

I don't know why people want to turn the second pick into the third best QB. 

And that's assuming Arizona doesn't go ahead and take Maye and then Chicago gets a blow away offer for Daniels, so now we get none of them. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, profusion said:

In the history of dumb takes, this would have to be up there.

There may be great reasons why Williams should be a Commander, but being a hometown hero is least among them.

Personally, if Maye is "perfect" for us and is there when we draft, I'd rather have him and all those draft picks we'd have to send to Chicago for the first pick.

PFF loves Caleb, he's their top player on their board.  They have Maye at #3.  Them saying Caleb or Maye would be perfect for them but the DC connection is gravy, I got no issue with. 

But I get your point, everything being equal I'd rather have Maye than Caleb if we have to give the moon for Caleb.  but if they love Caleb and don't have to give up a ton, then what the heck.  If they think Caleb is better and feel compelled to go get him aggressively, I'd be good with it

Edit:  I digested your point a bit more.  I gather you were saying that if the players are seen as equal don't trade up just for the DC connection.  I agree.  I don't think though PFF sees them as equal but you are right that they articulated it that way.

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 2.52.19 PM.png

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, that guy is a PFF guy. And he is clearly in on Penix.

PFF has a bunch of guys with different opinions.  On the PFF Big Board, Penix is right now at 30.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

We are barely ahead of NE in the strength of schedule tie breaker. Could easily go either way 

I believe the easiest scenario outside of a loss to the Cowboys and the Pats beating the Jets, is if both the Commanders and the Pats lose and if Saints beat Atlanta. I could be wrong, but that would give us the two seed. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Good to see ya shf. 🙂

Hey . .NO MORE SNYDER, finally!!! 👍😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I believe the easiest scenario outside of a loss to the Cowboys and the Pats beating the Jets, is if both the Commanders and the Pats lose and if Saints beat Atlanta. I could be wrong, but that would give us the two seed. 

We need one more game to go our way in the SOS race, if we are tied and get Saints>Atlanta. If we don’t gets the Saints W, we need three other games to go our way

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kyle Pitts, Drake London, Bijan Robinson.  All college studs.    All good players.  Yet their offense sucks because they don't have a QB.   it's not rocket science and its relevant IMO to some of the discussion on this thread.

They quietly have one of the best OLines in the league as well. 

QB is that important. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF loves Caleb, he's their top player on their board.  They have Maye at #3.  Them saying Caleb or Maye would be perfect for them but the DC connection is gravy, I got no issue with. 

But I get your point, everything being equal I'd rather have Maye than Caleb if we have to give the moon for Caleb.  but if they love Caleb and don't have to give up a ton, then what the heck.  If they think Caleb is better and feel compelled to go get him aggressively, I'd be good with it

Edit:  I digested your point a bit more.  I gather you were saying that if the players are seen as equal don't trade up just for the DC connection.  I agree.  I don't think though PFF sees them as equal but you are right that they articulated it that way.

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 2.52.19 PM.png

PFF has a bunch of guys with different opinions.  On the PFF Big Board, Penix is right now at 30.

Yeah, I'm agnostic on the top 3 QBs simply because I haven't seen any of them in action. I have watched a little of Nix and Penix, and I have concerns with both as "franchise" QBs. Nix looks more ready to start immediately, but I didn't see as many flashes of huge potential. Penix looks more like a project.

I just found the comment about Williams' DMV connection to be dumb. It's meaningless. He's going to want to go to a winning situation and/or a top 5 media market. The length of time it takes to visit his parents won't be a factor.

19 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

They quietly have one of the best OLines in the league as well. 

QB is that important. 

Yep Logan Paulsen gushes about the Atlanta O line every time we play them.  #5 ranked O line by PFF.   Atlanta in theory is a dream team for some of the theories I've read here.  They have the whole formula down.    And heck they've run this formula for a few years now let alone just one off season. 

Kyle Pitts arguably was the best player in that draft.  Some say the same for Bijan albiet he is a running back.  Drake was one of the top receivers.   High draft picks on the O line. 

You give a QB a generational TE, one of the best college receivers, the most hyped college RB since Barkey --- and also give them protection, then sit back and watch their success unfold.   😎

We just need to find our own Desmond Ridder and a veteran like Heinicke and surround them with protection and weapons and we will also find the promised land.  It's not so much about the QB but about finding the right pieces around them. 

And heck even if you believe that the QB is critical -- its no biggie because whenever you decide the time is right for the QB, they will appear.  With that logic, Atlanta should be SB bound soon. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

It would be fun to see this board if the team decided to trade back to say 5th or 6th grabbing a bunch of picks and like Penix. They'd own the draft with all the picks filing tons of holes with lots of day one and two day picks

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep Logan Paulsen gushes about the Atlanta O line every time we play them.  #5 ranked O line by PFF.   Atlanta in theory is a dream team for some of the theories I've read here.  They have the whole formula down.    And heck they've run this formula for a few years now let alone just one off season. 

Kyle Pitts arguably was the best player in that draft.  Some say the same for Bijan albiet he is a running back.  Drake was one of the top receivers.   High draft picks on the O line. 

You give a QB a generational TE, one of the best college receivers, the most hyped college RB since Barkey --- and also give them protection, then sit back and watch their success unfold.   😎

We just need to find our own Desmond Ridder and a veteran like Heinicke and surround them with protection and weapons and we will also find the promised land.  It's not so much about the QB but about finding the right pieces around them. 

And heck even if you believe that the QB is critical -- its no biggie because whenever you decide the time is right for the QB, they will appear.  With that logic, Atlanta should be SB bound soon. 

Atlanta is a perfect spot for a vet imo. That team is ready to win. Russ or Cousins would be a good fit there. 

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

It would be fun to see this board if the team decided to trade back to say 5th or 6th grabbing a bunch of picks and like Penix. They'd own the draft with all the picks filing tons of holes with lots of day one and two day picks

They can do whatever they like as far as I am concerned. 

But they are playing in a sandbox that i've never seen them in during my lifetime.  That is, picking super high (assuming we lose) in a ballyhooed draft for QBs.  You know last year when we discussed QBs in the draft thread the refrain was next year is better.  We've heard of Drake Maye and Caleb Williams being special for years.  And if we are picking top 2 where we can organically take one of those 2 QBs seems almost surreal. 

But if they aren't in love with either and want to trade down.  Cool.   But they better be proven right in that case.  If they skip over a QB who ends up a franchise QB and their choice isn't -- it might be the dumbest of all the bad moves that were made at QB over the last 30 years.   

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I'd prefer they draft one of the top 3 rated QBs, but building up the team around a guy like Penix is a defensible strategy, especially if the FO has concerns about all of them.

The key thing that needs to be there is a FO capable of intelligently evaluating and selecting a QB. If Josh can put together a good leadership team, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, profusion said:

building up the team around a guy like Penix is a defensible strategy

If we were picking like 8-12 sure. I am going to be disgusted if we end up with the second pick and pass on Caleb or Maye though. 

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

If that’s their guy and that’s what they want, fine. They better be right. 

Of course, if they think he’s worth #6…who’s to say someone else doesn’t think he’s worth #5? Or #4? For that reason it just won’t happen. They won’t risk not getting their guy, whoever it is they’ll just stand pat and take at #2 (hopefully that’s where we end up) or trade higher. 

• Like 1