Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm so much more excite for our two seconds, than our first. I love day two of the draft.

I think a wildcard is does a team trade up for Daniels?  I know mocks don't have him that high yet but I think ultimately they will.   I think that could be a trade up spot for that reason.

If we end up picking 4 its going to be torture for 3-4 months with this dancing around.

A. do we go Fashanu?

B.  Does Harrison fall to 4 because a QB rises to 3?

C.  If B happens do we trade down?

D.  Is Bowers too hard to pass up?  

so many moving parts.  The O line spot looks deep right thorugh those two early 2nd rounders we got.  On first watch I am higher on Fashanu than some here, to me his athleticism really pops.  And as you know, like you i am obsessed with TEs and Bowers is a stud.  Then you got Marvin Harrison Jr, who looks like a Hall of Fame caliver receiver in the pros if he lives up to his biilling. 

I think we pick 5 it could be interesting too.  But I think Harrison for sure is gone, it wouldn't have as many moving parts.  4 seems a sweet spot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

4 is good. We can get one of the top QBs, Harrison jr, Bowers, or our pick of OT. And if we only trade down 2-3 spots, can still get a really good OT.

Picking at #4 might be the hot spot for a team looking to trade up for a QB, like Vegas or New Orleans who currently sit at 11 and 12. The Rams are at 14 and who knows when they'll look to make the splash for a young QB? I also think Detroit may need to address QB this coming draft because Goff is holding that team back. Theyre gonna pick too late to move up to #4 or #5. Vegas is the team that will need to move up....although I'd think the Bears would be their target team at #2 or 3. 

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think a wildcard is does a team trade up for Daniels?  I know mocks don't have him that high yet but I think ultimately they will.   I think that could be a trade up spot for that reason.

If we end up picking 4 its going to be torture for 3-4 months with this dancing around.

A. do we go Fashanu?

B.  Does Harrison fall to 4 because a QB rises to 3?

C.  If B happens do we trade down?

D.  Is Bowers too hard to pass up?  

so many moving parts.  The O line spot looks deep right thorugh those two early 2nd rounders we got.  On first watch I am higher on Fashanu than some here, to me his athleticism really pops.  And as you know, like you i am obsessed with TEs and Bowers is a stud.  Then you got Marvin Harrison Jr, who looks like a Hall of Fame caliver receiver in the pros if he lives up to his biilling. 

I think we pick 5 it could be interesting too.  But I think Harrison for sure is gone, it wouldn't have as many moving parts.  4 seems a sweet spot.

I'm definitely thinking Daniels is getting to the top 5, 3 QBs, Harrison, Alt.

I don't want to drop back to the Vikings level, unless it's a huge ransom, but if the Raiders or Bucs want to come up ahead of the QB needy Giants and we still get a shot at Bowers and add another day 2 pick? I'm down. 

If we're trading back into the 20's (ATL, Vikes, Hawks) I want a 1rst next year and a day two pick this year, along with their first which is rich.

I'd love Bowers and there are OL all over this draft.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Tankathon has us currently grabbing:

Alt (5) OT

Umanmeilan Edge (36)

Trotter ILB (38)

Powers-Johnson IOL (69) nice! 

Raheim Saunders RB (100) 

I'd be meh at 36 and 100. Alt over Bowers is a push. Powers is a top grab for me and I really like Trotter. Not sure he makes it to 38 beng the top graded ILB, but I like Stutsman better anyway

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm so much more excite for our two seconds, than our first. I love day two of the draft.

I want the first to be an impact player on the OL.  Don’t over think it, just do it.  

If you can get a stud LT, at absolute worst you have stud rookie LT, Cosmi at RG who is at least an OC replacement level and at times very good, and could flip Leno to RT in a pinch.  

Im assuming Wylie and Lucas are gone.  

You can probably work with that as the core of you have to.  Still need upgrades at LG and C, but you can see what Stromboli has, draft a guard in the middle rounds, etc.  

• Like 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I want the first to be an impact player on the OL.  Don’t over think it, just do it.  

If you can get a stud LT, at absolute worst you have stud rookie LT, Cosmi at RG who is at least an OC replacement level and at times very good, and could flip Leno to RT in a pinch.  

Im assuming Wylie and Lucas are gone.  

You can probably work with that as the core of you have to.  Still need upgrades at LG and C, but you can see what Stromboli has, draft a guard in the middle rounds, etc.  

There aren't any 100% studs at LT, but there is at WR and TE. This draft is absolutely loaded with OTs.

Drafting need based is about to get GM RonMart fired. It's not over thinking it, it's not thinking at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I don't think they'll land #4, but that would be amazing. Harrison, Fashanu, or Maye would possibly fall in their laps. Of course there will be guys shooting up and down the board by late April so really knows? But it is a great asset to have a pick this high (and subsequent high picks in following rounds), ample cap space, etc. for the new front office to work with.

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Trade back half a dozen place for an extra second rounder, we’ll then have 3 picks in the top 10 or so slots of the second rounds. That’s the scenario I’m preferring at the minute. 

Would probably also get an extra 4th in that trade.

You don't trade out of the top 10. 

Want to trade from pick 4-5 to 8-9? That might get you a future 1st in the deal, and if so maybe. Maybe that's worth it. 

I feel like every time this happens I am arguing for keeping the pick and picking the elite tools.

1) Most wanted to trade down a few picks rather than pick Trent who was a consensus reach and seen as a RT or G at the next level.

2) Traded down for Kerrigan rather than pick Watt

3) Olave vs Dotson (yes, they would have had to pick Howell earlier)

As high as you can get and then don't screw up. You need stars. Get your consensus All-Pro player. 

The senior bowl 1v1s and combine are important filters for me. You watch the cut-ups, and then see the metrics, and go back to the video. 

Identifying the top 2 QBs in each class is incredibly important, but then it should be pretty easy to see who the top 3 players are on each side of the ball. That's the beauty of the top 10. You really shouldn't mess it up because the laymen wouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Trade back half a dozen place for an extra second rounder, we’ll then have 3 picks in the top 10 or so slots of the second rounds. That’s the scenario I’m preferring at the minute. 

Would probably also get an extra 4th in that trade.

I want another first rounder in 25.

• Like 3

I hope we don't take an off ball backer in round 2. The expectation would be that they end up starting right away and the majority of rookie off ball linebackers end up sucking in year 1. I'd rather have Jamin and a good veteran FA man the position and take a couple guys in Day 3 to groom as depth and to potentially take over a starting job in 2025 is Jamin doesn't come back

• Thumb up 1

Interestingly, I’ve found that I have the same preferred strategy for dealing with ILB, G and DE.  Sign a high end one and then draft one (between the late 1st-4th).  Might be ideal if the drafted guard is instead a C/G prospect so we have competition/insurance for Stromberg. 

Might seem like overkill, especially with other needs, but…

1. You shore up the middle of the D and O

2. Insurance for Cosmi and Davis possibly hitting FA next year (that’s more of a byproduct than the goal/focus though).

3. Add much needed players at DE

Of course, that still leaves OT and TE as big needs (though we at least have our 1st round pick and a couple of mid round picks), and to a lesser extent (IMO) receiver, corner, Rb and safety to address.

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There aren't any 100% studs at LT, but there is at WR and TE. This draft is absolutely loaded with OTs.

Drafting need based is about to get GM RonMart fired. It's not over thinking it, it's not thinking at all.

I think my opinion is clouded because I don't trust any of the evaluations, because the bust rate at every pick is so high. When you say "best player available" it's based on somebody's evaluation.  That somebody, even the best somebodies, are wrong more than they are right.  

So, yeah, you don't want to draft for need.  But you also have needs.  What you need to be able to do is fill the needs in some way, or they will persist, and you will also get fired.

I have complete and total hatred of all of the talking head draftnik morons who want to tell me player A should be picked at spot 8, but picking him at spot 6 is a reach, and picking him at spot 13 would be amazing value.  That is complete and total stupid on steroids. There is absolutely no way to know that.  It's a world invented by Mel Kiper, who should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame because he almost single handedly made the draft what it is and created an industry of draft predicting and big boards, but is all for a TV show. I love Mel.  And his hairdo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The theory is the higher the pick the higher the chance at getting an elite player.  Some of these guys are supposed to be no-brainers, but if it was that simple we wouldn't be having this conversation.

On the one hand we do need elite players, but we need more good players as well.  Theres no rule that says only way we can get an elite player is to draft one, but filling out our roster with quality free agents is designed to be impossible in the free agent era.

To really rise the talent level of this team we have to draft well with multiple different picks.  If we know what we doing we will get the elite players where we need them.  But the constant rotation of choosing who to pay what they are worth and knowing we have someone on a cheaper contract that can head off a serious drop off is far more complicated.

I'd gladly pay an elite player their worth in free agency if we need them at that position. Drafting them merely puts that off until we have to pay them or someone else will.

I don't disagree w/any of this, which is why I imagine trading down might be the best idea. We'll see, it depends upon how we handle the Rams/Jets/Cowboys finale games and the chance of a weird result when we host the Miami game (they tend to have weird downside performances from time to time). 

While I love the idea of us picking 4th-5th, I think its more likely we're stuck in the 6-12 zone. We'll see, the best prospects there sound like they'll be QB's, RT's, CB's, Edge's and WR's. Time will tell. That Cowboy game being last, again, was and is a real killer because for now anyway, the game appears to have no value for them. The Eagles winning yesterday really, really hurt, twin losses to Buffalo and SF would've put that division crown into a likely "final game" scenario. Now that may be out. Bummer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Then trade down and get more then one OT if it's that deep.

RonMart is getting fired at minimum because he completely neglected the oline, not because he drafted for need for that position group.

These talking points for BPA vs Need do not change how big a need overhauling the oline is.  That includes starters and depth for the injuries we seem to incur every year. 

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Tankathon has us currently grabbing:

Alt (5) OT

Umanmeilan Edge (36)

Trotter ILB (38)

Powers-Johnson IOL (69) nice! 

Raheim Saunders RB (100) 

I am  used to using the PFF mock draft simulator.   They have Umanmeilan as the #53 prospect so I usually pass on him in 2nd and Trotter is 76 (they have his teammate Barrett Carter) so I sometimes grab one of them in the 3rd round.  I have no idea which rankings system is better but I am so used the PFF one that I did a double take with some of those picks.

We shout trade down but there has to be someone willing to move up, and if there is someone that good then the new regime might want them. We are in dire need of blue chip talent at any position, but my goal would be to land two quality OL prospects with our first three picks. I'd love to go LT in the 1st(don't have too much of a preference, but Fuaga might be a little older than the other two which turns me off some but I love that he's Samoan those guys always ball out)then go RT in the 2nd. My preference would be to address LG in FA(there are some good ones I believe)and give Stromberg a shot at C in 2024.

Imagine an OL of

LT: 2024 1st rounder

LG: Jonah Jackson(FA from Detroit, good target if we hire say Ben Johnson)

C : Stromberg

RG: Cosmi

RT: 2024 2nd rounder

Quality starting OL that'd be young too(Jackson would be the oldest and he's not even 27 yet).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We've drafted busts high as well, that's the true problem even when we get top 10 or top 5 picks. 

An improved scouting department will help increase odds of getting elite players outside the first and in the first round where we supposed to be getting them.

I may just be broken on these can't miss players, in the context we can only have so many elite players any way, and we need not only good players but depth as well.

Fixing the overall roster is a lot harder and bigger project then getting elite players.  Word on street is folks are taking us seriously again as a place to setup shop, so again the idea of just signing or trading for elite players shouldn't be out the question.  Drafting isn't only way to get them, and trading down gives us more ammo for trades.

To me it depends entirely on what the tier of talent looks like. If we are outside the mega blue chip zone, we probably can move down, and justifiably, but if we are in that zone with the QB's, Harrison Jr, and Fashanu, i don't think you can. It depends, and admittedly there will be a couple of other guys, right now there's an edge and a TE seen as in that tier too, I'm skeptical of the tier but not so much of the TE. 

Anyway, because we are likely to have 3 top 45 picks anyway, possibly top 40, and 5 top 100 picks, trading down can happen justfiably anywhere, not just inside the top 12ish. Word of warning on the Bears pick, literally every game remaining for them could be a win, tonights is probably the biggest stretch along with them hosting the Lions, but the Lions just went Lion so who knows? They wrap up the season with home games against the Lions, Cardinals and Falcons, and roadies sprinkled in against the Falcons and Packers and tonights Vikes game. It's totally conceivable that they got 3-3 or 2-4 in those games, maybe even 4-2. So while I do think the Bears pick is high, the current joy at it being potentially 36th or whatever is probably gonna be short lived. They will win a few of these games, probably 2-3 and finish with 5-6 on the season and a pick more likely between 38-42 than 36. 

Regardless though, we need blue chips and #'s and a competent FO this offseason. Part of the attraction to taking over the team will be this pick hopefully being in that 4th-8th zone, rather than 10th-12th. Trading down probably won't be justifiable unless we're outside the LT's, and QB's. Worth noting 2-3 other QB's, maybe 4 are gonna have 1st round grades, or at least it sounds like that. 

I suspect our pick ends up being around 6th-8th

the Bears pick ends up being 6-10th

so our 2nds are probably going to be around 38th-42nd for both.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Ts are good but I don't think any of them are slam dunk studs in that Ogden/Pace category. Alt projects to be more of a RT which I don't mind(could be our Lane Johnson)but the value isn't as high then.

Chase Young was a supposed slam dunk. Evaluate the players and make your a decision best for your team. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Chase Young was a supposed slam dunk. Evaluate the players and make your a decision best for your team. 

Sure at the end of the day there are no guarantees, but you take the guy with the most talent and if someone is a true blue chipper and he pans out you can be set for a really long time.

Reaching for needs gets you less talented players and in the long run doesn't get you that much closer to a championship.

12 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Sewell and Amon-Ra. 

This team desperately needs a LT. Plus Sewell is Samoan. Them Polynesian Island guys are generally tough as all hell. Like the Wild Samoans or King Haku. 💪😆

To get boring and technical. Amon-Ra was an outlier selection. He was a mid 4th rounder, the hit rate on mid 4th round WR's is exceptionally low (and far worse 5th-7th rounds). To bet on being able to land a top 5-10 WR with pick 112 is a fools errand, hell we couldn't do it with a top 20 pick a gazillion times the past thirty years (Desmond Howard in '92, Michael Westbunk in '95, Rod Gardner in '01, Josh Doctson in '16, and Jahan Dotson in '22). 

I can see plenty of reason to go WR, DB, OT, QB, or TE with the pick, it's gonna depend upon where we're slotted, how many of these last games we pick up in the win column more than anything. If we are top 4, it's got to be a QB, OT or Harrison, if we end up outside the top 4-5, we probably are open to the TE Bowers, and to DB's and a trade down as well. With 3 top 45 picks, and loads of cap space, we have a lot of ways to address OL. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1