Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

Just now, CobraCommander said:

Usually our defense was ok and we controlled TOP with a run game. He don’t do either of those now.

Very true but we have competed valiantly with some of the best teams already (Philly and Seattle). I'm hoping the defense can somehow make a miraculous turnaround.

9 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If we had the same D as last year. I could see it. But I do love the optimism. :) 

I like that we have a BYE before that last 4 game stretch. We will definitely not beat the Cowboys on Thanksgiving but we will beat the Giants for sure. If we could somehow beat Miami before the BYE (a huge IF), I think that would be a huge momentum swing for us to make the playoffs. 

I think we smoke the Rams and win a tough one against Jets after the bye.

San Fran will be a chore but they can be beat and I think we split with Cowboys.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

We could beat the Cowboys if we play them like we played Philly

After their annual Thanksgiving gimme, the Cowboys schedule is brutal. 

Seattle. Philly. @Buffalo. @Miami. Detroit. @Washington.

Would love to get a reeling Cowboys team for the last game of the season.

My dream is that we turn their dream into a nightmare.

We're a bad team and lack a lot of talent, but we're a fanbase who finds hope in anything and I love that about us. The wheels are off and gone. We have our QB. Bad owner, over valued average players, all going away. Great time to be a fan.

4 hours ago, Tyler Spiers said:

After their annual Thanksgiving gimme, the Cowboys schedule is brutal. 

Seattle. Philly. @Buffalo. @Miami. Detroit. @Washington.

Would love to get a reeling Cowboys team for the last game of the season.

My dream is that we turn their dream into a nightmare.

Seattle, Buffalo and Washington are not great and Miami hasn't beat a winner. Hardest team is the Eagles who've beatthem.

• zCommander changed the title to 2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Current Pick #10
  • zCommander changed the title to 2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Current Pick #8
On 11/14/2023 at 5:02 PM, kingdaddy said:

We are getting little to nothing out of this years draft class....our management may not survive this kind of poor production. 7 picks and none have made an impact even a little bit. 

Yep and when they called Forbes name over Gonzales it took the cake. This management can't get out of their own way.  Idiots.

"With the 4th overall pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the Washington Commanders select...."

This team needs to take the best LOT available and then spend the next 4 picks on the line.  We should be able to find day 1 starters at every position on that line.  That's huge.  Also, while it needs good pass blockers, if you're going to be 85/15 pass/run, you need a line that excels at run blocking to maximize the few runs you run.  That's why you spend all that draft capital - because excellent run blockers with a high minimum capability at pass blocking ("great run blocker/good pass blocker") aren't all over the draft.  Pass protection encompasses individual blocks, the line, the play, the receiving corps, QB smarts, etc.  Run blocking is like Russ Grimm said, you move another guy from A to B against his will.  You want a line that can give Howell enough time (whatever that means) but which can open holes on the ground at will.  This was essentially the hogs.  The first iteration of the Hogs (while Riggins was here) were good pass blockers, but they defined the standard for run blocking.  1991 came later.

47 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I think everyone has concluded that the FO and coaching staff will be cleared out. 

Just my feeling that Magic is going to want an improved O; and they hired that analytics guy who said TE may be the most undervalued position...

He’s going to be very visible so I’ll be saying this a lot over the years I guess, but what Magic wants doesn’t matter and never will. He’s a celeb so he’ll be everywhere but he doesn’t even own 5% of this team lol. He has no decision-making power and Harris owns multiple professional sports franchises—he is not gonna be the sort of controlling owner to care what the other rich guys in his ownership group think. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

He’s going to be very visible so I’ll be saying this a lot over the years I guess, but what Magic wants doesn’t matter and never will. He’s a celeb so he’ll be everywhere but he doesn’t even own 5% of this team lol. He has no decision-making power and Harris owns multiple professional sports franchises—he is not gonna be the sort of controlling owner to care what the other rich guys in his ownership group think. 

I hear what you're saying but Magic is number 3 when it comes to ownership percentage.

Not chump change.

Clearly Harris is the lead guy but I'd be shocked if Magic doesn't have a significant say going forward.

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I hear what you're saying but Magic is number 3 when it comes to ownership percentage.

Not chump change.

Clearly Harris is the lead guy but I'd be shocked if Magic doesn't have a significant say going forward.

Minority share owners almost never have a say in anything. Snyder had partners with larger stakes than either Rales or Magic and he didn’t even attend meetings with them the last 8 years or so. Now Harris isn’t an asshole like that, I’m sure they will collaborate. But they have no say, no vote. The controlling owners does everything—I’m sure Harris was smart enough to partner with people who he would like advice and help from, though. Especially Rales and especially on non football matters. Just saying that functionally, Harris does the hiring and deciding and talks directly to his GM, etc. Someone like Magic isn’t going to even be in contact with whoever is running the football side, likely. He’s a media-facing guy. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

Minority share owners almost never have a say in anything. Snyder had partners with larger stakes than either Rales or Magic and he didn’t even attend meetings with them the last 8 years or so. Now Harris isn’t an asshole like that, I’m sure they will collaborate. But they have no say, no vote. The controlling owners does everything—I’m sure Harris was smart enough to partner with people who he would like advice and help from, though. Especially Rales and especially on non football matters. Just saying that functionally, Harris does the hiring and deciding and talks directly to his GM, etc. Someone like Magic isn’t going to even be in contact with whoever is running the football side, likely. He’s a media-facing guy. 

Doesn't Harris own like 30% of the team? His partners have given him managing control, but he certainly has to have a different style of ownership vis a vis his partners than someone who own a majority stake outright. 

• Like 1

Because I believe we have a QB, I hope we trade down and start building draft capital so we can ensure ourselves of more picks then default instead of less like we almost always did before Brice Allen.

Even with vastly better scouting and player development, I don't want to waste our resources on some top 10 pick for LT and it potentially be a bust and case can be made we need a whole new oline.

This could allow for more aggressive free agency because of not having to sign so many contracts for depth because of poor drafting.