Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Offensive Line Thread

El Mexican

There will be tough decisions on Wylie and Gates. Does the new offense coaching think they can use one or both of them.

I have a hard time with Gates period, he sucked. 

Wylie at RT was the weakest position on our roster IMO. Do they feel he can play LG decently and be a backup swing T?

The best thing might be to just cut these guys but that may be difficult but I bet at least one isn't here next year.

I didn't think Charles or Paul did enough do deserve being back either.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't impressed by either Paul or Charles (BTW, who's a FA in 2024, with his history of inability to stay healthy, and unimpressive performance, may not be re-signed at all). 

So LG seems like an issue. Maybe Gates could fill in better at LG than he did at C?  And who knows how well Stromberg might be able to step in for O-line starting duty, much less where he'd be on that O-line.  (Would it be at LG ?  ...at C?)

If the plan is to rebuild the O-line, I think Washington may need to consider bringing in a veteran FA center to help guide/coordinate the rookies on the O-line as they develop to the level of the NFL.  Depending on the offensive  scheme the new coach brings in, maybe someone like Lloyd Cushenberry III. (26 years old) might be a good fit, or someone like that.  (He'd probably cheaper than Miami's Connor Williams). I bring this up because Gates didn't seem like good of a center to me, and Stromberg would still be learning the position in 2024, along with the other rookies. (Stromberg didn't even win the center role coming out of training camp.). As for Washington's other backup Center, Tyler Larsen, he's basically a short-term fill-in, and not very durable. 

Otherwise Washington has to hope Gates can play better under 2024 management, or that Stromberg is ready to step in to a fulltime starting role at center.

Edited by Wyvern

It would be a huge help, (and hopefully not too unrealistic) if Ricky Stromberg could step in and be an above average Center or Guard next season. That would create a potentially above average group of:

LT: 2nd Round Draft pick

LG: Top FA Guard

Center: Stromberg

RG: Cosmi

RT: Leno/Wylie/Lucas

Edited by the burgundy and gold

4 hours ago, JCB said:

Is this thought to be a particularly deep draft at OL? Because if we could land a quality starter in Round 2 that'd be amazing.

Yes very deep at OT at least. Potentially seven could go in round 1. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Spitballing an idea: what about trying Cosmi back out at right tackle? Hear me out.

He wasn't terrific there his first two years, and also got hurt, but I'm wondering if he was simply poorly coached in his first two years. It's a tough league on rookies, and when you're poorly coached, get hurt and then lose your confidence, things can go downhill in a hurry.

Cosmi did play well at RG this year, but that is probably the easiest position to fill on any line - the other four positions are more difficult. Cosmi had a good scouting report coming out of Texas....maybe he can be the solution at RT with good coaching?

Anyone who knows line play chime in?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stoox said:

Spitballing an idea: what about trying Cosmi back out at right tackle? Hear me out.

He wasn't terrific there his first two years, and also got hurt, but I'm wondering if he was simply poorly coached in his first two years. It's a tough league on rookies, and when you're poorly coached, get hurt and then lose your confidence, things can go downhill in a hurry.

Cosmi did play well at RG this year, but that is probably the easiest position to fill on any line - the other four positions are more difficult. Cosmi had a good scouting report coming out of Texas....maybe he can be the solution at RT with good coaching?

Anyone who knows line play chime in?

I see where you are coming from, but I think the ideal route is keeping cosmi at RG and drafting a solid RT with one of the second rounders.  I like what I've read about Patrick Paul. The fact that Cosmi is set to hit FA soon, and Ts command more than Gs, I'd rather keep him at the position where he proved himself ( and a more affordable re-sign) and get a RT in the draft that will have a lower price tag and higher ceiling for the position.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

I see where you are coming from, but I think the ideal route is keeping cosmi at RG and drafting a solid RT with one of the second rounders.  I like what I've read about Patrick Paul. The fact that Cosmi is set to hit FA soon, and Ts command more than Gs, I'd rather keep him at the position where he proved himself ( and a more affordable re-sign) and get a RT in the draft that will have a lower price tag and higher ceiling for the position.

Roger that.

11 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Paul is my sleeper pick for the second round. Not sure if he's a day one starter though.

Be really cool to have brothers at LT and LG.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Paul is my sleeper pick for the second round. Not sure if he's a day one starter though.

Be even cooler to have good players at LT and LG 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Be even cooler to have good players at LT and LG 😁

Paul is a physical beast. Possibly the best in the draft as just looking at that, but he's raw.

Paul was poorly coached this year, so it's hard to tell how he'll do.

:D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Paul is a physical beast. Possibly the best in the draft as just looking at that, but he's raw.

Given who we brought in to be our new OL coach, I'm not optimistic Paul will do any better next year either, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Given who we brought in to be our new OL coach, I'm not optimistic Paul will do any better next year either, unfortunately.

I think he's getting a bad reputation, based solely on the debacle in NY. His OL in Buffalo was very good. His NYG OL was great run blocking.

They also drafted an OT that looks like a bust. Their new rookie center got hurt. They had a lot go wrong.

He wasn't my first choice, but with the coaches we've brought in, I'd be shocked if Johnson wasn't good.

We also went without an OL coach for most of the off-season and Wharton does suck?

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Keep Cosmi at RG and find a solid RT at #36. One of the many that have a 1st round grade will drop. Just hope that one that fits our system is available for us.

I think FA is going to be the ticket at OT and day 3 the spot for OT

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Keep Cosmi at RG and find a solid RT at #36. One of the many that have a 1st round grade will drop. Just hope that one that fits our system is available for us.

Wouldn't we prioritize a LT with that pick? They tend to go higher than RT and perhaps we can find a gem in the mid rounds.

10 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Wouldn't we prioritize a LT with that pick? They tend to go higher than RT and perhaps we can find a gem in the mid rounds.

The good LTs will be scooped up quick. Any LT left will be a project, but you can find rookie RT starters im round 2.

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That would be pretty cool.  I do wonder how CP will fit in this new scheme.  He seems like a guy who will be on the roster bubble at best.

I hope they aren't in a rush to cut Leno, and see how the LT market unfolds during FA before making a move.   It might make sense to hang onto him for one more year and address other needs this offseason.  I'd prioritize the upgrade at LG well before upgrading Leno.  PP could be a day 1 starter at RT, maybe sliding to LT in the future.  I'm with you on the Patrick Paul bandwagon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 10:02 AM, Koolblue13 said:

It's fishy to me that both "Paul" brothers are raw because they were poorly coached. I'm guessing it is more likely that Patrick doesn't love football. These are two brothers who are highly intelligent and have the athleticism

On 2/17/2024 at 11:11 AM, bird_1972 said:

Ugh ... so what should our plan be at LT? 

Honestly I don’t see how this team plans n finding 3-4 new OLine starters. People are wildly under estimating the mess Ron left with this unit. Starting left tackle is almost certainly going to have to be a free agent with no guarantees a good one is available. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:11 AM, bird_1972 said:

Ugh ... so what should our plan be at LT? 

Pray?

You know you're in Redskins land when the draft conversation has been monopolized by QB talk.

By now everyone knows we'll land a shinny QB with our 1st pick.

I understand the urgency to catch an immediate starter with the draft pick. The FO has no choice, given the pressure from the fans.

But that's not necessarily the right thing to do. There are TWO guys that are generational talents (Alt and Fashanu) that would be plug-and-play for us.

We sorely need at least one of them.

We should take one of them and start from there. Drafting an elite QB has become a game of roulette.

20 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Pray?

You know you're in Redskins land when the draft conversation has been monopolized by QB talk.

By now everyone knows we'll land a shinny QB with our 1st pick.

I understand the urgency to catch an immediate starter with the draft pick. The FO has no choice, given the pressure from the fans.

But that's not necessarily the right thing to do. There are TWO guys that are generational talents (Alt and Fashanu) that would be plug-and-play for us.

We sorely need at least one of them.

We should take one of them and start from there. Drafting an elite QB has become a game of roulette.

Neither of those OT prospects are generational. It’s an extremely deep OL class, we’ll get a good one in the 2nd round. We had arguably two HOF caliber LT’s back to back during our long QB drought and never accomplished a thing. 

We have a lot of resources to improve the OL. It won’t all happen in one year, but it also doesn’t require the #2 overall pick to fix. We have a ton of cap space and draft picks over the next couple years to work on the OL. We only have one single resource that can semi-reliably gift you a franchise QB. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3