Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

11 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

That's a huge surprise.  I'm also shocked NE couldn't get a trade for him.

I'm sure they want to bring him back after they make a couple other moves in the coming days.  For anyone thinking we took a risk by cutting fromm, look at the pats who cut a better player in zappe and only have one QB on their active roster as of now. Again that will change but what a punch to the gut it would be if somebody swooped in and claimed. Zappe which I'm sure someone will.

I live in New England. I can only imagine sports talk radio right now lol. These fans are not going to like that, especially the Mac haters.

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm sure they want to bring him back after they make a couple other moves in the coming days.  For anyone thinking we took a risk by cutting fromm, look at the pats who cut a better player in zappe and only have one QB on their active roster as of now. Again that will change but what a punch to the gut it would be if somebody swooped in and claimed. Zappe which I'm sure someone will.

I live in New England. I can only imagine sports talk radio right now lol. These fans are not going to like that, especially the Mac haters.

If Zappe gets picked up by someone, maybe the Patriots will pick up Fromm. 😁

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C'mon, don't they know that is David Mayo's role? Stop stealing his thunder. The one thing he does is provides a temporary roster spot on cut down day. That's pretty much all he is good for. I wonder who they expect to IR? Hodges? Hopefully not McLaurin. Maybe another OL?

Edited by Jericho

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Not saying hes a lock for the hall of fame but I would like to know who people plan on replacing him with.

Yeah.  He's not explosive, but he's a lightyears a better WR than Kaz Allen is.  He makes good decisions on when to fair catch and when not to, and can play all the WR positions.  I figure Tinsley is the developmental WR while Milne is the reliable backup that is replaceable next year. 

• Like 4

Just now, Jericho said:

C'mon, don't they know that is David Mayo's role? Stop stealing his thunder. The one thing he does is provides a temporary roster spot on cut down day. That's pretty much all he is good for. I wonder who they expect to IR? Hodges? Hopefully not McLain. Maybe another OL?

Logan Thomas for one

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't understand the hate for Milne. Dudes solid 

I think I get it.  Imagine every player in the NFL were ranked on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being an all time great, 1 being a bum who has no business in the NFL and 5 being average.  Milne is a 5 average, and these folks are always looking to upgrade average

15 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

If Zappe gets picked up by someone, maybe the Patriots will pick up Fromm. 😁

I didn't view fromm as someone we should carry on the 53 to protect from other teams poaching him. I like that they gave the spot to someone else.  However, Zappe may be worth adding to our 53 if we can.  Especially as a trade off for a guy like Pringle who is one of 7 WRs and likely won't be here long term.  Something to seriously consider at least.

Edited by KillBill26

4 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Logan Thomas for one

I think I get it.  Imagine every player in the NFL were ranked on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being an all time great, 1 being a bum who has no business in the NFL and 5 being average.  Milne is a 5 average, and these folks are always looking to upgrade average

Yeah, people get annoyed when the entire 53 isn't all pro. It's annoying.

Crowder gets cut from the Jets, who by all accounts should have one hell of an offense this year and people think he's an upgrade.

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Would much rather have Grant , MLine is not in his league as far as WR goes. But he is the best returner we have. We have a glut at WR3 but no returners? 

Milne is not in Grants league?  :ols:  

• Thumb up 1

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Would much rather have Grant , MLine is not in his league as far as WR goes. But he is the best returner we have. We have a glut at WR3 but no returners? 

Sounds like they gave a few guys a chance during training camp to take the position. Kaz Allen looked to be a good returner but apparently having the ability to first catch a football is a pre requisite.  Maybe Allen could be the future there, perhaps he lands on the PS and pulls a Brian Mitchell and develops the chops for it. But right now Milne is the safe bet at a position where you need to be able to trust whoever is back there.

Dax had like 6 Recs last year. He does not contribute to the passing game in a meaningful way.

If I have a player who can contribute better returns at PR, I would not really care if he does not have the WR chops of someone who does not contribute at WR.

If Kaz had shown himself to be a better PR, it would not have mattered very much if he was not the WR Dax is. Your not losing any production by walking away from him. Unfortunately Kaz died on the field and blew his oppo.

So the point for me is, if I can have a guy who is a better PR, I don't care if he even lacks opposable thumbs and thus can not play WR.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dax had like 6 Recs last year. He does not contribute to the passing game in a meaningful way.

If I have a player who can contribute better returns at PR, I would not really care if he does not have the WR chops of someone who does not contribute at WR.

If Kaz had shown himself to be a better PR, it would not have mattered very much if he was not the WR Dax is. Your not losing any production by walking away from him. Unfortunately Kaz died on the field and blew his oppo.

So the point for me is, if I can have a guy who is a better PR, I don't care if he even lacks opposable thumbs and thus can not play WR.

Our top 4 WRs are fantastic. I really don't care if the back of that line up is a great WR or not, as long as they're sure handed on teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah.  He's not explosive, but he's a lightyears a better WR than Kaz Allen is.  He makes good decisions on when to fair catch and when not to, and can play all the WR positions.  I figure Tinsley is the developmental WR while Milne is the reliable backup that is replaceable next year. 

I think Tinsley will play this year. IMO Milne is here because of his versatility. But Tinsley is a bigger threat. 

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't care if the back of that line up is a great WR or not, as long as they're sure handed on teams.

Call me old fashioned but I like to see my Punt Returner to catch the ball and have some ability to return. Not either or.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Call me old fashioned but I like to see my Punt Returner to catch the ball and have some ability to return. Not either or.

He led the league in punt returns and was #11 in average for the guys with 25+ returns. 

Call me old fashioned, but I'm pretty happy with that for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He led the league in punt returns and was #11 in average for the guys with 25+ returns. 

Looking over the stats there were like 14 players who qualify for that metric. Dax is better than 3.

If you don't use some arbitrary cut off point there were like 35 guys with a better avg

If you wanna make numbies lie for you you can make anybody look decent.

On a Sunday afternoon at 2:15 PM at 76 degrees with a 2 MPH western wind at a Commanders game while wearing burgundy nobody had a better return avg while being named Dax Milne than Dax Milne.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2