Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Remember...?

skinsmarydu

Just anything.  Go for it. 

I can start with...

Remember colored TP that matched the decor of your bathroom? 

We used to get milk delivered...Charles Chips too. 

Stupid Dr. Scholl's wicked wooden sandals. 

Earth Shoes. 

Leisure suits *my dad had 'em in every color*

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Time to show my age:

I had these (Toughskins) when I was a kid, in all the hideous colors.  My mother loved them because they had reinforced knees and if you wore a hole in them they'd replace them for free.  Got a few free replacments:

sears-toughskins.jpg?v=523df724471d66f84

Rotary phone with the 337 prefix 33 coding for the alphabet letters FE as in Federal7-5555 (yes, I grew up in DC):

YA9S1iZOH0h2XIWGtooy_1589414450215.jpg

These things were heavy as hell and if there was an intruder, you could brain them with the phone.

img_1970272602_1423666904.png

This was great to start your kids off right in learning how to huff.

Edited by China
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, China said:

Well back then it was all Ma Bell, before the breakup into AT&T and the baby Bells, so they had a monopoly.

And you were not allowed to buy a phone. You could only rent one. And only from the phone company. 

• Like 2

Socks with colored stripes... I can see how this is short sighted and would be annoying. 

Meeting people when they came off the jetway of airplanes.

Casual jokes, punchlinee and innuendo in movies and TVs that would get people cancelled.  Three's Company...  

• Like 1

Some DC area events:

My senior year in highschool we had a huge snowstorm.  This was the scene in Georgetown, walking distance from my house:

P1270347b.jpg

When there were real protests in DC (Tractorcade- 1978-1979):  

56540v.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

And the Rocky Horror Picture show played in Georgetown for years at midnight with people dressing up :

The "Rocky Horror Picture Show," a 1974 film that has become a cult mainstay for local midnight movie fans, was sent to the grave Saturday night with its final showing at Georgetown's Key Theater after a continuous nine-year run.

large.jpg?1337110047

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

My parents had a Magnavox TV that had a remote control. 

The remote was mechanical.  As you pushed the button, (which had a travel of almost an inch), it would compress a bellows. And at the bottom of the stroke, it would release the compressed air into an ultrasonic whistle. 

And when the TV heard the whistle, a motor in the TV would turn the mechanical channel selector knob. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Would try to see if we could catch them.  The banning of lawn darts was the start of the pussification of America.  Long live catching a Jart to the dome. 

2E310323-936E-4233-A927-2F3ECAF4A810.webp

Bluefish all over the Bay and rockfish being few and far between.

Spkng of winter weather.  The Bay freezing over.  Driving a stripped down VW bug out to drag oyster dredges.

A0F88414-9E59-4C73-849D-B2125FB6A598.jpeg

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

I give you the Hot Shoppes Mighty Mo, Orange Freeze & Hot Fudge Sundae

image.png.7658054ae6555d24472f9a1277112536.png        image.png.17c16c66983818d9cda6b74f909ef548.png       image.png

THE FAMOUS SAUCE:

1/2 cup Hunt's Ketchup

1/4 cup chili sauce

1-1/2 teaspoons A-1 Sauce

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

2 drops Tabasco Sauce

1/2 cup finely chopped sweet pickle

1-1/4 cups mayonnaise

Combine ketchup, chili sauce, A-1 Sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco Sauce. Add pickle to sauce mixture. Combine the sauce-pickle mixture with mayonnaise, stirring until well-blended. Store in a tightly covered container under refrigeration until time of service.

NOW, TO FASHION A FULL-BLOWN MIGHTY MO.....

1 uncut sesame seed hamburger roll (sesame seeds also must be uncut)

1 tablespoon of softened margarine

2 hamburger patties, each two ounces

Salt to taste

White pepper to taste

1 tablespoon shredded lettuce

1 slice American cheese

4 teaspoons Mighty Mo sauce

2 dill pickle chips

Cut hamburger roll crosswise into three equal slices. Spread bottom, top and one side of center cut of bun with margarine. Grill bun until lightly browned and heated throughout.

Shape hamburger into thin 4-inch diameter patties. Grill very lightly on both sides. Do not overcook. Grill second hamburger very lightly on one side, turn and top with American cheese and grill lightly. Do not overcook.

Spread two teaspoons of Mighty Mo sauce on bottom of roll. Top dressing with shredded lettuce, then hamburger. Top hamburger with middle layer of bun, grilled side up. Spread with remaining Mighty Mo sauce.

Top with cheeseburger. Place pickle chips on cheese. Cover with top of bun. Do not cut.

One must always remember that there is really no substitute for the name brands listed, or the measurements or proportions. These burgers were the gooiest and probably that fattiest thing in town, but totally luuuuuuuvvvvvved!!!!

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Hold on! Colored toilet paper?

I remember when video game kiosks in stores actually worked and people used to play them. Oddly as it sounds, I used to go to Target every Saturday with my mom when I was 13 so I could play Goldeneye 007. A dude in his 20's did the same, still think about that dude for some reason.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I remember that snow storm vividly...it was my 17th birthday, a Friday.  We woke up to 38 inches of it. 

I was twelve, it was my last winter in NoVa before we moved to New Mexico.  Snow canyons to my buddies houses and a week off school. Woo hoo!

Bad Company at the Cap Center.  With my mom, who bailed for the car during the warmup band so she wouldn't be second hand high driving us home, and a couple buddies.  First concert and it was an amazing one.

• Like 1

Betamax and Laserdisc players. My Dad had both.

Channel 20 being an independent TV station in DC showing reruns of Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island, and a station host who dressed up like a Vulcan and said "live long and win lots of prizes" when they had contests for kids.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

Channel 20 being an independent TV station in DC showing reruns of Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island, and a station host who dressed up like a Vulcan and said "live long and win lots of prizes" when they had contests for kids.

Capt 20.  I won a bag of M&Ms from that dude for sending in a letter or something. 

Creature Feature was my favorite.  All the old B&W horror movies. Plus Abbott and Costello takes on them.  Got to stay up late Saturday nights.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

the only time I ever saw a laserdisc player was at school. The school had one, and only one, and I only witnessed it used the one time. Can’t tell you what was played on the shiny disc because my brain only considers commercial jingles important enough to lock away with any clarity. Haven’t seen one since. I’m fuzzy on the timeline for those things but I imagine they flamed out rather quickly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

MV5BMGEzYzcxZDctYWU5Yi00MzdmLWEwMWUtNzRj

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

21 hours ago, Destino said:

the only time I ever saw a laserdisc player was at school. The school had one, and only one, and I only witnessed it used the one time. 

My parents had one, as well as a collection of discs. You could only fit about an hour on each side, so you had to get up and flip the disc halfway through the movie. For longer movies there would be a second disc, that often had portions of some random other movie on the B side. Once DVDs came out, they vanished.