Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Remember...?

skinsmarydu

On 8/13/2023 at 4:34 AM, Larry said:

My parents had a Magnavox TV that had a remote control. 

The remote was mechanical.  As you pushed the button, (which had a travel of almost an inch), it would compress a bellows. And at the bottom of the stroke, it would release the compressed air into an ultrasonic whistle. 

And when the TV heard the whistle, a motor in the TV would turn the mechanical channel selector knob. 

As an engineer, I'm always amazed by the ingenuity of early engineers. Humans literally want to the moon using a computer far less sophisticated than the one in your pocket right now.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

On 8/12/2023 at 9:59 PM, Fergasun said:

Casual jokes, punchlinee and innuendo in movies and TVs that would get people cancelled.  Three's Company... 

I remember a few black sitcoms in which a character would use the N word and the studio audience absolutely ate it up. I think it was because we saw it as the characters keeping it 100.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:04 PM, balki1867 said:

As an engineer, I'm always amazed by the ingenuity of early engineers. Humans literally want to the moon using a computer far less sophisticated than the one in your pocket right now.

I still shake my head in wonder and horror when I see the old NASA footage that they were using tech with vacuum tubes and the like to literally fly to the moon. 

As for my memories, I can still see/smell the purple inked mimeograph sheets we’d get in school that smelled like Elmer’s glue and the no bake cookies served in the cafeteria made of chocolate like material with oatmeal in them that were surprisingly good.

I also remember hearing Rapper’s Delight for the first time on the radio and immediately afterward calling my best friend to breathlessly describe this new art form while he blabbered about how he’d heard it too and his mind was blown. After that, I immediately popped a cassette into the recorder next to the radio and sat there with my finger over the record button waiting for it to come on again.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

7 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Dies anyone else remember Fotomat? lol...I absolutely loved seeing them in parking lots when I was a kid, fueled my desire to be a photographer.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/58869f636a49632df37bb311/1486334133493-YAT60E3MIN4YKYG46BAG/Fotomat-Kodak.png?format=2500w

You heard The Song Of the Overanxious Photographer?  

"Some Day My Prints Will Come"?  

• Haha 1

image.jpeg.e429958be3e0100ae6e76e6fc061d34f.jpeg

image.jpeg.0f5bcb97a904f26d168fd206f15f9c83.jpeg

Was near Bailey's Crossroads and saw a rare sight a few years ago

image.thumb.jpeg.219c946c4bf32c6f7f33593ff34eb5e8.jpeg

7 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I remember a few black sitcoms in which a character would use the N word and the studio audience absolutely ate it up. I think it was because we saw it as the characters keeping it 100.

I still shake my head in wonder and horror when I see the old NASA footage that they were using tech with vacuum tubes and the like to literally fly to the moon. 

As for my memories, I can still see/smell the purple inked mimeograph sheets we’d get in school that smelled like Elmer’s glue and the no bake cookies served in the cafeteria made of chocolate like material with oatmeal in them that were surprisingly good.

I also remember hearing Rapper’s Delight for the first time on the radio and immediately afterward calling my best friend to breathlessly describe this new art form while he blabbered about how he’d heard it too and his mind was blown. After that, I immediately popped a cassette into the recorder next to the radio and sat there with my finger over the record button waiting for it to come on again.

there's a clip of redd fox dropping several bombs during the interrogation of a white officer

"Do you arrest any white folks."

"I do!"

"Look at all the epithets in here. It's like a Tarzan movie."

I was so surprised that they could drop that epithet on live TV back in the day. In 2023 there is NO way you could use that word on TV

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Since it's the 54th anniversary of Woodstock (August 15-18, 1969) I was reminded of a something I saw on I95 on our 1969 trip back to DC from Philly - hitchhikers. Yeah, hippie hitchhikers on I95 northbound trying to make it to Woodstock. I used to hitchhike all the time as a teenager (no car, no money but needed to go hangout somewhere). 

And buying these in the '70s to keep people from siphoning your gas...

image.png.bcb27d00b524aaa0c4e043bf555c9416.png

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Thumb up 1

…how cool Star Wars and He-Man toy commercials were in the 1980s during Saturday morning cartoons? The sets seemed so elaborate and so much better than me using my family room carpet and coffee table. Those lucky actors got to set up the Ewok village in a real forest, Hoth in real snow, and Jabba's Palace in real sand. Anytime I was motivated enough to take all my **** outside I'd get too cold, bored, or pissed off because a lost a lightsaber down the sewer. 

• Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

…how cool Star Wars and He-Man toy commercials were in the 1980s during Saturday morning cartoons? The sets seemed so elaborate and so much better than me using my family room carpet and coffee table. Those lucky actors got to set up the Ewok village in a real forest, Hoth in real snow, and Jabba's Palace in real sand. Anytime I was motivated enough to take all my **** outside I'd get too cold, bored, or pissed off because a lost a lightsaber down the sewer. 

There was always some wall of stacked cubes to smash the action figure through for maximum awesomeness.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I remember the best spy movie ever made

That is Michael Crawford, who had quite a range. He played the lead in The Phantom of the Opera for many years and also played a clueless and talentless Frank Spencer in a huge English TV comedy 'Some Mothers Do Have 'Em.' Here's one clip. I can't believe how loud and annoying the laugh track is.