Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

44 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You misspelled "Douchebaugh"

If you lived in the Baltimore metro area, you'd see that a lot of Baltimore fans are sick of his act...

The only reason they are sick of the act is they haven’t been subjected to 6 years of Gruden, 2 years of Zorn, 2 years of Spurrier, however many years of Norv.  And maybe even 3 years of Ron, we’ll see how that turns out this year.

If they had to live through what we’ve lived through, his act would not get old.

• Like 2

Raven's have the rep of being big physical and tough during practices and probably are used to opponents backing down, but I liked what I saw from our squad today. They weren't having none of that and gave everything right back.  Things seem to be changing for the better with this organization and giving the biz right back to the Ravens every time they acted up is something I appreciate.

• Like 15
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The Ravens are always annoyingly feisty at these joint practices. They love to start crap.

Still remember that preseason game where it ended with Jay getting into it with Harbaugh a bit. He was like "dude, what's your deal?" Now Jay's teams definitely lacked discipline, but it was still pretty funny. 

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

Still remember that preseason game where it ended with Jay getting into it with Harbaugh a bit. He was like "dude, what's your deal?" Now Jay's teams definitely lacked discipline, but it was still pretty funny. 

Jay lacked any intensity whatsoever and it’s very telling he got irritated when the opponent came out with intensity.

I had forgotten this.  It’s funny to me the same way him getting a purple nirple from DJax was funny.  I’m a very telling, sad sort of way.  

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You misspelled "Douchebaugh"

If you lived in the Baltimore metro area, you'd see that a lot of Baltimore fans are sick of his act...

He was trying to say he's a

stsmall507x507-pad600x600f8f8f8(1).jpg.84de8876fbcabbd93eea5e4ef5316800.jpg

But the filters can be a little tricky.

• Haha 9

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only reason they are sick of the act is they haven’t been subjected to 6 years of Gruden, 2 years of Zorn, 2 years of Spurrier, however many years of Norv.  And maybe even 3 years of Ron, we’ll see how that turns out this year.

If they had to live through what we’ve lived through, his act would not get old.

Absolutely!

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Washington Commanders’ first joint practice with the Baltimore Ravens got physical quickly. Less than an hour in at the Ravens facility Wednesday, Baltimore linebacker Odafe Oweh grabbed Commanders center Nick Gates by the back of the neck and punched him in the face mask. Gates threw a few jabs back before a scrum pulled them apart.

“You just got to set the tone,” Gates said. “Get it going early. … I like doing it. It just makes it enjoyable for me.”

Gates said he instigates opponents strategically and knows not to let his emotions get the best of him because penalties hurt the team.

“There's a line that you can't cross,” he said, “and I like to get right up to it.”

Here are five takeaways from the first of two joint practices.

Howell crisp on offense’s strong day

Sam Howell followed up a strong preseason debut with a sharp practice full of quick, decisive throws. He might not have thrown a pass more than 15 air yards, but as the completions piled up, the tough Ravens pass rush seemed to grow frustrated. Once, when Baltimore blitzed big on third down, Howell flicked a pass to Terry McLaurin over the middle and trusted his dynamic receiver to get the first down.

On the line, left guard Saahdiq Charles impressed with a few standout wins in one-on-one drills, and during the team portion, he split first-team reps with Chris Paul.

After practice, Coach Ron Rivera said he wanted Howell to get rid of the ball even more quickly on some plays, and multiple offensive players spoke excitedly about the unit’s performance.

“We put together a great day,” receiver Curtis Samuel said, beaming.

Tempers flare late

Practice got chippy in the final team period. After Baltimore receiver Tylan Wallace caught a short pass against rookie cornerback Emmanuel Forbes in coverage, Forbes tried to punch the ball out of Wallace’s grasp and instead sparked his temper. Wallace swung at Forbes, and Forbes swung back, inciting a sideline-clearing skirmish.

Forbes brushed it off after practice, saying they were “just competing.”

On the subsequent play, tight end Mark Andrews body-slammed cornerback Danny Johnson after catching a pass along the right sideline. Ravens tackle Morgan Moses, previously a staple on Washington’s offensive line, joined the fray, and the sidelines cleared again, prompting Ravens Coaches John Harbaugh and Rivera to gather their players at midfield.

Rivera’s message: “It can’t be about yourself. It’s not personal. You get beat, you get beat. Let’s just move on to the next thing, and let’s focus in on what’s happening, what’s important.”

The one notable dust-up on offense happened when Ravens safety Ar’Darius Washington effectively tackled tight end Cole Turner. McLaurin and Dax Milne sprinted over to confront Washington and soon got lost inside a large group of shoving players and coaches, including Rivera.

No Young in team drills

Washington’s starting defensive end dressed in pads but did not do any team work because of a stinger he suffered in the Commanders’ preseason win over the Browns on Friday. Tuesday’s practice was the third in which he did not participate in team drills, and it’s plausible he misses a fourth on Wednesday.

“We’ll see,” Rivera said. “But for the most part right now, we’re just being smart with it. We got to continue to go through it. He will come out and he will do all of the individual [drills], and then we’ll see what the doctors say.”

When Young missed 22 games over the past two seasons while recovering from a knee injury, James Smith-Williams and Casey Toohill rotated to fill the void. On Tuesday, Efe Obada took the reps with the first-team defense.

“Efe’s been solid,” Rivera said. “He’s a guy that gives us a little versatility as well. He’s not just an outside guy, but he’s also a three-technique on passing situations and does a good job with his rushes.”

Tight end Logan Thomas (calf), and cornerbacks Benjamin St-Juste (ankle) and Nick Whiteside attended practice and took part in stretches but did not participate in anything else. Defensive tackle Phidarian Mathis (calf) did not work out at all; he watched the early portion of practice from the field house tunnel, wearing a walking boot on his left foot.

Forbes continues to swarm

His fight with Wallace aside, Forbes had another sound day in the backfield, getting his hand on multiple passes to disrupt the Ravens’ offense. On one play, veteran receiver Odell Beckham Jr. ran a wheel route along the right sideline. Forbes had inside leverage and kept his back to the quarterbacks, so when Beckham turned to catch the ball, Forbes quickly swatted it away.

“He has really good makeup speed,” McLaurin said of Forbes. “He’s good at the catch point. So it’s really [important] for us receivers to be good at the catch point as well, where our hands are a little higher on a deep ball, because he’s good at getting his hands in there and kind of throwing you off your route.”

Forbes was drafted to start immediately at corner. The team is counting on him to help eliminate some of the chunk plays that cost its defense in previous seasons and to rack up more interceptions and pass deflections. So far in camp, he’s played as advertised.

“I really like what I’ve seen from him from a growth standpoint, and you can tell he’s definitely getting more confident within the system,” McLaurin continued. “You can tell he’s learning from Kendall [Fuller] and being more patient and understanding route concepts, and we’re going to need that. … You can definitely see he’s getting his hand more on balls from interceptions and PBUs, which, on defense, I know they’re emphasizing that.”

New owners, Gibbs in attendance

Commanders managing partner Josh Harris and limited partner Mitchell Rales attended practice with former Washington coach Joe Gibbs and Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment CEO Tad Brown.

It’s clear the new owners want to see the finer points of the football operation. Harris and Rales stood on the sideline to watch one-on-ones — the Commanders’ offensive line against the Ravens’ defensive line — and a few periods later, Rales stood in the offensive backfield with coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

They didn't show a lot of our starting O, but from what I saw the O line was exceedingly problematic. Charles in particular struggled.

Its hard to be told one thing and see something else.

I'll get a better look in the PS game for sure, but I hope we see a little more of our O during tomorrow's broadcast

FYI That guy getting run over by Allen is UDFA Jaylon Thomas

As entertaining as it was, who allowed that absolute sacrifice to the blood gods to occur.

Forget the fire, rook was thrown into the inferno.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thumb down 1

49 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Dotson’s route running is so smooth. No wasted steps - really sudden change of direction. He’s going to be a problem to cover, especially opposite Terry. 

He's so fast too.  He's got that gliding kind if speed where it doesn't seem like he is running that hard but he's flying.  Even just running from place to place on the practice field.  I love watching stuff from the field level view/player's point of view so you can see how fast they move better, as if you were the one running.  I was struck by Dotson's speed just jogging from like where the fans were out to where he was going to pactice, and that was like 65% speed.

He ran in the 4.4s at the combine, and there is just no way that is his real best time.  He was rumored to run low 4.3s at Penn State, and he probably runs faster than that 40 all of the time in games.  I bet he can hit 21 mph without getting his heart rate up.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is Reggie White-esque.  He does that two hand hump move all of the time, and it's such a killer because those second and third steps into the contact are blindingly fast and powerful.  I wish they still made those sports science segments from like 10 years ago so they could measure how much force Allen generates from those first few steps on that move.

Allen is hands down one of the scariest dudes in the NFL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1