Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BI: Customers are being asked to tip even at self check-out. Some say it's 'emotional blackmail.'

China

Customers are being asked to tip even at self check-out. Some say it's 'emotional blackmail.'

Self-checkout machines at cafes, sports stadiums, and airports are asking people to tip — and customers aren't happy about giving their extra money to machines.

A recent report from The Wall Street Journal noted the rise of digital, self-checkout kiosks hitting customers with a tip prompt at the end of their transactions. This prompt has frustrated people who are being asked to tip workers with whom they've had no interaction.

The report spoke to a half dozen consumers around the country. The majority found tip cues during self-checkout to be confusing — many wondered where the money was going — though some people were willing to tack on the extra fees.

One customer, for example, who took a beer from a self-service beer fridge at San Diego's Petco Park was asked to include a tip on his order, the Journal reported.

"I was confused, because it wasn't entirely clear who I was tipping," he told the Journal, though he tipped 20% anyway.

A spokeperson for the stadium, which is the home of the San Diego Padres, told the Journal that all tips go to employees. 

A traveler, who was prompted to include a 10% to 20% top on a $6 bottle of water at an OTG gift shop in Newark Liberty International Airport, described the ask as a "bit of emotional blackmail," per the Journal. The customer did not tip.

Click on the link for the full article

The very best first world problem is tipping for an online order.  You’re tipping in anticipation of service.  If it’s delivery, at some point the driver will leave it at the wrong damn door.  He drives away with your 20% while you are left prowling around your neighborhood like a porch pirate.  If its pick up, you leave a generous tip for no good reason and upon arriving discover that their estimated time was way off.  So you sit there like an asshole waiting for another 30min+ while your friends and family text you about how long you’ve been gone.

Im so done with tipping culture.  It needs to die and stay dead.  I’ll be damned if I’m tipping a ****ing machine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not a fan of fast casual restaurants with the tip options.  Especially when the choices are 20. 22, 25% Really? 

We went to a traditional sit down spot for lunch on Cinco de Mayo. The service was…not great. Not because the servers weren’t good or weren’t trying, they were way understaffed to meet the demand. Talking about 20 minutes to come take our order. One drink didn’t come until we were almost done. My drink didn’t come at all.  

We were set to pay, and I was still planning to tip. I felt bad for our waitress. It wasn’t her fault. But when I got the check, it gave you the amount to tip if you want to do 18, 20, 22%.  But I looked at it, and the math was wrong.  My bill was $44 and the suggested tip amount at 20% was over $10.  Not sure if they do that for the mathematically challenged, but I was really put off by it.

• Thumb down 1

why?

i've never been asked to tip at a grocery store or department store. i go out all the time to walmart and target and wegmans and I never tip.

Only restaurants and sometimes when the barber asks for it too at the kiosk

that's it

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I hate the “service fee” or the “delivery fee” and then I’m asked to tip on top of that. Not that I wouldn’t tip, I always do, but it feels like a small heist on top of it. 

That's how the sports ticket services get you. Same with door dash 

Was gonna go to Paramore at capital one I seen the ticket and convenience fees balloon to 100 dollars like excuse me 🙄

• Like 1

A lot of these places all use the same/similar POS system and they aren't custom tailored to one being fast food and one being a sit down restaurant and have the tip setting turned on by default, and who knows if it can even be turned off.

Just press "no" and move on.  It's not a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Tipping has started coming up at Starbucks when you make credit card purchases.  I finally broke down and started using a Starbucks card because that skips the tip screen for some reason.

I agree, it has gotten out of control though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The grocery store always asks would you like to round up your purchase or do you want the children to die?

I like to inform the cashier/clerk that that specific charity is a human trafficking ring and there’s a Netflix documentary about it. 

Shuts them up pretty quick and gets the peanut gallery squawking.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I like to inform the cashier/clerk that that specific charity is a human trafficking ring and there’s a Netflix documentary about it. 

Shuts them up pretty quick and gets the peanut gallery squawking.

Is it true, or do you just make it up?

• Haha 2

Nope, no tipping at self checkouts,, or checkouts period. I tip for service, nothing else, and if I get good service, i overtip considerably. 

Charities, nope. The money hardly ever goes where it's intended, and frankly, through a checkout card scanner, no chance in hell I will give to whatever charity they pretend to donate it to. Way way way too often even 'reputable' charities end up embezzling the money, orusing only like 10% of it on what they say. Charites are businesses, and frankly, i have zero trust in pretty much ANY institution anymore, ESPECIALLY institutions of so called "trust".

A couple years ago I was in a Wal-greens, and their card scanner had a nifty little trick to it. 
The place where you'd expect to find the "pay" button was a donation button, done up to look just like the pay button on the pay screen.
After I clicked the smaller 'no thanks' button, it took me to a screen that was identical to pay.
So no ****ing way. And, no ****ing way have i ever shopped there since.

I often wonder nationwide how many people they scammed with that nasty little trick.

~Bang

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 1 month later...

Americans push back against ‘tip creep’ — ‘It’s time to take a stand,’ expert says

From self-service fast-food restaurant kiosks to smartphone delivery apps, there are more opportunities to tip for a wider range of services than ever before.

But between the high cost of living and uncertain economy, cash-strapped consumers are starting to tip less — and resent tipping prompts even more.

Fewer consumers now say they “always” tip when dining out compared with last year, according to a new report by Bankrate, or for other services, such as ride-shares, haircuts, food delivery, housekeeping and home repairs. 

“Inflation and general economic unease seem to be making Americans stingier with their tipping habits, yet we’re confronted with more invitations to tip than ever,” said Ted Rossman, Bankrate’s senior industry analyst.

Many feel the pressure to tip has increased over the last year, NerdWallet’s consumer budgeting report also found.

However, two-thirds of Americans have a negative view about tipping, according to Bankrate, particularly when it comes to contactless and digital payment prompts with pre-determined options that can range between 15% and 35% for each transaction.

“Now you have to go out of your way to not tip and that’s what a lot of people resent,” Rossman said.

“The problem is that it reached a new standard that we all couldn’t really live with,” he added, particularly when it comes to tipping prompts at a wider range of establishments, a trend also referred to as “tip creep.”

“Now we are inventing new scenarios where tipping should occur.”

I will say a few weeks ago we were in upstate NY and stopped at a Subway inset in a gas station convenience store.  When we went to pay they worker was careful to make sure we didn't tip because she told us that she never saw any of that money.  It just goes into the corporate void and she never gets it.  She had lodged a complaint with the state labor board.

• Thumb down 2

I'd rather that the company pay a decent wage than forcing customers to pay tips especially if the employee isn't getting the tips. That's outright stealing. 

I actually go into the grocery store rather than get deliveries because my budget is so tight that I can use delivery fees and tips for actual food.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Video: DoorDash driver curses at Texas woman who tipped $5 for $20 pizza order

A TikTok video going viral online shows a DoorDash delivery driver in Texas swearing at a customer over the $5 tip she gave him for a $20 order.

"I just want to say it's a nice house for a $5 tip," the driver can be heard saying as he walks away from a home in the door camera video posted to TikTok earlier this week by a user under the name Lacey Purciful.

The woman in the video can be heard saying "you're welcome" in a seemingly sarcastic tone. 

"F*** you," the driver responds before walking away. 

Another reason I don't use DoorDash or any of those "delivery" services.  I don't need some middle man getting my food, and then paying extra for the "convenience" of it taking longer to get and then having to tip both the restaurant and the driver separately.

I don't mind driving and will always order my food for pick-up.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1