Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BI: Customers are being asked to tip even at self check-out. Some say it's 'emotional blackmail.'

China

On 5/9/2023 at 1:34 PM, Die Hard said:

I like to inform the cashier/clerk that that specific charity is a human trafficking ring and there’s a Netflix documentary about it. 

Shuts them up pretty quick and gets the peanut gallery squawking.

You are a sick sick man and I’m going to use this going forward 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, China said:

Video: DoorDash driver curses at Texas woman who tipped $5 for $20 pizza order

A TikTok video going viral online shows a DoorDash delivery driver in Texas swearing at a customer over the $5 tip she gave him for a $20 order.

"I just want to say it's a nice house for a $5 tip," the driver can be heard saying as he walks away from a home in the door camera video posted to TikTok earlier this week by a user under the name Lacey Purciful.

The woman in the video can be heard saying "you're welcome" in a seemingly sarcastic tone. 

"F*** you," the driver responds before walking away. 

Click on the link for the full article

Another reason I don't use DoorDash or any of those "delivery" services.  I don't need some middle man getting my food, and then paying extra for the "convenience" of it taking longer to get and then having to tip both the restaurant and the driver separately.

I don't mind driving and will always order my food for pick-up.

City life has changed is.  We order Door dash or grubhub probably 4-5 times a week.

3 hours ago, China said:

Another reason I don't use DoorDash or any of those "delivery" services.  I don't need some middle man getting my food, and then paying extra for the "convenience" of it taking longer to get and then having to tip both the restaurant and the driver separately.

im also good with pickup. These third party services are garbage. I’d say “hot garbage” but the food they bring me is never hot. The other day one of these sympathetic figures deserving of a massive tip left my food on the curb. The ****ing curb!

I’ve never interacted with a business as consistently awful as these 3rd party delivery services, and the kicker is everyone I care about in the situation loses. I lose because they suck. The local restaurants I like are losing money. The drivers are getting paid peanuts. The only one winning is the app, and I couldn’t care less about those assholes given the plague they’ve unleashed on society.  

• Like 2

Yeah we rarely ever use food delivery services.  It just seems like the total added cost isn't worth it for me not to have to drive what is usually an average of  0.5-2 miles to get the food.  Of course the last time we used one, our order was wrong and everyone you call blames someone else for the mess up.  For some folks the convenience is worth the extra money so that is fine, but for me it's not.

As far as tipping goes, I agree the tipping prompts on damn near every single check out kiosk is annoying.  I wouldn't say I get angry about it though, just annoyed and there is definitely some social pressure to leave a tip, but trust me, the first few times you click no, it gets easier and easier after that.

1. I did this one time while I was living in Manassas because I was too drunk to go to Taco Bell. The delivery fee was more than my order...cheaper than a DUI though.

2. Last year I got a free year of Grub Hub with Amazon Prime and no delivery fee, figured I'd try it out. I had to spend a minimum of $12, got 6 junior bacon cheeseburgers. They charged me $10 to bring it 10 miles...ok, good deal. However, it took an hour and a half to get here (still hot somehow), but in the middle of getting here, I was charged another $10 for some adjustment fee. $32 for $6 junior bacon cheeseburger? **** you!

I'm thinking this is a generic checkout system also used in restaurants. That's the only explanation I have for a tip prompt at a self serve checkout.  

As for the Door Dash driver I did this a bit in retirement.  $5 for a pizza delivery is certainly an OK tip.  This driver was totally out of line, it should not matter how nice the house was, and he will be fired by Door Dash.  They absolutely can't be doing that stuff. 

On a side note DD's policy used to be you can get 3 moving violations in 3 years, after that you are kicked off.  Now their policy is 1 ticket and you are gone.  I have to believe this change was motivated by their insurance carrier who no doubt gives them a lower premium.  Keep that in mind when trying to decide on a tip for the driver.  

• Thumb up 1

Just a general gut feeling?  

The feeling I get is that what's going on in society is businesses pushing more and more workers into the category of "Hey, we don't pay them enough for their job, and we'll try to make it look like it's the customer's fault if they fail to voluntarily pay more than the price they were told for an item."  

I think what needs to happen, is to get rid of the "minimum wage can be ignored for 'traditionally tipped' workers" loophole that'd driving this.  

Minimum wage applies to all employees.  Businesses will factor the wage into the posted prices for their items.  Consumers can see the actual price, at the time of purchase.  (Maybe an exemption for seasonal agricultural workers.  At least, I think it might be a debated separately.)  

And no more "if you tip less than 20% then you're an asshole, and somebody might spit in your food.".  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Casa Bonita, the restaurant that the South Park creators own, and spend millions of dollars to renovate, are paying their staff $30/hour with a no tipping policy. Could be interesting. 

And some of the tipped staff are not happy from what I read. Good luck to them.

Danny Meyer(shake shack) went to no tipping but after the pandemic reversed course.

Danny Meyer’s Restaurants Will End Their No-Tipping Policy - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

One of the country’s best-known restaurateurs, Danny Meyer, announced five years ago that his Union Square Hospitality Group would gradually eliminate tipping. The group’s decision began an industrywide examination of the age-old practice, but adopting it proved complicated, especially in New York State, where laws governing tip distribution are strict.

Still, especially in recent months, many Americans have come to agree with Mr. Meyer that tipping contributes to unequal pay, racism, sexual harassment and power disparities in the industry.

But on Monday, the company reversed course. Mr. Meyer told his staff that Union Square Hospitality would abandon what it calls its “Hospitality Included” policy as its restaurants reopen for outdoor dining, starting on Thursday with the flagship Union Square Cafe in the Flatiron district and extending to the nearby Gramercy Tavern in the coming weeks. (Some of the group’s other businesses are already open for takeout and delivery, and all will shift to tipped wages immediately.)

• Sad 1

@CobraCommander

I guarantee the people complaining are the bartenders. I never served but have some close friends who served and worked the bar. Bar was the place if you could keep up the pace and were personable enough. Friend of mine used to work at Mex at Power Plant, his best was like a grand on Saturday night shift. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Minimum wage for tipped employees in NC? $2.13 an hour. 😬

Which I believe is the federal minimum for tipped employees. Then you have states like Washington where they go by local minimum wage. So when I was working in the kitchen in Seattle and making 11/hr so was the wait staff. But they got tips and were not by law allowed to share them with back of house. Or so I was told.

28 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

@CobraCommander

I guarantee the people complaining are the bartenders. I never served but have some close friends who served and worked the bar. Bar was the place if you could keep up the pace and were personable enough. Friend of mine used to work at Mex at Power Plant, his best was like a grand on Saturday night shift. 

They stand to lose the most. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Thumb up 1

The Casa Bonita story is fun and all but most restaurants can’t afford 30/hr. Their sales will probably be propped up by Southpark Marchandise.

The last three restaurant/catering companies have promised me

Healthcare a 401k with match and then again 401k.

I lost my healthcare after 3 months because the owners weren’t paying it. Even though they had plenty of money for coke fueled ragers

The last company was stealing my 401k contributions and keeping the money until I finally got them to pay up after 6 months. I quit shortly after getting my money. 

My current boss has promised a 401k plan since 2019 when I started. Still nothing. But I guess it’s better than being stolen from. 

• Sad 1

On 7/6/2023 at 3:47 PM, CobraCommander said:

The Casa Bonita story is fun and all but most restaurants can’t afford 30/hr. Their sales will probably be propped up by Southpark Marchandise.

The last three restaurant/catering companies have promised me

Healthcare a 401k with match and then again 401k.

I lost my healthcare after 3 months because the owners weren’t paying it. Even though they had plenty of money for coke fueled ragers

The last company was stealing my 401k contributions and keeping the money until I finally got them to pay up after 6 months. I quit shortly after getting my money. 

My current boss has promised a 401k plan since 2019 when I started. Still nothing. But I guess it’s better than being stolen from. 

This is pretty horrible right here.  How can they steal and not be prosecuted?

As for the hourly rate and no tip policy at first I was not onboard. I think a tip is a great way to give feedback.  A crappy server should not be getting paid like a great server. Then I realized that I can't really remember a server on either extreme.  They all tend to be attentive, nice, etc.  But if I did experience poor service, and of course I have, no way I'm tipping my typical 20% to the server who was sitting at the bar on their phone.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Some folks literally make the vast majority of their pay on tips and some flat out don't, not even close.

I've delivered pizzas and worked in restaurants for years before doing IT, it does not phase me when I get something in the food court and leave a 0% tip then order something via delivery and do 30%.

The tipped minimum wage situation is similar to the problem with wide spread private health insurance in the US, the correction needed to get to where Western Europe is with salaried waitresses and universal healthcare will have victims no matter how carefully we try to transition.

That doesn't mean don't do it.

• Thanks 1

The No. 1 place where Americans forget to tip but should ‘always’ leave at least $3, from an etiquette expert

More Americans might be skimping on tips at restaurants and hair salons amid persistent inflation. But there's one important place they're often forgetting to pay gratuity altogether amid the "tipflation" debate, according to one etiquette expert: hotels.

Hotel housekeepers are often stiffed on gratuities — but it's a service you should "always tip on," Diane Gottsman, founder of The Protocol School in Texas and a nationally-recognized etiquette expert, tells CNBC Make It.

"We tend to take housekeepers' work for granted, as we expect our room to be sparkling clean if we're paying to sleep there," Gottsman explains. Since most housekeeping is done when the guest isn't around, "they're out of sight and, therefore, out of mind," she adds.

The percentage of Americans who always tip hotel housekeepers is steadily declining, down to 23% this year from 28% in 2021, according to a recent Bankrate survey of more than 2,000 adults. Comparatively, 65% of Americans said they tip servers at sit-down restaurants. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 7:29 PM, China said:

Video: DoorDash driver curses at Texas woman who tipped $5 for $20 pizza order

What my $30 hamburger reveals about fees and how companies use them to jack up prices

It started out innocently enough: lazy Monday, working late, nothing in the fridge. I decided to splurge and order a burger and fries for delivery.

Subtotal for my meal? $14.07. A little pricey, but it's a good burger and $14 seemed like a totally acceptable price for dinner, especially when it's delivered to my door.

Then came the fees:

Delivery fee: $5.49
Service fee: $3
Tip: $4
Tax: $1.25

Grand total for my delivery burger: $27.81

My lazy Monday went from costing me $14 to almost $30. The price had doubled. What was going on?

2 hours ago, China said:

What my $30 hamburger reveals about fees and how companies use them to jack up prices

It started out innocently enough: lazy Monday, working late, nothing in the fridge. I decided to splurge and order a burger and fries for delivery.

Subtotal for my meal? $14.07. A little pricey, but it's a good burger and $14 seemed like a totally acceptable price for dinner, especially when it's delivered to my door.

Then came the fees:

Delivery fee: $5.49
Service fee: $3
Tip: $4
Tax: $1.25

Grand total for my delivery burger: $27.81

My lazy Monday went from costing me $14 to almost $30. The price had doubled. What was going on?

Happened to me last week.  Got a small pie and some boneless chicken bites.  Ended up being $33.  Next day, the place puts menu pies 30% off. 

• Sad 1