Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, method man said:

This is my thinking too. No matter what the record is, if we can get to a top 12 offense based on DVOA, next season is a success. We can focus on shoring up the D in 25 and 26

Yes, the league is offense driven and becoming more so. Gotta score to win in today's NFL. You might not be able to find size and speed in the later rounds for the defense, but you can find speed

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Yeah that is my concern too. He is whole 1 inch shorter than Josh Allen. Only 6' 4", 210 lbs.

Capture.PNG.a90bdb13355b565bf0d17f7b6877fcde.PNG

This is what I saw and went with that.

12 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Are you talking about Daniel Snyder?

He's listed as 6'2" and 185lbs from one of my draft sites. It's not my fault it is inaccurate geez.

Just smell that Xmas spirit!

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Capture.PNG.a90bdb13355b565bf0d17f7b6877fcde.PNG

This is what I saw and went with that.

He's listed as 6'2" and 185lbs from one of my draft sites. It's not my fault it is inaccurate geez.

He got some of caijun jumbo in him and hit a growth spurt. There is something in the water down in sec country

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

QB really is going to be our go to move isn’t it. 

Im skeptical still. I think all 3 will be gone before our pick. I dont think the cowboys play their starters in the finale and the Jets have totally imploded. I suspect we pick somewhere between 4th and 8th, and miss out on them. I think we'll be in position for either an OT, or a trade down. I'm interested in Daniels, but as boring as it is for me to repeat it, he scares the hell out of me. I feel far less confident in him than I did in Lawrence and Fields two years ago and both of them went blah and the rest of that class went bust. I'd be super excited with a top 2 pick, and go QB easily. I don't know whats going to happen w/2 of our 3 remaining games. We could easily lose all 3, but 2 of those are against teams w/zero incentive to win and in one case, w/a totally broken offense. 

We could drop pretty far w/bad results in those games. I'll feel much better if/when we lose to the Jets, then I'll know there's only so much damage the cowboys can do to us by resting starters, its very frustrating to think how flukey this all is. Otoh, there are some wins on the table that became losses through nonsense and bad luck (Bears home game, Seattle win that turned into a loss when the D folded like lawn chairs in seconds etc). 

30 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

You only need to look at the draft history of teams Eugene Shen has been associated with. QB, TE, WR, OL, gonna be fun. Then a mid-later round RB.

Yes and we have a bunch of early picks and this a good early draft for OL, WR and kind of with QB's. TE's I only like a couple until day 3. Load up on OL, a WR and perhaps a QB and TE. 

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Im skeptical still. I think all 3 will be gone before our pick. I dont think the cowboys play their starters in the finale and the Jets have totally imploded. I suspect we pick somewhere between 4th and 8th, and miss out on them. I think we'll be in position for either an OT, or a trade down. I'm interested in Daniels, but as boring as it is for me to repeat it, he scares the hell out of me. I feel far less confident in him than I did in Lawrence and Fields two years ago and both of them went blah and the rest of that class went bust. I'd be super excited with a top 2 pick, and go QB easily. I don't know whats going to happen w/2 of our 3 remaining games. We could easily lose all 3, but 2 of those are against teams w/zero incentive to win and in one case, w/a totally broken offense. 

We could drop pretty far w/bad results in those games. I'll feel much better if/when we lose to the Jets, then I'll know there's only so much damage the cowboys can do to us by resting starters, its very frustrating to think how flukey this all is. Otoh, there are some wins on the table that became losses through nonsense and bad luck (Bears home game, Seattle win that turned into a loss when the D folded like lawn chairs in seconds etc). 

If Philly loses tonight, it helps us on several levels.  It might mean be our game with Dallas has importance to Dallas-I believe they are going to be at the same time as the Philly game.  Also, our strength of schedule becomes weaker.  As for Howell, lately it has been distressing, but he has good company with other quarterbacks who turned out decent or very good and turned it around in year 2.  I guess he is also in good company with quarterbacks who turned out bad, also.  I would love to trade back from the 2nd or 3rd pick and get a haul of draft picks.  We could do this while remaining in the top 7, where there are 2 excellent wide receivers, an excellent tight end, and 2 excellent OTs so we would get a prime player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Cowboys arent gonna be resting anybody. They are still playing for something. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

If Philly loses tonight, it helps us on several levels.  It might mean be our game with Dallas has importance to Dallas-I believe they are going to be at the same time as the Philly game.  Also, our strength of schedule becomes weaker.  As for Howell, lately it has been distressing, but he has good company with other quarterbacks who turned out decent or very good and turned it around in year 2.  I guess he is also in good company with quarterbacks who turned out bad, also.  I would love to trade back from the 2nd or 3rd pick and get a haul of draft picks.  We could do this while remaining in the top 7, where there are 2 excellent wide receivers, an excellent tight end, and 2 excellent OTs so we would get a prime player.

What makes me happy is I doubt very seriously the cowboys are going to want to go into the playoffs with the stink of loosing to this team. Especially 2 years in a row

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I'm convinced the posters on this forum aren't really following Trevor Lawrence's career and don't know how good he's been.  Trevor Lawrence is already one of the star QBs of the league and is propping up a shaky Jaguars team, and is probably going to win an MVP one day.

But I agree with you, I don't think we're going to finish in the top three or four picks and get one of the top QBs.  I think they're going to bench Sam Howell and get a cheap feel good win with Brissett down the stretch and pick ~7 or 8.

I'm going to be honest: I'm at peace with missing out on the top QBs because I don't actually have any hope for this team.  I believe that franchise QBs are made rather than found, and I don't believe that this organization has made the structural improvements required to develop one of these kids into a franchise QB.  Maybe they'll get there eventually, but I have zero reason to believe that it will happen in the time frame that Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels would need to be successful here.  This franchise is contemptible and utterly incompetent and uncompetitive.  We're third rate in every sense.  I don't enjoy seeing promising young careers come here to die, and I don't think we deserve to get the opportunity to ruin any more young quarterbacks.

I also don't have the kind of faith in this new ownership group that everyone else seems to.  I think they can be better and more competent (or at least respectable) than the Snyder regime was, and still be a world away from being legitimately good.  And I think that's the case.

So I don't really care what happens to the team at QB.  I am fine picking Malik Nabers or Jared Verse because I want someone fun and good to root for on Sundays before I go and watch the real NFL football get contested by other teams.

• Thumb up 3

27 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yes and we have a bunch of early picks and this a good early draft for OL, WR and kind of with QB's. TE's I only like a couple until day 3. Load up on OL, a WR and perhaps a QB and TE. 

I think if QB wasn’t in the mix Bowers would be our nailed on first pick. But what to do at QB…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I think if QB wasn’t in the mix Bowers would be our nailed on first pick. But what to do at QB…..

I have my concerns going TE that early in general, but just logistically - given the apparent depth at OT and WR, and the lackluster TE class overall - going with Bowers makes a lot of sense IMO.  That’s not even factoring that our TEs are lacking, TEs can be a QBs best friend (especially a young QB), and it’s not a position where good ones hit FA usually.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Give me this guy and I am happy

Best way for a young QB to succeed? OL, Run Game, strong Center. The idea of going with a dynamic RB in the 3rd is increasingly appealing to me if we go QB early too. As long as we come out of the draft with a TE and WR with size in the early rounds, you got me. Assume something will happen in FA where we address the offense weapons as well. We'll see.

image.png.1fb9bed4a0f39be515592c8ac1c18c53.png

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I have my concerns going TE that early in general, but just logistically - given the apparent depth at OT and WR, and the lackluster TE class overall - going with Bowers makes a lot of sense IMO.  That’s not even factoring that our TEs are lacking, TEs can be a QBs best friend (especially a young QB), and it’s not a position where good ones hit FA usually.

May go some combo of FA+Rook at TE. If we can't nab someone who can walk in and be a Day 1 starter (Bowers or Sanders?) it would make a lot of sense. I think Thomas has to be a cap casuality. He has lost a massive step and we can cut him and save a good chunk of $$. We could slide that compensation over to a FA TE. Hunter Henry or Dalton Schultz would be decent stopgaps. Mike Gesicki too, though he's fallen off this year. Hard to tell if that's a product of the Pats offense or what. With a new FO coming into NE I would think both guys would hit FA. Henry has more pedigree and production. Whether our QB is Howell or a rookie, I think bringing in Henry would be prudent. Add a 3rd or 4th round TE .. plus Bates and Turner, we might have enough to support the passing game "on the cheap"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I'm convinced the posters on this forum aren't really following Trevor Lawrence's career and don't know how good he's been.  Trevor Lawrence is already one of the star QBs of the league and is propping up a shaky Jaguars team, and is probably going to win an MVP one day.

But I agree with you, I don't think we're going to finish in the top three or four picks and get one of the top QBs.  I think they're going to bench Sam Howell and get a cheap feel good win with Brissett down the stretch and pick ~7 or 8.

I'm going to be honest: I'm at peace with missing out on the top QBs because I don't actually have any hope for this team.  I believe that franchise QBs are made rather than found, and I don't believe that this organization has made the structural improvements required to develop one of these kids into a franchise QB.  Maybe they'll get there eventually, but I have zero reason to believe that it will happen in the time frame that Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels would need to be successful here.  This franchise is contemptible and utterly incompetent and uncompetitive.  We're third rate in every sense.  I don't enjoy seeing promising young careers come here to die, and I don't think we deserve to get the opportunity to ruin any more young quarterbacks.

I also don't have the kind of faith in this new ownership group that everyone else seems to.  I think they can be better and more competent (or at least respectable) than the Snyder regime was, and still be a world away from being legitimately good.  And I think that's the case.

So I don't really care what happens to the team at QB.  I am fine picking Malik Nabers or Jared Verse because I want someone fun and good to root for on Sundays before I go and watch the real NFL football get contested by other teams.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I understood the point the poster made but was also surprised they lumped Lawrence and Fields together.   Lawrence struggled as rookie, but he very good the second half of last season and this season so far.  But I can see how you remember hearing talk from say mid-last season that Lawrence really hasn't hit yet and remember that and not realize he took off the second half of last year and played well this year.

3 hours ago, mac8887 said:

He got some of caijun jumbo in him and hit a growth spurt. There is something in the water down in sec country

I didn’t know @Jumbo was Cajun…

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Thank you. I agree with such a high portion of this. 

We just aren’t where we need to be to start the timer on a franchise QB. My view can change if we make some great moves in the off-season. But my current view is skeptical that will work… at best… given how awful this franchise is operating.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I had a dark view of how this season would unfold.  i didn't think it would end up this dark but I did predict a losing season.  And I did think they did a crap job this off season.  You were optimistic and felt good about where this team was going.

But now I am the optimist moving forward.  And that's cool.  I know you are one of the outliers here about not being high about the new ownership group.    I am VERY high about the new ownership group and its not about hope to feel hope.  @Conn among others could attest to the idea that I among others wanted it to be Harris (over Bezos, etc) once I dived deep into what kind of person he was and how he runs organizations.

Granted my highest hopes might end up dashed.  But just saying i am high on him just like I would be high on any draft prospect on this thread based on spending a lot of time researching the subject.

I think you will be both pleasantly surprised by Harris and conversely it will bring home that EVERYTHING about how this franchise was dysfunctional was driven by a sports owner who was so bad that they will be talking about him 50 years later as the worst owner ever in sports.

Dan let the stadium go to crap, the facilities, would play GM himself, hire clowns to run the FO, etc.  He was the walking dysfunction along with his hires.  This is all going to die finally in a few weeks.

We don't suck because Washington historically is just a bad franchise.  I became a fan in the 80s because this was the class of the NFL.  Best coaches.  Best FO. An organization of competence and class.

Harris can't build this overnight.  But I expect a difference that's light years difference.  Keim who is conservative and is no clown (among others talking about this subject) who is talking to people around this ownership group said these guys are really smart and committed.  He lived though as a reporter the whole Dan era.  He goes its a night and day difference.   But its not just him who has this take.  

The way i see it is Dan was the problem.  It's not about some odd pall over the organization itself.  But Dan.   He's gone.  We've gone from having an incompetent version of Darth Vadar running this team to the Rebel Alliance in charge.    It's night and day.  It's a dramatic difference.  But will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I have not seen every play, I can only see what they show on Red Zone or when they play in prime time including last night.  But I have seen him a fair amount and to be honest I have no idea how you can claim today, right now, that Trevor Lawrence is one of the stars in the league.  His stats certainly don't reflect that, I have never heard or read anyone who has this take on Lawrence.  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I had a dark view of how this season would unfold.  i didn't think it would end up this dark but I did predict a losing season.  And I did think they did a crap job this off season.  You were optimistic and felt good about where this team was going.

But now I am the optimist moving forward.  And that's cool.  I know you are one of the outliers here about not being high about the new ownership group.    I am VERY high about the new ownership group and its not about hope to feel hope.  @Conn among others could attest to the idea that I among others wanted it to be Harris (over Bezos, etc) once I dived deep into what kid of person he was and how he runs organizations.

Granted my highest hopes might end up dashed.  But just saying i am high on him just like I would be high on any draft prospect on this thread based on spending a lot of time researching the subject.

I think you will be both pleasantly surprised by Harris and conversely it will bring home that EVERYTHING about how this franchise was dysfunctional was driven by a sports owner who was so bad that they will be talking about him 50 years later as the worst owner ever in sports.

Dan let the stadium go to crap, the facilities, would play GM himself, hire clowns to run the FO, etc.  He was the walking dysfunction along with his hires.  This is all going to die finally in a few weeks.

We don't suck because Washington historically is just a bad franchise.  I became a fan in the 80s because this was the class of the NFL.  Best coaches.  Best FO. An organization of competence and class.

Harris can't build this overnight.  But I expect a difference that's light years difference.  Keim who is conservative and is no clown (among others talking about this subject) who is talking to people around this ownership group said these guys are really smart and committed.  He lived though as a reporter the whole Dan era.  He goes its a night and day difference.   But its not just him who this take.  

The way i see it is Dan was the problem.  It's not about some odd pall over the organization itself.  But Dan.   He's gone.  We've gone from having an incompetent version of Darth Vadar running this team to the Rebel Alliance in charge.    It's night and day.  It's a dramatic difference.  But will see.

I am optimistic because, unlike college football, we see teams rise from the ashes and become good quickly every season.  Detroit, Jacksonville (outside of a few years), before that the Bengals and Browns were doormats for decades and now all these teams are in the playoff hunt.  .   

• Like 1

I did some drafts trading down using the draft value chart and PFF simulator.  With the number 2 pick my trade down from 2 was based on the history of trading up for a QB.  I excluded picking  some players who seemed to be slotted too low like Jayden Daniels QB who went 39th on one of the drafts.

From 3rd pick
Added draft picks 2025
-Tennesee’1st next year

Rome Odunze WR
Taliese Fuaga T
Patrick Paul T
Tyler Guyton T
Christian Mahogany G 
Sedrick Van Pran C 

From 4th pick
Added draft picks 2025
DEN R2
DEN R4
Cin R4
DEN R6

Amarius MimsT 
Jordan MorganT 
Adonai MitchellWR 
Ja'Tavion SandersTE 
Jackson Powers-JohnsonC 
Christian HaynesG 
Tate RatledgeG 
Bucky Irving HB 

From 2nd pick
Added draft picks 2025
NE R1
TB R1
NE R2
NE R3
TB R3

Olumuyiwa Fashanu T 
Troy Fautanu T 
Emeka EgbukaWR 
Jackson Powers-Johnson C 
Christian Mahogany G 
Bucky Irving HB 

47 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am optimistic because, unlike college football, we see teams rise from the ashes and become good quickly every season.  Detroit, Jacksonville (outside of a few years), before that the Bengals and Browns were doormats for decades and now all these teams are in the playoff hunt.  .   

Agree.

It was never going to happen with Dan.  Not because we are the Washington Redskins-Football Team-Commanders but because it was Dan Snyder's team. 

Dan turned one of the best franchises in the country to a laughing stock.

I get the cyncism people have.  Look cyncism wins out most of the time during the Dan era.   

I've been cynical about plenty of things.  I was a vocal critic of Zorn.  I turned on Shanny when the 2013 season imploded.  I hated Bruce Allen and how he ran this organization.  I thought Ron did a crap job this off season and obliterated him on various threads for months.  And of course killed Dan for almost two decades.   So I am not a stranger to feeling negative.  And some people on some threads who were more positive about things disliked my negativity.   lol, I recall one person who is no longer here calling me and some others bad fans for not having Bruce and Dan's back.

But, I am not negative-cynical about everything.  I was one of the people who thought Dan might sell the team.  Some were pissy at me and others for bringing it up accusing us of being naive as recent as a few months before he put the team up for sale.  And when Dan said he might sell the team, I thought he indeed would. Some were skeptical.  And I've thought for eons this organization would be night and day better when Dan was gone. So when we finally blew up the Death Star, when Dan left, i among other here were giddy.  I still am.

The idea that Dan's left over regime is imploding in front of our eyes doesn't make me feel negative about the new regime.  Instead, it feels more than fitting.    And I'll add it brings some poetry to the start of a new regime to hopefully have a top 5 pick in arguably a stacked draft as to meeting our needs.  All of this is good.  Not bad.

And yeah I agree I don't think it will take forever to get good.  With all of those picks and cap room being managed by likely one of the top minds in the NFL should be fun.  I know we are used to dudes who don't know personnel to run personnel.  But that is about to change.    If Bruce Allen or Ron or Cerrato were running this team in concert with Dan we'd be spinning out wheels and we'd never win and act like we are on some odd 5 year plan than never comes to fruition.

That dance is about to change.  And for those who don't think it will -- hard for me to imagine they thought Dan was awful.  Because heck if people see Dan as the problem then everything else would feel dramatically more appealing -- emphazing the world dramatically.  Not just a little better.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3