Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

25 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Who is the top prospect for 2025? I feel like there is a solid chance we’ll be picking first overall. We are in shambles.

You might be right. I am not ruling out a full roster blow-up and go into full re-build mode. But that could/likely would include a QB with the 1st pick. 

And, we've seen, with a good coach and a new vision, anything is possible. Look at the Texans this year. Even if we go full re-build, we can't necessarily bank on a Top 3 pick next year. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

I just made this point in another thread but it's worth rehashing:

I am looking at this franchise as an expansion franchise for the 2024 season.

All the cap space, all the turnover, the slew of picks (minus the second first), awful facilities, new ownership, new management...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

That’s my biggest pause with Daniels. If you’re going to ignore it, I guess the argument would be that even for an NFL player his athleticism is special (though as has been noted, he’ll need to run differently in the league). But that raises more questions about why it took so long to come together into a Heisman type season. 

With Pickett, the elite tools weren’t there. People had to hope the mental processing and general accuracy he finally displayed in college translated directly to the pros. That wasn’t a good bet in my view at the time and he’s been unsurprisingly mediocre—though in a horrible scheme. Never mind the tiny baby hands.

Pickett was never close to being a heisman, and didn't do anything remotely close to what daniels did, plus daniels had a solid year the year before, and many projected him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. It's not like he has had just 1 phenomenal year and nothing else. He did have 1 year I believe it was his second year as a starter that wasn't good

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

All the cap space, all the turnover, the slew of picks (minus the second first), awful facilities, new ownership, new management...

I think this is accurate. And I think we need to look at 2024 as a re-building year to set up 2025 and beyond. Hopefully the new GM and Coach can come in and make quick work of the re-build. But I think we'll be looking at some trades and cuts that might surprise people. 

Just now, mac8887 said:

Pickett was never close to being a heisman, and didn't do anything remotely close to what daniels did, plus daniels had a solid year the year before, and many projected him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. It's not like he has had just 1 phenomenal year and nothing else. He did have 1 year I believe it was his second year as a starter that wasn't good

Burrow also had a similar "okay" 2nd to last year and he went into the 2019 season as a projected 3rd to 6th round pick. Then he blew up in 2019 and the rest is history. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I get that, and how sad compared to where we thought we were in August. Thought the defense was going to be strong, Rivera still had his head in the game, Snyder was in the past and EB was bringing new vision to the play calling.

Just now, DWinzit said:

I get that, and how sad compared to where we thought we were in August. Thought the defense was going to be strong, Rivera still had his head in the game, Snyder was in the past and EB was bringing new vision to the play calling.

As you know, I was never as high on this roster. Though I did think we were somewhere in the 6-11 to 10-7 range as a franchise. I thought it likely we were closer to the 6-7 win mark than the higher.

Our roster isn't great.

And since we're THIS bad, it will get worse weekly unless we run into a team even worse. And I'm not sure that's possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

As you know, I was never as high on this roster. Though I did think we were somewhere in the 6-11 to 10-7 range as a franchise. I thought it likely we were closer to the 6-7 win mark than the higher.

Our roster isn't great.

And since we're THIS bad, it will get worse weekly unless we run into a team even worse. And I'm not sure that's possible. 

Yeah, I didn't expect a playoff appearance but I thought we'd be righted for a serious 2024 playoff run.

Instead we are in the same rebuild mode we fans have grown accustomed to 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

With our draft position, a new front office and coaching staff, it seems like that is the correct move to me. 

I'd say so, especially if Joe Hortiz is the new GM.  He can draft Lamar Jackson 2.0 in Jayden Williams, if he's there at #4 or #3.  Maybe Caleb Williams if he drops.  I don't think enough (draft pick wise) will be given up for a team in front of us to trade down.  It would have to be a boat load.  It could happen but I don't think it does. 

29 minutes ago, Conn said:

Is this a lesson learned from the Pickett draft year? I remember that was my biggest issue with him finally blowing up and it wasn’t a concern of yours at the time. He didn’t get a ton of snaps that first year but he did practice and play, so imo still a super senior kind of situation where he was noticeably older, more developed, and more experienced than most of the people he played with and against.  

Yes and no.  I'd still draft Nix or Penix if I had no chance at Maye or Daniels.  But I definitely wouldn't prefer them over Maye or Daniels.

You've got to have a QB, and sometimes the best you can do are flawed prospects like Pickett or Nix/Penix.

But hopefully that's not us this year.  There wasn't anybody like Daniels or Maye in '22.

I still think Nix can be a really good NFL QB in the right situation, a la Jalen Hurts.  I just wouldn't bet on him if I had better options.  I want someone who can be a really good QB even in a crap situation a la Justin Herbert, because that's what he's going to get in Washington.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

He has genuine creativity as a runner, and high end speed.  Noticed the breakaway speed in the A&M game too.  But that run you posted in the tweet is a good example of big time runs that will not translate to the NFL.  Only the Justin Herberts and Josh Allens of the NFL can make a living running through the middle of NFL defenses.  Jayden could do it once, and then the next time he tries it he will die.

He can still beat defenses to the edges for sure, even at the next level.  But those big middle field runs where he gets his gaudy YPC from are staying in college.

When watching him, a lot of his big runs were on the edges including in that same game where he cut through the middle.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Talking purely about Daniels as a runner.  This dude if he can stay healthy will put up big running numbers in the NFL IMO.   His elusiveness in open field is special IMO.  I don't think he's as fast as RG3 but is the more dangerous runner because of his cutback ability and vision as a runner.  

8.4 YPC this year year which is sick.   3.8 for D. Watson in his last season.  3.9 for RG3 in his last season.

I agree about his running ability. It is elite. My issue is his ability to read a defense at the next level. Watch some game film of his with the entire field. He misses wide open receivers way too often. He did improve his willingness to stand in the pocket this season. So that imo is a positive that he is willing to learn and adapt. Personally I wouldnt take him in the first round. But I wont lose sleep over it it our new GM does. I think Daniels is going to have a steep learning curve at the next level. But his legs can probably make him dangerous until he learns as well. 

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

QB really is going to be our go to move isn’t it. 

It’s time. The idea of building a championship caliber team around Sam Howell is just such a long shot. If you do everything right, then maybe in two years you have a good enough roster around him, just in time for him to need to get paid or worse yet walk away. Time for a first round QB, with five years of a friendly contract to build around him, and the upside to give us a ten year run of being a contender if we get lucky and hit. I know a lot of you are going to hate this idea, but I would offer the Bears their second round pick back, and next year’s first, to move up for Williams. If people can’t stomach that, then just draft Daniels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

I'm right there with you, McCarthy seems to grade out as a game manager, maybe in the Brock Purdy mold. I wouldn't mind him if we had or had the ability to get the playmakers San Fran has, but there is only so many of them to go around. But if a new coach really liked him, I think I could get behind him

I think both McCarthy and Nix are game managers. McCarthy has the better arm. Nix is the better processor imo. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I agree about his running ability. It is elite. My issue is his ability to read a defense at the next level. Watch some game film of his with the entire field. He misses wide open receivers way too often. He did improve his willingness to stand in the pocket this season. So that imo is a positive that he is willing to learn and adapt. Personally I wouldnt take him in the first round. But I wont lose sleep over it it our new GM does. I think Daniels is going to have a steep learning curve at the next level. But his legs can probably make him dangerous until he learns as well. 

His accuracy looked fine to me.  Drake Maye, who I also like missed more receivers.   He has one of the highest adjusted completion rates (PFF) in this class.  But he can be streaky.  Just like Maye.  And agree with @Going Commando not too many tight window throws.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I think both McCarthy and Nix are game managers. McCarthy has the better arm. Nix is the better processor imo. 

I just started watching Nix.  Just one game.  Based on that he reminds me of Daniel Jones in that he's strength are those first level throws -- in the flat, hitting receivers in stride.  He throws it with nice touch.  But I've just started absorbing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If it is, we shouldn’t go after Daniels, either. 

He's a different situation to me.  For him, the version of the lightbulb coming on and blowing up was playing like Joe Burrow and winning the Heisman.

But he was also a good player as a freshman at AZ St.  Program instability plus the craziness of the Pac-12 during the Covid season kept him from realizing his potential earlier, plus he was also physically underdeveloped in a way Penix and Nix weren't.  But the poise and vision and accuracy were all there with him from early on with him.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

It’s time. The idea of building a championship caliber team around Sam Howell is just such a long shot. If you do everything right, then maybe in two years you have a good enough roster around him, just in time for him to need to get paid or worse yet walk away. Time for a first round QB, with five years of a friendly contract to build around him, and the upside to give us a ten year run of being a contender if we get lucky and hit. I know a lot of you are going to hate this idea, but I would offer the Bears their second round pick back, and next year’s first, to move up for Williams. If people can’t stomach that, then just draft Daniels.

I actually think there is a strong possibility we look to move up in the draft now. I don’t personally have a view on the draft QBs, but if priority #1 is deemed QB by the new FO, and they believe in one of the top 2 QB prospects, you likely have to take that swing. 

Doing anything else is literally pissing in the wind. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Cardinals remaining schedule: Bears, Eagles, Seahawks. Gotta hope they can win one of these, with the best shot being this week.

The Bears game is winnable, and the Seachickens is a division game in the final week, so anything can happen. 

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pretty much.  And really, I’d think the additional 2nd and 3rd probably come fairly close to grading out to a late 1st…?