Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

23 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think it was a little bit pessimistic.  Jamin Davis is a starting caliber LB.  Not a good one, but starting caliber.   Like Forbes he was a bit of a trainwreck as a rookie, but in year 3, both the beat reporters who watch the tape and PFF say he is a starter level player (PFF Grade 67).  I think Curl who is a free agent is a good S.  I am a bit higher on the O-Line.  Though I do agree we are not a contender next year.

I feel like Davis could blossom into a real good player when paired with an aggressive DC. Let him be used as an attacking WSLB.

Look at Sweat since he left Del Rio. He's looked like a Myles Garrett type player. Del Rio just ruined so many guys its hard to truly evaluate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I feel like Davis could blossom into a real good player when paired with an aggressive DC. Let him be used as an attacking WSLB.

Look at Sweat since he left Del Rio. He's looked like a Myles Garrett type player. Del Rio just ruined so many guys its hard to truly evaluate.

I always wondered how Davis would look if we use him how the Cowboys use Parsons. I wanted us to draft Parsons but part of me see this staff using him the same way they use Davis and have him read and reacting and covering wide recievers lol.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

I always wondered how Davis would look if we use him how the Cowboys use Parsons. I wanted us to draft Parsons

Cowboys coaches and execs hate Parsons. He’s apparently a giant pain in the ass and they would get rid of him if they could but he’s too good at football.

edit: I’m not arguing with what you said. I just had that information for a while and nowhere to post it until now.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Thanks 1

Count me pessimistic if we draft Jayden Daniels.

I just can't get the ASU tape out of my mind. He definitely had a great season this year but I worry about his durability and accuracy. I also think his numbers are a bit inflated from stat padding in several games vs weak competition. 

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Cowboys coaches and execs hate Parsons. He’s apparently a giant pain in the ass and they would get rid of him if they could but he’s too good at football.

edit: I’m not arguing with what you said. I just had that information for a while and nowhere to post it until now.

He wants to be an Eagle, because it's home and he likes Hurts and not Dak.

14 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He wants to be an Eagle, because it's home and he likes Hurts and not Dak.

These comments bring me back to all of the arguments in the 2021 draft thread about Parsons in Washington. There were a number of us that were against the idea, not because of his on field play but off field actions. There were always some red flags with this guy. This will be an interesting watch over the winter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

These comments bring me back to all of the arguments in the 2021 draft thread about Parsons in Washington. There were a number of us that were against the idea, not because of his on field play but off field actions. There were always some red flags with this guy. This will be an interesting watch over the winter 

I had some concerns about Parson's until I watched him on the Hey Rookie show on ESPN.  I mentioned it at the time on the thread that Parsons comes off Alpa is a good way, competitive as heck, wanted to be the best -- best bowler, fastest runner, it was nonstop.  The other players on that show seemed to look up to him.  He was the top Alpha of that Alpha room by mile.  I ranked him as my top LB when we did our lists that year -- highlighted specifically his pass rushing prowesss but I never imagined he'd be this level good. 

I recall some high fiving posts by some regulars here on a preseason game where Parson's struggled -- with them saying we dodged a bullet.  I recall saying on that thread, I wouldn't celebrate so soon. :ols:

Ron seems to prefer quiet guys.  Forgetting which beat guy said this but one of them said recently being around football, what he thought this team lacked is real Alpha boisterous leaders.  Part of what he felt this team lacked are real leaders.  And he mentioned that to an ex-player (might have been London but I don't recall) and he agreed.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

14 hours ago, illone said:

I just can't get the ASU tape out of my mind. He definitely had a great season this year but I worry about his durability and accuracy. I also think his numbers are a bit inflated from stat padding in several games vs weak competition. 

I actually watched some of his ASU games last year.  I don't recall having deep thoughts aside from wow he's a great runner, very skinny, not a bad passer but nothing special.

But as the narrative has been, he's worked on himself this off season, putting on muscle and worked on his game and made big strides.  Can he keep going?  Will see.

He was fairly consistent last year from game to game.   The QBR ratings from game to game are sick.

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 7.47.16 AM.png

• Like 1

Watching some Rickey Pearsall.  WR from Florida. After hearing Kiper hype him.  Just watched two games, he's OK.  Nothing really grabbed me about him.  Slot WR.  Good-not great hands.  He can run but isn't the most dynamic player and doesn't look uber fast.   In the NFL, he doesn't strike me as a dude who will be anything special

He has the physique of Ladd McConkey.  He strikes me though as the poor man's version of him.  McConkey comes off to me more dynamic and more of a baller IMO.

I watched some more Ja'tavion Sanders.  He's growing on me.  I think he's leapfropgged Stover for me as TE 2.  Purely because of speed.  My guess is Sanders runs around 4.5.  Stover I'd bet is around 4.68 or so.  Will see.  I like Stovers all around game better.  But Sanders is so dynamic with the ball in his hands.  I don't love either.  But I like both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, illone said:

He made the same leap Burrow did in his second year in the offense and his accuracy improved greatly and he learned to trust his receivers. He lit up every team he faced. The one team to limit him was in the second half vs FSU in the first game of the season. He faced better competition than any of the other QBs that are eligible to be drafted this year. Check out Caleb’s stats against “real” competition. He was garbage. JD5 was lighting Bama up like a Christmas tree before Saban ordered the hit on him with Dallas Turner to knock him out of the game. 

He is going to be a better Lamar Jackson, bookmark this post. They have the same frame coming out of college. He just needs to put on a few lbs. 

On 12/20/2023 at 5:55 AM, Rex Tomb said:

I’m wary of a guy, in Daniel’s, that performed at an elite level for only one season.  Yes he was a four year starter, but to be considered a day 3 pick going into the season and then winning the Heisman is a red flag for me.  

Hmm that sounds a lot like one of the best QBs in the league…Joe Burrow. And Daniels had flashes of elite play last year, he just put it all together this season. 

Edited by BayouBrave86

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

He cannot block though but he can certainly move. Seems like he'd be a better WR than TE.

He's mediocre as a blocker, some actually tout him for it oddly, I'd say he's below average but not awful.  He's willing.

But don't get me wrong I get the vibe that some here are borderline excited about this TE class.  To me its just average.  Looks bad compared to last year.  But there have been worse years, too.   So I'd rank it average.   It reminds me some of the 2020 draft where you talk yourself into guys like Asiasi and Deguara who looked good in college but were not per exciting pro propsects

A guy like Sanders would have been TE 6 or 7 for me in the last draft.  Bowers IMO is a stud.  Borderline can't miss.

Stover to me is a good college TE while being nothing exciting -- many of those guys end up "meh" in the pros.  But I do think he's likely a solid #2 TE type.  I'd be surpirsed if he's a featured one in the pros but could see him as a solid #2. 

Nesbitt as a late round flier intrigues me.  As to the Sinnott love here.  Maybe.  I want to see how he runs first.   I still have a lot more TEs to watch.  I've gotten derailed by watching QBs. :ols:. QBs take much longer for me to watch to digest and form an opinion on than other spots. 

If I had to pick a mid round favorite right now it might be Jared Wiley, 6'7, 255.   I watched two games.

The dude has long legs, good long speed, can do YAC -- they throw screens to him.  Good body control -- made some nice catches albiet he's a bit of a body catcher.  They didn't use him in line much.  They used him more as an F-slot type of TE.  But he certainly has the size to block, he looked OK at it both in pass blocking and run blocking. 

He had 520 yards. 8 TDs.  11 YPC and did so with bad QB play.  Yet no one seems to be talking about him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd love Daniels if he were 20-21. Him already being 23 is a big turn off for me.

I do love that Fashanu and Alt are only 20 right now and will be 21 as rookies, if we decide to go the LT route.

Is there any top QB in this class who is 20-21?    Drake is the youngest.  21 but turning 22 in the summer.

Caleb is 22 and turning 23 during the season

Daniels just turned 23 and will turn 24 late in the season next year

Nix will turn 24 in February

Penix will turn 24 before the season

Kiper ironically talked about this on his last podcast about how some teams see the age issue as an advantage not a disadvantage citing Burrow, etc.  That experience helps.  He talked about how Parcells preferred college QBs with many starts under their belt.   And many QBs these days played well into their late 30s.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Is there any top QB in this class who is 20-21?    Drake is the youngest.  21 but turning 22 in the summer.

Caleb is 22 and turning 23 during the season

Daniels just turned 23 and will turn 24 late in the season next year

Nix will turn 24 in February

Penix will turn 24 before the season

Kiper ironically talked about this on his last podcast about how some teams see the age issue as an advantage not a disadvantage citing Burrow, etc.  That experience helps.  He talked about how Parcells preferred college QBs with many starts under their belt.   And many QBs these days played well into their late 30s.

That made sense when QBs made huge money and you preferred more established guys. But with the rookie contract you want a good 5 year window maximizing the guy's prime as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That made sense when QBs made huge money and you preferred more established guys. But with the rookie contract you want a good 5 year window maximizing the guy's prime as much as possible.

Yeah but these guys aren't running backs when their prime is 21-26.  Prime period for QBs typically is somewhat long -- 27-33 range.

I haven't heard of 23 being too old for this spot.  I get it if he was 24 now going on 25 like Hooker was and coming off an injury.  

I recall the narrative around Kirk and don't recall anything about him being too old.  He was older than Daniels.  So was Burrow.  So is Nix and Penix in this draft.

It's not like there is a Hendon Hooker narrative around Daniels.  

With a tear-it-down-to-the-studs rebuild looming, do we really want to draft a QB in the Top 3 and put them into a situation like Bryce Young? Maybe we'll be better positioned then that, but curious nonetheless. Wonder how a future FO would approach the off-season knowing we are doing a tear-down.

Is it a re-build they're confident they can do in 1-2 years, thus making the 1st round QB make sense. Or is it more a 2-3 year project, in which case delaying the QB for a year or two could make sense to ensure the team is in a good place to compete at the start of the 5-year rookie window. And is Sam seen as having enough potential to possibly be a stopgap / Plan A in that scenario while you build the team around him / future QB.