Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Finished up with LB's. IMO Payton Wilson is the best LB in this draft. He can do it all well. Incredible range and speed. Great tackler, great in coverage and a Good blitzer and has that nasty streak you are looking for. He really is the total package. His injury history is obviously a major red flag. And some teams wont even have him on their boards because of it. But someone is going to get one hell of a football player when they draft him.

I'm a big fan of Payton Wilson even though he is 26. He won the Butkus and Chuck Bednarik Awards AND is a Unanimous All-American.  Guy has a strong motor and it is set to hyper. 

I posted this before, but as I looked at some more games of the NC State defense, I would like for him to be the LB selected by Washington.  

He hasn't decided yet, if he is going to play in the Pop Tarts Bowl vs Kansas State on Thursday, Dec 28.

:229:The Rook

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Conn said:

Have not at all seen Ogden-type comps for Fashanu, as intriguing as he is. Feels more like an option around 7-8 if we trade down rather than a top-5 talent at OT. May seem like a small distinction but when you’re comparing to generational (yes, I used the trigger word) talents like Harrison Jr. and Bowers, it matters imo. 

I know, it's just the "vibe" bro. His feet movement is pure silk.

Trading down would seem like a wise choice, but Fashanu won't make it past #5. He's that good.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I really think Kinchens is a top 15-20 player in this class. It’ll be interesting to see wheee he’s drafted as a safety.

I like him as well. But I think he is more a Strong than Free. I have seen some people projecting him to Corner. And I dont see that at all. 

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like him as well. But I think he is more a Strong than Free. I have seen some people projecting him to Corner. And I dont see that at all. 

He is absolutely not a corner. He’s the best safety in this class. :ols:

• Like 2

After the last several weeks it's obvious that QB is back in play with our first pick.  If we are picking at 3 or 4 and Maye and Daniels fall to us then who's the better option if the draft were today??? I love Daniels,  but his small frame screams RG3 to me. I haven't watched much of Maye to really have a opinion on him but just going off what I hear from others that he would be my choice over Daniels.  

58 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

After the last several weeks it's obvious that QB is back in play with our first pick.  If we are picking at 3 or 4 and Maye and Daniels fall to us then who's the better option if the draft were today??? I love Daniels,  but his small frame screams RG3 to me. I haven't watched much of Maye to really have a opinion on him but just going off what I hear from others that he would be my choice over Daniels.  

Maye is the safer bet but if Daniels can be Lamar Jackson 2.0…..

• Like 2

Just now, Dark Acre said:

Marvin Harrison Jr. on a 5-year rookie contract or no Marvin Harrison Jr. on a 5-year rookie contract?  If he drops to where we pick, that is the first question you ask.

If we dont go QB and he’s available at our pick Id snatch him up in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Maye is better than Daniels.  He has better instincts and field vision and he did more with less.  He also has a way better NFL body and better arm talent.

The concern I have with Daniels, beyond the lack of strength and bulk, is that I don't think his field vision is elite and I think he needs to get more decisive as a passer.  Just takes too long to throw and progress through reads.  Wasn't an issue for him this season because he had the benefit of great protection and elite receiver play.  LSU's #3 receiver this year was far better than any one on UNC, and Maye's protection was ****.  He is just better and more practiced at reading under pressure and anticipating his throws than Daniels.  He's got a clear NFL caliber pocket passing game whereas Daniels standing still in the pocket for five seconds and uncorking a deep post to Nabers 35 yards down field is not going to be a staple of his game at the next level.  These explosive plays where he hangs on his first read forever with a completely clean pocket just won't be there in the NFL.

But Daniels is a way better runner than Maye (who is a fantastic runner).  It's a legit Lamar Jackson caliber weapon for Daniels.  He's creative and super quick and those scrambles out to the edges are going to translate to the NFL.  He's also a really accurate thrower, especially to the deep field.  He's a worthy top five pick, and an offense that incorporates his running ability could be super high powered.

Right now, I'm leaning toward this top 20 big board:

1 - Williams

2 - Maye

3 - Harrison Jr

4 - Bowers

5 - Daniels

6 - Nabers

7 - Verse

8 - Turner

9 - Robinson

10 - Odunze

11 - Fashanu

12 - Fuaga

13 - Latu

14 - Corum

15 - Latham

16 - DeJean

17 - Benson

18 - Nix

19 - Leggette

20 - Alt

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Chicago is going to get Caleb Williams and Malik Nabers.  They could be a contender next year.

Maybe.  They may be doing things w/o Ian Cunningham too.  Very possible.  Keep an eye out for him as our next GM.  Serious Rumor. 

Chicago is going to get Caleb Williams and Malik Nabers.  They could be a contender next year.

Chicago will probably go edge with their second pick. But yeah. I agree they are going to be a dangerous team going forward.

55 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Maye is better than Daniels.  He has better instincts and field vision and he did more with less.  He also has a way better NFL body and better arm talent.

The concern I have with Daniels, beyond the lack of strength and bulk, is that I don't think his field vision is elite and I think he needs to get more decisive as a passer.  Just takes too long to throw and progress through reads.  Wasn't an issue for him this season because he had the benefit of great protection and elite receiver play.  LSU's #3 receiver this year was far better than any one on UNC, and Maye's protection was ****.  He is just better and more practiced at reading under pressure and anticipating his throws than Daniels.  He's got a clear NFL caliber pocket passing game whereas Daniels standing still in the pocket for five seconds and uncorking a deep post to Nabers 35 yards down field is not going to be a staple of his game at the next level.  These explosive plays where he hangs on his first read forever with a completely clean pocket just won't be there in the NFL.

But Daniels is a way better runner than Maye (who is a fantastic runner).  It's a legit Lamar Jackson caliber weapon for Daniels.  He's creative and super quick and those scrambles out to the edges are going to translate to the NFL.  He's also a really accurate thrower, especially to the deep field.  He's a worthy top five pick, and an offense that incorporates his running ability could be super high powered.

Right now, I'm leaning toward this top 20 big board:

1 - Williams

2 - Maye

3 - Harrison Jr

4 - Bowers

5 - Daniels

6 - Nabers

7 - Verse

8 - Turner

9 - Robinson

10 - Odunze

11 - Fashanu

12 - Fuaga

13 - Latu

14 - Corum

15 - Latham

16 - DeJean

17 - Benson

18 - Nix

19 - Leggette

20 - Alt

I dont even have daniels as a blue chipper. Not saying he couldnt become one. But he isnt one right now. 

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The big advantage Maye has is his youth. He'll only be 22 his rookie year(turns 22 next August). Drafting him really maximizes his prime window.

Man if we can somehow get the #2 pick...

Or see if we can trade into that spot.  That's well worth looking into for a new GM IF he deems Maye worth the move-up price.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind trading up to guarantee picking Maye as long as our new GM and scouts feel like he can be our blue chip QB for the foreseeable future.  I just hate the idea of trading away assets for him,  especially as depleted as we are everywhere else on this roster.  Obviously we are a ways out from that but I'd be curious about what the price tag would be to move up a spot or two.  I'm guilty of being excited at the time of our wins over the Broncos and Falcons,  mainly because Howell looked pretty good at the time. I would have never guessed just a few short weeks ago we'd be talking about drafting a QB at this point of the season.  Just goes to show how fast things change in this league. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

Does anyone see Latu dropping to the 2nd given the medical retirement he had to take for his neck? Despite the talent, I can’t see anyone taking him top 10 because of it. I think he is going late first most likely

Yeah medical could drop him a full round. That one of the biggest unknown with any of these prospects.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 hour ago, method man said:

Does anyone see Latu dropping to the 2nd given the medical retirement he had to take for his neck? Despite the talent, I can’t see anyone taking him top 10 because of it. I think he is going late first most likely

It could.  But it didn't drop Jaelan Phillips out of the first.  I think Latu will go top 20.  There is an elite talent cliff after the top eight IMO, and Latu is comfortably on that second plateau.

I am torn between Jayden Daniels and Maye.  I have to dive deeper.  Daniels is clearly more of a project.  Throws a nice deep ball.  I like his throws in the flat too.  He's a bit erratic with out routes and 2nd level throws.  But his mobility is special.    And supposedly he has high intangibles.

Drake Maye is a the prototype size and profile for the modern day QB.  Arm strength.  Mobility.  Great accuracy in between the numbers and can make some wicked throws.  2nd level accuracy and throws a good deep ball.  But his accuracy from what I watched is erratic on out routes and on the first level.  While he has a strong arm, his throws come off a bit flat -- needing more air.  He can be a bit clunky escaping pressure in the pocket but he can run and is more than willing to use his legs.

I take college QB stats with a grain of salt, ditto PFF's grades.  But they can be interesting too, for those interested.  I am surprised PFF doesn't take more of a bow on Purdy.  They were higher on Purdy than most. 

Screen Shot 2023-12-25 at 12.36.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-25 at 12.37.09 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am torn between Jayden Daniels and Maye.  I have to dive deeper.  Daniels is clearly more of a project.  Throws a nice deep ball.  I like his throws in the flat too.  He's a bit erratic with out routes and 2nd level throws.  But his mobility is special.    And supposedly he has high intangibles.

Drake Maye is a the prototype size and profile for the modern day QB.  Arm strength.  Mobility.  Great accuracy in between the numbers and can make some wicked throws.  2nd level accuracy and throws a good deep ball.  But his accuracy from what I watched is erratic on out routes and on the first level.  While he has a strong arm, his throws come off a bit flat -- needing air.  He can be a bit clunky escaping pressure in the pocket but he can run and is more than willing to use his legs.

I take college QB stats with a grain of salt, ditto PFF's grades.  But they can be interesting too, for those interested.  I am surprised PFF doesn't take more of a bow on Purdy.  They were higher on Purdy than most. 

Screen Shot 2023-12-25 at 12.27.05 PM.png

You may have answered your own question. Daniels is the bigger project despite being 2 years older and a ton more starts later. A very important point here is that Maye processes faster than Daniels

It could.  But it didn't drop Jaelan Phillips out of the first.  I think Latu will go top 20.  There is an elite talent cliff after the top eight IMO, and Latu is comfortably on that second plateau.

You’re probably right. You get a ton more heat as a GM if something goes south with him on the health front with a top 10 pick vs #19 or #20. The GMs at #19 and #20 are playoff GMs anyway and have more buffer to take risk

• Like 2