Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's mediocre as a blocker, some actually tout him for it oddly, I'd say he's below average but not awful.  He's willing.

But don't get me wrong I get the vibe that some here are borderline excited about this TE class.  To me its just average.  Looks bad compared to last year.  But there have been worse years, too.   So I'd rank it average.   It reminds me some of the 2020 draft where you talk yourself into guys like Asiasi and Deguara who looked good in college but were not per exciting pro propsects

A guy like Sanders would have been TE 6 or 7 for me in the last draft.  Bowers IMO is a stud.  Borderline can't miss.

Stover to me is a good college TE while being nothing exciting -- many of those guys end up "meh" in the pros.  But I do think he's likely a solid #2 TE type.  I'd be surpirsed if he's a featured one in the pros but could see him as a solid #2. 

Nesbitt as a late round flier intrigues me.  As to the Sinnott love here.  Maybe.  I want to see how he runs first.   I still have a lot more TEs to watch.  I've gotten derailed by watching QBs. :ols:. QBs take much longer for me to watch to digest and form an opinion on than other spots. 

If I had to pick a mid round favorite right now it might be Jared Wiley, 6'7, 255.   I watched two games.

The dude has long legs, good long speed, can do YAC -- they throw screens to him.  Good body control -- made some nice catches albiet he's a bit of a body catcher.  They didn't use him in line much.  They used him more as an F-slot type of TE.  But he certainly has the size to block, he looked OK at it both in pass blocking and run blocking. 

He had 520 yards. 8 TDs.  11 YPC and did so with bad QB play.  Yet no one seems to be talking about him.

Your 2020 TE class comparison isn't bad, Asiasi did look decent due to how crap the class was.

I think this TE class is poor below the obvious Bowers. 

Regarding Stover, so far I see him as the best do it all TE in the class.

My gut is you are selling him a little short in the speed department, not that he is a burner but decent. 

All that ticks me off more that we didn't draft a TE last year. 

I see Stover and the rest starting to fit into the late 2nd or 3rd rounds so ranking around 7th  instead of 2nd. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

With a tear-it-down-to-the-studs rebuild looming, do we really want to draft a QB in the Top 3 and put them into a situation like Bryce Young? Maybe we'll be better positioned then that, but curious nonetheless. Wonder how a future FO would approach the off-season knowing we are doing a tear-down.

Is it a re-build they're confident they can do in 1-2 years, thus making the 1st round QB make sense. Or is it more a 2-3 year project, in which case delaying the QB for a year or two could make sense to ensure the team is in a good place to compete at the start of the 5-year rookie window. And is Sam seen as having enough potential to possibly be a stopgap / Plan A in that scenario while you build the team around him / future QB.

I keep coming back to this being the reason not to go QB. Our OL is really, really bad. 

Do we want to ruin a prospect before they get a chance? but then I have to be open minded, too. If we draft a QB and get some line pieces, would time together promote a stronger team long term? I’m not sure. It’s so early.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I keep coming back to this being the reason not to go QB. Our OL is really, really bad. 

Do we want to ruin a prospect before they get a chance? but then I have to be open minded, too. If we draft a QB and get some line pieces, would time together promote a stronger team long term? I’m not sure. It’s so early.

Yep. It sucks that we are having to have this conversation with 3 games left to play. We don't know who our FO is going to be, who the HC is going to be, what PICK we'll have ... all 3 of these being critical components for how the off-season will unfold. Not to mention who we will re-sign, target in free agency, bring in during the draft process to scout, all the usual things that unfold that make it a bit more predictable as we approach the draft.

But it is fun to play mock GM and try to figure out the art of the possible. As the season draws to a close, we may be able to put the pieces together a bit more, but it's going to be a LONG 5 months.

I just hope we end up with the #2 pick. So much more potential and so many different direction we can go from that spot versus #4 or #5.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Your 2020 TE class comparison isn't bad, Asiasi did look decent due to how crap the class was.

I think this TE class is poor below the obvious Bowers. 

Regarding Stover, so far I see him as the best do it all TE in the class.

My gut is you are selling him a little short in the speed department, not that he is a burner but decent. 

All that ticks me off more that we didn't draft a TE last year. 

I see Stover and the rest starting to fit into the late 2nd or 3rd rounds so ranking around 7th  instead of 2nd. 

Will find out but I don't think Stover is fast.  Somewhere in the mid 4.6's I'd guess but will see.  Sanders to me looks fast for a TE. 

I think he's a decent blocker, nothing great, he's not like Michael Mayer on that front, he's more like Laporta which is good enough but nothing special.  I just looked up his PFF blocking grade and i find them usually reliable for grading TE blocking -- gave him a 56 which is below average.  I wouldn't go that far myself I'd say slighly above average.

Heck I have him as my third TE right now.  That's about as high as I've seen any mock draft guy have him.  So I think I am high enough on him.  Saying he has a high floor and I think he's a solid #2 TE in the league, feels right to me right now.  I don't look at Stover and see wow that guy screams NFL star.

Granted you never know.  But that's my take right now.  But am pretty early in my TE takes.   Stover stats are almost identical ironically to Jared Wiley who I just highlighted.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

With a tear-it-down-to-the-studs rebuild looming, do we really want to draft a QB in the Top 3 and put them into a situation like Bryce Young? Maybe we'll be better positioned then that, but curious nonetheless. Wonder how a future FO would approach the off-season knowing we are doing a tear-down.

Is it a re-build they're confident they can do in 1-2 years, thus making the 1st round QB make sense. Or is it more a 2-3 year project, in which case delaying the QB for a year or two could make sense to ensure the team is in a good place to compete at the start of the 5-year rookie window. And is Sam seen as having enough potential to possibly be a stopgap / Plan A in that scenario while you build the team around him / future QB.

I get the point but to me it would feel very deja vu.  Eerie deja vu.  It will feel a lot like Ron Rivera round 2.  Lets slow play this.  See what we got with our young QB.  Pass over a QB when we are picking high where we can do it without trading up but pass on the opportunity.  Then later on we aren't picking high so we'd have to overpay to trade up (they considered for Fields) or for a veteran (Wilson, Stafford and in the end Wentz)

I don't get why our whole off season rides with that first round pick?  

If our new GM goes old school Washington and passes on a QB with a new regime after all the other regimes did the same and blew up in their face -- they better be right, otherwise I'd want that GM fired the next year.

It's a big decision.  So if he goes contrarian and does the opposite of what most teams would do in that situation, then he better nail it.

I am not out on Howell.  Will see what he can do in the last 3 games.  But I've been consistent on this point for months even while defending Howell on that thread -- am taking a QB if I am drafting early everything being equal.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The stud among the TE group or stud in general?  If in general is he too you in the Laporta, Kincaid caliber player?

For me Stover isn't the notched below them and Mayer. They were studs. I see Stover as a solid all around starter, he can do it all but is not explosive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

What are the thoughts on Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas TE? He seems to be the next TE off the board after Bowers around R2 in a lot of mocks.

That's part of the conversation today, i highlighted that Sanders has passed Stover for me on my list. 

IMO he's a flawed prospect.  But he's the best YAC TE aside from Bowers among the ones I've watched.  And he looks fast to me for a TE.  So brings an explosive element that looks rare to me in this class.

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

For me Stover isn't the notched below them and Mayer. They were studs. I see Stover as a solid all around starter, he can do it all but is not explosive.

That's where I am at.  Solid across the board.  It's rare for me to see a TE as high floor.  But I think he's high floor.  But I don't see a high ceiling either.  I think I compared him weeks back to a smaller and more spry Kyle Rudolph as to the type of production I think you'd get out of him.   

Sanders for example feels more boom-bust.  I think he has a higher ceiling than Stover but also the lower floor.  But I am in the mood for speed this off season and taking some chances so I'd lean Sanders right now.  Weeks back I leaned Stover.

• Thumb up 1

*If I were the Bears GM, I'd be hard pressed to pass on Marvin Harrison Jr. for Caleb. Personally, I think I'd go Marvin - DJ Moore, Marvin Harrison Jr. & Cole Kmet could be ridiculous and I also like their other WR Tyler Scott who could make some noise in 2024.

Alrighty then, 

Top cough 17 😕 QB's

1. Caleb Williams USC *As advertised, diva factor is a concern, but the dude can ball
  2. Drake Maye UNC *Begrudgingly something about his style of play I do not care for, but at the end of the day, there’s little doubt he possesses an arm that has the potential to be a difference maker at the next level
  3. Bo Nix *Underrated IMO and although this won’t be popular amongst many on this forum, Bo would be my pick for the Commanders
  4. Jayden Daniels LSU
  5. Quinn Ewers Texas *Underrated to my eyes
  6. JJ McCarthy Michigan
  7. Michael Penix Jr. *Real concerned about turnovers at the next level but does have traits teams will obviously find appealing
  8. Michael Pratt Tulane
  9. Joe Milton Tennessee *Raw but obviously very desirable traits you cannot teach
  10. Spencer Rattler South Carolina
  11. Jordan Travis Florida State *Underrated to me eyes
  12. Jaxson Dart Ole Miss
  13. Austin Reed Western Kentucky
  14. Collin Schlee UCLA *Phenomenal athlete seems underrated to my eyes big time
  15. Brennan Armstrong NC State
  16. Phil Jurkovec Pitt
  17. Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's where I am at.  Solid across the board.  It's rare for me to see a TE as high floor.  But I think he's high floor.  But I don't see a high ceiling either.  I think I compared him weeks back to a smaller and more spry Kyle Rudolph as to the type of production I think you'd get out of him.   

Yeah that's pretty fair, I really liked Rudolph. Stover is a better blocker than him. Depending on his workout times I see him being ranked as a top of the 3rd talent and will be drafted in the mid to bottom of the 2nd. I think Kyle went mid 2nd too.

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah that's pretty fair, I really liked Rudolph. Stover is a better blocker than him. Depending on his workout times I see him being ranked as a top of the 3rd talent and will be drafted in the mid to bottom of the 2nd. I think Kyle went mid 2nd too.

Better blocker.  Though I am not really blown away by Stover as a blocker.  He's an active blocker, he finds his assignment but he's not the most physical blocker in the games I've watched.  That's why i compare him to Laporta on that front.  Laporta IMO was solid to slightly above average as a blocker IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The stud among the TE group or stud in general?  If in general is he too you in the Laporta, Kincaid caliber player?

This group. Though I think people forget Stover is what he is at this point having just converted form LB to TE and has a lot of developmental potential.

Id have him below LaPorta. I wasn’t that high on Kincaid as a true Y, but liked him

as a receiver so tough comparison.

I think he may wind up being better than Mayer, but isn’t there atm.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

This group. Though I think people forget Stover is what he is at this point having just converted form LB to TE and has a lot of developmental potential.

Id have him below LaPorta. I wasn’t that high on Kincaid as a true Y, but liked him

as a receiver so tough comparison.

I think he may wind up being better than Mayer, but isn’t there atm.

For me I got to see how he runs.  Just looking a little while ago I saw it mentioned that he ran a 4.65 when he was a 225 pound LB but I can't tell if that's a guess or timed run.

I am solid in the tank in liking him but I have a hard time loving the player.  But he's to my eyes a rare high floor TE.

Maybe its a faze for me but I am hungry for speed and explosive plays and Sanders grabs me a hair over him right now.

Sinnott I am still digesting but he'd be probably just a little behind albiet i like his blocking better.  But I am going to take more time to decide.

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

*If I were the Bears GM, I'd be hard pressed to pass on Marvin Harrison Jr. for Caleb. Personally, I think I'd go Marvin - DJ Moore, Marvin Harrison Jr. & Cole Kmet could be ridiculous and I also like their other WR Tyler Scott who could make some noise in 2024.

Alrighty then, 

Top cough 17 😕 QB's

1. Caleb Williams USC *As advertised, diva factor is a concern, but the dude can ball
  2. Drake Maye UNC *Begrudgingly something about his style of play I do not care for, but at the end of the day, there’s little doubt he possesses an arm that has the potential to be a difference maker at the next level
  3. Bo Nix *Underrated IMO and although this won’t be popular amongst many on this forum, Bo would be my pick for the Commanders
  4. Jayden Daniels LSU
  5. Quinn Ewers Texas *Underrated to my eyes
  6. JJ McCarthy Michigan
  7. Michael Penix Jr. *Real concerned about turnovers at the next level but does have traits teams will obviously find appealing
  8. Michael Pratt Tulane
  9. Joe Milton Tennessee *Raw but obviously very desirable traits you cannot teach
  10. Spencer Rattler South Carolina
  11. Jordan Travis Florida State *Underrated to me eyes
  12. Jaxson Dart Ole Miss
  13. Austin Reed Western Kentucky
  14. Collin Schlee UCLA *Phenomenal athlete seems underrated to my eyes big time
  15. Brennan Armstrong NC State
  16. Phil Jurkovec Pitt
  17. Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland

Wow is Taulia that low of a prospect?

17 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

Wow is Taulia that low of a prospect?

My opinion could evolve. In this case perhaps I relied too much on the various draft projections most have him as a Day 3 pick but some give him mid round consideration. I only watched a little bit as a result and he seemed to struggle with the intermediate and deep passes but perhaps I was too hasty in my ranking I admit. He's not hot garbage or anything just a lot of these guys after the top 8 are likely late round UFDA types. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

As every hour passes, I become more convinced this QB conversation is all moot.  Whether our new regime planned to draft one or not, we're going to **** it up by beating the Jets.  It'll be a Rivera goodbye kiss.

I'm considering putting some cash down on the Commodores (I don't really bet much) just to soften the blow a little when they screw up and win that one. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, Forehead said:

As every hour passes, I become more convinced this QB conversation is all moot.  Whether our new regime planned to draft one or not, we're going to **** it up by beating the Jets.  It'll be a Rivera goodbye kiss.

As hours passes?  Is that because Zach Wilson isn't playing?  This clearly is the code red game and has felt that way for a while.  Hopefully we get lucky.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As hours passes?  Is that because Zach Wilson isn't playing?  This clearly is the code red game and has felt that way for a while.  Hopefully we get lucky.

It just feels so very Washington to finally win a game when it makes no sense to do so.  I'm also desperately hoping that Dallas has something to play for week 17.

• Like 3