Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We would have effed up Branch anyway but he was definitely a guy I liked a lot.

Even if that was true, at least the next staff could fix him because he’s an NFL starting caliber player. I don’t know if anything can fix what’s wrong with Forbes. And if we take Branch, maybe we don’t take Quan in round 2 and instead draft another player who could be a real building block for the next staff.

Devastating domino effect imo 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

I'm not that impressed with the top OTs in this class.  Fashanu is this high cut athlete that doesn't have a lot of range or explosiveness, and his hands are also very much a work in progress.  He's the head and shoulders best tackle of the bunch, but he's not a Penei Sewell/Andrew Thomas caliber tackle prospect who is a palpable star.  He's not an ass-kicker who you get excited about from watching his film like it was with them.  He's just kind of good and quiet and holds his ground in pass pro and does decent work in the tackle box as a run blocker.  The blocking range and recovery speed are not exciting with Fashanu.

His film isn't even as dominant as Dawand Jones's was last year.

Same for Latham, but he's even slower and has less range than Fashanu.  He really is just a phone booth brawler with zero range.  Fashanu can at least run a little bit.

Alt is not even that good.  I think I'm going to have to make a bunch of gifs of him crow hopping right back into Sam Hartman's feet to demonstrate this.  He's the top ten mock draft guy that would truly piss me off to draft.

Malik Nabers, Brock Bowers, and Jared Verse are all palpable star players.  They take over games and you can not miss them and the impact they have if you watch their teams play.  They are the ones who scare opponents and get game-planned for and still torch their match ups.  They are the ones who are the safe bets to be stars in the NFL.

Picking Latham, Fashanu, or God forbid, Alt with our forthcoming high first round pick is the kind of move that this team has typically made in the past.  A reach for need in reaction to a problem with last year's roster.  Picks like that are one of the reasons this team doesn't do star players.  There are other reasons, namely this is a broke-ass franchise that is routinely in conflict with players over money issues.  But if you want to ever have star players, you need to start by drafting them.

• Like 4

Yeah I don't think any of the Ts are lockdown slam dunk franchise stud LT types. But there are some real good prospects that would absolutely help this football team. I just don't know if any of them are anywhere close to a Trent Williams or even Chris Samuels caliber.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't think any of the Ts are lockdown slam dunk franchise stud LT types. But there are some real good prospects that would absolutely help this football team. I just don't know if any of them are anywhere close to a Trent Williams or even Chris Samuels caliber.

I don't think there are any. Deep though. I'd rather take one of the Top 2 WR's (Harrison and Nabers) or trade down instead of picking an OT at #4. I kind of suspect all the OT rankings out now will get shuffled a bunch in the coming months.

It makes me nervous a bit, since our OL is such an issue, yet I'm not seeing a clear solution in the draft. I don't want to spend pick #4 on an OT when nobody seems foolproof...but our OL blows so...

P.S. The more I watch Fautanu (Washington LT) the more I want him on our team at whatever position we could fit him into. RT or LG? Fautanu has some clips where he's down blocking, and granted down blocks are naturally good leverage opportunities, but he's moving a DT way out of the run lane. I don't know how he'd anchor against them in pass pro, but his quick feet and ability to find leverage quickly make me think he'd develop into a really good Guard. But he also looks fine as a LT, his arms don't look short, so maybe he can play at RT? He seems to be projected in the late 1st/early 2nd range.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

But if you want to ever have star players, you need to start by drafting them.

I don't agree with some of the examples you gave as your point. 

But I 100% agree with your conclusion.   It's part of the reason that for me if Harrison is at their pick, its a no brainer for me.   And this is coming from someone who likes Fashanu more than you and Alt a lot more than you do.  Still, it would be a super easy decision for me. 

As far as Bowers, probably so too.  I waver some on it though mostly because of how often TEs get hurt.

As far as edge rushers, taking 5 D lineman with the first round pick in the last 8 years or so feels a bit painful to me no matter how good they are and especially considering its actually a good spot to find in recent years in FA.  But I'll eventually watch the edges.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know teams will say and imply stuff complimentary of their picks at the time, but weren't rumors based on front office tidbits and such that we wanted to trade up for Steve Avila (that failed), but then we tried to trade up for Quan Martin yet the price was too high and he fell to us anyways. Would have indicated we liked Martin more than Branch.

Now this comes out and puts those immediate post-draft rumors to bed. Would also indicate our front office did not draft with a BPA mindset whatsoever, they instead came in with clear need lists and just went with the next guy on that list. If they're still in charge in 2024, we would absolutely be taking an OT at #4 even if Marvin Harrison was available.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I know teams will say and imply stuff complimentary of their picks at the time, but weren't rumors based on front office tidbits and such that we wanted to trade up for Steve Avila (that failed), but then we tried to trade up for Quan Martin yet the price was too high and he fell to us anyways. Would have indicated we liked Martin more than Branch.

Now this comes out and puts those immediate post-draft rumors to bed. Would also indicate our front office did not draft with a BPA mindset whatsoever, they instead came in with clear need lists and just went with the next guy on that list. If they're still in charge in 2024, we would absolutely be taking an OT at #4 even if Marvin Harrison was available.

There were also rumors we wanted to trade up for Van Ness. I think Darnell Wright was also a target for us.

There were quite a few quality players available, yet we end up with a complete donk at 16. I think they were legit shellshocked that Gonzalez was available at 16 and simply didn't do their homework on him because they didn't think he'd fall and still ended up panicking and taking Forbes because "he got a lot of picks in college."

Man I don't know what is worse with this team: the coaches or the FO.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Keim said he heard Avila and then there was mention of another player they were looking at it, he was vague about it.  I posted on it at time.  Doesn't sound crazy to me that Branch was a player they were interested in.    I don't know Branch as to what kind of dude he is.  But it would be odd for him to lie about this team's interest in him -- its not as if Washington is some bragging point for a player. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim said he heard Avila and then there was mention of another player they were looking at it, he was vague about it.  I posted on it at time.  Doesn't sound crazy to me that Branch was a player they were interested in.    I don't know Branch as to what kind of dude he is.  But it would be odd for him to lie about this team's interest in him -- its not as if Washington is some bragging point for a player. 

I really wanted Branch. So we miss on Branch and then stay locked in on the position at grab a 3/4th rounder at the position, instead of JMS because we had Gates.

I can't wait to see these clowns fired.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There were also rumors we wanted to trade up for Van Ness. I think Darnell Wright was also a target for us.

There were quite a few quality players available, yet we end up with a complete donk at 16. I think they were legit shellshocked that Gonzalez was available at 16 and simply didn't do their homework on him because they didn't think he'd fall and still ended up panicking and taking Forbes because "he got a lot of picks in college."

Yeah it was pretty clear that Wright was their top want.  He went early.  Maybe Van Ness.  As foir the 2nd round, a bunch of rumors of who they liked -- Keim said in the 2nd they were zeroing in on a nickle-CB safety type and or O line.

It would fit if they liked Branch that they went with the next player who fit that profile when Branch was gone in Quan.  I liked Quan but I liked Branch even more.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really wanted Branch. So we miss on Branch and then stay locked in on the position at grab a 3/4th rounder at the position, instead of JMS because we had Gates.

I can't wait to see these clowns fired.

Yeah check out the long article i posted in the Fire Ron thread from Keim.  It's interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it was pretty clear that Wright was their top want.  He went early.  Maybe Van Ness.  As foir the 2nd round, a bunch of rumors of who they liked -- Keim said in the 2nd they were zeroing in on a nickle-CB safety type and or O line.

It would fit if they liked Branch that they went with the next player who fit that profile when Branch was gone in Quan.  I liked Quan but I liked Branch even more.

Yeah check out the long article i posted in the Fire Ron thread from Keim.  It's interesting. 

I just did and didn't want to put my sandwich down, so commented over here :ols:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The front office is definitely worse.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm not that impressed with the top OTs in this class.  Fashanu is this high cut athlete that doesn't have a lot of range or explosiveness, and his hands are also very much a work in progress.  He's the head and shoulders best tackle of the bunch, but he's not a Penei Sewell/Andrew Thomas caliber tackle prospect who is a palpable star.  He's not an ass-kicker who you get excited about from watching his film like it was with them.  He's just kind of good and quiet and holds his ground in pass pro and does decent work in the tackle box as a run blocker.  The blocking range and recovery speed are not exciting with Fashanu.

His film isn't even as dominant as Dawand Jones's was last year.

Same for Latham, but he's even slower and has less range than Fashanu.  He really is just a phone booth brawler with zero range.  Fashanu can at least run a little bit.

Alt is not even that good.  I think I'm going to have to make a bunch of gifs of him crow hopping right back into Sam Hartman's feet to demonstrate this.  He's the top ten mock draft guy that would truly piss me off to draft.

Malik Nabers, Brock Bowers, and Jared Verse are all palpable star players.  They take over games and you can not miss them and the impact they have if you watch their teams play.  They are the ones who scare opponents and get game-planned for and still torch their match ups.  They are the ones who are the safe bets to be stars in the NFL.

Picking Latham, Fashanu, or God forbid, Alt with our forthcoming high first round pick is the kind of move that this team has typically made in the past.  A reach for need in reaction to a problem with last year's roster.  Picks like that are one of the reasons this team doesn't do star players.  There are other reasons, namely this is a broke-ass franchise that is routinely in conflict with players over money issues.  But if you want to ever have star players, you need to start by drafting them.

Although my perspective is different, I appreciate your input. Which games for Alt made you feel this way? I'd like to look into it more. You're saying he struggles against bull rushers?

Your perspective of Fashanu is the first I've heard as well. I like it though, because it makes me go back and check the film in more detail. If there's any games you recommend for your analysis, I'll check them out.

The top 2 OTs have been unanimously heralded from what I've seen up until your post. From the film I've seen, theyre both excellent prospects and near sure locks to lockdown the LT spot for a decade. Maybe I've fallen into group thinking and missed something. 

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Fashanu COULD be. Thats the thing with him. You are betting on him growing over the next couple of years. Clearly I am pretty much in an island when it comes to Latham. I think the guy is a lockdown RT for the next decade. I dont see slow at all. He just looks slow because he is so huge. He is a better run blocker than Fashanu and Alt right now for sure. Alt, as I have said in previous posts has probably reached his peak right now. Which is a very good player. He isnt Williams for sure. And will never be IMO. But Fashanu could end up a better prospect.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

especially considering its actually a good spot to find in recent years in FA

Josh Allen is my top FA target if I am the new GM here. Henry has shown enough to earn more playing time next year. Add Allen and you can target an edge late in the draft as a developmental guy. 

• Like 1

I’m not a fan of using a high one on a tight end. I’m just not. I don’t care how good the tight end is, either. It just doesn’t make sense. The bust rate is weird for tight ends, the way they effect games is minimal aside from the best of the best… and the best of the best weren’t heralded as such coming out.

Kittle - 5th

Kelce - 3rd

LaPorta -2nd

McBride - 2nd

Engram - 23rd overall

Mark Andrews - 3rd

Jake Ferguson - 4th

Cole Kmet - 2nd

Kyle Pitts - Top 5

Evan Engram - Top 10

Dalton Kincaid - 23rd overall

Gesicki - 2nd

Goedert - 2nd 

Njoku - 29th overall

Hunter Henry - 2nd

I’m not saying you can find these guys just anywhere… you can’t. But the sweet spot looks like early 20s-3rd round. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Latham is a sure thing all pro. Unfortunately the analytics don't match taking RT in the top 10.  Latham is an absolute monster. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think Fashanu COULD be. Thats the thing with him. You are betting on him growing over the next couple of years. Clearly I am pretty much in an island when it comes to Latham. I think the guy is a lockdown RT for the next decade. I dont see slow at all. He just looks slow because he is so huge. He is a better run blocker than Fashanu and Alt right now for sure. Alt, as I have said in previous posts has probably reached his peak right now. Which is a very good player. He isnt Williams for sure. And will never be IMO. But Fashanu could end up a better prospect.

Josh Allen is my top FA target if I am the new GM here. Henry has shown enough to earn more playing time next year. Add Allen and you can target an edge late in the draft as a developmental guy. 

What if we went after Pitts from Atlanta? They wanted Sweat and missed out, would they trade Pitts for Allen or Payne? Would we do that? Maybe we get a pick back too? 

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

What if we went after Pitts from Atlanta? They wanted Sweat and missed out, would they trade Pitts for Allen or Payne? Would we do that? Maybe we get a pick back too? 

I’d absolutely love to have pitts.  Especially if it meant we didn’t have to spend a 1st rounder on bowers.  Atl is really wasting some top tier offensive talent on a horrible offensive scheme.  

pitts & Harrison, and a revamped ol would completely change the dynamic of our offense