Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Watching Beebe and Sinnott block is a lot of fun.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My dream scenario now is we trade down with someone who wants a QB and pick up a bunch of draft capital, including a future 1st, and then draft Bowers. Like somewhere around 9 ideally.

Stack up OL in the 2nd round.

Same with me. I'm hoping the Raiders or Saints can get to around 7 or 8 and want to leap the Giants for Daniels.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My dream scenario now is we trade down with someone who wants a QB and pick up a bunch of draft capital, including a future 1st, and then draft Bowers. Like somewhere around 9 ideally.

Lots of teams would like this scenario and for good reason. Also, I know many may not want to hear this but they may NOT be able to fill all the weak parts of the roster in one off-season. Never hurts to stack Offensive and defensive linemen. Ever.

Just now, Bantu said:

Lots of teams would like this scenario and for good reason. Also, I know many may not want to hear this but they may NOT be able to fill all the weak parts of the roster in one off-season. Never hurts to stack Offensive and defensive linemen. Ever.

I'm guessing we'll address OL to some extent in FA. There are some real good Gs that will be available and Connor Williams the Dolphins C might be the jewel of the OL class.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'm guessing we'll address OL to some extent in FA. There are some real good Gs that will be available and Connor Williams the Dolphins C might be the jewel of the OL class.

I worry about Williams coming from that offense. Unless we are pulling from their coaching staff. Tua get's the ball out so freaking fast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I worry about Williams coming from that offense. Unless we are pulling from their coaching staff. Tua get's the ball out so freaking fast.

Perhaps, but I do believe he has some good PFF grades and analytics/metrics rate him highly. 

But that's always an issue with FA. It can often be just as much a crapshoot as the draft because you never know how guys will fit in your system, how they'll play after getting a fat bag, etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Perhaps, but I do believe he has some good PFF grades and analytics/metrics rate him highly. 

But that's always an issue with FA. It can often be just as much a crapshoot as the draft because you never know how guys will fit in your system, how they'll play after getting a fat bag, etc.

There's a big disparity between PFF's OL grades and some other outfits like SIS or ESPN. PFF likes our OL while the other two hate it. PFF and SIS love the Miami OL while ESPN hates it.

image.png.e8d53c5069f5ffde09129ec36700e4d6.png

...aaaannd while I was typing this Miami just extended their RT Austin Jackson. So that's one potential guy for us off the market. Jonah Williams come on down?

25 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

There's a big disparity between PFF's OL grades and some other outfits like SIS or ESPN. PFF likes our OL while the other two hate it

According to that list ESPN has us as a higher on average O line than either PFF or SIS. Can't just go off the score, they all use diff grading scales.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Or maybe we get good picks for trading players like Allen, Mclaurin which gives us more flexibility.

• Like 1

Watch Latham (number 65) get to the second level here and destroy:

Latham 2nd level.gif

Stone wall with a nasty streak

stone wall.gif

Here he loses initially, recovers and mauls the pass rusher.

recover after losing.gif

His handoff to cover the out side blitz is smooth as butter here. Beautiful

Handoff to cover blitz.gif

Right tackle JC Latham sets early tone

Time: 14:55 remaining, first quarter

Down and distance: 1st and 10 at the Alabama 30.

The play: On the Crimson Tide's opening snap, Latham issues the block of the night on the Alabama offensive line with a pancake of Bulldogs linebacker J.P. Purvis. As Latham drives his man completely out of the play, RB Jase McClellan darts through the crease Latham leaves behind with an inside run, then bounces it outside for a 12-yard gain.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/videos/sports/college/football/2023/10/03/alabama-all-22-video-analysis-vs-mississippi-state/71047467007/

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

According to that list ESPN has us as a higher on average O line than either PFF or SIS. Can't just go off the score, they all use diff grading scales.

Oh hey, you're right! I had assumed the scoring was normalized for even spreads between 0-100, but nope, a 38 was average. I think this more so indicates ESPN thinks there are only a few great OL units, and that most of the league is suffering from poor OL play.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is why I love this thread. I would have never watched that guy. Now I have to. thanks. 

Trying to up my game for you guys. 

28 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I'd be furious if we went QB and drafted Daniels over Maye.

I'm open for anything this offseason to be honest. I'll trust our new regime to do the right thing.

Personally I'd like to stick with Howell, I was one of his earliest fans behind KDawg and I'm still a believer, but I'll trust the process. Finally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally watched Latham and Fuaga. Fuaga is now a draft crush, that guy looks like he's got a lot of tools that could develop into an elite RT. Latham however is a waller, and by that I mean he's someone who tries to rotate his feet so he's in between the defender and where the play is going, sinks his feet in, grabs onto the defenders pads for dear life, and makes sure neither of them move an inch. He walls off his guy from the play. Whether it be pass or run. He's not a drive blocker as he doesn't have the movement skills you want.

Latham kind of reminds me of Andre Smith, the old #6 overall pick for the Bengals. He wound up being their RT for awhile and topped out at above average once he wound up in a scheme that was good for him. Andre Smith never sniffed the pro-bowl, and struggled early in the wrong schemes for him, and I see that trajectory for Latham. He could be an above average player, if used right. He's not scheme diverse though.

I really like Fuaga.

P.S. Does Amarius Mims have injury issues? I see he didn't play much this season, and in the Alabama game he got pulled or hurt for another RT early on.

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Finally watched Latham and Fuaga. Fuaga is now a draft crush, that guy looks like he's got a lot of tools that could develop into an elite RT. Latham however is a waller, and by that I mean he's someone who tries to rotate his feet so he's in between the defender and where the play is going, sinks his feet in, grabs onto the defenders pads for dear life, and makes sure neither of them move an inch. He walls off his guy from the play. Whether it be pass or run. He's not a drive blocker as he doesn't have the movement skills you want.

Latham kind of reminds me of Andre Smith, the old #6 overall pick for the Bengals. He wound up being their RT for awhile and topped out at above average once he wound up in a scheme that was good for him. Andre Smith never sniffed the pro-bowl, and struggled early in the wrong schemes for him, and I see that trajectory for Latham. He could be an above average player, if used right. He's not scheme diverse though.

I really like Fuaga.

P.S. Does Amarius Mims have injury issues? I see he didn't play much this season, and in the Alabama game he got pulled or hurt for another RT early on.

Mims is always hurt. He's a day 3 pick for me, but huge upside.

I see Fuaga listed as a OG pretty often.

• Like 1