Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think Fashanu COULD be. Thats the thing with him. You are betting on him growing over the next couple of years. Clearly I am pretty much in an island when it comes to Latham. I think the guy is a lockdown RT for the next decade. I dont see slow at all. He just looks slow because he is so huge. He is a better run blocker than Fashanu and Alt right now for sure. Alt, as I have said in previous posts has probably reached his peak right now. Which is a very good player. He isnt Williams for sure. And will never be IMO. But Fashanu could end up a better prospect.

Josh Allen is my top FA target if I am the new GM here. Henry has shown enough to earn more playing time next year. Add Allen and you can target an edge late in the draft as a developmental guy. 

I mean, he could get more consistent in pass pro but I'm a little unsure about his run blocking ever being great. His change of direction issues and awkward body type are kind of limiting. He's not a super athlete. Good size, good length, good anchor, and a good shuffle to mirror where he always keeps a good base. But getting his feet moving to turn, plant, and quickly get under the DL for leverage to drive on targets in the run game seem a bit much to project for him as far as development. He probably tops out at great in pass-pro, but OK in the run game (he'd have to develop to hit that OK in the Pros)

I don't think Kyle Shanahan would like using him in their scheme. Look at how well the 35 year old Trent Williams still moves and how Shanahan uses him. Then go back and look at Fashanu. It's a big contrast. There's a ceiling on Fashanu's potential.

Next on my watch list for OL is Latham and Fuaga. Impression I get from comments here is that both are limited, but really good for things in their wheel house. Sound like good trade down and target candidates.

Absolutely brutal undertaking but what the heck:

Top 20 OT’s

1. Joe Alt Notre Dame (Clearly the best LT feet to my eyes in this class)
  2. Olu Fashano Penn State (Best anchoring OT to my eyes)
  3. Amarius Mims Georgia
  4. Taliese Fuaga Oregon State
  5. Jordan Morgan Arizona *Underrated IMO
  6. JC Latham Alabama
  7. Tyler Guyton Oklahoma *Underrated IMO
  8. Kingsley Suamataia BYU
  9. Jack Nelson Michigan *Underrated IMO
  10. Matt Gongalves Pitt *Underrated IMO
  11. Graham Barton Duke (Arm length is a concern held his own for the most part against Verse Florida State no dancing bear but effective)
  12. Zion Nelson Miami *Underrated IMO
  13. Blake Fisher Notre Dame *A bit overrated IMO 
  14. Rueben Fatheree Jr. Texas A&M *Vastly underrated IMO
  15. Jonah Monheim USC *Underrated IMO
  16. Julian Pearl Illinois *Underrated IMO
  17.  Patrick Paul Houston
  18. Javon Foster Missouri
  19. Walter Rouse Oklahoma
  20. Garrett Greenfield South Dakota State

*Potential risers more sure to come so many prospects:

OT: LaDarius Henderson, Michigan

West Virginia LT #74 Wyatt Milum

Gerald Mincey Tennessee

Ajani Cornelius Oregon

Caeden Wallace Penn State

Jeremy Flax Kentucky

Brandon Coleman TCU

Kiran Amegadjie Yale *Could be overrated IMO but excellent physical traits

Marcus Bryant SMU

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Although my perspective is different, I appreciate your input. Which games for Alt made you feel this way? I'd like to look into it more. You're saying he struggles against bull rushers?

Your perspective of Fashanu is the first I've heard as well. I like it though, because it makes me go back and check the film in more detail. If there's any games you recommend for your analysis, I'll check them out.

The top 2 OTs have been unanimously heralded from what I've seen up until your post. From the film I've seen, theyre both excellent prospects and near sure locks to lockdown the LT spot for a decade. Maybe I've fallen into group thinking and missed something. 

I watched Alt's cut ups vs Ohio State in '22 and '23 and vs Louisville '23.  Fashanu I've watched live against Maryland and Michigan and his cut ups against Ohio State and Illinois, all from '23.  I think Fashanu's film is fine, it's just not spectacular.  I don't think Alt's film is very good.  At least not from those games, and they were his best competition.  The biggest deficiencies in Alt's game to me are the length and power limitations.  He is really having to strain to get his hands on Tuimaloau whose just kind of working him with a long arm (and Tuimaloau isn't a long edge, he's a squatty 6'4), and he has a hell of a time trying to anchor against power.  He gives up so much depth on his sets that Hartman routinely has no room to his left at all.  Contrast that to the reps from Fashanu and Latham when you watch them, where their bucket step is like two feet back and they're catching and stoning guys a yard or two behind the line of scrimmage.  Alt's better in the run game than them because he's quick and can move block, but his pass pro is not first round caliber IMO, and I think he's going to get absolutely destroyed by NFL power rushing next year.  His film and make up reminds me a lot of Blake Freeland from last year, who I didn't like either.

Latham you have to grade on a curve because Bama is so run heavy, he's not NFL style pass setting, he's playing on the right, and rushers don't get to just tee off on him to the outside and test his speed because of the system he's in.  That's his weakness, and that's where you would see him getting whupped on reps.  So yeah his film looks really good, but a lot of that success isn't going to translate.  He's going to have to true pass set against rushers who know we're throwing.  That tiny little kick step on his set isn't going to translate against the TJ Watts and Nick Bosas and Micah Parsons.  Now also account for what you don't see him doing in that offense, which is running way out in front of plays as a move blocker in the run game.  He's a bulldozer in the phone booth, but he doesn't have any range.  The stretch/outside zone run is the most common run in the NFL offense by a country mile.  How good is Latham going to look on these against real speed?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

What if we went after Pitts from Atlanta? They wanted Sweat and missed out, would they trade Pitts for Allen or Payne? Would we do that? Maybe we get a pick back too? 

Haven't heard any indication that they want to trade him.  He's still young.  Sans Peterson, usually its the 2nd season, not the first coming off an ACL or MCL is when they regain form.

I will say based on the TEs I've watched there are no Mayer, Laporta, Musgrave in the 2nd round of this crop.  The crop feels a bit meh to me on first watch.  And FA for TE looks bad, too.

I am not with @KDawg on no Bowers.  But I am not on the other end of the argument either, Bowers isn't a must for me either.  Right now, i am agnostic on it.  I am not agnostic on the point though that if he's not our guy, we aren't finding our Kittle in the 5th round or whatever of this draft.  It feels like an uninspiring group on first watch.  Last year was that shot IMO.  So Thomas would be the guy again at TE.  I think the odds of us improving TE is pretty low.   Maybe Noah Fant can develop? 

https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/atlanta-falcons-te-kyle-pitts-has-best-days-ahead-despite-rough-patch

Falcons coach Arthur Smith is proud of how far Pitts has come and the manner in which he's handled the recovery from his knee injury.

"It’s a long journey," Smith said. "Talking about a guy that came into the league with incredible hype. Damn near broke every rookie record. Where Kyle is so encouraging is ... everybody is different and they’re going to do what’s best for them, but you appreciate the guys that are working through it."

...Toss in the torn MCL, challenge to rebuild confidence and his status as a new parent, and the now-23-year-old Pitts is in a completely different place than he was two seasons ago.

But through adversity, Pitts has illustrated the characteristics that made the Falcons so fond of him during the pre-draft process, all the while inspiring confidence his future is brighter than anything he's done in the past.

"It would be easy to make excuses, it would be easy to blame things on that, and that’s why we love Kyle," Smith said. "That’s why we drafted him. Again, his best days are ahead of him. So, in any game, there are ebbs and flows. That’s what you appreciate. It will happen sooner or later.”

Pitts' role in Atlanta's offense remains larger than the stats may suggest. He's second on the team in targets, trailing only receiver Drake London, and is tied for second in receptions with fellow tight end Jonnu Smith.

Among tight ends...He trails Jonnu Smith in yards. Some of it's a product of the changes the Falcons' offense has undergone in recent years, but the numbers remain what they are.

At his current pace, Pitts will conclude the season with 60 receptions for 712 yards and two touchdowns, which is certainly a respectable campaign ... but not quite at the level he reached as a rookie.

Arthur Smith isn't sure Pitts is physically at the level he was two years ago - but he doesn't feel that's up to him to decide. Instead, Smith is focused on valuing what Pitts brings to Atlanta's offense and, on a bigger scale, locker room.

• Like 1

@Going Commando, you hit on my concern with Latham after the Georgia game. He had a great game, stymied the competition. It however seemed like he was never tested by speed rushers or rushers with countermoves. I focused heavily on him and he hammered but they mostly ran at him or just upfield which he handled with ease. He did look very good in run blocking on most plays to the right. I can see his feet were not real quick but man, he did look solid. We would be better with him than Wylie for sure and is a player I will be keeping my eye on as the draft approaches. I find some similarities with my early draft crush Fuaga who is deadly in the run game from RT. He may also struggle some against the speed rusher on the outside but grabbing one of these two later in the first found would be killer if they can't pull in a RT through FA. 

I have been much more in line with Fashanu than the other OT's. He will be a solid LT and not sure we will have a better opportunity for a LT unless we stick with Leno. I think Alt will work out but I don't see him as a stud at all and haven't since watching him in a number of games.

All of this but I have seen little film on any of these players and of course, who knows what offense scheme we will be going with.

Also just wanted to state again that Beebe is a stud and sure would look pretty in Burgundy and Gold

• Like 2

Joe Alt, every draft report have read talks about him having great to elite arm length.  @Going Commando with the outlier take that he's short armed.

I can't recall the last 6 '8 athlete who is also short armed.  Looking at his arms, his length look good to me.  Not sure I agree with "elite" but i'll certain bet against the short armed narrative.

Supposedly his wingspan is 84 which is good.  Same as supposely Fashanu.  Better than Tyler Smith and a host of other tackles.

I am not pounding the table at all for Alt.  But especially if they trade down a little, I think he'd be a good pick IMO.  

alt.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 7.10.18 AM.png

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Haven't heard any indication that they want to trade him.  He's still young.  Sans Peterson, usually its the 2nd season, not the first coming off an ACL or MCL is when they regain form.

I listened to Arthur Smith talk about Kyle Pitts on the radio when he was in studio with the show hosts a couple of days ago, and he loves Pitts.  If the decision is up to Smith, then they would not move on from Pitts.

I also would definitely not trade either of our DTs for Pitts unless Allen specifically asked to be traded to Atlanta.  Even still, that feels like trading at a loss.

Before anyone lands on a hard and fast take against Brock Bowers with our high first rounder purely because he's a tight end, I suggest going back and watching the Auburn game again.  Then watch the SEC CG from '21 when he was a true freshman.  This is the impact that special players have on games, no matter their position.  Bowers is as special as it gets, and we would massively benefit from having him.  We would be lucky to draft him, and the only players that would give me pause about drafting over him are Harrison Jr and the top QBs.  IMO our BPA choice is going to come down to Maye, Daniels, or Bowers if we pick 4 or 5.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This draft is so deep at OT. I'd be all for dropping back from 4/5 to the back of the top 10 and taking Bowers. The Raiders coming up for Daniels would be magic IMO.

There might be 25 OTs taken in the first two days of the draft and we've got the picks. 

They can drop back and with all the picks get two early OL that should be able to start early in the year plus have more early picks. It would be sweet to get at least one pick for next year too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I listened to Arthur Smith talk about Kyle Pitts on the radio when he was in studio with the show hosts a couple of days ago, and he loves Pitts.  If the decision is up to Smith, then they would not move on from Pitts.

I also would definitely not trade either of our DTs for Pitts unless Allen specifically asked to be traded to Atlanta.  Even still, that feels like trading at a loss.

Before anyone lands on a hard and fast take against Brock Bowers with our high first rounder purely because he's a tight end, I suggest going back and watching the Auburn game again.  Then watch the SEC CG from '21 when he was a true freshman.  This is the impact that special players have on games, no matter their position.  Bowers is as special as it gets, and we would massively benefit from having him.  We would be lucky to draft him, and the only players that would give me pause about drafting over him are Harrison Jr and the top QBs.  IMO our BPA choice is going to come down to Maye, Daniels, or Bowers if we pick 4 or 5.

I am in no need of convincing on Bowers.  Agree.  I just waver on him versus the LT even though my mind rarely is fixated on need.  I just like Fashanu and Alt.  I do like Bowers more.  

TE has sort of been my spot here.  I ultimately watch every prospect even guys who are deemed to be undrafted.

Bowers is the best TE I've ever watched in all my years doing this.  I'd be stoked.   My fear with TEs is injuries.  They get banged up so much including Bowers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

They can drop back and with all the picks get two early OL that should be able to start early in the year plus have more early picks. It would be sweet to get at least one pick for next year too

I'm hoping for 3 OL and a LBer the first two days. 

I really like Van Pran, but OC for me seems like our biggest priority to me and I like a few of them.

I'd also like to see a significant late round investment at OL as well.

Strom and Cosmi are about all we have that are worth anything. Maybe Daniels can develop into a decent back up OG.

Wylie might start at guard next year, but he can't be the RT. I've been a Leno defender his entire time here, but he's about to cross the age line, that only Trent has broken.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Absolutely brutal undertaking but what the heck:

Top 20 OT’s

1. Joe Alt Notre Dame (Clearly the best LT feet to my eyes in this class)
  2. Olu Fashano Penn State (Best anchoring OT to my eyes)
  3. Amarius Mims Georgia
  4. Taliese Fuaga Oregon State
  5. Jordan Morgan Arizona *Underrated IMO
  6. JC Latham Alabama
  7. Tyler Guyton Oklahoma *Underrated IMO
  8. Kingsley Suamataia BYU
  9. Jack Nelson Michigan *Underrated IMO
  10. Matt Gongalves Pitt *Underrated IMO
  11. Graham Barton Duke (Arm length and hands are a concern held his own for the most part against Verse Florida State no dancing bear but effective)
  12. Zion Nelson Miami *Underrated IMO
  13. Blake Fisher Notre Dame *A bit overrated IMO 
  14. Rueben Fathertree Jr. Texas A&M *Vastly underrated IMO
  15. Jonah Monheim USC *Underrated IMO
  16. Julian Pearl Illinois *Underrated IMO
  17.  Patrick Paul Houston
  18. Javon Foster Missouri
  19. Walter Rouse Oklahoma
  20. Garrett Greenfield South Dakota State

*Potential risers more sure to come so many prospects:

Gerald Mincey Tennessee

Ajani Cornelius Oregon

Caeden Wallace Penn State

Jeremy Flax Kentucky

Brandon Coleman TCU

Kiran Amegadjie Yale *Could be overrated IMO but excellent physical traits

Marcus Bryant SMU

I always love these kinds of lists, I have no idea why.  Speaking as a PSU fan who has watched a lot of Fashanu, we'll be happy with him.  Here's the thing...despite playing defenses like Ohio State and Michigan, I don't believe Fashanu has given up a single sack in two years, at least I've seen that written elsewhere.  The guy is a fantastic pass protector and if for some reason we're going to keep dropping back at the highest rate in the league, we kind of need that.

Also being a PSU fan, I've seen a lot of Caeden Wallace.  Avoid at all costs.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can't recall the last 6 '8 athlete who is also short armed.  Looking at his arms, his length look good to me.  Not sure I agree with "elite" but i'll certain bet against the short armed narrative.

It's actually more common than you'd think.  Just from last year, Blake Freeland, Ryan Hayes, and Jaxson Kirkland were all tall OTs with short arms.  It's the Sebastian Vollmer build, and for some reason a lot of the tall white OTs have short arms relative to their height.  I think Alt shares this build, and the reason I think he has length issues is because of the way they sets extremely deep and has to strain and ultimately lean forward to keep his hands on rushers, who easily get their hands into his chest and push his head back.  That kind of lunging, head back posture while engaged and trying to lock your arms is a tell tale sign of losing the length battle.

It's a real contrast to me to see the reps against Ohio State from Peter Skoronski and Alt.  Skoronski pretty much dominated Tuimaloau in '22 whereas Alt struggled.  Skoronski was good and a better player and prospect than Alt, but he had big length issues too. The difference was he is way more powerful than Alt, and he could jump rushers and anchor on them without needing so much space.

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It's actually more common than you'd think.  Just from last year, Blake Freeland, Ryan Hayes, and Jaxson Kirkland were all tall OTs with short arms.  It's the Sebastian Vollmer build, and for some reason a lot of the tall white OTs have short arms relative to their height.  I think Alt shares this build, and the reason I think he has length issues is because of the way they sets extremely deep and has to strain and ultimately lean forward to keep his hands on rushers, who easily get their hands into his chest and push his head back.  That kind of lunging, head back posture while engaged and trying to lock your arms is a tell tale sign of losing the length battle.

It's a real contrast to me to see the reps against Ohio State from Peter Skoronski and Alt.  Skoronski pretty much dominated Tuimaloau in '22 whereas Alt struggled.  Skoronski was good and a better player and prospect than Alt, but he had big length issues too. The difference was he is way more powerful than Alt, and he could jump rushers and anchor on them without needing so much space.

Freeland with 34 inch arms, still good enough. Reported 82 wingspan.  Alt at 84 supposedly.

He doesn't look to my eyes to be short armed, ditto every draft write up I've seen which goes the opposite route raving about his length.  Will see.  

I watched the Ohio State game don't recall him struggiling but I'll rewatch it.  He gave up 1 sack, 2 hurries all season long.  So his struggles at least in the context of consequences were pretty minimal.

12 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I always love these kinds of lists, I have no idea why.  Speaking as a PSU fan who has watched a lot of Fashanu, we'll be happy with him.  Here's the thing...despite playing defenses like Ohio State and Michigan, I don't believe Fashanu has given up a single sack in two years, at least I've seen that written elsewhere.  The guy is a fantastic pass protector and if for some reason we're going to keep dropping back at the highest rate in the league, we kind of need that.

Also being a PSU fan, I've seen a lot of Caeden Wallace.  Avoid at all costs.

No sacks this year, 10 hurries this year.  But yeah no sacks for his career.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bowers is the best TE I've ever watched in all my years doing this.  I'd be stoked.   My fear with TEs is injuries.  They get banged up so much including Bowers.

WOW, that's big words on Bowers coming from you! To me you have always been the one that spends the most time on TE's and respect your thoughts on them.

I have a really hard time buying into a TE so early regardless of his speed or other talents. My concerns start with your remarks on being able to stay healthy, that is always so hard for TE's. That's why I always look to rounds 2-5 for TE's...and yeah, this isn't a great draft for them. This team really effed up last year not taking one of the TE's.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm hoping for 3 OL and a LBer the first two days. 

I really like Van Pran, but OC for me seems like our biggest priority to me and I like a few of them.

I'd also like to see a significant late round investment at OL as well.

Strom and Cosmi are about all we have that are worth anything. Maybe Daniels can develop into a decent back up OG.

Wylie might start at guard next year, but he can't be the RT. I've been a Leno defender his entire time here, but he's about to cross the age line, that only Trent has broken.

Yeah 3 OL would be even better than two early but I don't think they will invest that much in one season. I could see two early and another late for sure. There are just too many other changes that whoever takes over will be addressing.

FA is going to play such a huge role prior to the draft this year (or should I say it better after so many crap jobs over the past few years)

I would expect Cosmi and one of either Leno or Wylie (G) starting when the season opens with Strom and Daniels as backups. There was talk last year of Leno being a good potential option at LG if moved off of LT. I doubt any of the other OL return. If EB is indeed gone, I believe they but ties with Wylie just because....flush!

While I like Van Pran and love the grit of Powers-Johnson, I'd really like to see a good vet in FA brought in to lead a group of rookies and young guns

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

WOW, that's big words on Bowers coming from you! To me you have always been the one that spends the most time on TE's and respect your thoughts on them.

I have a really hard time buying into a TE so early regardless of his speed or other talents. My concerns start with your remarks on being able to stay healthy, that is always so hard for TE's. That's why I always look to rounds 2-5 for TE's...and yeah, this isn't a great draft for them. This team really effed up last year not taking one of the TE's.

Yeah 3 OL would be even better than two early but I don't think they will invest that much in one season. I could see two early and another late for sure. There are just too many other changes that whoever takes over will be addressing.

FA is going to play such a huge role prior to the draft this year (or should I say it better after so many crap jobs over the past few years)

I would expect Cosmi and one of either Leno or Wylie (G) starting when the season opens with Strom and Daniels as backups. There was talk last year of Leno being a good potential option at LG if moved off of LT. I doubt any of the other OL return. If EB is indeed gone, I believe they but ties with Wylie just because....flush!

While I like Van Pran and love the grit of Powers-Johnson, I'd really like to see a good vet in FA brought in to lead a group of rookies and young guns

Yeah, JPJ I really like a lot. SVP probably sneaks into the first behind Beebe as the top IOL guys. JPJ in the second. I don't know if Limmer or Frazier sneak into day two. If either does, I'd bet Limmer follows Stroms path in the back of day 3. I would jump on Limmer in the 4rth though.

One of the PFF draft guys like him as a TE, he's 235 pounds.  Decent stats. I just watched a game.  Yeah as a TE, he would intrigue me.   He moves well for his size.   He doesn't look 4.4 per the tweet below, looks more 4.5ish to me but that's good athleticism for a TE.  Looked OK as far as contested catches.  didn't see much YAC in that game.  But as a seperator, he has potential.  I nsaw a good block down field from him, too.

Keon Coleman has some nice double moves, good seperator, I like how he keeps moving when the QB is likewise moving in the pocket.  Intriguing tall target.  I watched him a little in real time, need to watch more.

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 8.01.37 AM.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, JPJ I really like a lot. SVP probably sneaks into the first behind Beebe as the top IOL guys. JPJ in the second. I don't know if Limmer or Frazier sneak into day two. If either does, I'd bet Limmer follows Stroms path in the back of day 3. I would jump on Limmer in the 4rth though.

While I rather a good vet C I would be all in a grabbing Van Pran or JPJ. I am not as sure I'd to with the others because they could possible start. I am looking at Strom as a backup C and G right now. That would mean we need a starting C immediately to lead the young OL. 

Imagine if trading back could lead to 2-3 good OL starters, amazing upgrade that should have occurred last year with a TE for Howell...good ridannce Ronny

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Pitts is the best receiving TE I've watched.  But as for the full package, its Bowers.  He can block.  He can catch.  Seperates well.  YAC mastero.   Heck they use him at times out of the backfield.  He's been very good all three seasons he's started.

To me he's a rich man's Laporta.  He has the same two traits -- seperation skills, YAC but he's even better.  He has better hands than Laporta IMO.    He can be used as a Y TE or F.  Pick your pleasure with him. 

The Kittle comps I keep seeing don't strike me wacky.  He moves like him IMO. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pitts is the best receiving TE I've watched.  But as for the full package, its Bowers.  He can block.  He can catch.  Seperates well.  YAC mastero.   Heck they use him at times out of the backfield.  He's been very good all three seasons he's started.

To me he's a rich man's Laporta.  He has the same two traits -- seperation skills, YAC but he's even better.  He has better hands than Laporta IMO.    He can be used as a Y TE or F.  Pick your pleasure with him. 

The Kittle comps I keep seeing don't strike me wacky.  He moves like him IMO. 

Amazing but I still have a hard time top 4 with a TE.Now we end out down there they move back a little he is there, then perhaps I change my mind. That or if I just find myself blown away with him. That began to occur with me regarding Hockenson but I let off when he IMO went too early. I always knew what Pitts brought to the table but felt he was over drafted as well. This is part of the reason why I was so high on Laporta and Mayer last year. Incredible talents that were very possibly lasting until the 2nd round, and they did last. We will see lol.