Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders K.J. Henry EDGE, CLEM

PCS

Welcome to the team sir.  Enjoy. :) 

CBS,com Player Page

Looks the part as a strong EDGE. Three-down type who's better against the run than anything else. Pass-rush move arsenal is almost non-existent. Will win at times simply due to his frame + power. Will be 25 as a rookie. (Chris Trapasso)

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 76.44 (Chance to start) 

Pro Comparison: Lorenzo Carter 

Accolades:

2022: Second-team All-ACC

Summary:

K.J. Henry has good waist bend at the high side of his rush and is capable of turning speed to power. However, he needs to develop more secondary pass-rush moves. Henry has limited pass-rush production but peels off to impact pass lanes when his rush does not get home. 

Strengths:

Impacts pass lanes when rush does not get home

Good waist bend at the high side of his rush

Good job of turning speed to power

Weaknesses:

Limited pass-rush production

Average-to-below average top-end speed

Below-average quickness

Needs to develop more secondary pass-rush moves

Combine Results:

40-Yard Dash: 4.63 seconds

Vertical: 31.5 inches

Broad Jump: 9 feet, 4 inches

2022 College Stats

GP

TKL

*Click Link for more*

NFL.com Player Profile

By Lance Zierlein

NFL Analyst

Draft Projection Rounds 4-5

NFL Comparison Lorenzo Carter

Overview

Highly athletic edge defender with good size. Henry has upfield burst, but he tends to be a face-up rusher and will need to improve his hand usage for more effective corner turns. He can be dynamic when twisting and blitzing as a moveable piece around the defensive front and he does a nice job of setting up a buttery smooth inside rush that is often too quick for tackles. He can dart and disrupt as a one-gapper with his hand in the ground but has more trouble than expected in setting firm edges as a run defender. Henry’s strengths and weaknesses are well-defined, with the upside to become a starter.

Strengths

Community-oriented team captain with high personal character.

Disruptive snap quickness as run defender.

Plus pursuit burst to tighten the outside run lane.

Ankle flexion allows for tight turns.

Reaches in and targets throwing hand around the rush arc.

Capable of transitioning speed to power in his rush.

Stays low and smooth for electric inside rush counter.

Reads quarterback and frequently bats down the pass.

*Click Link For More* 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I understand the principle of it, but people freaking out like KJ Smith is some major massive 5th round disaster is overblown. I think he’s a decent pick here and obviously somebody in our building liked him. I’ll wait and see.

I think it's more about how we got there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it's more about how we got there. 

Totally. But giving up a 6th to get a guy they wanted isn’t crazy. But the pitchforks are out and it’s gonna be that way all season. 

I do like KJ’s speed. We’ll see how they use him.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Totally. But giving up a 6th to get a guy they wanted isn’t crazy. But the pitchforks are out and it’s gonna be that way all season. 

We probably won't see him play at all this season, because he's not remotely close to better than the 6 guys ahead of him already on the roster, but he'll take a few years to develop, but that's okay, because he's only 25 as a rookie. 

My issue is that we obviously wanted a pass rusher, but passed on a superior one to get the OT who was positional need pick, passing on the better player, then moved up to get the last remnant of an Edge. It shows that they're still not drafting BPA and are following their list of needs via position. 

The 6th round is a great spot to take a TE or two in a historically great TE draft, but we wasted that pick.

• Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just went to NFL.com to see how the draft was going, and the top headline was "Round 5 Steal For DC?".  

Granted, headlines like that come when actual NFL talent evaluators do what media wannabes think they should do. (They had him ranked as #77.)  But still, nice to see the Commanders being talked about that way. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like his character and his burst as a 3-technique. Hopefully he works hard at his craft and gets some quality time on the field. 

I just started watching him, almost through one game, has good bend, inconsistent -- had a spurt in the middle of the game where he was disruptive.  I hate it when he decided to just bull rush and ends up locking into the arms of the O lineman.  IMO his go move is to be slippery, especially in stunts -- don't go to power rushes so much.  His stutter step is hit and miss.   I'll watch more but that's my first impression.  He lets O lineman lock into him a bit too easily.  But I can see some traits.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

This team is focusing on guys that can get into rotation right away and have plenty of playing time. To me this is the James Smith-Williams pick with a little more upside. To my untrained eye it seems like Clemson defense has the defensive line stand up blockers a lot for the linebackers to blitz. Also the same theme of leaders and men. 

• Like 1

I'll never forget in 2021 when Sweat and Young were finally both out same time our run D instantly got better because their backups stayed home like they were supposed to.

When we have this much money tied up in arguably the best DT pairing in the NFL, DE is likely an interchangable position of "do your f'n job" guys...Chase isn't alone, I see Sweat gone as well.  We should be trying to trade one or both of them, get what you can, would be nice if they peaked, but we don't need them.  Curl and Forrest are going to be more important to the defense overall then either of them.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1