Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders K.J. Henry EDGE, CLEM

PCS

8 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Anyone watch this guy much? Seems like a head-scratcher to me to trade up for him. I'm trying to be nice. :)

I did during my original watch of prospects and I didn't like him. At all. But you miss things when you are doing this as a hobby and not full time and you are watching so many guys.

So I went back and watched and...

I saw the exact same thing. He vacuums into blockers, uses a single move, gets swallowed by OTs and is very slow to react at times. I watched the Syracuse game in full and was very perplexed.

But on the North Carolina game and... it was the exact same. 

Then I watched a play where Drake Maye broke the pocket because interior pressure forced him off his spot, and then I saw the DT that caused the movement break out of it with a spin and crush Maye. Went to the next play. 

Stopped.

Went back...

"What number was that creating all that disruption? Get him on my list of guys for next year..."

It was Henry. 

Watched some more... Every time he was at 3-tech he looked like a completely different player.

So I went back to Syracuse and watched and realized why... Clemson used him as a hybrid DE/LB. He was aligned as an EDGE but he had a dual role. He is sometimes a part of the coverage assignment and sometimes he is assigned to the back that peels his direction. Because of that dual responsibility, he was very tentative and showed a lack of explosion. He was focused on that dual role. Watched him get burned in coverage on a wheel route against SU that resulted in six for the Orange.

But every time he was aligned as a 3-technique the guy looked like he was shot out of a ****ing cannon. 

My conclusion: If he plays EDGE like he did 3-technique in a scheme designed for him to not need to worry about coverage: We got ourselves a dude. A real explosive, athletic player who uses leverage well and has counter moves.

If he plays EDGE like he did for Clemson we are getting a cut candidate.

But I have to think it's more likely the scheme that caused that and he will play closer to the 3-tech version.

Hated the pick yesterday when it happened. Watched more, found him as a 3-tech and now I think we may have gotten a steal.

We'll see. I think he and Forbes have the highest ceiling in the class. Henry also has the lowest floor. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I did during my original watch of prospects and I didn't like him. At all. But you miss things when you are doing this as a hobby and not full time and you are watching so many guys.

So I went back and watched and...

I saw the exact same thing. He vacuums into blockers, uses a single move, gets swallowed by OTs and is very slow to react at times. I watched the Syracuse game in full and was very perplexed.

But on the North Carolina game and... it was the exact same. 

Then I watched a play where Drake Maye broke the pocket because interior pressure forced him off his spot, and then I saw the DT that caused the movement break out of it with a spin and crush Maye. Went to the next play. 

Stopped.

Went back...

"What number was that creating all that disruption? Get him on my list of guys for next year..."

It was Henry. 

Watched some more... Every time he was at 3-tech he looked like a completely different player.

So I went back to Syracuse and watched and realized why... Clemson used him as a hybrid DE/LB. He was aligned as an EDGE but he had a dual role. He is sometimes a part of the coverage assignment and sometimes he is assigned to the back that peels his direction. Because of that dual responsibility, he was very tentative and showed a lack of explosion. He was focused on that dual role. Watched him get burned in coverage on a wheel route against SU that resulted in six for the Orange.

But every time he was aligned as a 3-technique the guy looked like he was shot out of a ****ing cannon. 

My conclusion: If he plays EDGE like he did 3-technique in a scheme designed for him to not need to worry about coverage: We got ourselves a dude. A real explosive, athletic player who uses leverage well and has counter moves.

If he plays EDGE like he did for Clemson we are getting a cut candidate.

But I have to think it's more likely the scheme that caused that and he will play closer to the 3-tech version.

Hated the pick yesterday when it happened. Watched more, found him as a 3-tech and now I think we may have gotten a steal.

We'll see. I think he and Forbes have the highest ceiling in the class. Henry also has the lowest floor. 

Guess he is not going to out “Toohill” Toohill. I wonder who is getting cut to make space for Henry. I think they keep 9 DLs. 

WBK is a goner for sure. However, one of Toohill, JSW and Obada has to go. If you think he can play some 3 tech but not the LB stuff, that would hurt JSW and Obada more than Toohill

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Guess he is not going to out “Toohill” Toohill. I wonder who is getting cut to make space for Henry. I think they keep 9 DLs. 

WBK is a goner for sure. However, one of Toohill, JSW and Obada has to go. If you think he can play some 3 tech but not the LB stuff, that would hurt JSW and Obada more than Toohill

I actually think he’s going to be an edge. But they’ll let him play like he did when he was the 3-tech for Clemson.

18 minutes ago, method man said:

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually think he’s going to be an edge. But they’ll let him play like he did when he was the 3-tech for Clemson.

We are totally set at DE and DL for sure. 

We have to put him at OLB on the DC.

Toohill, Obada and JSW are all pretty good. Like I'd be happy with them without Chase and Sweat in front of them.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

We are totally set at DE and DL for sure. 

We have to put him at OLB on the DC.

Toohill, Obada and JSW are all pretty good. Like I'd be happy with them without Chase and Sweat in front of them.

I don’t think we’re all set at Edge. I think Obada will play more on the interior. 

We’ll keep 5 edges and 5 DT I think. Four backers. 10 DB

Young, Sweat, Toohill, JSW, Henry

Payne, Allen, Obada, Ridgeway, Mathis

Davis, Barton, Hudson, ???

Forbes, Fuller, St Juste, Dantzler, Johnson

Curl, Forrest, Butler, Martin, Reaves

Obada, JSW, Johnson are bubble players

Fuller a possible cap casualty. 
Jones/Holmes to PS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we’re all set at Edge. I think Obada will play more on the interior. 

Jones/Holmes to PS.

I'd say Bada is a bubble player, but Obada is a lock. JSW is a lock, too. WBK is a bubble guy who can play tackle as well.

Wonder what happened to Wise.

LBer is abysmal.  

Didn't we announce the pick as White as a LBer?

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd say Bada is a bubble player, but Obada is a lock. JSW is a lock, too. WBK is a bubble guy who can play tackle as well.

Wonder what happened to Wise.

LBer is abysmal.  

Didn't we announce the pick as White as a LBer?

Who’s White?

You mean Henry? Pretty sure it said edge.

If it’s LB, he’s not making the team. Bad instincts, doesn’t play inside so he’s forced into the slot corner/Buffalo nickel hybrid role, and he can’t cover for ****.

If they intend to play him as a backer it was a totally wasted (and dumb) pick. Whereas he could legit be our third best edge if he plays like he did at 3-tech for Clemson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Why u gotta do me like that @KDawg...

everywhere I go I'm reminded he's doomed

apke.jpg.731d51590b2a1e16517dfd2a070bcdea.jpg

lilo-and-stitch-rain.gif.2b1344851a06e8498118b185932f0ca7.gif

Apke is still on the team? 

Well, not for long. :ols:

In all seriousness, though, Dantzler’s lack of specs ability may allow Apke a way “in”. But this isn’t a gosh darn “Welcome to the Commanders, Troy Apke!” Thread! :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who’s White?

You mean Henry? Pretty sure it said edge.

If it’s LB, he’s not making the team. Bad instincts, doesn’t play inside so he’s forced into the slot corner/Buffalo nickel hybrid role, and he can’t cover for ****.

If they intend to play him as a backer it was a totally wasted (and dumb) pick. Whereas he could legit be our third best edge if he plays like he did at 3-tech for Clemson.

I meant Henry, yes.

As an Edge, he can be stashed at LB or DE. I'm not saying that he's a traditional LBer.  :ols:

I figure he's more of a 3-4 OLB, than a 43(or nickle) DE. Hand on the ground or not.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Apke is still on the team? 

Well, not for long. :ols:

In all seriousness, though, Dantzler’s lack of specs ability may allow Apke a way “in”. But this isn’t a gosh darn “Welcome to the Commanders, Troy Apke!” Thread! :ols:

I seem to recall reading that they brought in Dantzler for a more veteran leadership role. Reading between the lines, it seems there’s no clear leader in the DB room. Fuller is most senior (followed by Curl) but seems to be a quiet guy and he’s potentially a short timer anyway. The others are all young and still finding their way.

They just significantly retooled their defensive back field but this is now a very young group. Dantzler may be needed to help teach these kids to be pros

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Jones/Holmes to PS.

You think they go unbalanced, 24 defense and 26 offense?As of today, Eifler would be the fourth LB. And I think they’d carry an 11th DB, Holmes.

A lot can change from now until September, but I’d give the edge to those 25.

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

You think they go unbalanced, 24 defense and 26 offense?As of today, Eifler would be the fourth LB. And I think they’d carry an 11th DB, Holmes.

A lot can change from now until September, but I’d give the edge to those 25.

I always like to project one less than half. That accounts for it either way. I think there could be 25 or 26, too, on D. But 24 is safe.

I don't understand why our FO is ok with where we are at LB.

I mean, it's bad, and we didn't really do anything in FA. Nothing in the draft. Not even a UDFA, and there were a couple that I think are better than what we have now.

I just don't get it. And when you consider our HC and DC are both ex LB's? :wtf:

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I don't understand why our FO is ok with where we are at LB.

I mean, it's bad, and we didn't really do anything in FA. Nothing in the draft. Not even a UDFA, and there were a couple that I think are better than what we have now.

I just don't get it. And when you consider our HC and DC are both ex LB's? :wtf:

The plan seems to be Barton and Davis considering 60% of our plays involves 5 DBs. I would expect another vet brought at some stage.

• Like 1