Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just rewatched every snap from the Syracuse game. He got abused. Clemson dropped him in coverage a bit, too. Got beat for 6 on a wheel (that's scheme issue more than him, though, to be fair). 

Also watched part of UNC. He gets moved easily and stalemated easily at edge.

Where I like him better than I thought, and I don't remember seeing this before, is at 3-technique he has great explosion and uses his hands very well as a pass rusher. It's possible that his scheme role at Edge had him hesitant, and when he was playing DT and more of a free rusher he was much more instinctive and played with his hands.

Still don't see much more than a JAG. But I see potential for upside. 

Don't understand trading assets to get him still, either. I'm a touch better with the pick now than I was though, so there's that. 

I am back and forth about PFF.  But I like them as a resource for 2 things.  Do they reinforce what i see?  For example as i mentioned i heard the ESPN take on Daniels, and am thinking, am I nuts or is it them because I saw his strengths and weaknesses totally the opposite.  So i looked at how PFF graded him and they backed me up.

The other way I like to use PFF is they watched ALL the games.  I usually just watched 2-4.  So i go back and look at the players scores for those games to see if I might have a skewed too good or too bad impression based on the small sample I took in.

There are usually give or take 10 players I watched each draft season where I just don't have an overriding impression one way or another to land with a strong take so I just give up.  Henry was one of them.  you probably don't recall but my introduction to Myles Murphy was from watching Henry, I said on the draft thread, I am watching Henry but can't keep my eyes off of Murphy and you went Murphy is your favorite pass rusher.

I'll watch him later tonight.  Judging by PFF's take -- they like his pass rushing prowess but don't like how he sets the edge.  I'll make up my own mind.  Surprised he played so much on the left in the games I watched, if setting the edge isn't his thing as much as pass rushing.

PFF as to pass rushing specifically swears by their pass rushing grade -- they said its been one of their most reliable metrics in predicting NFL success.  They had Henry pretty high on that count.  that is, for the big schools.  The small schools they say take with a grain of salt. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 2.30.08 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Good speed, excellent character, good length, good competition level, in-depth time under Kerrigan’s microscope, very good 2022 PFF score, NFL Mock Draft Database rank 132, fits a need, good ST potential, but… bad choice?  I mean, don’t get me wrong, he’s got flaws, I just don’t get the disdain…

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, skinny21 said:

Good speed, excellent character, good length, good competition level, in-depth time under Kerrigan’s microscope, very good 2022 PFF score, NFL Mock Draft Database rank 132, fits a need, good ST potential, but… bad choice?  I mean, don’t get me wrong, he’s got flaws, I just don’t get the disdain…

I don't care about what any site is saying. I form my opinions based on what I see/watch.

I don't see it. He's not good on the edge. He is dominated by tackles.

But, my lone caveat is that the scheme may have had him as a linebacker/edge where he was responsible for the leaking back and that made him more hesitant at times. 

He looks like a slow reader.

Moved inside to 3-tech, though, he looks like he's shot out of a cannon. So, maybe that's what they see. They see him getting mauled but know his role is what slowed his processing and they are relying on the way he played at 3-technique.

It's possible. And that's where my hope lies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Moving up for him though. Like let’s act aggressive about something 

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I think many posters were expecting a player to fill a position of need such as LB or TE

Just now, FrFan said:

I think many posters were expecting a player to fill a position of need such as LB or TE

I think many posters were hoping for a player they felt was better.

For the record, Edge is a need. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't care about what any site is saying. I form my opinions based on what I see/watch.

But, my lone caveat is that the scheme may have had him as a linebacker/edge where he was responsible for the leaking back and that made him more hesitant at times. 

Moved inside to 3-tech, though, he looks like he's shot out of a cannon. So, maybe that's what they see. They see him getting mauled but know his role is what slowed his processing and they are relying on the way he played at 3-technique.

Bro, the patience and restraint you've shown throughout this thread is unbelievable.  I know that this kind of stuff is really your thing, and the fact that you haven't posted a "flip the table" post even once with as disappointing as this draft seems to be is really admirable.

No sarcasm, it's really cool.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Alright, Packers, this is the end of the 5th.  If you're planning on covering Safety, now's the time.  JL Skinner is still on the board.

Terelle Smith is a great get and still there I think. Skinner is really good but coming back from injury.

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Bro, the patience and restraint you've shown throughout this thread is unbelievable.  I know that this kind of stuff is really your thing, and the fact that you haven't posted a "flip the table" post even once with as disappointing as this draft seems to be is really admirable.

No sarcasm, it's really cool.

I genuinely have liked a lot of the players we've taken. But I appreciate it.  I think our FO does a tremendous job uncovering talent. 

So, it's possible I missed with Henry. But watching him again, I don't think I did based on his film.

Where I am willing to give a little is the interview process may have uncovered the role Clemson asked of him and shed some light on his actual abilities. I also admittedly missed him at 3-tech when I had watched him prior, so seeing him explode and knife through OL as a 3-technique definitely gives me a touch more confidence in him. I'm really guessing he was assigned as a DE/OLB hybrid vs. as a pure edge. That caused him to hesitate in his rushes and setting the edge as he was reading.

If he is a pure edge and is allowed to play like he did at 3-technique I think he'll do fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Drafting should be (at least in part) about long term roster development. We just declined to pick up Chase Young’s 5th year option which has to raise a question about if he will be on the team next year. 

This is also a contract year for Sweat and given what we are paying Allen and Payne inside it’s hard to see us being able to pay both Sweat and Young - probably have to pick one of them we want to extend.

Depth is also a question.

So while I wouldn’t say DE is an immediate priority - I would say it’s a position of need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People commenting on passionate fans having emotions and opinions, are the typical whine and cheesers who allow their stadium to be over run with other teams fans, but the condescending superior attitude is just adorable. It's nice to see people embrace failure with pride. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Drafting should be (at least in part) about long term roster development. We just declined to pick up Chase Young’s 5th year option which has to raise a question about if he will be on the team next year. 

This is also a contract year for Sweat and given what we are paying Allen and Payne inside it’s hard to see is being able to pay both Sweat and Young - probably have to pick one of them we want to extend.

Depth is also a question.

So while I wouldn’t say DE is an immediate priority - I would say it’s a position of need. 

Not to mention, the articles (which are just someone's opinions) are from 11 months ago... so before last season. Not sure what that has to do with anything. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Totally respect and appreciate your take.  I’d say my comment was less directed to someone like you with an “informed” take.  Definitely possible he doesn’t grow/overcome the edge-setting issues you mention.  With that said, he’s got the size/athleticism, and Kerrigan getting a week or so with him is a pretty huge plus in my book.  Couple that with SIPs PFF comments and an impressive character, and I have trouble with the idea it was a dumb pick.  Could it not work out?  Yeah, of course.  Lot of knee jerk reactions though, IMO.  We’ll just have to see how it plays out.

• Like 1