Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

6 hours ago, Starry Plough said:

Just finished the presser. Had little interest in Wright (who looks like he’d smile and applaud anyone if it meant keeping his job) and Ron (who seemed a little awkward or something) but real positive vibes from the others.

Harris - I’ve seen the comments that he’s known to be more comfortable behind-the-scenes than front and centre, and I felt you could see that early going. As it went on, however, he appeared more comfortable and even seemed to prefer the journo questions rather than reading from a script.

Rales - Seems a natural speaker who wasn’t overawed and came across like it genuinely matters to him. From memory he used the term “ignite the fan base” which IMO is the kind of term that resonates.

Magic - Clearly an emotional guy who has a real aura about him. Encouraging the standing ovation was a little much for me and I think that’s definitely a US thing (sorry to you all 🤣), but he knows how to rally folk and that’s important.

Beyond that the team name and stadium issues were obviously big topics for the journos as both came up more than once and I imagine will continue to going forward.

Love your usage of "journo", now I have to go watch Greenstreet Hooligans again.....which is a great sleeper flick.  Thanks

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I remember a decade plus into Snyder's ownership, those of us who were becoming antsy with the underperformance were met with the mantra from the Dan Fans "Be patient!"

I'm going to take that to heart to realize that the Harris ownership will likely not deliver championship results overnight. But I will give them time to make better all of the aspects Josh mentioned today, at least with the confidence that these are better human beings than the previous regime.

Again....good riddance, Dan.

I measured my impression of Dan by his first actions, the trying to get rid is Brad, the firing of Casserly, the Pepper Rogers, the Ice Cream, the old folks team, that was early stuff that left a lasting impression. We'll see with Harris 

13 hours ago, worstSeat said:

Nah, listen to Timmy Goodtimes on Keim's podcast. Not much from Harris with the media to date.

https://overcast.fm/+RBUUHP8mo

That's mostly good, and maybe he'll come out of his shell being in DC, but I'm worried that's also his weakness. There's been some complaint that he's overly into analytics and devalues team chemistry. That's a bigger deal in the NFL than NBA, but (see exhibits Hardin, Simmons, Harris, etc or counterexample Miami Heat) even in the NBA chemistry is king.

If there's one thing Rivera has done, it's get good, smart, high-character guys on his team. The chemistry seems (imo) to be pretty good. I haven't felt that to this degree since Gibbs, but that's mostly made up, since you can't get much feel sitting on your couch watching games and listening to podcasts.

Anyhow, looking forward to catching games reasonably guilt free now.

This is interesting because I study mathematics and I am quick to point out that an analytic is not the be all and end all because of it's red m existence. I like that Harris asked the question of what will give us the next advantage. We still have to questions like that. Sometimes it is things like ol knowing each other over a long time vs one dominant personality who doesn't get along. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I remember a decade plus into Snyder's ownership, those of us who were becoming antsy with the underperformance were met with the mantra from the Dan Fans "Be patient!"

I'm going to take that to heart to realize that the Harris ownership will likely not deliver championship results overnight. But I will give them time to make better all of the aspects Josh mentioned today, at least with the confidence that these are better human beings than the previous regime.

Again....good riddance, Dan.

Josh will do it right. He will see what he has this year and then next year make the changes he needs to make. He has a plan and we just have to be patient.

The mantle of being the worst nfl franchise, can now go to some other team.

That joy they are now feeling in Detroit and Jacksonville will soon be felt here.

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Josh will do it right. He will see what he has this year and then next year make the changes he needs to make. He has a plan and we just have to be patient.

The mantle of being the worst nfl franchise, can now go to some other team.

That joy they are now feeling in Detroit and Jacksonville will soon be felt here.

Lol. Even in our finest hour where we are experiencing the downfall of an idiot owner and transitioning to a new regime full of promise and hope for a new future, you're right back to get rid of Ron without calling him by name. Lol.

Dude, let it go. If Harris decides that, then so be it. But you doing everything you can to wish it into existence every chance you get is just sad and tiring at this point.

Celebrate the end of what has been a horrific, dark period of our lives and channel your energy into enjoying the moment. You'll live longer.

HTTR! Hail to Josh Harris!

Hail to a return to glory!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The vibe Ron gave to me is almost like he wasn't sure he belonged on that stage with that group.  Maybe he wanted to purposely come off a bit toned down because it was Harris' day.  Ron was OK but I've seen him speak a zillion times, and he seemed a bit off his game energy wise.   But maybe i am reading too much into it.

That’s a good shout that he maybe just felt the stage was set for Harris et al. Regards the energy observation then, I’d hope with everything the guy has been through from a health perspective this gives him a lift and I mean that even beyond the football side of things. Only it’s been rightly acknowledged since yesterday how much it clearly means to existing players like Jon Allen and Terry, to the point they physically look to have a weight lifted off their shoulders and can focus on doing what they love, and they’re obviously much younger than Ron.

Was just watching Finlay and a pair of other guys discussing the presser and the energy from yesterday is just so clearly infectious, with each looking like kids in a toy store -  hearing them talk about how big of a pop they’re expecting on week 1 makes me wish I could be there for it. 

It’s also so satisfying seeing Dan get completely eviscerated without reservation. Only I know shots were rightly taken before, but I always felt some in the media weren’t prepared to really unload, whereas now it’s yet another example of how truly significant him going is. Almost like the last of the poison is finally being extracted and feeling not just normal again but actually rediscovering a positivity. 

6 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Love your usage of "journo", now I have to go watch Greenstreet Hooligans again.....which is a great sleeper flick.  Thanks

Hmm, we’ll have to disagree on the “great sleeper flick” I’m afraid. 😅 That said, seeing a Geordie (Newcastle Upon Tyne in the North of England for those unfamiliar) do an atrocious ‘****ney geezah’ accent whilst looking about as intimidating as Dan is good for a laugh. You’re welcome, btw. 😁

I've been ruminating over this for the past few days.  I'm not sure how I feel.

Well, there is one thing I'm certain of and it's that it's a lot harder to pay attention to all of this when your baseball team is in first place in a division that actually matters.  Ain't that right, @Riggo#44?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy.  Elated.  Very happy that Snyder is gone and that we have someone new who seems capable.  I like Harris mostly because this isn't his first rodeo in owning a sports team and I think that's absolutely huge.  

Maybe the news over the past few days feels a bit anticlimactic because this has been in the works for a number of months now. I think the real surprise and the best day was last fall when it was announced that Snyder was considering selling the team.  That, IMO, was the best.

I've been trying to figure the best analogy to describe how I feel and I can't figure one out.  But even though Snyder is gone, even though we have a new owner and a lot of promise on the horizon, I just still can't help but feel that something valuable was taken away from us.  Maybe that feeling will change if this team ever starts winning again, maybe it really can get back to the good old days.  I just know that the team that Harris is inheriting his a far, far cry from what Snyder purchased back in 1999 and that makes me sad.  

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, there is one thing I'm certain of and it's that it's a lot harder to pay attention to all of this when your baseball team is in first place in a division that actually matters.  Ain't that right, @Riggo#44?

Well, supporting a winning team that is a World Series contender and balancing other teams and interests is a challenge. I have far more experience and will happily help you anyway I can. I also know the elation of actually winning one. I wish I could describe it to someone who doesn't, but alas, it's impossible.

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I just still can't help but feel that something valuable was taken away from us.  Maybe that feeling will change if this team ever starts winning again, maybe it really can get back to the good old days.  I just know that the team that Harris is inheriting his a far, far cry from what Snyder purchased back in 1999 and that makes me sad.  

In the elation of finally being rid of that moldy skid mark of an owner, this is a real issue. Snyder has done irreparable harm to all of us. I am more excited than I have been in 30 years. But Spaceman here is rather astute. It's not the same. Will it get back? I believe the passion for this team will return--there were a lot of happy, celebratory people at the festivities these past two days. I love seeing people excited and having legitimate hope again. I know I do. Unfortunately, it will be different.

• Like 2