Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am curious as to what happens to Jason Wright after he's let go.  People can definitely "fail upwards" and I think he seems to be that kind of a guy.

I cannot believe how many people in the fanbase want to keep him around.   

If he worked for the Jets, then he'd just slide into a corner suite at the NFL office...I heard somewhere about 60% of employees at the league office used to work for the Jets.

If the league truly pushed Wright onto Snyder, they'll probably warm a seat up for him. Did they do that for La Femina?

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

If he worked for the Jets, then he'd just slide into a corner suite at the NFL office...I heard somewhere about 60% of employees at the league office used to work for the Jets.

If the league truly pushed Wright onto Snyder, they'll probably warm a seat up for him. Did they do that for La Femina?

Good call.  Strong chance he gets a spot at the league office.  

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I’m not in the depths of Twitter, but I can’t recall really seeing anyone that wants to keep him around.  I see two opinions mostly:

He’s the absolute worst and he must be fired immediately.

and…

Eh, guy had one of the worst jobs in sports, could care less if he stays or goes.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not in the depths of Twitter, but I can’t recall really seeing anyone that wants to keep him around.  I see two opinions mostly:

and…

Eh, guy had one of the worst jobs in sports, could care less if he stays or goes.

There was a decent twitter contingent that wanted to keep him.

I am surprised by how many people are easily fooled by someone who's handsome, presents well, dresses well...as if that makes them competent at their jobs.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am curious as to what happens to Jason Wright after he's let go.  People can definitely "fail upwards" and I think he seems to be that kind of a guy.

Yep the guy ain’t great at this gig. He’ll move onto better things though. 

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

image.jpeg.850805f3277a4c6d4e79565f90dde06b.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

and…

Judging by twitter, he would be nowhere near Bruce Allen and Cerrato numbers as to fans hating him but definitiely unpopular.  More defend him than Bruce from what I can tell.  But who knows, maybe I'd be wrong.  But I don't care enough to find out. :ols:

Personally for the stuff i care about I think he brings more good things than bad things to his job.  He's not a walking misstatement waiting to happen like Bruce Allen.  And IMO from what I can tell he's much sharper than Bruce as to chasing the stadium.  But I do think you can easily find other people with a similar level of ability who can also chase a stadium and not make a fool of themslves when they open their mouths. 

If you forced me to pick him to stay or go, I'd say stay.  But my caring level about it is a dead 0 out of 100.  

Harris can dump and change anyone here and I'd support it.   I want whatever he wants.  

Speaking of bumbiling fools whenever they open their mouths, Vinny Cerrato is coming on 106.7 soon.  That might be entertaining. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me, i care about one thing and just one thing from the business manager.  I am judging them 100% on that.  To me the other stuff is yawn.   And I know i am not alone on this.

Fair post. Not sure how he’s done a decent job as ‘business manager’ though. 

Do you really think he’s done a good job? Not a direct hit on you, but the guy looks like he’s winging it to me. Just don’t see it at all. 

But, we can differ on that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Do you really think he’s done a good job? Not a direct hit on you, but the guy looks like he’s winging it to me. Just don’t see it at all. 

What killed his chances here were his repeated mistakes (and doubling down on them) which revealed how little he knew about this area, the team, and its history. He had ample time to learn all that, and then to come out with a crest with the wrong dates on it (just one example) and then go dark on Twitter for months after being criticized about the first Sean Taylor fiasco...well, I don't see what he's done 'Wright.'

• Like 3

I thought Wright did a good enough job as a buffer for Snyder but with him gone there is no reason not to find someone more competent at his position. 

The entire problem was good people at the position wouldn't deal with Snyder for long. So we had to take either Snyder's cronies or Wright. In that light, Wright was ok enough. I remember reading that was exactly why the NFL pushed him into that position. As a punishment for Snyder and to facilitate either a sale of the team or at least keep him out of more trouble. Looks like he did his job. He should be rewarded with a greyhound ticket out of the DMV area asap. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

What killed his chances here were his repeated mistakes (and doubling down on them) which revealed how little he knew about this area, the team, and its history. He had ample time to learn all that, and then to come out with a crest with the wrong dates on it (just one example) and then go dark on Twitter for months after being criticized about the first Sean Taylor fiasco...well, I don't see what he's done 'Wright.'

Yeah, it's been constant mishaps and blunders.  For me, the biggest affront was the first Sean Taylor fiasco, then disappearing on Twitter after promising to be "accessible."  The whole ST 1.0 thing was so hastily thrown together, it was such a disaster, poorly planned and organized that anyone with half a brain should have been like "Hey, you know, this feels a little forced, maybe we should take a step back and do something proper before falling on our faces here," but that never happened.  They were so eager to drag Sean Taylor out there because they know it's a soft spot for the fanbase and they just screwed it up so bad.

And then he hides and disappears for something like 2 months.  And then surfaces like nothing ever happened.

The crest was laugh out loud funny, the wrong dates were so embarrassing and stupid and then he tried to double down on them and tell us that WE we were wrong despite all empirical evidence to the contrary.  

I mean, if he can't get the dates on a crest correct, or at least catch that error before it hits the streets then what else is he screwing up?  Where's the attention to detail?  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I see there is a divide within the fan base on some issues.  I hear it in talk radio, see it on twitter.  You are not alone with your take.  I am not alone with my take.   Some within both group thinks the other group are wild and silly.  And I try not to do that because I am hardcore on the point that whatever rocks your boart as a fan is correct for you.  Whatever rocks my boat is correct for me.

You can see what floats my boat based on my posts.  On the draft thread I am a freak about the draft-personnel.    I got like 300 pages of material next to me on my desk about it, you've seen some of the stats on it which I've posted.  I beyond love that stuff, I am almost addicted to it.   My wife likes to joke that my real birthday is draft day because the draft and my birthday fall on the same month.  

I also love going to games, especially with my kids, the experience of it, the stadiums, the atmosphere, etc.  I go to 2-3 games a year.  Cool experience on game day and win.  That's what i live for.  I don't really care about anything else, not even a little aside from be an organization that is classy.  But that's me everyone is different. 

So for me personnel, stadium experience, win games.  I am not saying others here don't care about it.  But I am an over the top freak about it where its tunnel vision.  Some others here are the same.  Some others not or they are but also have other things they care about.  I am overwhelmingly tunnel vision on what for me is the big picture stuff.    

I don't care about packaging or nostalgia.   Not even a little.  I used to care about nostalgia -- now it just depresses me.  Win now.  

Look I was at both of the Sean Taylor games so to speak.  The Buffalo game which was depressing as heck.  And then the Bears game that same week when they turned a page.  It's a really sad story.   But I am burnt out from round a zillion of how good or not Dan-Jason or whomever honors Sean at the next event.  Or if one of their workers mispells London Fletcher's name, stuff like that. 

I am tired of thinking of players like Fletcher who while I loved at the time, it just brings home another good player who played for a losing team.  So we need to celebrate small victories like that.  I just don't like to spend much time thinking about alumni-nostalgia stuff let alone focusing whether they nailed the event or not. 

I was at the Wentz meltdown game against the Browns. I didn't care about Tuddy running down the field.  I didn't care about the Hogs ceremony at halftime.  I only cared about the meltdown feel to the game and the depressing vibe in the stadium which made the day a depressing watch for me. That's what I want to change.  I could have loved the mascot and thought the Hogs ceremony was brilliant but it wouldn't have changed my mood for better or worse one whit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

It would be nice to start a Sunday Ticket boycott until they make some changes at Youtube. Youtube is limiting Sunday Ticket to two streams for this year. With Directv you could add as many receivers and tvs as you had in your house. People with multiple tv setups are completely screwed by the decision.

Oof, I'm on the flip side of that issue.  I used to borrow my BIL's streaming account and it was horrendous-- constantly having to log back in and no ability to stream multiple games on multiple devices. Not to mention that the app was just generally terrible. 

I'm actually looking forward to YouTubeTV taking it over.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, it's been constant mishaps and blunders.  For me, the biggest affront was the first Sean Taylor fiasco, then disappearing on Twitter after promising to be "accessible."  The whole ST 1.0 thing was so hastily thrown together, it was such a disaster, poorly planned and organized that anyone with half a brain should have been like "Hey, you know, this feels a little forced, maybe we should take a step back and do something proper before falling on our faces here," but that never happened.  They were so eager to drag Sean Taylor out there because they know it's a soft spot for the fanbase and they just screwed it up so bad.

And then he hides and disappears for something like 2 months.  And then surfaces like nothing ever happened.

The crest was laugh out loud funny, the wrong dates were so embarrassing and stupid and then he tried to double down on them and tell us that WE we were wrong despite all empirical evidence to the contrary.  

I mean, if he can't get the dates on a crest correct, or at least catch that error before it hits the streets then what else is he screwing up?  Where's the attention to detail?  

All of it could have been avoided if he took responsibility and apologized, which he didn't do until the chorus got very loud. But he's a McKinsey 'genius' and likely never asked for anyone else's input anyway...he probably locked himself in his office and didn't consult with anyone during any part of the process..including designing the logo, etc.

Even the NFL came out and said the dates on the crest were wrong!

And to top it off? Major Tuddy. Wright was the one who said 'tuddy' was slang for touchdown. Uh, WHERE? I'd never heard anyone even use this word before. Wright is the only person who uses that word, apparently.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

There was a decent twitter contingent that wanted to keep him.

I am surprised by how many people are easily fooled by someone who's handsome, presents well, dresses well...as if that makes them competent at their jobs.  

I'm surprised at the vitriol aimed at him honestly.

Out of all the problems this organization has/had, Jason doesn't even rank in the top 50...at least to me. 

If he's retained, that's cool. If he's gone, that okay as well.

🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, srtman04 said:

If it all goes how I think it'll go down,  all that extra money is going to get sucked in the mountain of court cases and litigation against him.  At least that's my hope.   He'll end his miserable life in bankruptcy.  

I hope Tanya files for divorce as soon as the ink is dry.

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

All of it could have been avoided if he took responsibility and apologized, which he didn't do until the chorus got very loud. But he's a McKinsey 'genius' and likely never asked for anyone else's input anyway...he probably locked himself in his office and didn't consult with anyone. Even the NFL came out and said the dates on the crest were wrong.

And to top it off? Major Tuddy. Wright was the one who said 'tuddy' was slang for touchdown. Uh, WHERE? I'd never heard anyone even use this word before. Wright is the only person who uses that word, apparently.

Viewed/views himself as the smartest man in the room, and didn't bother to confer with people in the bldg - like Hurney and others - who have a deep understanding of franchise history and tradition.

Read between the lines..... he's the one pushing very hard for Hard Knocks. You'd see a team president with more camera time than ever in the history of the program. Mr. Bojangles, dance for me.

For me, let him brief the new ownership group over a short span of time (less than a month), then show him the damn door.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Further, his role seems to be redundant.  Magic looks like he brings possibly better media skills while Harris and Rales (along with MJ) should be good at recognizing and recruiting talent for the actual business side. Of course, a primary role of a good management consultant-type is knowing how to be the lightning rod for your boss' fails and how to make sure they get all the credit for successes.

As the news broke on Thursday afternoon that a record-breaking deal to sell the Washington Commanders had been reached (but not yet signed), the emotions inside the team’s headquarters could not be denied.

“Kind of relief,” Commanders coach Ron Rivera told USA TODAY Sports on Friday.

A group led by Philadelphia 76ers owner Josh Harris and including Mitchell Rales and Earvin “Magic” Johnson reached an agreement in principle to purchase the Commanders from Dan and Tanya Snyder for $6.05 billion – the highest price ever for a U.S. sports franchise – and likely end the tenure of the NFL’s most despised owner.

There’s still a window of opportunity over the next couple of days for another bidder, perhaps Canadian billionaire Steve Apostolopoulos, to top the record bid. But after weeks of drama that included the question of whether the embattled Snyder would actually sell the team, the transition appears to be imminent.

“It really seemed like a load was lifted, because everybody was on pins and needles for the last couple of months,” Rivera said, reflecting on the reaction. “You kind of wondered what was going to happen.”

After a short break to process the development on Thursday, what happened next?

“Then we got right back to the draft meetings,” Rivera said. “We’ll still be business as usual.”

Rivera and other key members of the Commanders brain trust, including GM Martin Mayhew and president Jason Wright, have been pressed to carry on as if they are in place for the long haul, even though uncertainty is always part of the package when a new owner arrives.

Then again, as Rivera acknowledged, coaching in the NFL always comes with the urgency of trying to win now…while trying to set the table to win later, too.

“At the end of the day,” Rivera said, “you have to make the best of it right now.”

During the recent NFL league meetings in Phoenix, Mayhew insisted that the prospects of a sale had “zero impact” on the team’s offseason moves. He indicated that he wasn’t privy to details surrounding the bidding process and that he actually preferred that so as to concentrate purely on football matters.

“It’s all about putting together a good football team for 2023,” Mayhew told reporters in late March. “That’s where our focus is.”

After beating the Dallas Cowboys in their finale to close out the 2022 season at 8-8-1, the Commanders made some key moves in free agency to fortify the trenches. After initially placing the franchise tag on defensive tackle Daron Payne, they signed him to a four-year, $90 million extension. They added offensive tackle Andrew Wyllie from the Kansas City Chiefs and center Nick Gates from the New York Giants. Jacoby Brissett, a journeyman who spent last season in Cleveland, is the veteran presence at quarterback to compete with Sam Howell, the front-runner for the starting role who remains unproven as he heads into his second season.

There’s still a decision to make regarding the fifth-year option on defensive end Chase Young, but after signing defensive tackle Jonathan Allen to a four-year, $72 million extension last year, the Commanders are positioned to keep their talented defensive line together for several more years.

Also, the hire of Eric Bieniemy to run the offense also underscores urgency – for the team and for the coordinator bypassed for several head coaching jobs despite his key role on Andy Reid’s staffs with the Chiefs.

“Finishing strong against Dallas was a good tone-setter for the offseason,” said Rivera, heading into his fourth season in Washington. “We’ve tried to build off that. Free agency helped us a lot. So it’s business as usual. Hiring Eric Bieniemy reflected that. Now the draft.”

Barring a trade, Washington will pick 16th in the first round of the draft on April 27. Rivera maintains that the Commanders have the luxury of drafting the best available player.

“We don’t have to take a position,” he said. “We can take whatever players is available in our slot that can best help us. We can only control what we can control. We’ll react to what the people in front of us do in the draft.”

20 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

I'm actually looking forward to YouTubeTV taking it over.

The big knock I hear about YouTube is that there is quite a delay. So if you bet real time or come here to post, you will hear about things that already happened but you haven't seen yet.  Maybe our new owner can fix that. I had to throw that in to keep this on topic.😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1