Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

8 hours ago, philibusters said:

Kam Curl is a good player, but he doesn't make splash plays in coverage.  He ran a 4.60 at the NFL combine.  He plays smart in coverage and part of playing smart if you lack speed is to understand you don't have the speed to get out of position.  Thus he tends to be a fairly dependable but not great coverage player.  As a run defender, he is very good for a safety, possibly a top 10 or so run defender amongst safeties in the NFL.  That said splash plays are made by safeties in coverage--not in run defense.  A fair deal for Curl would be something in the 3 year 40 million dollar deal.

I’d let him go, something tells me that when he gets paid it won’t make him play any better…..

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d let him go, something tells me that when he gets paid it won’t make him play any better…..

Kam is a good player, and if affordable you keep good players, it's what you hope for when you draft them. I don't think he is worth re-setting the market price for him, but if agreeable to a reasonable contract you hold on to your assets when possible. I have a feeling that with a DC who can actually design a D around player strengths, there's a whole nother level to see in Kams play.

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Kam is a good player, and if affordable you keep good players, it's what you hope for when you draft them. I don't think he is worth re-setting the market price for him, but if agreeable to a reasonable contract you hold on to your assets when possible. I have a feeling that with a DC who can actually design a D around player strengths, there's a whole nother level to see in Kams play.

This new regime should not care about keeping players on this band of losers. If a guy hits FA, having been here should not give that guy a leg up on being here. I agree more with you when it comes to a guy like Cosmi who you may get a discount on signing to an extension now

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I may have completed missed it, but Monty Rice was released a couple weeks ago, I wonder why we didn't put a waivers claim on him.   He is not the  LB fans fantasize about, but my impression of him is he would have been the third best LB on this team behind Jamin Davis and Cody Barton.  The Saints got him off waivers and we would have likely been a few spots ahead of them in the waiver order.   Maybe if Davis and Barton were both healthy I could see passing, but with Davis out, he would be nice to have.  Granted I do understand its near the end of the year, so by the time he learns the defense, there may be a game or two left, which won't be meaningful for us, so they may have just thought what was the point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, method man said:

This new regime should not care about keeping players on this band of losers. If a guy hits FA, having been here should not give that guy a leg up on being here. I agree more with you when it comes to a guy like Cosmi who you may get a discount on signing to an extension now

you remember the end of Jay Gruden's tenure?  We'd been 7-9 for two years, 8-7-1 the year before, then the last year the wheels fell off.  And then the next year we were right back to seven wins.

I think we're at a similar place

50 minutes ago, MrJL said:

you remember the end of Jay Gruden's tenure?  We'd been 7-9 for two years, 8-7-1 the year before, then the last year the wheels fell off.  And then the next year we were right back to seven wins.

I think we're at a similar place

You’re probably right but where does that ultimately get us when it comes to Kam? I don’t want to be in the middle. Another factor to consider is that there are a bunch of box safeties/hybrid LB types in FA such as Dugger and Chinn. That should drag down Kam’s value. My bet is that Kam gets under $10M AAV

Yeah I can't understand Kam's regression.  The safety play here has been so bad for so long he looked really good by comparison his first years.  I wanted them to sign him long term to solidify a problem position.  Now I'm not so sure.  I agree with the thought to bring him back if the deal is at market price, if not find another one as there are several options.  

Curl is the perfect balance at safety as far as “do your job” and excelling at it. He isn’t a playmaker as far as game changing picks and such. He’s a big time player who does his job. He still does. This defense stinks.

If I’m the new GM I’m sitting him down and saying, “we want you around, but we aren’t resetting the market. What do you think your value is?”

His agent would probably be the one answering. If it’s wild, you let him test FA. If it’s affordable and fair, you keep him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Curl is the perfect balance at safety as far as “do your job” and excelling at it. He isn’t a playmaker as far as game changing picks and such. He’s a big time player who does his job. He still does. This defense stinks.

If I’m the new GM I’m sitting him down and saying, “we want you around, but we aren’t resetting the market. What do you think your value is?”

His agent would probably be the one answering. If it’s wild, you let him test FA. If it’s affordable and fair, you keep him. 

Everything suggests their starting position won’t fall into what we’d deem as ‘affordable and fair’….

• Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Everything suggests their starting position won’t fall into what we’d deem as ‘affordable and fair’….

I bet he either 1. Gets overpaid on some bad team like Panthers 2. Is asking for so much he doesn’t get signed until late and signs a one year deal with a really good team like the Cowboys.

I think the thought here is that we may go full tear-down of this roster. Here are some moves I would expect we make this off-season as a result, ranked by likelihood:

1. Cut Logan Thomas

2. Cut Charles Leno

3. Cut Andrew Wylie (Post June-1st)

4. Trade Jon Allen

5. Cut Nick Gates

Here's what our cap space would look like going forward (did not include Gates in this calculation, fwiw)

2024: $116.48m cap space (including $8m rollover from 2023)

2025: $167.5m cap space

2026: $235.3m cap space

If we go full-rebuild, I would suspect that we would hold off on heavy spending this off-season. My guess is we would prioritize the draft, solidifying the OL, and adding cheap "money ball" style signings on defense, and rolling a lot of the cap into 2025 where we may be able to spend more freely. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

I don't know who Jeremy Brenner is, but he writes for Sports Illustrated and clearly hasn't watched a Commies football game in the past two years.

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/breaking-commanders-cut-camaron-cheeseman-after-botched-snap-vs-rams

In the NFL, long snappers hardly ever get credit for when they play well. They only get attention when they play poorly, like Cheeseman did on Sunday against the Rams. And it's clear that one bad game can cost you your job. Unfortunately for Cheeseman, that's the case here.

• Like 1