Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, method man said:

I think we’d need to win a bidding war to get Hunter. I wonder if a 3 year $90 mil deal is enough for him. I think he is way better than either Young or Sweat and he is an elite blue chip performer at his position. I agree if you get him you can fill the other end spot with a Toohill or a rookie and a rotation in general.

I really appreciate Evans and his consistency. Out of the other big WRs out in FA, I feel Pittman is a bit of an underachiever who drops the ball more often than you would like and Higgins is going to get top dollar. 

On Al Shaiir, I would go higher if needed and pay Holcomb type of money. Not a lot of greendot MIKEs in FA. Last offseason was deeper for that - the 2019 draft yielded a lot of great off ball LBs. I too would keep Barton around on similar money to what he is making now and then draft a couple rookies late Day 2 and Day 3 to potentially take over as a starter for Jamin if we choose not to extend him. 

3 year 90 million I think would get hunter.

Edited by Redskins 2021

18 hours ago, MrJL said:

I may be totally wrong, but I think the standard for trades are any bonuses get accelerated to the trading team's cap but the team getting the player has to pay their regular salary, unless some sort of deal is worked out. So I think we have basically nine games of rookie contract signing bonus hitting us, but Chicago and San Fran are taking their base salary

I always wondered if the way bonuses were paid mattered.

If a contract did bonuses per game rather than per season for example.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'll say it a slightly different way:

Sweat: His entire signing bonus already hit the cap as of the end of the 2022 season, as it's prorated over 4 years of the original contract, and he was on his 5th year option year. We took 8/17th of this salary, and get 9/17th of his annual salary back in relief, and the Bears pick that up.  (Editorial note, the NFL's 17 game schedule stinks because all the math is in 17ths.  Stupid.)

Young: We already took 1/4 of his singing bonus on this years cap.  We receive relief of 9/17th of his remaining annual salary, which the 49ers will pay.

Given both of them were in the last year of their deals, there was nothing which could escalate to our current cap on the trade.  If either had guaranteed money in future years, that would have accelerated to current year.  

Either team could have asked us to pay for some part of the annual salary, btu I haven't heard that reported, so I'm assuming they picked up the 9/17ths of the remaining annual salary. 

If we had traded Samuel, he has a voided year with $2.something million cap hit next year, and I think that would have accelerated to this year, depending on the type of bonus is was.  

I was basically breaking the bonus down into 17ths as well

Curtis Samuel is OUT this week. Is it going to be Jamison Crowder day? I think so.  I am surprised it is not getting any discussion.

I doubt they will kick Jahan to the slot and give Dyami/Pringle all Sams snaps, especially after the smash week Crowder had. He's still got it. Load up DFS GPP lineups. Get your 3 best out there instead of trying to force more balls to Dyami outside. For all their great tar heel chemistry Sam keeps missing him. Its time to stop trying.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I always felt like multiple tight end sets were especially difficult to defend and if you had good, versatile TEs, almost impossible. Then I listen to that clip of Eugene. I am now advocating going TE in rounds 1 & 2 next year (both of our 2s). 

Its a shame we kicked the can down the road on addressing TE with so many studs available, while remaining fixated at getting more projects for Jack with our top picks. TE2 is invisible. When Logan got concussed EB desperately tried to fill his shoes with Cole Turner - total fail and we got crushed that week. Getting EB running KCs offense we HAD to target TE on draft day. I will say it again Ron did EB NO favors on draft day. None.  Addressing the TE position with QBs 5th rounders and athletes with an occasional pure blocker Sprinkled in there hasn't really worked out. Sure our hands guys have gotten injured but at worst taking a top TE you got a big ass WR in a pinch/more formations to throw at DCs.  I love the way the Chargers use TE2 Parnham.

Fun Fact. Jeremy Sprinkles breakout year, Jay used to try to feature him in game plans and go to him to start games. Always a drop or failed connection. That year he played something like 300 snaps without a reception that spanned 8-10 games IIRC. Talk about easy to game plan for. Defenses literally did not need to account for him.  Maybe Eugene will spur a TE Talk Topic here and visit to share more wisdom.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Its a shame we kicked the can down the road on addressing TE with so many studs available, while remaining fixated at getting more projects for Jack with our top picks. TE2 is invisible. When Logan got concussed EB desperately tried to fill his shoes with Cole Turner - total fail and we got crushed that week. Getting EB running KCs offense we HAD to target TE on draft day. I will say it again Ron did EB NO favors on draft day. None.  Addressing the TE position with QBs 5th rounders and athletes with an occasional pure blocker Sprinkled in there hasn't really worked out. Sure our hands guys have gotten injured but at worst taking a top TE you got a big ass WR in a pinch/more formations to throw at DCs.  I love the way the Chargers use TE2 Parnham.

Fun Fact. Jeremy Sprinkles breakout year, Jay used to try to feature him in game plans and go to him to start games. Always a drop or failed connection. That year he played something like 300 snaps without a reception that spanned 8-10 games IIRC. Talk about easy to game plan for. Defenses literally did not need to account for him.  Maybe Eugene will spur a TE Talk Topic here and visit to share more wisdom.

I don't understand our draft strategy, particularly our second round picks the last couple years on defensive players, where we needed to improve the offense.

That said our second round pick fell in a bit of bad place this year.  I had four guys in my first tier of TE's (Kincaid, Mayer, LaPorta, and Musgrave) and they went 25, 34, 35, and 42, so there wasn't really any good value in my opinion at TE when we picked at 47.  The next two TE's to go were Luke Schoonmaker to the Cowboys and Brenton Strange to the Jags and they were looked at as reaches (and both have PFF grades lower than 45 at this point, Darnell Washington the third taken after 47 has a 48 PFF grade).   By contrast everybody in that top tier has a PFF grade of at least 58.5 (Musgrave) and the other three are all above 60.   I think its O-Line, not TE that we really should have addressed at 47.  If one of the 4 guys in the top tier of TEs was available at 47 yeah we should have taken them.  But they were gone. That said there were 3 or 4 okay O-Line options available there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ron and Co turned a blind eye to the TE position because of the selection of Cole Turner the previous year. It’s like a stubborn mindset to justify previous moves instead of just adding more quality. They likely convinced themselves we were set at TE. Idiots.

• Like 3

Agreed 

The need was so strong for OL in the second round that it makes absolutely no sense to me.....

Unless Quan is a FS to be and they do not plan to re-sign Curl after tagging him. But he really needed to be starting right away for this pick to make sense. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ron and Co turned a blind eye to the TE position because of the selection of Cole Turner the previous year. It’s like a stubborn mindset to justify previous moves instead of just adding more quality. They likely convinced themselves we were set at TE. Idiots.

Yeah and put a ton of faith in the often injured Thomas and the great Armani Rogers and Curtis Hodges. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

well, there's been a fair number of mid round successful mid round TEs

7 minutes ago, method man said:

It’s the market now. Bosa got a $34M AAV from the Niners and Gary got $27M. Sweat will get something around Gary $$$.

Which is a big part of why we traded Sweat. Unless you are talking about someone who literally takes over games from a roster construction perspective it doesn’t make sense to pay a DE high 20’s or 30’s. Especially if you already have a couple of defensive players with big cap numbers. You need to spread those cap dollars around.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, method man said:

It’s the market now. Bosa got a $34M AAV from the Niners and Gary got $27M. Sweat will get something around Gary $$$.

Gary got 96 million over 4 years and that was considered giving the Packers a little bit of a discount.  I think Sweat gets right around what Gary got.  They are similar players.  Gary has generated more consistent pressures numbers (though he had more injuries).

3 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Not worth it. We may miss having a consistent presence at DE, but that’s a bit too rich for my taste. I’d rather build the team up

Edited by mh86
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

7 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Wow the bears are desperate. They way overpaid. 

I think the contract is about what folks expected for Sweat.  Just think the Commanders didn’t want to devote that much of their cap to DLine or pay Sweat that much for whatever reason.  Time will tell whether they made a smart decision.