Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I did read a couple weeks back there was a possibility that we may trade A. Gibson for Ekwler from LA. 

We'd have to throw in pick(s) AND pay Ekeler a long term deal on top of that. As good as Ekeler is, not sure if its worth it. Its just not smart to commit significant resources to the RB position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We'd have to throw in pick(s) AND pay Ekeler a long term deal on top of that. As good as Ekeler is, not sure if its worth it. Its just not smart to commit significant resources to the RB position.

I would rather sign Kareem Hunt who is just as good as Ekeler and has a history with Bieniemy

• Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Athletic

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 3.45.03 PM.png

Ultimately that may work in our favour longer term. As we head towards new ownership, I can’t imagine next offseason being subdued. For me it’s critical we draft well in 2023. Do that and the 2024 offseason is there to be attacked. Clear QB is the outlier right now.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Athletic

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 3.45.03 PM.png

The executive should look at the cap Washington will carry this season. Cap is loaded to the max for the upcoming season. Somehow it’s become a team isn’t spending enough if said team doesn’t use “pretzel cap management”. 

Washington has a lot of talent in house, no need to spend big in free agency. 

Also, the box of “pay obscene amount of money to a competent starter” was left unchecked and I’m super pumped. This executive needs to get with the times, recycle the entitled QBs. 

51% of this is in jest. 

38 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The executive should look at the cap Washington will carry this season. Cap is loaded to the max for the upcoming season. Somehow it’s become a team isn’t spending enough if said team doesn’t use “pretzel cap management”. 

Washington has a lot of talent in house, no need to spend big in free agency. 

Also, the box of “pay obscene amount of money to a competent starter” was left unchecked and I’m super pumped. This executive needs to get with the times, recycle the entitled QBs. 

51% of this is in jest. 

They didn't seem to be criticizing going with Howell.   

Seems like the criticism from outside and some from locals about Rivera is that for a dude with his job on the line -- he's going with a relatively conservative long haul approach even though it might cost him his job.

I sort of have an odd take on this.  In one sense I like Rivera more than most and get the method to the madness where some others are screaming about his approach.   Do i think he and the FO are one of the best in the league?  Nope.  I do think though he's an above average coach from the context of leadership.  i do think his FO have mostly drafted well and overall did a good job albiet not a great job.  

In another sense it wouldn't surprise me if they go 9-8 or something like that where they miss the playoffs and Ron is fired.   They have a young Qb learning the ropes, a new offensive system -- looks like the O line will look a lot different and sometimes it takes some games to gel.  And Ron is a slow starter typically

The Giants for example changed their coaching staff and FO, and now the national media sees them as uber hip and more exciting than this FO-coaching staff.  Some would go futher that they outwitted Ron and company with their game planning last season and that's why they won that head to head series and made the playoffs.     On that front they might be right.  Their D coordinator, Martindale is one of the best in the business.  And the Giants offense coaching staff brought the best out of Daniel Jones. 

A year before last the Giants were perception wise the worst team in the division and not run well.  Perception wise they now superseded this team with the national media.  

And the Giants pulled the splashier move with the Waller trade.  And their fans don't really need to be juiced up.   They are third best in the league in attendance versus us who are dead last.  I bring up the Giants because Ron is in trouble if this is the worst team in the division, they need to at least leapfrog one team. 

So for Ron's critics it feels to some of them that the dude is saying stay the course everything is fine, no need for anything splashy, let the Giants and Cowboys, etc make the splash when the team is on life support with their fans and Ron's career might be on life support because of new ownership.  So that backdrop feel odds to some. 

Now that's the more pessmistic point of view.  The optimistic view is heck maybe Sam Howell plays like a top 10-15 type QB, it's not impossible.   Imagine Dan gone and they have a cheap franchise QB?  The optimism would go 180 even without a splashy off season addition.  IMO its maybe the best roster they've had under the Dan reign of terror.  They need to fix O line and QB but what if he actually clicks?  That's what Ron seems to be betting on. 

I personally am betting on optimism.  But will see.  It's a gamble from Ron, I agree with his critics on that.   But I disagree with those who say Ron's approach makes no sense -- it makes plenty of sense to me.  I know he doesn't always explain his approach well, and some give him a hard time for zig and zagging but some give him too much of a hard time for that IMO. 

As for the zig and zagging that's normal IMO, the road to success is rarely a straight line without adjusting things as you go.  The locals in particular don't seem to understand how Ron can veer on some approaches -- and I'll give them that Ron doesn't always explain why he veered very well -- but the idea of veering is normal not odd IMO.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

$2.4 mil won't get all the draftees in right? Looks like something will need to give

Nope, but we will have cuts. Also, per the media, we are going to get Lamar/we should be in on Lamar. So... :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

At this point getting the 12th overall for Chase Young would be ideal. I just don't see him flipping the switch like Trent did after the second marijuana test and becoming the best in the league.

12: LT Broderick Jones

16: CB Joey Porter

47: MLB Drew Sanders

Three starters, and maybe a 4th of you can get an IOL with the 3rd. 

Could go CB at 12 and a Darnell Wright at 16. Could also wait for 47 to address CB. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 6:49 AM, DWinzit said:

$2.4 mil won't get all the draftees in right? Looks like something will need to give

There are a number of vets on the roster who are cut candidates post draft depending on who they get. Most likely to be let go are Norwell and Roullier. Thomas, Leno and Fuller are possibilities as well but they supposedly aren’t as keen to let those guys go

I don't see anyway we let Fuller go this offseason as we need him plus another piece to fill out the backfield as St. Juste has to prove he can stay healthy.   Perhaps a restructure or just release next season would be in the cards.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

I don't see anyway we let Fuller go this offseason as we need him plus another piece to fill out the backfield as St. Juste has to prove he can stay healthy.   Perhaps a restructure or just release next season would be in the cards.

He’s a FA next year

On 4/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, Est.1974 said:

I expect Jon Allen to restructure his deal creating cap space.

I doubt that. 

Thomas and Roullier are on the June 1rst chop block, depending on how the draft goes.

I'm thinking if we draft Washington, Mayer or Kincad, they'll be expected to start.

If JMS is at 47, he's the pick and Roullier is gone. If he's not, and one of those TEs is there, Thomas is gone and we draft IOL in the back of the third.

If any TE is drafted that can block some, Thomas is a goner

If any OL is drafted that can play C, Roullier is a goner.

Not that they both aren't already, those moves would just put the nail in their coffin.

If any OL is draft with the ability to play LG, Norwell is a goner. Charles possibly too

If any T is drafted then you need to figure Lucas or Leno will probably be on the block

All of these cuts are based on post draft cuts. Pretty sure they need CAP space prior to the draft.

I am with @Koolblue13 thinking at this point, Allen may not be getting a new deal. So much already invested in DL and more to come.

If Chase Young or Sweat are traded our top need is a replacement not OL or DB

8 hours ago, DWinzit said:

If any TE is drafted that can block some, Thomas is a goner

I think they believe Thomas was just coming back to being healthy at the end of the season.  They really like him, I’m sure he gets a look during the off season before they make any move on him.  

If any OL is drafted that can play C, Roullier is a goner.

He’s a goner anyway.  He’s either going to retire or be released. 

Not that they both aren't already, those moves would just put the nail in their coffin.

If any OL is draft with the ability to play LG, Norwell is a goner. Charles possibly too

Norwell is going to be released.  Ron basically said so.  He said currently the LG competition is Charles and the guy they drafted last year who started the Dallas game who they like.  Was extremely dismissive about Norwell.  

If any T is drafted then you need to figure Lucas or Leno will probably be on the block

Leon’s salary might be up for negotiation, but both are good backup options.  I do think one of them won’t be back because they already signed a new RT. 

All of these cuts are based on post draft cuts. Pretty sure they need CAP space prior to the draft.

I am with @Koolblue13 thinking at this point, Allen may not be getting a new deal. So much already invested in DL and more to come.

If Chase Young or Sweat are traded our top need is a replacement not OL or DB

They don’t need cap space right now.  But they will.  They also would like to get a deal done with Curl this off season.  

• Like 1