Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Schedule Rumors, Leaks, Mocks, etc.

kleese

For me, the schedule release is 100% selfish. Like many of you, I plan my fall schedule around our schedule so when/where matters quite a bit. I start looking ahead as soon as it comes out. 

For example, my viewing preference is 4:25 Sunday kickoff. That’s my personal favorite slot because it’s the big boy slot and we were always in it during the glory years. I root for those starts the most. I also like watching the 1pm games without a chance of us losing early. 

I also really like SNF. Can go a full day of watching anticipating our game without ruining anything. 

I don’t like playing Thursday night, so I root for our Thursday game to be on an otherwise busy weekend for me. Prefer it later in season too as I just love early fall Sundays and don’t want one  robbed. 

Indifferent on MNF. I like that a Sunday can’t be ruined and always takes away the Monday workday blues, but also sort of miss the Sunday routine. 

Holiday schedule is huge. Last year I knew I was screwed… the 4:25 Christmas Eve kickoff was worst case for me. Any other slot I could have made work. Missed the Niners game and that was the first game I’ve missed in years. Games will be on Christmas Eve again and I’ll be rooting hard that we actually get a Christmas Day game— MUCH better for me. And if we do play Eve, the 1pm start is preferable. 

Also, forgot that this year NFL will be playing a Black Friday afternoon game. That could be kinda fun/interesting. I was actually gonna throw us in that game on my mock but forgot. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I predict the primetime opening games are:

TNF:  Miami @ KC (Tyreke Hill returns)

SNF:  Buf @ NYJ. (Jets are assuredly getting either SNF or MNF week 1)

MNF:  SF @ Min (Need an NFC matchup).

I can see a push for an early Dallas game just to hurry up and settle whether that season finale was an anomoly or not...just felt like a perfect storm of Dallas having no idea what Howell could really do, him taking what Dallas gave him, and Dallas throwing up on themselves all at the same time.

You don't catch people off guard twice in a row...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I can see a push for an early Dallas game just to hurry up and settle whether that season finale was an anomoly or not...just felt like a perfect storm of Dallas having no idea what Howell could really do, him taking what Dallas gave him, and Dallas throwing up on themselves all at the same time.

You don't catch people off guard twice in a row...

Dallas almost always gets a national TV game Week 1 but I doubt they'd put us in that slot. Probably Giants at 4:30.

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dallas almost always gets a national TV game Week 1 but I doubt they'd put us in that slot. Probably Giants at 4:30.

We probably get just one primetime game against an NFC East team this year.  Either Eagles or Cowboys.  I’m betting it will be a MNF game.  We play a couple of teams out west this year, so we’ll have some 4:25 games, but not the coveted main doubleheader game.  Our games out west will probably be the undercard for whatever is the main 4:25 games those weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Facts...wishful thinking...even a daytime week 2 or week 3 would meet my demands to get that over with and on the same page what we really dealing with...as much as I respect the need to develop Howell, we can't protect him from the 8th hardest schedule in the league...so if we trying to make the playoffs, let skip the pleasentries, please...

3 hours ago, samy316 said:

We probably get just one primetime game against an NFC East team this year.  Either Eagles or Cowboys.  I’m betting it will be a MNF game.  We play a couple of teams out west this year, so we’ll have some 4:25 games, but not the coveted main doubleheader game.  Our games out west will probably be the undercard for whatever is the main 4:25 games those weeks.

The late games that aren't the national game of the week are usually played at 4 or like 4:15 or something. The big game is played at 4:25.

Eff man, I want NFL season to start already. Just four more months....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

The NFL is really being tight lipped on the release of the NFL schedule this year. Have they even released the preseason schedule yet? 

Its usually released after the draft. I think this year they were waiting on the big QB moves like Rodgers and Jackson. You don't wanna schedule the Pack on national TV only to watch Jordan freaking Love.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its usually released after the draft. I think this year they were waiting on the big QB moves like Rodgers and Jackson. You don't wanna schedule the Pack on national TV only to watch Jordan freaking Love.

Supposed to be this Thursday night but Peter King was on Florio's show this morning and said it may be delayed.

33 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I'm hearing that it will be released on Thursday. 

One interesting thing about the schedule this year, there are no more mandatory primetime games for all teams.  There will be teams with no primetime games this year.  Keep that in mind for this team, maybe we don’t get any primetime games next season after all.  We’ve got to be one of the least interesting teams going into next season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, samy316 said:

One interesting thing about the schedule this year, there are no more mandatory primetime games for all teams.  There will be teams with no primetime games this year.  Keep that in mind for this team, maybe we don’t get any primetime games next season after all.  We’ve got to be one of the least interesting teams going into next season.

Don't everybody get at least one Thursday night game? 

4 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Don't everybody get at least one Thursday night game? 

Not anymore.  After last year’s lineup of Thursday Night games (including our barn burner- HAHA) against the Bears, the bad teams might get shut out of their obligatory Thursday Night games.  It makes sense, because those TNF games last year were awful.  No more bad teams in primetime will catch steam.

I wouldn’t be shocked if TNF games are flexed starting in 2024 or 2025.  Amazon has to do something to improve the scheduling of those TNF games they’re paying billions for.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

We will 100% get at least one primetime game this year. I think we get two minimum. I don’t think they will necessarily be “marquee” primetime games, but I think at least 2. 

And that has a lot more to with sheer numbers than it does us being interesting or not. With a season-worth of TNF, SNF, and MNF alone to fill— it’s going to be filled in with a number of middling teams— often against pretty good teams so you get a fairly compelling match-up. For example, Commanders v. Any NFC East team is a safe bet probably over the first 7-9 weeks of season at a minimum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

Not anymore.  After last year’s lineup of Thursday Night games (including our barn burner- HAHA) against the Bears, the bad teams might get shut out of their obligatory Thursday Night games.  It makes sense, because those TNF games last year were awful.  No more bad teams in primetime will catch steam.

I wouldn’t be shocked if TNF games are flexed starting in 2024 or 2025.  Amazon has to do something to improve the scheduling of those TNF games they’re paying billions for.

Not getting a Thursday night game would be a good thing, I'll bet the players and coaches would very much like that.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

+1 on this; supposedly they were targeting a May 11 announcement, but the Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson threw everything into chaos.  Now they're reworking everything to get the Jets and Ravens into more primetime games.