Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Schedule Rumors, Leaks, Mocks, etc.

kleese

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-announces-five-games-for-2023-international-series

at least not going over seas this season 

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

The NFL will want to give Aaron Rodgers and Jets a easy(on paper)game to start the season. 

Week one

Washington commanders @ NY Jets

HTTR 

Very true and very likely… it will be us or they will play the Texans to open their season at home 

Edited by Command The 414

Based on the Thanksgiving leak, here is Mock 2.0… this is also accounts to make sure no conflicts with the announced overseas games. 

Sunday, September 10th: at Falcons (1pm) 

Sunday, September 17th: Dolphins (1pm) 

Sunday, September 24th: at Seahawks (4:25pm) 

Sunday, October 1st: at Rams (4:05pm) 

Monday, October 9th: Eagles (8pm) 

BYE 

Sunday, October 22nd: Bills (1pm) 

Sunday, October 29th: at Giants (1pm) 

Sunday, November 5th: Cardinals (1pm) 

Sunday, November 12th: at Jets (1pm) 

Sunday, November 19th: Bears (1pm) 

Thursday, November 23rd: at Cowboys (4:25pm) 

Sunday, December 3rd: at Broncos (4:05pm) 

Monday, December 11th: Giants (8pm) 

Sunday, December 17th: 49ers (1pm) 

Sunday, December 24th: at Patriots (1pm) 

Sunday, December 31st: Cowboys (1pm) 

Sunday, January 7th: at Eagles (TBA) 

3 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

How is possible when the Lions had the AFC opponent last year?  Dal@ss is getting the AFC opponent, most likely the Jets or Patriots @ home on Thanksgiving this year

That is an old practice… they generally have stuck to it but there have been exceptions in recent years to that rotation. As a matter of fact from 2014-2016 no AFC teams were involved in the Thanksgiving afternoon games at all. 2018 no AFC teams either. The addition of the night game seems to have altered that. 

• Thanks 1

Jets/Dolphins will be the Black Friday game. Could potentially shatter ratings records.

16 minutes ago, kleese said:

That is an old practice… they generally have stuck to it but there have been exceptions in recent years to that rotation. As a matter of fact from 2014-2016 no AFC teams were involved in the Thanksgiving afternoon games at all. 2018 no AFC teams either. The addition of the night game seems to have altered that. 

Yep just heard Sheehan repeat that fact too. I think now that networks are no longer restricted to specific conferences there is going to be a lot more freedom and flexibility with what games are shown on each station. Since the NFC is lacking QB star power after Philly I could see CBS getting more of the big time matchups this year, but then FOX getting more the year after once Brady becomes their A team commentator.

26 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

How is possible when the Lions had the AFC opponent last year?  Dal@ss is getting the AFC opponent, most likely the Jets or Patriots @ home on Thanksgiving this year

In recent years, they have done all NFC games on Thanksgiving for both the Lions and Cowboys games, regardless of network.  I could see Commanders-Cowboys on Thanksgiving.  The Jets are an attractive option for Thanksgiving, since they go to Dallas this year, but that game looks like an SNF game, or an early season 4:25 Doubleheader marquee game.  The only other teams that go to Jerry's world outside of the NFC East are the Patriots, Jets, Lions, Rams and Seahawks.  The Eagles and Giants games will probably be on SNF or MNF, so our game against them would fit better for Thanksgiving.  You could put any team in that slot against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, and it will deliver big time ratings.

Edited by samy316

35 minutes ago, kleese said:

Based on the Thanksgiving leak, here is Mock 2.0… this is also accounts to make sure no conflicts with the announced overseas games. 

BYE 

Normally how ever we do 1 season in division it’s the opposite the next… i.e our 1st game with Philly last season was home, and the 2nd game was up there, same with Dallas, we played first there then closed out here… so if it holds true we will play Dallas home 1st and Philly on the road 1st and Giants home 1st and then there etc…. So that schedule you posted is more then likely not accurate 

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

Normally how ever we do 1 season in division it’s the opposite the next… i.e our 1st game with Philly last season was home, and the 2nd game was up there, same with Dallas, we played first there then closed out here… so if it holds true we will play Dallas home 1st and Philly on the road 1st and Giants home 1st and then there etc…. So that schedule you posted is more then likely not accurate 

I don't think there is any real rhyme or reason to that. It'd be impossible to organize in that fashion for every team every year.

Chiefs schedule is starting to leak. They play the Bengals New Years Eve. Also play the Dolphins Week 9 in Germany, so that rules the Dolphins out as a Week 9 opponent for us(and probably 10 also since they'd likely be on a bye).

Not knowing, but do other divisions always end with a fury of in division opponents each season?

I know we are unique in that there has rarely been back to back division winners this century in the NFC east so didn't know if that was a part of it.

41 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Not knowing, but do other divisions always end with a fury of in division opponents each season?

I know we are unique in that there has rarely been back to back division winners this century in the NFC east so didn't know if that was a part of it.

Yeah, pretty much. That was something the league initiated a couple of years ago. It didn’t used to be like that.

3 hours ago, kleese said:

BYE 

I want the broncos game i. September or october so i can go. My sister lives in denver and was going to visit and go to the game if it was when i was able to go

1 hour ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

With new ownership incoming (here's hoping) it's possible this could get a boost in the amount of exposure this team gets on the national stage.  I'm thinking more than the 2 prime games they got last year.  

Not likely for this season.  Rivera is still our coach and we didn't really move the needle at all with our free agency moves/draft like the Jets and Saints did.  Our QB situation is still one of the worst in the league, so that right there limits us from getting a decent amount of primetime games.

5 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

They used to only have that rule of alternating AFC/NFC opponents because it satisfied the TV contracts of CBS/Fox (i.e. they each got a game, and they got Dallas/Detroit in alternating years).

The NFL has been loosening the AFC/NFC split of the contracts for a while now-- I think a 49ers-Cowboys game was on CBS in the past few years, and the announcer even made a joke about sticking around for "Murder She Wrote," after the game.  That AFC/NFC split is completely gone this season-- any game can be on any network, so the NFL is no longer beholden to forcing certain matchups on Thanksgiving.

8 hours ago, samy316 said:

Not likely for this season.  Rivera is still our coach and we didn't really move the needle at all with our free agency moves/draft like the Jets and Saints did.  Our QB situation is still one of the worst in the league, so that right there limits us from getting a decent amount of primetime games.

Despite finishing 8-8-1 last year, we aren't  top tier nor a bottom tier team.  We are just a mediocre 7-8 win team. If Ron finishes the season, that will be his final record. 7-10 or 8-9.  We are the 4th best team in the division.   Besides the rest of the nfc east; Detroit, Minny, New Orleans, Seattle and San Francisco- despite questions at QB if Purdy can't play early.

Beasts of the East? Never.  The last 2 times we made the playoffs as NFc east winners, the rest of the division collapsed.   That isn't happening. 

So, the nfl isn't going to give us more than 2 games on national tv.  If we surprise and do well, we could always get flex into a better timeslot.

7 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Despite finishing 8-8-1 last year, we aren't  top tier nor a bottom tier team.  We are just a mediocre 7-8 win team. If Ron finishes the season, that will be his final record. 7-10 or 8-9.  We are the 4th best team in the division.   Besides the rest of the nfc east; Detroit, Minny, New Orleans, Seattle and San Francisco- despite questions at QB if Purdy can't play early.

Beasts of the East? Never.  The last 2 times we made the playoffs as NFc east winners, the rest of the division collapsed.   That isn't happening. 

So, the nfl isn't going to give us more than 2 games on national tv.  If we surprise and do well, we could always get flex into a better timeslot.

Ron rivera is the greatest coach ever.

Bill Belichick, pfffffff that raggedy bum ain't got nothin on Ole Ronny.

When he retires in 25 years josh harris is going to erect a 100 foot tall statue in his honor symbolizing the greatest era in sports history.

I hear the blueprints are already made and a mock up is in the works.

3 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

I saw an alleged leak that has the Chiefs opening the season against the Lions.

It's been confirmed:

Packers @ Lions at 12:30PM on Thanksgiving Day has also been confirmed.  I think we'll be the 4:30PM game against the Cowboys, but still waiting confirmation.