Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Schedule Rumors, Leaks, Mocks, etc.

kleese

Things will be quiet now for quite awhile on the schedule front— usually don’t get a whole lot for the next couple months. 

We do know that we will won’t be playing the opening Thursday game. I’d also guess pretty strongly that we won’t play Philly week one. I imagine Eagles will slot into one of the marquee Sunday slots against a marquee opponent. 

The “mock bug” will hit in April, see you then. 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:57 AM, Warhead36 said:

Eagles are slated to play at KC in 2023. Could be a season opener...

Chiefs have a loaded home slate with Eagles, Bengals, and Bills… Dolphins and Chargers also playoff teams playing in KC next year. Again, traditionally they don’t like to “burn” a huge match up on the opener but considering the Chiefs have so many marquee games it wouldn’t surprise me if Eagles or Bengals were opener. If league wants to go more conservative and save those games, Chargers or Dolphins could fit pretty nicely into opener. Perhaps Raiders if they land Rodgers. 

21 minutes ago, kleese said:

Chiefs have a loaded home slate with Eagles, Bengals, and Bills… Dolphins and Chargers also playoff teams playing in KC next year. Again, traditionally they don’t like to “burn” a huge match up on the opener but considering the Chiefs have so many marquee games it wouldn’t surprise me if Eagles or Bengals were opener. If league wants to go more conservative and save those games, Chargers or Dolphins could fit pretty nicely into opener. Perhaps Raiders if they land Rodgers. 

I could see the Broncos actually being the opening opponent. They were bad this year so it wouldn't be considered burning a marquee matchup in that respect, but they just hired Sean Payton and still have Russel Wilson who has name recognition, and Broncos/Chiefs is one of those flagship historic matchups. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, kleese said:

For me it’s a no brainer… Chiefs have to open against the Bengals…. For so many reasons, arguably the 2 best QB’s in the NFL at the present time plus this is slowly becoming a huge rival specially for teams that aren’t in the same division…. And let’s be honest the last 2 seasons their games between each other have been very close and very intense…. So the NFL needs to make this the opener of the season…. At worse make it a SB game again with the Eagles, any other teams besides the Bengals or Eagles is/would be a huge let down imho

• 2 months later...

Well, next up on the schedule is the 23 schedule release.  Currently projected to be around May 11.

I doubt we get more than one or two national games. Probably a divisional game and maybe the Jets matchup now that Aaron is there. Networks will want as many national Jets games as possible, even against dregs like us.

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Well, next up on the schedule is the 23 schedule release.  Currently projected to be around May 11.

I doubt we get more than one or two national games. Probably a divisional game and maybe the Jets matchup now that Aaron is there. Networks will want as many national Jets games as possible, even against dregs like us.

Every team plays a Thursday Night game. We were on the road for Thursday Night last year so perhaps we get a home one this year. 

That and a Monday Night game against a division rival again. Maybe the Giants.

59 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Every team plays a Thursday Night game. We were on the road for Thursday Night last year so perhaps we get a home one this year. 

That and a Monday Night game against a division rival again. Maybe the Giants.

Actually, wasn’t that rule broken last year and not every team played on a Thursday.

With Thursday flexing that is supposed to happen, maybe this year, for late season games; that will change.

If we get a Thursday game, bet you it’s the Jets game.

I predict we get two “pity” primetime games, one against the Eagles in Philly on Monday night, and one on the road on Thursday night against the Jets at the Meadowlands.  We’re a mid team, with no really interesting players or a QB in the eyes of the media, so they’ll treat us as such this season.  I wouldn’t be shocked if we only get one primetime game overall, which is now the least amount you can have in one season with the new TV contract deal.

As for any 4:25 games, we’ll only play at 4:25 at the Broncos as an undercard to a more marquee game.  Same with our games at the LA Rams and Seattle Seahawks.  The rest of our games (including games against the Cowboys, Giants, Bills and Dolphins) will be 1PM games this season.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

Actually, I don’t care how many national games we get. We aren’t a draw. If we have a surprising good season; we probably get flexed into prime time.

Isn’t Monday night flexing happening this year?

We know they want to flex for late Thursday games for Amazon but don’t think that’s been passed yet but it’s bound to happen.

After 2-3 years post Ron, under the new ownership; we should be good enough to get some prime/national matchups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think most of the national games will be afc heavy. Honestly, after the Eagles what does the nfc have? San Fran is a question mark with Lance. Purdy might not be ready to start opening game.

Afc just has more attractive games.

That’s definitely true.  The NFC is severely lacking in marquee franchise QB’s outside of Jalen Hurts.  The Cowboys and 49ers get primetime games just off of team name recognition, so those teams will have several.  The Packers just lost Aaron Rodgers, so they won’t be getting 5 primetime games anytime soon.  I think FOX might have some AFC doubleheader 4:25 games this year, like CBS has had 4:25 doubleheader NFC games the last several years.

Edited by samy316

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually, wasn’t that rule broken last year and not every team played on a Thursday.

With Thursday flexing that is supposed to happen, maybe this year, for late season games; that will change.

If we get a Thursday game, bet you it’s the Jets game.

Jets vs the Eagles, Dal@ss or even the Giants is much more attractive than this team.  This team will probably get a prime time game vs the division and maybe vs a team outside of the division like last year vs the Bears

I think one of our national games is at home simply to introduce the new owners.  I figure the Thursday game is either Miami or Chicago at home.  I think it will be Chicago (big market).

Our Monday night game I think will be either at Seattle or at Dallas.

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I think one of our national games is at home simply to introduce the new owners.  I figure the Thursday game is either Miami or Chicago at home.  I think it will be Chicago (big market).

Our Monday night game I think will be either at Seattle or at Dallas.

We played Thursday Night at Chicago last year. The league will probably want some variety. Miami would be a good pick though.

I would just like to say I hate prime time games and prefer as few as possible so I'm fine with that.  Give me 1 PM Sunday except when we're playing an away game on the west coast

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

So that would rule out us playing the Bears, Chiefs, or Patriots in those weeks. 

Was looking forward to a potential trip out there for Oktoberfest and some Commanders Football. Ah well...

We've opened at home three years in a row, so I think we open on the road this year. My guess is some boring matchup like the Falcons or Rams.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

So that would rule out us playing the Bears, Chiefs, or Patriots in those weeks. 

Was looking forward to a potential trip out there for Oktoberfest and some Commanders Football. Ah well...

We've opened at home three years in a row, so I think we open on the road this year. My guess is some boring matchup like the Falcons or Rams.

It maybe boring  it’s probably either an outright loss or a last second come from behind win.

You know the team will come out flat. Just because EB is there won’t change the character of Ron’s team. 

Well, I'd say it's time for the Mock 1.0!.... I say 1.0 because it's possible I will screw up the original and post a conflict about something that's already been released/rumored. And maybe between now and the actual release we will get some credible leaks that can then produce a 2.0 and beyond...

Some notes: 

--I definitely don't think we will be on the radar for a bunch of marquee spots. I think there is a SMALL chance we get an early season SNF game, but more likely we don't. I think we'd get maybe one featured 4:25 start, but that could be a stretch as well. I think you can lock us in to probably two MNF games and likely a standard TNF appearance. We do play in a marquee division and have a few other marquee opponents, so I could see us sliding into a primary spot sort of as the "other" team once or twice. 

--Three west coast trips this year which is out of ordinary. Teams make scheduling requests all the time... It's typical request is for East coast teams to request back to back games if they play multiple WC games. I would imagine we've made that request. These requests are not always answered of course. Also, Seattle, Denver, and Los Angeles are all kinda spread out--- it's not like we play the Rams and Chargers or the Raiders and Niners, where it makes even more sense. 

--Also important to note the league is pushing for more and more flex ability on the schedule starting this year... so late season games can move even more easily than before. 

--I've thought it through and I just don't see us getting a marquee slot week 1. We know the Chiefs will open the Thursday kickoff game. And Dallas is basically always featured as well. I assume the new tradition of both networks showing a DH week 1 will continue as well. I think Philly for sure winds up either in the 4:25 or on SNF. I think if Philly wound up on SNF we could POSSIBLY be the Cowboys opponent at 4:25-- it's a "safe" week 1 game that will do just fine in terms of interest/eyeballs -- and it allows the league to save the Giants and Eagles for Cowboys later. So I am picking us to have a cast away game week one at 1pm, but I do think the 4:25 possibility exists-- but ONLY if it's Dallas or if we happen to play a WC game week one. 

--I don't think the ownership situation will factor much into our schedule, but if it does, it would only increase odds for more exposure. With Snyder gone and our name changed, there really won't be any negative nonsense swirling around us or potential for the narrative to turn embarrassing. And you'd think FedEx will at least be presentable on TV in terms of attendance. 

Here goes... 

Sunday, September 10th: at Falcons (1pm) 

Sunday, September 17th: Dolphins (1pm) 

Thursday, September 21st: at Giants (8pm) 

Sunday, October 1st: at Rams (4:05pm) 

Monday, October 9th: Eagles (8pm) 

BYE 

Sunday, October 22nd: Bills (1pm) 

Sunday, October 29th: at Cowboys (4:25pm) 

Sunday, November 5th: Cardinals (1pm) 

Sunday, November 12th: at Jets (1pm) 

Sunday, November 19th: Cowboys (1pm) 

Sunday, November 26th: at Seahawks (4:25pm) 

Sunday, December 3rd: at Broncos (4:05pm) 

Monday, December 11th: Giants (8pm) 

Sunday, December 17th: 49ers (1pm) 

Sunday, December 24th: at Patriots (1pm) 

Sunday, December 31st: Bears (1pm) 

Sunday, January 7th: at Eagles (TBA) 

Over the last five seasons we've averaged at least two primetime games per year.

2018-Thanksgiving at Cowboys. MNF at Eagles.

2019-MNF at Bears. TNF at Vikings

2020-Thanksgiving at Cowboys. SNF at Eagles(flexed in).

2021-TNF vs. Giants. MNF vs. Seahawks. SNF at Cowboys(flexed in IIRC).

2022-TNF at Bears. MNF at Eagles.

So safe bet we'll get a couple primetime games. The vast majority of these have been on the road, but I think we're due at least one at home this year. Probably the Thursday Nighter. No way do we get a Sunday Night game, as the only ones we've gotten have been games that were flexed in mid season. Monday night is a good possibility. Also at least one of these games is almost always against an NFC East opponent(2019 being an exception).

If I had to guess I'd say we'd get a MNF against a division rival and our TNF will be against a team like the Dolphins.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

There’s really nothing on this team grabbing a national audience, so we will get the limited amount.

Our opponent will be the reason for airing the game, so likely at least one nfc east matchup.

This.  I think we end up with close to the minimum amount of primetime games, because we're not a sexy team as far as star players and QB.  We're also projected to have a bad to mediocre record next year, so any primetime games we get will probably come against the NFC East.  Maybe we get a TNF game against the Jets or Dolphins, but other than that, I think we'll get 1 MNF game and 1 TNF game.  No SNF games of course.  That's reserved for the good teams with star QB's.

Edited by samy316