Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Schedule Rumors, Leaks, Mocks, etc.

kleese

I serve two purposes at ES these days… I start the playoff tracker thread every year and this one. I don’t care much for mock drafts, but I LOVE mock schedules and all things schedule-talk. It’s my favorite part of the off-season— it trumps the draft and FA for me. Schedule chatter is where it’s at. 

NFL does a pretty good job of keeping that info locked down until the final hours before release (which is May now, when it used to be March). But there are often things we can glean/predict based on the rules, past history, logic, etc. 

Of course the network schedule/agreement is and will always be, attached at the hip to how the schedule is produced. Now more than ever there are specifically slotted windows for the various networks that opens the door for more opportunities for games to be scheduled on days/times that did not exist in the past. 

No mock schedule can be taken seriously (yes I just used “serious” and “mock schedule” in same sentence) until the Super Bowl is over and the majority of off-season moves have been made. Obviously Green Bay’s schedule will look vastly different if Rodgers is somewhere else in 2023– just one of many examples of how off season moves can and will alter scheduling. 

Here are a few things we KNOW going into next year that will be new for 2023:

—Sunday Ticket moving to YouTube TV. Shouldn’t affect much in terms of how games are laid out, but this is a major major change for the NFL. 

—MNF is eligible to be flexed next year for first time. It doesn’t take effect until later in season (can’t remember which week) and I’m not positive if it will require longer than the normal 12 day period for a change to be announced. So if your team has a MNF game later in season I’d make your plans accordingly with knowledge it could move— same for all late season games— a Sunday game could move to Monday now. 

—NFL will have the first ever Black Friday game. Not sure if it was announced if it would be afternoon or evening, but there will be a game the day after Thanksgiving after what I presume will be the traditional slate of three Turkey Day games. 

Things we can already safely assume: 

—NFCE will be all over the national calendar next year. It’s already always a featured division, but with three teams in the divisional round and the last place team 8-8-1 and a playoff contender into January, the NFL is absolutely going to shove the NFCE down everyone’s throats next year. 

—No indication the tradition of SB champ hosting first Thursday will change. 

—No indication the trend of late season Saturday games will change. 

—As always we can assume the 4:25 weekly primary game will remain the TOP broadcast window, followed by SNF. Early afternoon, MNF, and then TNF fall in line from there. 

—Overseas host teams were announced: Patriots, Chiefs, Bills, Jags, Titans. Notice all AFC teams— this is due to the AFC getting the extra home game next year on the new rotational basis. 

So, what do we know regarding Commanders schedule. Well, we know who we play: 

Home: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Bills, Dolphins, Bears, 49ers, Cardinals.

Away: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Patriots, Jets, Falcons, Broncos, Rams, Seahawks. 

What stands out now: 

—Potential for a minimum of three late afternoon starts at Broncos, Rams, and Seahawks. Unless any of those games are at night (unlikely for Thursday based on how NFL generally schedules travel for Thursday) those will be late afternoon kickoffs for obvious reasons. That would be the most we’ve been scheduled for in awhile— plus any other late kicks that could be scheduled. 

—All three division teams still alive. If any of them win the SB (gulp) we would be eligible to play them on road in opening Thursday game. None of our other road opponents are still alive. 

—Keep an eye on Patriots in Germany. I think we will be on a short list for that game. The Pats host the Bills and Chiefs next year and both of those teams also host an overseas game. The NFL also has traditionally NOT played division games over the pond— so that would also eliminate the Jets and Dolphins from consideration. The Pats host the Saints as well and they were sent over last year so that seems unlikely. That leaves us, the Eagles, Colts, or Chargers as possibilities. Any could fit, but it’s been awhile since we’ve been and we’ve only been once— I think we will be in running for that game for sure. Would be a slight benefit I suppose to lose a tough road game and have it turned neutral. 

—I don’t think it will matter much, but new owner could prompt the NFL to be a little more willing to put us out in more big TV windows. 

—If we have a “quiet” off-season and roll with Howell, I think we will be treated like a moderately interesting team to feature— right in the middle. I’d expect 2 MNF games, MAYBE a SNF game early in season against a marquee opponent, the typical Thursday game, and perhaps they will drop us in a 4:25 primary spot against Dallas or Philly or Giants somewhere in there. I think you will see us featured slightly more on the schedule this year than the last few years but not to the level of the marquee teams or the other East teams. 

That’s what I got for now, will update thread as more info trickles in. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I’m thinking we open on the road this season. I’d guess Atlanta.

And if a certain guy buys the team *jeff*, I can see a primetime week two game vs a divisional opponent.

First home game post Snyder + divisional opponent can make for an electric atmosphere. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blanka said:

I’m thinking we open on the road this season. I’d guess Atlanta.

And if a certain guy buys the team *jeff*, I can see a primetime week two game vs a divisional opponent.

First home game post Snyder + divisional opponent can make for an electric atmosphere. 

A sale finalized this spring will absolutely provide an attendance/energy boost. I don't necessarily think it would equal sell-outs, but I do think numbers would go up, energy would be renewed, and in general interest will increase--- at leas to start the season. 

Now, our home schedule is still full of likely opposing-fan-takeovers. I think this is going to continue to happen even after a sale and even if we have a new stadium. I think it will be somewhat of DC standard moving forward. Although new owner + success would mitigate it to a certain extent. 

• Like 2

I hate prime time games.  Hell, if I had my way we'd start every game at 1 pm

the way the NFL schedules us those three away west coast games will probably be nightmares.  We'll probably get the Seahawks on Thursday Night. It will be after their bye.

21 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I hate prime time games.  Hell, if I had my way we'd start every game at 1 pm

Agreed 100%.  I hate waiting for late games.  When the game is over at 4ish I can re join the family, do dinner etc.  Everybody's happy.  4-7 is chaos in my house, and the night games I'm half asleep by halftime.  Guess I'm just getting old. 

Ironically, when I went to college on the west coast, I hated that games started at 10 am bc I was out all night partying.  Now, I would love for 10 am games.  Be done by 1 and have a lot of the day still ahead of you 

Here is to all 17 games Sunday at 1 pm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Home: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Bills, Dolphins, Bears, 49ers, Cardinals.

Away: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Patriots, Jets, Falcons, Broncos, Rams, Seahawks. 

If I made the 2023 schedule:

Week 1: @Jets

Week 2: @Giants

Week 3: 49ers on SNF- We get this game because of SF.

Week 4: Bills on MNF- We get this game because of Buf

Week 5: @Seahawks

Week 6: @Patriots in Germany

Week 7: Bye

Week 8: Eagles

Week 9: @Cowboys on MNF

Week 10: @Eagles

Week 11: Cardinals

Week 12: @Rams on TNF

Week 13: @Broncos

Week 14: Bears

Week 15: Dolphins

Week 16: Cowboys

Week 17:@Falcons

Week 18: Giants

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Are we due for @Cowboys on Thanksgiving again yet?

Won't be this year. Cowboys and Lions alternate between an NFC and AFC opponent. Cowboys played an NFC opponent this past season so they'll play an AFC one this year(either Jets or Dolphins, both juicy matchups).

On 1/20/2023 at 12:34 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Week 1: @Jets

Week 2: @Giants

Week 3: 49ers on SNF- We get this game because of SF.

Week 4: Bills on MNF- We get this game because of Buf

Week 5: @Seahawks

Week 6: @Patriots in Germany

Week 7: Bye

Week 8: Eagles

Week 9: @Cowboys on MNF

Week 10: @Eagles

Week 11: Cardinals

Week 12: @Rams on TNF

Week 13: @Broncos

Week 14: Bears

Week 15: Dolphins

Week 16: Cowboys

Week 17:@Falcons

Week 18: Giants

Legit shot at 0-9 here

On 1/20/2023 at 10:41 AM, Warhead36 said:

Won't be this year. Cowboys and Lions alternate between an NFC and AFC opponent. Cowboys played an NFC opponent this past season so they'll play an AFC one this year(either Jets or Dolphins, both juicy matchups).

That used to be the case, and they still lean that way but they’ve made exceptions in recent years. For example from 2014-2016 the Lions and Cowboys played ONLY NFC teams. The addition of the Thanksgiving night game has seemed to get the NFL away from feeling the need drop an AFC team in an afternoon slot.  Cowboys host Jets and Pats next year; I would think Jets could be in line for that game. That said, I think we could always be in running. 

On 1/19/2023 at 8:14 PM, KillBill26 said:

Thanks for the info, good stuff.  I dont think I've ever seen anyone think about the schedule as much as you 😂

I take this as a compliment even though I shouldn’t….

On 1/19/2023 at 10:18 PM, madden lot said:

I do. Talking about the schedule is better than watching a nba games.

I love the NFL schedule AND I love the NBA 

• Haha 1

Heading into the Super Bowl, we are still alive to potentially be the opening Thursday game next year. If the Eagles win, we’d be in the running potentially for the opener. And I still think we should keep an eye on being Pats opponent overseas. 

35 minutes ago, kleese said:

Heading into the Super Bowl, we are still alive to potentially be the opening Thursday game next year. If the Eagles win, we’d be in the running potentially for the opener. And I still think we should keep an eye on being Pats opponent overseas. 

Even with a new owner; NFL isn't opening with us @Philly. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 10:03 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Even with a new owner; NFL isn't opening with us @Philly. 

Remember, in general, the NFL has treated opening Thursday some years much the way they treat Thanksgiving games— they don’t necessarily want to burn one of their top match-ups in a spot where they know the ratings will be through roof regardless. 

For example, the pre-Mahomes Chiefs opened at Patriots, the Texans opened at Chiefs, and Falcons opened at Eagles all in recent years. Last year, the league passed on having the Cowboys or 49ers potentially open at Rams and instead went with Bills, who aren’t quite the draw/story the other two would be. 

I think the goal for the NFL there is to put out a very solid match-up but not necessarily an A+ one. If Philly wins, I’d be surprised if the Cowboys were their opener. Maybe the Giants. Maybe us. Maybe a team like Vikings, etc. 

Edited by kleese