Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam's Club: The Legend of Samuel Howell Thread

LetThePointsSoar

18 hours ago, mistertim said:

Of course not. My understanding was that the conversation I was quoting was about Brady. On Carr I pretty much agree. I think he's a good QB but I'm not convinced he'd be worth $50+ million per year.

It was indeed about Brady. Who nobody will be paying $40M next year. He’s 46 for Christ’s sake.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Howell may have the tools to be the guy for this team, but will they be able to find an OC who believes in him as well

We seem to be careening in a direction where "I believe in him" is only way to get an interview, even it's a lie.

Like, I'm not convinced Jay really believed he could save Griffins career, more I think about it.

Never worry, it will be Zampese anyway, and his reputation will be on the line to make it work with Howell as his former QB coach.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

"Likely" be Howell in 2023. Meaning, we probably aren't going to be able to acquire a quality vet and we don't draft high enough to land a top notch rookie.

I still think we can get a decent OC though. We have weapons at WR and RB that should entice someone. Plus, any ambitious OC might be looking at it like "Man if I can turn a 5th round pick in Sam Howell into a quality QB, I'll have my pick of HC jobs in 2024 regardless of what happens to Rivera in D.C." 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

11 hours ago, zCommander said:

You are wrong. Brady has always played on a team friendly contracts. Winning super bowls is more important to him. 

Brady is going to earn an annual salary of around $15 million in 2022. This salary is fully guaranteed under his current contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

And you think we even have a remote chance of winning a Super Bowl next year?

Edited by allannis
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

"Likely" be Howell in 2023. Meaning, we probably aren't going to be able to acquire a quality vet and we don't draft high enough to land a top notch rookie.

I still think we can get a decent OC though. We have weapons at WR and RB that should entice someone. Plus, any ambitious OC might be looking at it like "Man if I can turn a 5th round pick in Sam Howell into a quality QB, I'll have my pick of HC jobs in 2024 regardless of what happens to Rivera in D.C." 

If we shore up our offensive line I think we’ll make progress over this year. Good pass blocking can make a mediocre/decent QB look great if he has some weapons (which like you pointed out we do). Dak Prescott’s first few years starting where he built his reputation is a good example of this. 

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Don't most OCs go into a situation where there's already a QB?

Of course....usually three or four in the beginning, maybe even drag one of their own in like Scott/Heinicke. My point being the OC would usually have a say in who runs the plays he installs the best. Is that not the case? I get it if the OC gets to town and he has a Vet QB getting serious money. 

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Of course....usually three or four in the beginning, maybe even drag one of their own in like Scott/Heinicke. My point being the OC would usually have a say in who runs the plays he installs the best. Is that not the case? I get it if the OC gets to town and he has a Vet QB getting serious money. 

I think deciding who the QB is is more of the head coach's job, though obviously if it's up in the air the OC will have input. My point is that it's probably pretty rare that an OC gets a new job with a team and they say "ok you get to pick your QB". Usually there's either already an incumbent QB1 or the GM/HC will have a guy who they think is their #1.

If Ron thinks Howell can be the guy it would make sense for him to find an OC who can get the most out of him vs an OC who would come in and butt heads over it.

I just don't see the situation as that odd.

• Like 1

On the contrary, most OCs are *looking* for situations where there’s a starting QB already in place.

It’s good communication to let candidates know “we have a young guy we believe in.” It will attract OCs who also like Howell and have / will craft a system to maximize Howell’s skill set.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

On the contrary, most OCs are *looking* for situations where there’s a starting QB already in place.

It’s good communication to let candidates know “we have a young guy we believe in.” It will attract OCs who also like Howell and have / will craft a system to maximize Howell’s skill set.

This is how I see it as well. Howell might be an unknown but at least you know who the guy is that you gotta start designing an offense for. And its not like he won't have weapons. The WR trio is probably top 10, if not top 5 in the league. The RB duo is solid with the potential to be even better. OL and TE need work for sure, but those are positions that can definitely be addressed in FA and the draft. 

11 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

So you're going to tell your new OC that this is your QB....have fun. Not sure that would entice me that much. Did I miss a joke in here somewhere?

To me it is the opposite. A potential QB1 who has been with the team for 1 year is better to mold to what you want to do with them instead. Already has some starting games experience (including the pre-season as well) rather than seeing the QB you pick become a bust instead. And if for some reason it doesn't work out then you can say hey I am going to get my QB in the pretty good QB class of 23 in the 24 draft. I think it is an ideal situation to be in. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 3

I'm less concerned about the OC being in a situation where the QB room is decided versus the type of system and even what input they will have on their staff.

Making the case OCs want an established QB is true and fair, but thats not our situation.  Have to expect this is a situation the OC is going to be judged on a young QBs development, and while we've seen that go south before because of refusal to accept it was a doomed cause going in doesn't mean this will as well.

• 2 months later...

Hey. It's been awhile. But with Dan almost assuredly (I won't truly believe until the ink is dry) selling the team, my unofficial boycott looks to be at an end.

Hope the new owners do something about the team name, as it basically sucks. But this is about Sam Howell.

I think I like him. I went and watched some film, and a couple things stood out. He has a big arm. I think most of us are aware of that. But he has a big arm.

The other thing is how mobile he is, and tough he is to bring down. Seriously. He breaks tackles and has a lot more twitch than you would think. He jukes the 1st guy, and then he runs over the next dude. He probably needs to learn how to slide at this level, but I like the mentality. And he is a real threat as a runner.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Hey. It's been awhile. But with Dan almost assuredly (I won't truly believe until the ink is dry) selling the team, my unofficial boycott looks to be at an end.

Hope the new owners do something about the team name, as it basically sucks. But this is about Sam Howell.

I think I like him. I went and watched some film, and a couple things stood out. He has a big arm. I think most of us are aware of that. But he has a big arm.

The other thing is how mobile he is, and tough he is to bring down. Seriously. He breaks tackles and has a lot more twitch than you would think. He jukes the 1st guy, and then he runs over the next dude. He probably needs to learn how to slide at this level, but I like the mentality. And he is a real threat as a runner.

Welcome back

18 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Firstly, welcome back for sure. 

Secondly, I can’t believe @Koolblue13 hasn’t already landed here to tell you his is the Official QB thread :ols:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Firstly, welcome back for sure. 

Secondly, I can’t believe @Koolblue13 hasn’t already landed here to tell you his is the Official QB thread :ols:

Hey man, not every thread is a QB thread now. It really organized the board. I started it, because I always hated talking about QBs :ols: 

Now I like it. It's not easy chasing cats. 

24 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

'Cuz he's a slacker. :rofl89:

Hey! I'll have you know that I'm currently skipping the Caribbeans biggest St Paddys day parade to work on a couple old trucks and I'm completely sober except for a few beers, some rum for the busted knuckles and some mushrooms. I should be half naked, pained green and soaking wet dancing on top of a parade float right now. Slacker.

and it is the official QB thread. Don't **** around.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The Harem of Howell?

Howell No, that's Taylerable. Howell about Sam's Club?  :ols: 

Howell about town folks are talking bout SamWows Pals and the SammyHoBros!

55 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I'm the slacker. You just showed up, popped into the Official QB thread that was started by me Saint KB and started talking to everyone like we drafted him this morning. :ols:

Slacker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm the slacker. You just showed up, popped into the Official QB thread that was started by me Saint KB and started talking to everyone like we drafted him this morning. :ols:

Slacker.

Pfft. Just reminding everyone that Sam is more mobile than he is usually given credit for.:bunny: