Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam's Club: The Legend of Samuel Howell Thread

LetThePointsSoar

9 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

"Sam's Club"?...

No No No GIF

Isn't that like Costco? lol....He deserves better.

Lol don't blame the messenger, it was direct from the GameDay thread. Not my doing! 😂

9 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Really the only name that should have been considered IMHO. 

Costco is light years ahead of Sams....Dungeness Crab, Ahi Tuna, Clams, Prime whole Brisket. Love me some Costco!

No DOUBT. Have a Costco Prime full packer going on the smoker Saturday for Sunday playoff football. 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Lol don't blame the messenger, it was direct from the GameDay thread. Not my doing! 😂

No DOUBT. Have a Costco Prime full packer going on the smoker Saturday for Sunday playoff football. 

Love it....hit it with love every hour and it will be awesome. What wood are you using?

1 minute ago, tmandoug1 said:

Love it....hit it with love every hour and it will be awesome. What wood are you using?

Hickory for me. Always hickory.  Mix of a local beef rub, MC The Gospel and Hard Core Carnivore Black.  Let it ride until about 175 IT, foil boat it until it probes like butter and rest that bad boy for a minimum of 2 hours in the cooler. 

(chef's kiss) 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Howell left quite a taste that probably left us begging for more and that locker room has got me jacked up even more.  This real question is whether this coaching staff can really harness his talents and this is where I have my doubts.

I read this in Ralph Finnes voice from the Menu...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Hickory for me. Always hickory.  Mix of a local beef rub, MC The Gospel and Hard Core Carnivore Black.  Let it ride until about 175 IT, foil boat it until it probes like butter and rest that bad boy for a minimum of 2 hours in the cooler. 

(chef's kiss) 

Wrap it in a towel in a cooler until it hits 147.......back to original programming!

• Thanks 1

This is not about any value judgement of the merits of Sam Howell.

Rather I was wondering whether Sam was able to retrieve the ball he threw to McLaurin for the TD during the Washington's first possession of the 1st quarter of the Washington-Dallas game.  As I recall, it looked like Terry tossed that ball off into the stands, as part of his own TD celebration.

I ask, because it seems like that ball would have some sentimental value to Howell because:

1.  That was Howell's first pass in his first NFL start

2.  It was also his first completed pass.

3.  It was also his first TD pass.

I hope they were able to retrieve the ball -- because all three of those things don't happen on the same ball for a rookie QB. So I was really surprised when McLaurin tossed the ball up into the stands.  I hope they can somehow get THAT ball back to Howell.

Likewise, a QB's first rushing TD is often given back to the player for his memento cabinet.  Not sure what happened there.

Maybe Terry knew Howell doesn't collect those kind of "momento footballs" to commemorate his achievements.   If that's the case then McLaurin gave some random fan got a very nice souvenir that could appreciate in value should Howell become a significant starting QB for Washington.

Edited by Wyvern

Howell looked the part much the way Heinicke looked the part

Much the opposite how wentz didn’t look the part

supposedly he’s smart and has a better arm than Heinicke 

I liked what I saw. Draft a mid round qb, 3-5, so we have two and infest in the oline and depth for the people leaving next 2 years 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Rather I was wondering whether Sam was able to retrieve the ball he threw to McLaurin for the TD during the Washington's first possession of the 1st quarter of the Washington-Dallas game.  As I recall, it looked like Terry tossed that ball off into the stands, as part of his own TD celebration.

I ask, because it seems like that ball would have some sentimental value to Howell because:

I hope they were able to retrieve the ball -- because all three of those things don't happen on the same ball for a rookie QB. So I was really surprised when McLaurin tossed the ball up into the stands.  I hope they can somehow get THAT ball back to Howell.

Likewise, a QB's first rushing TD is often given back to the player for his memento cabinet.  Not sure what happened there.

Maybe Terry knew Howell doesn't collect those kind of "momento footballs" to commemorate his achievements.   If that's the case then McLaurin gave some random fan got a very nice souvenir that could appreciate in value should Howell become a significant starting QB for Washington.

Yes they got the ball back.  They were able to negotiate with the fan in exchange for a different football signed by Howell.  Terry released after the fact on the sidelines that he should have kept that one lol.

• Thanks 1

Someone did this in the game day thread, I used to do this after the game...thought I'd do it again on this thread.

Cowboys fans' comments during the game:

"WC rookie qb embarrassing Dak. He is just so much more accurate and has Not even played since preseason"

"How the heck is a rookie (QB) and rookie (WR) completing timing patterns? I’m jealous"

"Howell just did it perfectly. Dak NEVER makes passes that Howell just made."

"Howell looks good. I know that's not a positive for us but still."

"Howell looks so much better than Dak. I wanted the Cowboys to draft him this year, but guess Jerry didn't want to hurt Dak's feelings."

"I've seen Howell throw more passes where the receiver was able to catch it in stride and get YAC in this game than I've seen from Dak all season."

"We would all take this Howell kid to play next year!! How freakin sad is that! Better accuracy, spreads ball around, can run when needed, and just flat out better!"

"Jerry is paying Dak 40 Million a year to get outplayed by Sam Howell making his 1st ever start hahahahahahaha"

"I wish we had drafted this qb. We need one."

"Your 2023 league MVP QB Howell for the skins"

"LOL rookie QB trucked Diggs for the TD. Ugh..."

"Howell ran that like he was Jerome Bettis in his prime."

"Howell has 35 yards rushing. Dallas has 40 rushing yards."

"14 outplaying 4 by a LONG shot. Embarrassing. One has 40M. One doesn’t. Hmmmmm"

"Howell making Dak look like a JV QB"

"Can we trade dak for Howell"

"This freaking rookie is out playing dak by a mile. How sad."

"Sam Howell and Washington are beating a playoff team with something to play for who is playing their starters. Impressive."

• Like 6
  • Haha 7
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

I really like how Sam played Sunday.

I’m officially excited.

Teams always talk about “man I’d love to draft a rookie and sit him the whole year, give him a chance to learn without pressure, mature, and work on his game.” 

We’ve now done that with arguably as talented a guy we’ve had since Kirk or RG3. It’s the best situation we’ve had in quite a while.  I’m all on board with letting 14 compete to start next year. 

Invest heavy on OLine and let’s Go. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, tshile said:

I liked what I saw. Draft a mid round qb, 3-5, so we have two and infest in the oline and depth for the people leaving next 2 years 

It's nice to hear my philosophy preached by others. I haven't done the scouting of college qbs yet but I'd look for accuracy, intelligence,  leadership and mobility over arm strength and size. I'm also trying to track tangible things like 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives as I think they may tell more about how they perform under pressure. 

7 hours ago, Wyvern said:

They got it back. I'd guess McLaurin was so excited to get led into a reception where he could run for six that he totally forgot that Howell was a rookie. Dude was fired up.

6 hours ago, tshile said:

My plan:

Howell

Vet Backup (Brissett?)

Rookie (Haener, Hooker, Duggan?)

Fromm

I believe you need four QBs on your roster at all times. One for the PS. Three to learn your system. Injuries happen far too often and you need to have guys ready to get in there and compete.

I'd also be okay skipping the rookie and adding a cheap low end vet (similar to Fromm) if you get the vet backup (Brissett).

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Someone did this in the game day thread, I used to do this after the game...thought I'd do it again on this thread.

Cowboys fans' comments during the game:

"WC rookie qb embarrassing Dak. He is just so much more accurate and has Not even played since preseason"

"How the heck is a rookie (QB) and rookie (WR) completing timing patterns? I’m jealous"

"Howell just did it perfectly. Dak NEVER makes passes that Howell just made."

"Howell looks good. I know that's not a positive for us but still."

"Howell looks so much better than Dak. I wanted the Cowboys to draft him this year, but guess Jerry didn't want to hurt Dak's feelings."

"I've seen Howell throw more passes where the receiver was able to catch it in stride and get YAC in this game than I've seen from Dak all season."

"We would all take this Howell kid to play next year!! How freakin sad is that! Better accuracy, spreads ball around, can run when needed, and just flat out better!"

"Jerry is paying Dak 40 Million a year to get outplayed by Sam Howell making his 1st ever start hahahahahahaha"

"I wish we had drafted this qb. We need one."

"Your 2023 league MVP QB Howell for the skins"

"LOL rookie QB trucked Diggs for the TD. Ugh..."

"Howell ran that like he was Jerome Bettis in his prime."

"Howell has 35 yards rushing. Dallas has 40 rushing yards."

"14 outplaying 4 by a LONG shot. Embarrassing. One has 40M. One doesn’t. Hmmmmm"

"Howell making Dak look like a JV QB"

"Can we trade dak for Howell"

"This freaking rookie is out playing dak by a mile. How sad."

"Sam Howell and Washington are beating a playoff team with something to play for who is playing their starters. Impressive."

This is awesome. Judging by this Dallas might be talked into trading their entire draft plus next years 1st rounder for Howell. Lol

• Haha 7

Who would be the best offensive coordinator for Sam Howell

Based on Howell's college career and his style of play, it's possible to make some educated guesses about which offensive coordinators and teams would be a good fit for him.

A coordinator that is experienced in running a Pro-style or West Coast offense would be a good fit for Howell. These types of offenses emphasize quick decision making, precise passing and the ability to read defenses, all of which are strengths of Howell.

An offensive coordinator that has experience working with mobile quarterbacks would also be a good fit, as Howell has decent mobility and can make plays outside of the pocket.

One example of an offensive coordinator that would be a good fit for Howell is Eric Bieniemy, the offensive coordinator of Kansas City Chiefs, who has experience working with mobile quarterbacks and runs a system that emphasizes passing, and has a lot of play action.

Another example would be Joe Brady who is the offensive coordinator of Carolina Panthers, he comes from the NFL, his system is based on the Air raid and RPO that, prioritizes quick decisions, quick release, and multiple receiving options. He also has experience working with mobile quarterbacks.

It's important to note that the best offensive coordinator for Sam Howell will depend on the team's needs, the specific system and the offensive coordinator's philosophy and experience as well as the quarterback's skillset, and it will ultimately depend on the fit and how the coordinator can adapt and use Sam Howell strengths.

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Another example would be Joe Brady who is the offensive coordinator of Carolina Panthers, he comes from the NFL, his system is based on the Air raid and RPO that, prioritizes quick decisions, quick release, and multiple receiving options. He also has experience working with mobile quarterbacks.

Brady is currently QB coach for the Bills.  Was OC for LSU when they won the natty, also has experience with the saints under Sean Payton.  If there is a panthers retread to have, he is the one.  I'd be thrilled with that, although his last season in Carolina was pretty uninspiring.   30th in offensive yards per game.  We can blame that on Darnold tho.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:38 AM, kingdaddy said:

You're probably right....there's a fine line though, for example, the Jets OC is saying that Zach Wilson would've benefitted from not playing as soon as he did. Maybe Howell sitting, watching and learning was the best thing for him in the long run? Let's hope. 

Zach WIlson is also an entitled douchebag who was more worried about being a douchebag than being a QB. Wilson's failure is on himself alone. I'm sick of people calling these guys "kids" whenever they do a bunch of immature ****. If you want to make big boy money, you have big boy responsibilities.

On 1/9/2023 at 4:31 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Nope. I am a full on Slut for Sam.

I evacuated my Bowels for Howell.

I'm a Skank of Sam

I want Sammy in my Bammy

Lets go for SaHo!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Zach WIlson is also an entitled douchebag who was more worried about being a douchebag than being a QB. Wilson's failure is on himself alone. I'm sick of people calling these guys "kids" whenever they do a bunch of immature ****. If you want to make big boy money, you have big boy responsibilities.

I evacuated my Bowels for Howell.

I'm a Skank of Sam

I want Sammy in my Bammy

Lets go for SaHo!

download (5).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 9:44 PM, tmandoug1 said:

Sorry to derail the thread again, but I'm still learning about smoking brisket.  What does "hit it with love every hour" mean?   Probably going to try my first one this weekend as well.

@LetThePointsSoar and @tmandoug1 please offer your input too if you have any good tips!