Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam's Club: The Legend of Samuel Howell Thread

LetThePointsSoar

There are a lot of dominoes yet to fall when it comes to the oncoming offseason when trying to figure out the plans for the 2023 season.

The question is if the new owner takes over and retains the entire coaching staff, offering them a "show me" season for 2023, will Ron feel confident making that season Howell's first as a starter or will he attempt another win now with a vet QB route and throw all his marbles in that bucket?

He had a good game. I liked what I saw.

I refuse to go ga-ga over it tho. Especially since we had a monster run/pass disparity and our D was so dominant it scored as many points as it gave up.

If we end up without a clear-cut QB1 this offseason and we have to go the QB competition route he gets the oppo to be one of the contestants. That's about where I am with him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BALLz said:

Imagine if Howell was leading the Red Wolves

I plan to Howl when he throws a TD next year jus to see what happens or if folks beat me to it...

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

These threads are the kiss of death. Shoulda just stayed in the QB thread, since he's about to be our only QB.

Your thread served its purpose...no way I'm gonna agree with having a catchall multi-year QB debate thread...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Can't wait to see the reactions when he has a couple duds in a row.  We'll see how excited everyone is then.

Easy to be excited about a guy who beats Dallas in his first career start.

We have such limited experience here with successful development of young QBs that it's inevitable but irrelevant, imo.

Sam Howell is like Drew Brees, except he's taller, younger, faster, and isn't Drew Brees.

He's also very like Josh Allen. He runs fast, he has an arm stronger than Colt McCoy's, and they're both not Drew Brees.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

I think he looked so good it’s a shame we had such an ass hat at oc to try and downplay how good he truly was. When you only get 19 chances to throw, and most of them were on a 3rd and long, after your oc decided to call two runs in a row, and you still looked that impressive, then you might just be “the guy.”

if we f this up, I swear to God I’m going to stop watching football altogether because it’s a sign the big man upstairs don’t want me watching it. 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

He had a good game. I liked what I saw.

I refuse to go ga-ga over it tho. Especially since we had a monster run/pass disparity and our D was so dominant it scored as many points as it gave up.

If we end up without a clear-cut QB1 this offseason and we have to go the QB competition route he gets the oppo to be one of the contestants. That's about where I am with him.

See the issue I have is our coaches obviously can’t evaluate crap. So they’ll put another Fitzpatrick/smith/wentz in and say the veteran “won” the competition, but jus cause someone looks good in practice don’t mean crap. Wentz probably looks great in practice. Look how he did

• Like 2

The real temptation with Sam as QB1 is freeing up a ton of salary by starting a rookie contract at QB.  We have players to resign and needs to fill.  It will be easy for management, whoever that ends up being, to talk themselves into the idea.  Maybe he’s the guy and maybe he had one good game where his arm let him hit guys after he saw them open.  We’ve seen games like this before and the only way to know is time.  

Then again if a new owner comes in there’s no telling what they’d do.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just goes to show you the coaching staff was wrong with the 'he isn't ready' line. He should have been playing once Wentz got hurt.

Let's ride with him next season with Taylor as QB2. Sink or swim, we'll figure it out. Worst case scenario, we can take Caleb Williams with our top pick if he fails.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Just goes to show you the coaching staff was wrong with the 'he isn't ready' line. He should have been playing once Wentz got hurt.

Let's ride with him next season with Taylor as QB2. Sink or swim, we'll figure it out. Worst case scenario, we can take Caleb Williams with our top pick if he fails.

You're probably right....there's a fine line though, for example, the Jets OC is saying that Zach Wilson would've benefitted from not playing as soon as he did. Maybe Howell sitting, watching and learning was the best thing for him in the long run? Let's hope. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We have such limited experience here with successful development of young QBs that it's inevitable but irrelevant, imo.

Well that's the point.  I've long said it on here but I believe there will almost ALWAYS be a quarterback controversy here because we've been doing it for so long that we don't know any better.  I mean, going back to Billy/Sonny, it's practically in the blood of this fanbase.  3 Super Bowls, 3 quarterbacks.  

And not many here has patience.  You know as well as I do that if Trevor Lawrence were our guy, there'd be a large contingent of the fanbase screaming for his head after his first year.  Same for Josh Allen.

So yeah, let's see what happens when Sam Howell has a bad game or two, this place is going to cool off REAL quick.  And even if Sam comes in and anoints himself as the guy next year, there's still going to be a large "durrrr, 5th rounder, too short, durrrrr duuurrrr durrrrr" contingent who'll just never be happy.  

• Like 4

I don't know why Turner called such a conservative game to protect the lead.  I know the defense deserved the win, but IMO Turner should have given the rookie more experience against a good defense.  Perhaps they were training him to stay conservative and disciplined within the game plan, but I want the QB to develop the ability to run the score up on an opponent.

• Like 1

Just now, PlayAction said:

I don't know why Turner called such a conservative game to protect the lead.  I know the defense deserved the win, but IMO Turner should have given the rookie more experience against a good defense.  Perhaps they were training him to stay conservative and disciplined within the game plan, but I want the QB to develop the ability to run the score up on an opponent.

Because Scott Turner is incompetent

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And not many here has patience.  You know as well as I do that if Trevor Lawrence were our guy, there'd be a large contingent of the fanbase screaming for his head after his first year.  Same for Josh Allen.

When have we ever had a Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen type prospect, though, for comparisons sake?

A huge reason we have these controversies is because we haven't had one.  I donr count Giffin because he didn't have a route tree in college, while Lawerence was a superior prospect and Josh Allen took off too early to have some elongated multi-year push to remove him.

Bills were 10-6 in Allen's second season, he made pro bowl his third, Lawerence and now in the playoffs his 2nd season.  When's the last time we drafted a QB and by 2nd year over believed we were going to be just fine with him?

Edited by Renegade7

13 hours ago, BALLz said:

Imagine if Howell was leading the Red Wolves

Really the only name that should have been considered IMHO. 

2 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

"Sam's Club"?...

No No No GIF

Isn't that like Costco? lol....He deserves better.

Costco is light years ahead of Sams....Dungeness Crab, Ahi Tuna, Clams, Prime whole Brisket. Love me some Costco!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

He had a good game and one hell of an arm, can't wait to see him after teams get game tape and how adjusts.  He is better than Heinicke physically now lets see if his wonderlic score shines through when next year starts. I want him at to be at the best QB groomer there is, not in Miami Beach working on his cardio in a Miami Vice outfit!

How about some Oline this year!

Next Gen stat of the game: Sam Howell's 52-yard completion to Terry McLaurin had an air distance of 60.0 yards, which is the longest completion by a Washington quarterback in the Next Gen Stats era.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-18-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

*Not sure what the "Next Gen Stats" era encompasses, might just be the last 3 years lol...still, nice to see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2