Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam's Club: The Legend of Samuel Howell Thread

LetThePointsSoar

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

When have we ever had a Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen type prospect, though, for comparisons sake?

A huge reason we have these controversies is because we haven't had one.  I donr count Giffin because he didn't have a route tree in college, while Lawerence was a superior prospect and Josh Allen took off too early to have some elongated multi-year push to remove him.

Bills were 10-6 in Allen's second season, he made pro bowl his third, Lawerence and now in the playoffs his 2nd season.  When's the last time we drafted a QB and by 2nd year over believed we were going to be just fine with him?

Yeah, but people were still ready to run Dwayne Haskins out of here because he didn't light it up right away, even though there were plenty of reports/commentaries on how he might need some time.  

My point is that I think the fanbase wouldn't want Allen/Lawrence to get to year 2.  It's not a question of what they did in year 2 or year 3, it's the idea that this fanbase is so fickle and impatient that they wouldn't want to give someone like Lawrence or Allen a shot at a 2nd year after a questionable first year.  

I can't imagine the ****storm this place would be if we spent a 7th overall pick on a QB from Wyoming and then he threw 12 picks/10 tuddys in his first year.  This place would be calling him a bust left and right and that we still need to find another QB.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

People like to give credit to the players competing hard for TH. Well, it looked like everyone showed up for Sam yesterday. 

Ride with Howell for next year. Keep stacking the roster. 

When he ran it in, the entire team sprinted to the endzone to celebrate with him. Very cool to see.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

You know what-- it was worth dropping to the 16th pick.

Sam beat the Cowboys. This is a victory Monday. Our last one for a long time (unless the announcement that we have new ownership falls on a Monday :fingerscrossed:).

I am excited for Howell as a potential starter next year with a revamped O-line and a new OC creating an offense that utilizes his skill set.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Next Gen stat of the game: Sam Howell's 52-yard completion to Terry McLaurin had an air distance of 60.0 yards, which is the longest completion by a Washington quarterback in the Next Gen Stats era.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-18-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

*Not sure what the "Next Gen Stats" era encompasses, might just be the last 3 years lol...still, nice to see.

But in 2015, it began putting a pair of RFID tags from Zebra Technologies on the shoulder pads of every NFL player in order to track speed, field location, and movement patterns. Now, it also has sensors on the referees, first down markers, and end zone pylons.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-the-nfl-and-amazon-unleashed-next-gen-stats-to-grok-football-games/

Im sure you’ve heard of this, just weren’t aware that this was used for the next gen stats. 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

You know what-- it was worth dropping to the 16th pick.

Sam beat the Cowboys. This is a victory Monday.

I have made similar comments here before.  There is no draft pick we could have had in April, that would have made me wish for a different result yesterday.  

Yesterday is what I LIVE for as a fan.  A home blow out victory vs. the Pukes and all their fans filing out dejected.  

GLORIOUS

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

He had a good game and one hell of an arm, can't wait to see him after teams get game tape and how adjusts.  He is better than Heinicke physically now lets see if his wonderlic score shines through when next year starts. I want him at to be at the best QB groomer there is, not in Miami Beach working on his cardio in a Miami Vice outfit!

How about some Oline this year!

What was his Wonderlic?

EDIT: IT was a 34

Edited by method man

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, but people were still ready to run Dwayne Haskins out of here because he didn't light it up right away, even though there were plenty of reports/commentaries on how he might need some time.  

Haskins was a terrible prospect and giving bust vibes the second he got the field that were very very real and in hindsight accurate foretelling of him actually being a bust.

Saying we were too impatient with him when he actually was a bust doesn't make sense. He wasn't expected to be Trevor coming out of college, which was my point a second ago. Have we ever had a prospect like that before this century?

Haskins was the project that needed best case scenario because of many items like his maturity, we weren't that place, posters warned about that and even I was in denial about how much we needed to go right for it to go right here.

My point is that I think the fanbase wouldn't want Allen/Lawrence to get to year 2.  It's not a question of what they did in year 2 or year 3, it's the idea that this fanbase is so fickle and impatient that they wouldn't want to give someone like Lawrence or Allen a shot at a 2nd year after a questionable first year.  

Allen, maybe, but again, we've if we ever got a prospect like say Burrow coming in, you really think we'd run him out of tow year one?  I don't, folks have been begging for someone like that for long as I've been here with disclaimer they plan to be patient, don't expect that type of patience for Ramsey for Jason Candle.

I can't imagine the ****storm this place would be if we spent a 7th overall pick on a QB from Wyoming and then he threw 12 picks/10 tuddys in his first year.  This place would be calling him a bust left and right and that we still need to find another QB.  

The whole board or some of them?

Because there will always be some of them.  There's one or two posters right now going from thread to thread saying we have no talent on the team and trade as many of our players for picks as we can.  Always has been someone somewhere out there not knowing wtf they talkin about with Internet access, is what it is.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Haskins was a terrible prospect and giving bust vibes the second he got the field that were very very real and in hindsight accurate foretelling of him actually being a bust.

Saying we were too impatient with him when he actually was a bust doesn't make sense. He wasn't expected to be Trevor coming out of college, which was my point a second ago. Have we ever had a prospect like that before this century?

I think you're making my point for me here, especially in the bolded part.  

To your other point, no, we've never had a Trevor Lawrence prospect.  But, again, I can't imagine taking a QB that high with that reputation, having him throw 17 picks/12 touchdowns in the first year and people here preaching "patience."  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

People like to give credit to the players competing hard for TH. Well, it looked like everyone showed up for Sam yesterday. 

Ride with Howell for next year. Keep stacking the roster. 

IMO, it was (should) never have been about players competing hard, but rather him juicing them up.  I had some small concern that Howell might be too even keeled in this regard, but he was pretty fired up, lol.

Speaking of Howell, the thing that really got me about that performance - even though it’s just a tiny sample size - is the context.  He did it without relying on solid pass pro, incredible catches, lucky breaks (of course the team got some lucky breaks), a guy taking a short dump off or screen for a ton of yards, etc.  I’ll add that he did it handcuffed* by Turner’s run-centric play calling and a run game that wasn’t good until late, making it that much harder to get into a rhythm and putting him into a good amount of known passing situations.  I mean yes, Terry and Dotson are good receivers, I just didn’t really see this as Howell’s supporting cast making him look better than he would have otherwise.

*I think there’s a pretty fair argument that it was, in part, about Turner putting training wheels on Howell vs “handcuffing”.  Of course, I think there’s also a pretty fair argument that Turner’s a poor/questionable play caller, so… 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think you're making my point for me here, especially in the bolded part.  

It's called the "eye test", you know this : )

50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

To your other point, no, we've never had a Trevor Lawrence prospect.  But, again, I can't imagine taking a QB that high with that reputation, having him throw 17 picks/12 touchdowns in the first year and people here preaching "patience."  

No one?

Too pessimistic, but I understand where it comes from.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

It's called the "eye test", you know this : )

No one?

Too pessimistic, but I understand where it comes from.

In regards to the eye test, yeah man, I agree.  He didn't look good to start but there were some attributes to like. But that's the thing, people want to call guys busts if they don't ball out from game 1.  That's my whole point, this Howell love-fest is going to cool down real quick when he has some bad games and people are going to be wanting whoever QB2 is to get a shot.

Anyway, I am happy that Howell is the only QB under contract for next season.  I will be horrified if we get Derek Carr or some veteran.  I'd like to roll into 2023 with Howell and another draft pick and a Brissett type.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyway, I am happy that Howell is the only QB under contract for next season.  I will be horrified if we get Derek Carr or some veteran.  I'd like to roll into 2023 with Howell and another draft pick and a Brissett type.  

You know, I think this is exactly what this stupid coaching staff is planning to do.  What's the definition of insanity again?   Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?  This franchise has taken this approach for as long as I can remember.   I hope to GOD they change this offseason,  but I'm not holding my breath.  This franchise has an obsession with obtaining washed up veteran QB's......

6 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

You know, I think this is exactly what this stupid coaching staff is planning to do.  What's the definition of insanity again?   Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?  This franchise has taken this approach for as long as I can remember.   I hope to GOD they change this offseason,  but I'm not holding my breath.  This franchise has an obsession with obtaining washed up veteran QB's......

I'm hoping that this coaching staff isn't here to make that decision but you never can tell.  The upside is that Dan is going to be gone, thank goodness.  So while I don't expect the team to be sold by the draft/free agency I hope he's checked out to let football people alone to their own devices.  Much has been made of the Wentz decision, I still think Dan pulled the strings there and Ron covered for him for two reasons; first, Ron is a good guy.  Second, Ron wants to be perceived as in control of everything.  

I just don't want Carr or whatever veteran is out there unless they're a solid #2 backup and we're trying to develop Howell and/or another rookie.  I just don't want a veteran who's best days are behind him, that **** is no fun.

• Like 1

Sam Howell says it was ‘super cool’ to beat his favorite childhood team

The Washington Commanders, led by rookie quarterback Sam Howell, defeated the Dallas Cowboys Sunday, 26-6, to end the 2022 regular season. Washington finishes the season with an 8-8-1 record.

Howell completed 11 of 19 passes for 169 yards in his first career start, with a touchdown and interception. Howell also carried the ball five times for 35 yards and a touchdown.

After the game, Howell was excited about picking up a win in his first career start, and beating the Cowboys made it even sweeter.

Why? Because he grew up a Dallas fan.

“Yeah, I mean, I kept that from you all, all week long,” Howell said. “I did grow up a Cowboys fan, so it was super cool to play the Cowboys in my first start and beat them. My dad is a big Cowboys fan, so it was a cool moment for us as a family because we grew up Cowboys fans.”

It’s safe to say the Howell family will be rooting for the Commanders moving forward.

• Thumb up 1

@Spaceman Spiff You are conveniently ignoring a lot of context around Haskins that made him unlikeable from the start, even before he got regular snaps...1) Cooley's predraft eval that went viral, 2) Dan commandeering the draft room to take him, 3) the charging for tix to his draft party / Haskins & Haskins entertainment and 4) the reports of a poor work ethic. 

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Love this pic of "Big Bad Mutha Lovin'" Sam!

What I really like is that the lineman (Leno?) looks at least as happy as Howell.

Which kinda begs the question:

There must be something really off putting about Wentz because at no time during the year did I ever "feel" he had anything approaching this level of comraderie with the other players. Even when he won his first start.

Kinda sad really because he doesn't seem to be a jerk or anything. --shrug--

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

@Spaceman Spiff You are conveniently ignoring a lot of context around Haskins that made him unlikeable from the start, even before he got regular snaps...1) Cooley's predraft eval that went viral, 2) Dan commandeering the draft room to take him, 3) the charging for tix to his draft party / Haskins & Haskins entertainment and 4) the reports of a poor work ethic. 

I should have known bringing up Haskins was a mistake, we don't need to re-hash everything about him.  Bringing him up was a response to Ren7 who asked if we had a top flight QB prospect, unfortunately Haskins was the closest to someone we had like Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen.  But, fine, to your points:

2.  Just because Dan took command doesn't mean we should have held it against the guy.

3.  So?  

4.  So?

5.  Fine.  

But work ethic is something that can come along, it can be developed like anything else.  Sure, there are some things that made him unlikeable, but that doesn't mean we should all have been chomping at the bit to label him a bust from his first few games.  

I don't care whether or not if the guy was likeable or not, my overall point is that this fanbase is too quick to judge whether or not someone, especially a QB, going to be great or bad based off a very small sample size.  It's like a bunch of virgins at beach week looking at attractive women on the beach and pontificating how good they'd be in bed. 

6 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Next Gen stat of the game: Sam Howell's 52-yard completion to Terry McLaurin had an air distance of 60.0 yards, which is the longest completion by a Washington quarterback in the Next Gen Stats era.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-18-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

*Not sure what the "Next Gen Stats" era encompasses, might just be the last 3 years lol...still, nice to see.

HaHa. I said in the gameday thread that was the best deep ball by a Washington QB in a decade. I guess I was right. :)