Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam's Club: The Legend of Samuel Howell Thread

LetThePointsSoar

I'm not sure why Sam Howell doesn't get more respect. I get that he only started one NFL game but he had a pretty successful college career. He has plenty of talent around him and posses a very good NFL arm. Yes, he was drafted in the 5th round but I was shocked he fell that far. I consider this more of a steal than a reach. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I think he will be one of the better QB's we have had in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Hey. It's been awhile. But with Dan almost assuredly (I won't truly believe until the ink is dry) selling the team, my unofficial boycott looks to be at an end.

Hope the new owners do something about the team name, as it basically sucks. But this is about Sam Howell.

I think I like him. I went and watched some film, and a couple things stood out. He has a big arm. I think most of us are aware of that. But he has a big arm.

The other thing is how mobile he is, and tough he is to bring down. Seriously. He breaks tackles and has a lot more twitch than you would think. He jukes the 1st guy, and then he runs over the next dude. He probably needs to learn how to slide at this level, but I like the mentality. And he is a real threat as a runner.

I was trying to tell people this during the season. He's a video game glitch. I'm a UNC fan and Sam just about gave us a heart attack every game never sliding and challenging LB's head on but he just kind of slowly keeps gaining yards while he bounces off massive dude after massive dude. It was bizarre to watch honestly... Hard to explain but just watch this video and you will see what I mean.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NFC Beast1987 said:

I was trying to tell people this during the season. He's a video game glitch. I'm a UNC fan and Sam just about gave us a heart attack every game never sliding and challenging LB's head on but he just kind of slowly keeps gaining yards while he bounces off massive dude after massive dude. It was bizarre to watch honestly... Hard to explain but just watch this video and you will see what I mean.  

Julian Edelman at the QB spot. Yes please. 

Dual threat ability provides high floor and higher probability he can enter the 70% pool of NFL QBs at .5% or so of the cap. Ron appears to have the culture humming at a high level. 

It’s all coming together. Dream big! 

23 hours ago, KDawg said:

Where the **** were all these Howell lovers when I was taking live bullets last off-season? :ols:

This is where I was...

On 5/23/2022 at 2:44 PM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Been bit in the ass way too much by players with "potential" to want to take part in the overly-excited rhetoric anymore. I much preer talking about players who have already played and discussing the idea that they can improve (or won't improve) than go on and on and on about players--who have never set foot on the field--will obviously be exactly what we need them to be. I wait until at least training camp and preseason before starting to talk about how good (or bad) a rookie will be. Might be different if we drafted someone #1 or #2 overall, like RG3 and Chase Young...but other than that? Yeah, I find discussing if Cosmi, Davis, Brown, or--yes--Heinicke can and will improve from their first year with Washington more than assuming they won't and our latest batch of rookies will take over for them, just you wait and see...Love talking about Wentz, love talking about Heinicke, both good and bad. Howell? Not so much lol...get back to me in August.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I'm definitely not trying to protect myself from disappointment. It's more an issue of the hyped-up talk about newly drafted players has shown itself to be irrelevant to me enjoying following the team. Even when the hype is kind of tempered. I'm more curious than excited about our draft class...not because I think they were mediocre picks, far from it. But that curiosity can't be addressed until they start to actually play and practice.

And then I was here lol...

On 8/13/2022 at 2:22 PM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

My first time really watching Howell...I like his arm! Has to work on accuracy a bit but I really liked what I saw. I don't care who he was going up against. Heinicke could drop to #3, that's how much I liked his game lol. Howell definitely needs development, though.

I'm neutral on Howell, even though he seems to have all the physical tools, only because I've been burned before buying into our QB draft picks before they really proved it on the field, but I will say that as I was originally worried with the very guarded praise and backing of Howell by Rivera, the fact that they went out and signed Brissett on a 1 year deal, tells me they are actually backing Howell as the QB1 of this team at least for 2023 to prove himself.  I don't think you sign a Brissett caliber QB for any other reason than to push the guy in front of him, and your QB1 can't beat out Brissett in a competition then they are going back to the drawing board at the position next offseason anyway. 

Part of me is thinking they want to replicate what the Eagles did with Hurts, and give Howell the 2023 season to show he is capable of playing at a certain level, and then use next offseason to load up everywhere around him to make that big run in 2024 before they would have to worry about a contract extension.  

Edited by NoCalMike

On 3/18/2023 at 4:10 PM, SoCalSkins said:

Too busy eating nuggets and boneless wings. 

I consider those the same things.  Boneless wings are for children and toothless mother****ers.   Any adult should be eating wings off the bone IMHO.

I'll give a nod here to @Est.1974 on this point.  I wanted Brissett.  He was fearful that a player of his caliber wouldn't make it easy for Howell so wasn't sure it was the right player.  It's not that my mind has changed on this much but it has changed a little.  I still think Howell wins the job but the more I've absorbed Brissett, the more I can envision a tough QB camp battle.   Not because I am not high on Howell. 

I am jazzed about his potential.  But listening to the description of Brissett as a personality, I got little doubt that he will be a locker room rockstar and wonder how that dynamic plays out?

I liked Howell before the draft.  Not to the extent of @KDawg and @Koolblue13 who have been pumped that we got the next Mahomes.  But will see.:D

Brissett is the dude I wanted, #1 guy I wanted as a backup.  So I am happy about this QB room. 

I like the signing from the context of Howell in that I think he will provide him with a real push.   Heinicke IMO wasn't a real push.  But Brissett I think will bring out Howell's best.

The more I've absorbed Brissett post the signing, listening to Browns reporters, the only thing I fear from Howell's stand point is while I knew that Brissett was a good locker room guy, charasmatic guy -- I didn't know he was so off the charts on that count, including being a really funny dude, teammates love him and I'd say the description on that front sounds even a peg higher than "redacted". 

They dug his play too, it wasn't just his personality but the personality descriptions were off the charts. lol, i was listening to Hoffman for example talk to a reporter that he personally knew from the past talk about Brissett, that dude gushed, and then Hoffman goes that reporter is so cynical typically about sports that if Brissett got to him, then take it seriously. :ols:

I was listening to a national draft geek recently reference one of the current QB prospects, and he goes the dude is really quiet, but not like Sam Howell level quiet.  Howell I recall coming out of the draft's personality was billed depending on who was talking about him, quiet, I recall a scout saying strange but not bad strange.  None of it was bad but he definitely wasn't build up as a gregarious leader type of personality.  His old offensive coordinator said, not a leader type off the field but he leads by example on it.   Quiet but likeable,   

Now none of that struck me a big deal beforehand,  Whle liking the player, I did comment on the personality aspect of him when describing Howell before that draft.  And you don't have to be an extrovert to play the spot see Justin Herbert for example.  But it might be a little relevant now juxtaposed against supposedlly a QB with a ton of personality, extroverted, who can actualy play.  That is, if Brissett has a big camp.   If he doesn't its irrelevant.

Keim-and Bram talked yesterday that if one QB can outplay the other sometimes it causes strife in the locker room so they wondered how the Brissett dynamic would work i that happened.

But they both agreed it would make Howell earn the job and that's a good thing.  I agree.  Howell is a smart dude and has a reputation of working hard.  So giving him a bit of a fight in camp I think will bring out his best and he will likely win the job. 

Listening to Rivera explain further his take about the QB situatiion, he didn't say this is Howell's job.  He basically said he's the lead dog coming into camp.  It's his job to lose.  But it seems like its open that he can be beat.   I suspect though Howell will win the job and for Brissett to beat him, he would need to distinctly outplay him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think he's going to throw a ton of picks this year.

He was close in his preseason snaps. 

Gonna take a while to catch up with the NFL speed and smarts, but he will.

Because he won't be on the same page as Terry and Jahan and others? I don't see that happening since he will have more time to work with them this year. He is a very accurate passer and shouldn't have ton of picks though.