Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: From Wentz Will We Go (49ers)

KDawg

It's Christmas day. Not going to spend the normal amount of time putting this thing together.

Offense: Heinicke was fantastic in the first half. Held the ball on the Bosa sack, which is what I wanted last week. Made some big strikes when needed. I want to clarify, though. Fantastic as in the best he's been for us. Gritty. The second half he fell apart and made too many mistakes.

Wentz: Looked good. Didn't get sacked like many thought he was going to. NFL strikes and arm talent on display.

Samuel: Why did he shrug after the Wentz TD? Frustration that Heinicke was in for so long? Or did something go wrong?

Robinson: Love the way he runs.

Turner/Coaching/Rivera: Going for it on 4th and goal is one thing... though... take the points... but I can understand. But going for it in opponent FG range? Not a fan. Gibson running it on fourth down and goal? Whoever made that sub needs to have an intervention. 

McLaurin: Yeah, he's good.

Dotson: Yeah, he's good.

OL: Was there one on the field?

Defense:

Missing Curl hurt. I think he's a top 5 SS in this league and a top 2 most important player on this defense. Him being out hurt more than many really realize. I think he is the reason there are less coverage breakdowns when he's in versus when he's out.

Sweat was close a few times again today, but ultimately he's the pressure king but he just doesn't finish. Young in limited play made more of an impact on this game than Sweat has all season. I'm still in the trade Sweat this offseason camp. And no, not because I think he stinks. He doesn't. He's a very good player... but his return is going to be a bigger get for us than his production, in my opinion.

Defense didn't play great.

Studs and Duds:

*** - Daron Payne

*** - Terry McLaurin

** - Brian Robinson

** - Jahan Dotson (would be three but that big drop to start was tough)

** - Chase Young (good start to the comeback)

* - Curtis Samuel

It's Christmas. Not handing out duds.

Season to date:

* x 22 - Daron Payne

* x 21 - Terry McLaurin

* x 15 - Jon Allen

* x 13 - Jahan Dotson

* x 13 - Brian Robinson

* x 10 - Curtis Samuel

* x 8 - Darrick Forrest

* x 7 - Montez Sweat

* x 7 - Antonio Gibson

* x 7 - Jamin Davis

* x 6 - Benjamin St-Juste

* x 5 - Kam Curl

* x 5 - Kendall Fuller

* x 3 - Tress Way

* x 3- Dyami Brown

* x 3 - Back Judge in Vikings Game

* x 3 - Jack Del Rio

* x 2 - Chase Young

* x 2 - Joey Slye

* x 1 - Danny Johnson

* x 1 - Scott Turner

* x 1 - Rachad Wildgoose

* x 1 - James Smith-Williams

* x 1 - Jonathan Williams

* x 1 - John Bates

:( x 1 - Wes Schweitzer

:( x 1 - Jon Bostic

:( x 3 - Taylor Heinicke

:( x 3 - Cam Sims

:( x 3 - Entire OL (whatever iteration in Giants Game II)

:( x 4 - Scott Turner

:( x 4 - John Ridgeway

:( x 4 -Rivera's Clock Management

:( x 5 - Charles Leno

:( x 5 - Trai Turner

:( x 6 - Nick Martin

:( x 6 - WJ3

:( x 7 - Sam Cosmi

:( x 8 - Andrew Norwell

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

The final score didn't look it but this actually was a winnable game. In fact we were the better team through the first half. Unfortunately we against a quality team like the 49ers you have to capitalize on every opportunity and we didn't. Ultimately three plays doomed us:

The Dotson drop on the first third down. If he catches that good chance he scores since the DB was falling down and there was nowhere near him. I'm not gonna kill Dotson too much because he still had a great game, but man that one hurt.

Not scoring from 4th and goal. We had 1st and goal and ran a shotgun draw play every single time. Where is the freaking creativity Turner You know the two times we threw the ball later on we scored TDs. Not only do we not score, but the 9ers end up going on a 99 yard TD drive. Just a backbreaking sequence of events.

The third being not converting the 4th and inches from our own 35 ish yard line in the 2nd half. The 49ers scored a TD a few plays later and the entire game just snowballed out of control after that point. 

A shame really. If those three plays are different, who knows? But at the end of the day the offense couldn't score points and the defense got carved up a few too many times. Not having Curl and a healthy St. Juste(he re injured himself early on)cripples our back end coverage and Shanahan figured that out at halftime.

It was good to see Young return and play a really good game though. No sacks but he was all over the run game and blew up a screen as well as deflected a pass. 

5 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Since I didn’t see the game, does everyone feel Carson can win us the next 2 needed games based on what little they saw yesterday?

Could Carson win a playoff game?

Can definitely beat the Browns. Cowboys it'll depend on if they rest guys or not.

A playoff game? If its the Vikings its possible. 49ers don't see it.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Nice summary! Impressed how Chase looked. Coming off major knee surgery is no joke and he really didn't show any signs of the usual rust you'd expect! Im looking forward to see what we can do with Wentz, with a 0-0 game and 60 full minutes, instead of needing 10 or 17 or whatever it was in 1 quarter. Get to see if ST really didn't trust TH or if he's just a bozo. lol He's like TH in that he's pretty good between the 10's-20's, but at some point the stupid comes out. Hope we can put together something good for Cleveland then take it to the Pokes the week after! 

31 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Since I didn’t see the game, does everyone feel Carson can win us the next 2 needed games based on what little they saw yesterday?

Could Carson win a playoff game?

Well, he got thrown into a hornets nest needing max points in limited time. But he didn't do anything that said "oh ****, we're screwed". (least I don't think he did. I was drinking and smoking. lol) Imo, he looked quite good in the short/fast pass attack. As I said in previous post, I want to see him with a full game plan and 4 quarters. But there's no reason to think he can't get it done. I was happily surprised actually, since when he came in it was all but determined we were in a passing situation. He threw some grade A balls, moved the sticks, pretty TD pass, etc.  Hope it wasn't just adrenaline and they can rally here the last 2 games. Fingers crossed! 

Edited by GoDeep81
  • Like 1

Its not enough for your best players to simply be good, they have to make impact plays every once in a while.

Chase was wildly effective in his first game back and on limited snaps. Furthermore, it was clear that the 9ers O made sure they were aware of where CY was, and actively moved away from him in big situations. Not only was his play impactful, his presence was altering the opposing teams playcalls. They 49ers down-right respected the man.

If CY can bring that level of impact alongside how this D line has been playing all year, that position group could reach heights that are unheard of.

• Like 2

Good summary as always, coach. I'll add a few thoughts of my own.

I thought that the three players coming back from injury all did well, Young, St-Juste and Wentz. I also thought that Mayo did well after coming on (when Bostic got injured?), he was in on a lot of tackles.

We're developing a couple of really good players in Dotson and Davis, so props to the coaching staff for that.

I was confused with all of the O-Line changes, Cosmi was in and out several times, was this because of injuries?

Once again some of the play calling was questionable but I don't fault Turner for sticking with the run. He's got away from it too soon in the past and been called out for it. We just come up against a very good run defense although I was shocked that Henicke couldn't get a foot on the sneak.

Milne gets a lot of grief from our fans and while I do agree that he's just an average returner, he's got a safe pair of hands and doesn't make many mistakes which is a big improvement on our previous returners.

Curl was definitely missed.

Did TH get injured on the strip-sack? I thought I saw him holding his elbow or possibly applying an ice-pack. Either way, I really hope that Wentz starts against Cleveland with Howell as the back up.

Did they bring the heat on Wentz with the big lead? Or did they back off and let short ones go and play the clock? listened to some of game on radio in car travels, whole crew needs to be replaced, too many mistakes, no personalities, cannot get words out, could not figure out what was going on down on the field, what a total mess. 

Thought we were pretty shambolic overall, including coaching decisions. They scored 30 in the second half, could easily have been best end of 40. Wheels totally came off. 

I have a feeling Rivera would be happy to roll with Wentz in 2023. Bulk up the OL and retain Wentz.

Great write up Coach. I was reeling after that first half. To get all the way down to the 1-yard line and not get in?  You kind of knew that was going to come back to bite us in the ass.  But the play I disliked the most was going for it on 4th and 1. I mean I liked the idea of it, but not against the number one D in the league.  

Heinike played super well I thought in the first half, and while I do not fault him so much for the fumble, because our O line is, way below average, might even be overachieving in spots, it was that awful INT that sealed our fate.  I knew it was over.

I am shocked that we still have a chance to get into the playoffs. Can we win the next two with Wentz? I think we have a better opportunity with him then Heinke.  Wentz got the ball out quickly, and his throws had some power. 

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

I think Wentz would be another big mistake Rivera and the front office would make if they do.  Use the big money else were.

They wouldn’t have to pay him big money, they could lower his contract if they want to (I’d be against that though, i prefer a new QB altogether) 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Defense:

Missing Curl hurt. I think he's a top 5 SS in this league and a top 2 most important player on this defense. Him being out hurt more than many really realize. I think he is the reason there are less coverage breakdowns when he's in versus when he's out.

Mark Bullock doing his film review, focused a lot on this saying the coverage breakdowners were almost identical to the ones earlier this season when Curl wasn't on the field -- suggesting he's the glue to the backfield. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Great write up Coach. I was reeling after that first half. To get all the way down to the 1-yard line and not get in?  You kind of knew that was going to come back to bite us in the ass.  But the play I disliked the most was going for it on 4th and 1. I mean I liked the idea of it, but not against the number one D in the league.  

Heinike played super well I thought in the first half, and while I do not fault him so much for the fumble, because our O line is, way below average, might even be overachieving in spots, it was that awful INT that sealed our fate.  I knew it was over.

I am shocked that we still have a chance to get into the playoffs. Can we win the next two with Wentz? I think we have a better opportunity with him then Heinke.  Wentz got the ball out quickly, and his throws had some power. 

Why did Wentz get sacked 9 times in a game and could not get the ball out early before also losing his job.  You mean he is going to do this in real time?   The reason why we have a shot at the playoffs is because he was no longer the QB. He earned nothing to this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite the early and egregious drop, Dotson looked like a first rounder this game. If Phidarian Mathis, or whatever his name is, comes back from injury and performs, we may have hit on all first 3 picks. I was skeptical of Mayhew et al, but this is looking like a solid draft

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1