Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: From Wentz Will We Go (49ers)

KDawg

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I’m seeing a lot St Juste reinjured himself. After he got hurt, he definitely came back in. He was the guy beat on that long Aiyuk catch and run

He was back in but clearly wasn't himself and the 9ers took advantage of that, along with Curl being out, in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Did they bring the heat on Wentz with the big lead? Or did they back off and let short ones go and play the clock? listened to some of game on radio in car travels, whole crew needs to be replaced, too many mistakes, no personalities, cannot get words out, could not figure out what was going on down on the field, what a total mess. 

Going off memory it seemed like they blitzed more once Wentz came in, but I'll have to re-watch the game to be sure. He handled the pressure well and didn't take a sack.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Why did Wentz get sacked 9 times in a game and could not get the ball out early before also losing his job.  You mean he is going to do this in real time?   The reason why we have a shot at the playoffs is because he was no longer the QB. He earned nothing to this point. 

Again, just watching him, he seemed to get the ball out quicker, then other times I have watched him, where he literally just looked like a statue, seemingly unable to avoid them. He moved up in the pocket yesterday and had a quicker release.  You're not suggesting they start Heinike are you?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

People forget the OL was ravaged by injuries in that Philly game where Wentz got sacked 9 times. I think we were without at least three starters. Also Philly has the best front seven in the league and an outstanding secondary.

Are you saying Heinike did not have to deal with an injury ridden O line, when he started his win streak?  You think Philly has a better defense than San Fran?  And just thinking about it, Dak Prescott had his way with the Philadelphia, pass defense. That is a lot of points he put up against them.

Edited by skinsmania123

56 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Are you saying Heinike did not have to deal with an injury ridden O line, when he started his win streak?  You think Philly has a better defense than San Fran?  And just thinking about it, Dak Prescott had his way with the Philadelphia, pass defense. That is a lot of points he put up against them.

The OL restabilized some in the middle portion of the season when we put Larsen in at C and got a couple other guys back healthy. It was still bad I agree, but it wasn't complete garbage tier like it was early on(until Nick Martin played in the first Giants game...good grief he is awful). But Wentz didn't benefit from a healthy BRob at RB and a much improved defense(hopefully Curl and St. Juste can get back healthy for these last two games).

Philly's D has regressed a bit since then but Dallas also has a really strong OL and Dak is a good QB. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean you can't really celebrate when you're down double digits and getting your ass kicked. He's probably glad he can finally run routes with a real QB instead of having to run ten jet sweeps a game for 0.5 YPC. 

I thought he was frustrated because the DB went for his ankles instead and going what the **** man. But to each own I guess. 

Took me 4hrs to get home from the game, only just under 2 to get there.

I was pretty happy with the performance in the first half.  They had to play about as close to perfect as possible and outside of giving up the 70 yard rush to (not) Deebo Samuel, it was a good half of football.  I didn't like not taking the 3 points early, and I think there were missed opportunities that could have had us up at the half.

Then the 2nd half started.   Look, I know it looked rough out there, but the 49ers are a championship level roster right now.  This is what those teams do.  If you aren't on that level, sure you can hang for awhile, but they gave us a good look at the difference between a good defense that is still in the process of growing and upgrading the weaker spots and an elite defense that not only doesn't have any  "weak" spots, but who's depth can come into the game and not miss a beat.   One big issue with our defense right now outside of the D-line itself, is that it seems like any time a starter is not out on the field, whether it is an injury, a breather, a rotation, whatever....the drop off in play is dramatic.  I think for the first of the game, it looked like watching a mirror image of two teams built in a very similar way, however one of those teams is a couple offseasons ahead of us in their build. 

When I was sitting in my seats watching the team in the first half, the main thought in my head was frustration over how they looked against the Giants in the second game.  I still say, regardless of how these last 2 weeks play out, that loss to the Giants on SNF is ultimately what dooms this team should they fail to make the playoffs.  That was another prove it game for this franchise, and they reverted back to the same type of team we have seen too many times over the last 20 years which is a team that can crawl their way out of a hole with scrappy play, but as soon as they get a few eyeballs on the, and praise thrown their way, they fail to keep it going and fall right back into that familiar .500 team pack.

Was very enthused with what I saw out of Chase on the field. He was actually a lot faster than I expected in his first game back.  If these extra weeks are the reason he looked pretty good, then those extra weeks were well served for him.  Can't wait to see what he can try to put together for these next two huge games, and especially in his home debut and then against a division rival.  

Dotson is a stud, not only did he make big catches, but he was open a ton more. 

On the goal line stand where we failed to get in.  BRob took a bad angle and cut inside when if he bounced to the outside he is walking into the endzone or at the least he might meet some contact right at the goal line but it would have been one on one with a defender and I am betting on BRob in that scenario every time.

I thought Wentz looked fine when he came in, definitely flashed some of why he can potentially provide a spark to the offense in ways Heinicke can't, but he was put into the game so late that it is hard to make a full evaluation on what Wentz can or can't do with the current make up of the offense.

All in all, by the time the game kicked off I saw the results of the morning games and knew we' retained the 7th seed no matter what, so it took a lot of that fan-stress I likely would have had, and I was able to enjoy the game for what it was, a title contender educating everyone on the differences between them and a wildcard hopeful. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just looked up PFF.

Best score, Chase Young, just short of 90, so borderline great performance according to them.

Then Jeremy Reaves, Jamin Davis, Dotson, Samuel, Cosmi, Terry to them were the best players. 

Who were the worst?

I think we need to stop the Cosmi/Lucas platoon at RT and just go with Cosmi 

• Like 1

Nobody going to mention the whole “**** it, let’s go for it on 4th down at their 35 in the 3rd quarter with our micro sized qb and sieve of an offensive line against one of the best defenses in football” spaz moment?

Followed up by an immediate (and predictable) Kittle saunter through the park TD to commence the avalanche..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Nobody going to mention the whole “**** it, let’s go for it on 4th down at their 35 in the 3rd quarter with our micro sized qb and sieve of an offensive line against one of the best defenses in football” spaz moment?

Followed up by an immediate (and predictable) Kittle saunter through the park TD to commence the avalanche..

I was fine going for it and QB sneak even with a diminiuitive QB is typically high %. We just got beat. I'd have brought in Wentz to run the sneak or even Logan Thomas but remember Heinicke did score the game winner against Indy on the sneak so it has worked.

I had a bigger problem with the playcall on the 4th and goal and the three plays before it. Literally nothing but shotgun draw plays. So so so bad.

Thing is, I could almost see the going for it from the 35 thing in the 1st quarter. That would be kind of a "You know, we're outclassed today and need a bunch of stuff to go right son F it, I'm gonna throw the dice here" thing. 

But by that point in the game when it's still so winnable, it seemed really foolish. 

• Like 1

So for some reason I had a horrible habit of never looking at the jumbo tron between plays to watch replays.  There were two seemingly would-be INTs that ended up 49ers receptions.  One was I think....Davis maybe diving for one close to the ground and everyone in the crowd thought for sure it was an INT but it wasn't.  Then there was on by I think Reeves where he came up to press and had a 50/50 looking play where it ended up a reception.   

From watching it on TV and how many angles you probably got, how close were those to INTs?  Did they look more like missed opportunities by our players or just spectacular plays on the other side of the ball?

3 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

That whole sequence was just sad.  The call to go for it is one you can only make when you are absolutely certain you are going to get it.  Then Heinicke did the worst job selling it and executing it, almost like he was scared.  I’ll walk that back if someone can find the clip and show me otherwise (I looked on Twitter, couldn’t find it).

I do recall some on the GD thread had the audacity to suggest he made it, when it wasn’t even remotely close.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I was fine going for it and QB sneak even with a diminiuitive QB is typically high %. We just got beat. I'd have brought in Wentz to run the sneak or even Logan Thomas but remember Heinicke did score the game winner against Indy on the sneak so it has worked.

I had a bigger problem with the playcall on the 4th and goal and the three plays before it. Literally nothing but shotgun draw plays. So so so bad.

Fair enough.  My thinking was, it’s the 3rd quarter, still in the game.  Your defense is the best unit you have, give them the best chance to succeed.  You punt it to them and they score, so be it, they earned it.  

He obviously (? debatable I know) wanted a reason to put Wentz in so best case, punt, get the ball back and again give him the best chance to succeed.  Not after a gimme TD and now the train is off the tracks.

Agreed on the 4th and goal play calling.  You know your personnel limitations so again, play to your strengths.  Then, yeah, **** it, if it doesn’t work, they made the plays but you didn’t just seemingly concede. 

The whole qb circle jerk discussion is moot if neither is being utilized to their respective strengths and not put in unnecessary predicaments 

Edited by stoshuaj