Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

This would be easier to take if every goal wasn’t created by a US defender making a major mental mistake,  Three guys undefended in easy scoring position because their defender (in order) was caught jogging back, was ball watching, was defending the wrong player.  

Perhaps this is just what you have to expect with a very young team.  Mental mistakes.

• Like 4

Well, a step forward overall.  Back in the cup and out of group is a decent result.  With eyes on 2026, the goal should be to WIN the group and get to the final 8.  

I’d say we are tier 3 internationally but this group has the talent to get to the tier 2 level of teams like Netherlands, Morocco, etc in 4 years.

Just now, China said:

I like how the announcer said the Netherlands were set up for a date with Argentina, totally dismissing Australia as having any chance against them.

They have a chance... like a Dumb and Dumber chance. 

I expect a 3 goal difference for Argentina. Australia's best chance is to hope for a 0-0 draw and win on PKs.

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Alright well. Good moral effort see you all in 4 years where we can justify not being any good by saying it’s all about the next one

I came to the conclusion long ago that it will always be that way for US soccer.

But to be fair, it's that way for most countries.  In the history of the World Cup there have only been 8 countries to ever win it:  Brazil (5 times), Germany (4), Italy (4), Argentina (2), France (2), Uruguay (2), England (1), and Spain (1).  

Edited by China
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Destino said:

This would be easier to take if every goal wasn’t created by a US defender making a major mental mistake,  Three guys undefended in easy scoring position because their defender (in order) was caught jogging back, was ball watching, was defending the wrong player.  

Perhaps this is just what you have to expect with a very young team.  Mental mistakes.

The strategy is there to focus on defense while waiting for talent to show up as strikers.  We might not have good ones every world cup, but defense to me is more about effort then talent. 

And yes, young teams sometimes learn the hard way when it comes to playing defense.  I can accept talent deficiencies in context to American sports and talent allocation, but not effort.

Edited by Renegade7

22 minutes ago, China said:

I came to the conclusion long ago that it will always be that way for US soccer.

But to be fair, it's that way for most countries.  In the history of the World Cup there have only been 8 countries to ever win it:  Brazil (5 times), Germany (4), Italy (4), Argentina (2), France (2), Uruguay (2), England (1), and Spain (1).  

Don't worry, It took us 68 friggin years. In the mean time Brazil beat us in 1958 because we lost a player early to a broken leg and there were no substitutions allowed. Then we've been robbed twice by the MaFifa refs in 1978 vs Argentina and in 1982 vs Germany. Finally this stupid ass by the name of Zidane decided to headbutt Materazzi. We should have won 1958, 1982 and 2006, I think Dutch were better in 1978.

Edited by FrFan

US will never be able to compete on a world stage. All our best athletes are drawn to other sports. The US men's team is the best of the rest and it showed today against a much bigger and more skilled European team. It's like watching a team full of Taylor Heineckes. 

That said I thought they played well on the offensive side but really lacked discipline on defense. They should be proud of what they accomplished. 

• Like 2