Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

World Cup begins in less than a week.  After a 4 and a half year wait, the ultimate national team sports competition will begin.

USA will be in a group with England. Wales, and Iran... England will certainly be clear favorites, but it's hard to handicap the other 3.  I have never seen so much American talent in European leagues ever, but Team USA did not qualify strong and did not score much in their Friendlies.  

Every country is going to have their own story lines, but some of the main ones to follow are potentially Messi and Ronaldo's final World Cup... Ronaldo is 37 and Messi 35.  

Another storyline will be whether France can avoid the Champion streak of failing to get out of Group Play. 

Current FIFA rankings are: Brazil, Belgium, Argentina, France, England... in the top 5.  So these teams will be ones to follow closely... but there is always a surprise darling who makes the Knockout Rounds...

• Like 1

How about the story line of the world’s largest sporting event being given to a homicidal, human rights abusing nation, that bribed FIFA officials to get the bid.

Sportswashing of the highest order by a regime of horror. How about the thousands of deaths of poor non-Qataris that were coerced by the promise of more money than they’ve ever seen, only to be forced to work mad hours to build the stadiums and infrastructure, and live in squalor. 

I love the game of footy, and pray that my beloved Oranje May one day win The Cup, but I’m having massive misgivings about watching this. 

I probably will, but only the Dutch and USA matches.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I would like this thread to be for the competition rather the ethical discussion of corrupt FIFA and corrupt Qatar.  Hopefully we don't see corrupt officiating (rather it will likely be incompetent).  I understand there are huge concerns with the host nation...but it shouldn't take away from the competition and skill we see during the tournament.  

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think it will be a ****show. Not the games but you see the strict laws there; no way the attendees can follow them.

I think that will overshadow the actual games. As attendees one after another get arrested. Heck, even the players may get arrested if they run afoul of the laws there.

Yea...thinking Brazil World Cup in crack, truly exposing jus how ass backwards ghat country is.

Forget the fact US soccer team gonna get smoked on repeat, shoulda sent the Women's team instead...

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

USWNT Meme

Why are you in a world cup thread if you don't watch soccer? 

Really looking forward to this tournament, USA should make it out of the group, but the Wales game is a must win. Got to start off strong to put us in good position. A win gives us a good chance to qualify.

England is one of the most talented teams, but aren't playing well, so while unlikely it's possible to get a result against them.

My biggest concern is Aaron Long starting at LCB. 

Edited by MisterPinstripe

27 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Why are you in a world cup thread if you don't watch soccer? 

I'm in enough pain as it is having seen DC United play in person and seen what they've become the last two seasons.

And it hurt a lot when US team didn't even qualify for last World Cup (2018), because it was at a time I was trying to get more into soccer following our previous two entries (2014 and 2010).

Trying to think whether it was a year or two ago mens national team played in Chicago against Mexico and felt it might as well have been in Mexico, so I get why you question if I'm even watching.  I don't watch as much as others but don't feel need to prove that by bumping any us soccer threads that are usually on page infinity by time I want to ask questions. 

I checked out after that, felt if they broke that program down and rebuilt it like some folks recommended while accepting losing some of the best athletes in the country to other sports it would be noticeable next time they take a  World Cup stage.

So here we are...and why I'm in this thread.

As far as the USMNT, in my opinion, they are very talented, but extremely young. By far the youngest in the tournament.

Comparing this team to other USMNT teams of years past is apples and oranges. The majority of players in the squad are playing their club soccer in Europe, and some on top level teams. I call this the Klinsmann effect. He definitely got the national team headed in the right direction, at least in their development methods.

My biggest worry for the USMNT is Berhalter, and how he will fashion his side. His constant search for a true #9 has been sketchy, and I’m not sure he knows who his best XI are. For me, a good manager gets his best players on the pitch, and fashions his tactics to make the team excel. IMO, the best 11 players for the USA are: Turner (since Steffen is injured), Dest, Zimmerman, Ream, Jedi Robinson, Adams, McKennie, Musah, Weah/Aaronson, Reyna, Pulisic. No true 9 in that side, but I think Reyna could be a dangerous false 9, in the Bobby Firmino role.

I think Berhalter will start with Ferreira there, and may start Long over Ream, we’ll see. But, make no mistake, this team has talent. Every one of the 11/12 above, bar Zimmerman, play on a European side in one of the big 5 leagues. This team may advance to the knockout round, it may not. 2022 is not the year for these kids. Now, 2026? That’s a different matter. All these kids, and hopefully some defenders like CCV and Richards, will develop in to high quality regulars in Europe’s top leagues. In 2026 they would all be in the peak of their careers, and ready to do some damage internationally.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

@Long n Left

When I compare US to our group opponents, the one thing that worries me is quality finishing.  We saw this in the most recent round of friendlies.  We don't have a Dempsey type of "put it in the back of the net" player. 

I was looking at our group opponents... Iran has Teremi (their best), Azmoun and Jahakanbash. 

Wales has Bale (world class level) plus a couple of other capable Prem strikers. 

England, Sterling, Kane and others at least.  

Not sure why USA does not have any great strikers. 

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

@Long n Left

When I compare US to our group opponents, the one thing that worries me is quality finishing.  We saw this in the most recent round of friendlies.  We don't have a Dempsey type of "put it in the back of the net" player. 

I was looking at our group opponents... Iran has Teremi (their best), Azmoun and Jahakanbash. 

Wales has Bale (world class level) plus a couple of other capable Prem strikers. 

England, Sterling, Kane and others at least.  

Not sure why USA does not have any great strikers. 

IMO, USA has young strikers, and I’m not sure if Berhalter’s tactics put them in the best position to be effective scorers.

Ferreira was in a good run of form for most of the MLS season, but I don’t think he is an instinctive scorer. Berhalter likes him because he can drop in and help carry the ball into attack, but I don’t think he is a standout dribbler or passer. He is fast like.

Pefok was white hot at the beginning of the Bundesleiga, but was not called up for international friendlies. He has cooled since. Haji has been in a good run of form for almost a year now, but does not play in the toughest of leagues. He is a great dude, by all accounts, and grew up in USA soccer with Pulisic, McKennie, and Adams, and those guys love him. He is a big body, with decent pace, but his technical ability is questionable, and he’s just okay with his hold up play. Sargent is the guy I’m rooting for. He has been playing well for Norwich since the second half of last year’s Premier League season. He is fast, strong enough, can play on the wing, or through the middle, is technically solid, and very good at holding and dropping off to runners. This could be a breakout for him if he gets the chance.

The other BIG guy is Daryl Dike. He is a true #9, huge muscular build, good pace, and an instinctive scorer. He has been battling injuries for the past year plus, and just came back into West Brom’s side recently, so we will see what he does in the Championship for another season, after the WC. He is the one to watch in my book. 

Like I said above though, I’m not sure the US attack would not be best served with Gio Reyna playing a false 9 roll. Ferreira plays sort of a false 9, but he has nowhere near the technical ability of Reyna, or eye for a pass. Also think Gio is a more instinctive scorer, and better link up player. Using Gio at false 9 would give Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Sargent, whomever more freedom and flexibility to move inside when the time is right, and be goal threats.

I’m on record here as being unenthusiastic about Berhalter, but he has led this team to two big trophies, and WC qualifying in the last couple years. Can he take the step up to making this side internationally relevant on the big stage? Next few weeks will give us a part of the answer.

Edited by Long n Left

On 11/14/2022 at 3:52 AM, MisterPinstripe said:

England is one of the most talented teams, but aren't playing well, so while unlikely it's possible to get a result against them.

The England team is very average IMO. I was out on Southgate as manager several years ago. I’m expecting the group stage to be very competitive. Could be surprised but I think it’s anyone’s for qualification, including Iran.

It is a difficult tournament to get excited about though.

I would love to be very wrong about the goal chances created by the USMNT...  and World Cup's are all about player breakouts.  I will also look at Jimenez/Lozano in Mexico and David for Canada thinking they are much better finishers.

A team like the USMNT with not so strong strikers... Denmark and they did very well in Europe. 

On 11/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, Est.1974 said:

The England team is very average IMO. I was out on Southgate as manager several years ago. I’m expecting the group stage to be very competitive. Could be surprised but I think it’s anyone’s for qualification, including Iran.

It is a difficult tournament to get excited about though.

I don't disagree, Southgate is a detriment. You look at their squad top to bottom its very talented but they recently haven't played that well. It wouldn't shock me to get a result against them, but Aaron Long against their attacking players makes me very nervous. 

Here is something really cool.  I am not sure how far it goes back, but FIFA has Full Match Archives of the World Cup for free via Fifa Plus Platform.  

This is something i thought all sports leagues should do. .

I remember working really hard to build a collection of matches in 2006 ... for some reason I recall Zlatan scoring a ton of goals in a World Cup... but alas.  Looks like he didn't.