Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

@Long n Left

You are correct about the Apples and Oranges comparisons to past USMNT.  I watched the 2002 USMNT vs. Portugal and was surprised by what I saw.  I always thought US teams longballed it over the top constantly and played 0 possession. 

I was envious of watching Eddie Pope on defense, Earnie Stewart take free kicks and corners and an underrated DeMarcus Beasley in his first World Cup. Not to mention a young Landon Donovan. They didn't create many chances, but were technical and executed when they had the chances.  That team has had the best result of recent USMNT.  They had a game plan of feeding down the wings and crossing. 

Maybe we have had very bad offensive systems or personnel since 2010... but I am always disappointed by Team USA offense. 

Did anyone else find this article as unhelpful as I did????

English speakers, here's how to pronounce 'Qatar'

The beginning of the 2022 World Cup in Qatarwill also kick off another intense international sport: Pronouncing "Qatar." 
To Arabic speakers and speakers of similar languages, the name of this year's World Cup host is a no-brainer. However, to English speakers, it is literally one tricky letter after another. That's because even the word Qatar is a Romanized version of the original Arabic قطر , which means each letter isn't exactly as it seems. Let's try our best to figure it out.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/how-to-pronounce-qatar-cec/index.html

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

11 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Did anyone else find this article as unhelpful as I did????

English speakers, here's how to pronounce 'Qatar'

The beginning of the 2022 World Cup in Qatarwill also kick off another intense international sport: Pronouncing "Qatar." 
To Arabic speakers and speakers of similar languages, the name of this year's World Cup host is a no-brainer. However, to English speakers, it is literally one tricky letter after another. That's because even the word Qatar is a Romanized version of the original Arabic قطر , which means each letter isn't exactly as it seems. Let's try our best to figure it out.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/how-to-pronounce-qatar-cec/index.html

I watched the video and have determined that I am incapable of making that sound without accidentally offering greater insult to the fine people (presumably) of Qatar.  I shall carry the shame of this failure.  

Now let’s get these games in because the World Cup should have ended in July, yet here we sit in November without a match played.  Everyone involved must be terribly embarrassed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I watched the video and have determined that I am incapable of making that sound without accidentally offering greater insult to the fine people (presumably) of Qatar.  I shall carry the shame of this failure.  

Now let’s get these games in because the World Cup should have ended in July, yet here we sit in November without a match played.  Everyone involved must be terribly embarrassed.  

Yeah this is one more proof that money talks and everyone bows to it...

• Like 1

Do people think Ecuador is bad?  Valencia and Caicedo both play in international leagues... not sure if Ospina is keeper here but they also have a LB who plays in Spain (Estupian).  I am not sure why a close match was expected... and this is the easiesr opponent for Qatar in the group.  

23 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Nice.  Unfortunately it looks like France is suffering from the curse of post champions... just saw Benzema is out.

That's a plus, last time we won the WC it was without him. He actually never helped us to win any international competition. The dude was diagnose with his injury last night, this afternoon he was back in Madrid, way to support your "buddies" !

On the other hand missing Kanté is a major blow.

Edited by FrFan

Nkunku is another sad injury for y'all.  They will still have Mbappe, Griezmann, Dembele (playing better under Xavi) should be enough goal scoring power. Crazy with all those injuries still have a powerful team.... 

Not $$$ sure $$$ why $$ there will be a 48 field World Cup ($$$$$$$$$) but there could be a lot of patheticly overmatched games like this.  

12 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Nkunku is another sad injury for y'all.  They will still have Mbappe, Griezmann, Dembele (playing better under Xavi) should be enough goal scoring power. Crazy with all those injuries still have a powerful team.... 

Not $$$ sure $$$ why $$ there will be a 48 field World Cup ($$$$$$$$$) but there could be a lot of patheticly overmatched games like this.  

Pogba too eventhough he is plagued with inconsistency. Funny thing is that in 1998 and 2018 we won with scoreless strikers (Guivarch, Giroud)

I am going to rescind some of my comments about Qatar.  I watched the Netflix Documentary... FIFA was corrupt and there is a question of if it still is (I think yes).  It is also really hard to see working conditions there, but many other countries also have poor working conditions.  To maintain Western standards for workers is probably not attainable. 

I find some of the tone toward Arab nations in general rather negative, including myself and think that sports is supposed to unite us together in some way. 

This should be seen as a great accomplishment between countries to have a World Cup in an Arab / Muslim country and culture for the first time.  A culture that has seen a boatload of conflict with the west.  

There is more outrage here than when Putin hosted 4 years ago...

• Thumb down 1

Now there's the rainbow armband threat from MaFifa :rolleyes:

"Fifa’s president, Gianni Infantino, said Qatar’s “highest leadership” had confirmed to him that “everyone is welcome” in the country" ==> but Budweiser !  Link

Back to the game, good luck to USMNT, and I hope the Oranje won't get crushed.