Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

14 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

France is a nightmare.  Good lord.

Thank you, but no disrespect to our friends from Down Under but it wasn't a real big challenge. The game vs Denmark will be relevant since they beat us twice lately. We lost our cornerstone defensive player yesterday, that's a new total of 6 players lost to injuries. At this pace by the end of the competition we'll be able to build a competitive team with them (Kante, Pogba, Kimpembe, Nkunku, Hernandez, Benzema).

Edited by FrFan

It is great to see smaller gap between teams in International soccer. 

Morocco tying Croatia is also a good result for them. 

Spain against Costa Rica... I have a hard time seeing CRC get a result, but Spain has a knack for holding possession, creating 15 chances and not scoring.  Oh wait... CRC has Navas... that should make it more interesting. 

10 hours ago, FrFan said:

Thank you, but no disrespect to our friends from Down Under but it wasn't a real big challenge. The game vs Denmark will be relevant since they beat us twice lately. We lost our cornerstone defensive player yesterday, that's a new total of 6 players lost to injuries. At this pace by the end of the competition we'll be able to build a competitive team with them (Kante, Pogba, Kimpembe, Nkunku, Hernandez, Benzema).

Sure, the Aussies are no test but France are easily the most impressive attack I’ve seen so far.  I did miss Englands opener but I’ll get a closer look at the Friday.  

France are just relentless and Mbappe is an absolute freak.  

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Japan beating Germany seems reasonable after Saudi Arabia defeated Argentina.  First round has delivered excitement in this tournament,  

maybe we’ll get another stunning upset and the US will beat England on Friday.  :)

Even if we only tie thats makes our odds of advancing out of group stage much better.  Because all that would have to happen is we beat Iran and England beats Wales.

Re: Qatar/FIFA 

FIFA looks worse than Qatar for backing them up on the arm bands and no beer policy.  Qatar needs to understand part of the bridge they are building includes being welcoming to guests.  I am sure players and fans might speak out more afterwards.  I wonder if any team knocked out before the third match day will use the One Love Arm band.

Re: Upsets

Nice to see Team Japan credit Saudi Arabia for inspiring them when they were down (individual players mentioned this in interviews but not sure they spoke about it as a group).  

No one is out until after Match Day 2... Argentina played pretty foolish and should have had 2 or 3 more goals in the first half (thinking of their offsides).  

@Berggy9598

Canada qualified above US.  I would argue their best player (Davies) is better than Pulisic (who has been the US best player).  They also have some European league players and a bit shaky defense (both teams were undone by a lapse on defense).   

I am not so far down on US... there was a lot of good to take away and except a brainfart in the box its 3 points.  

That second goal by Brazil was a thing of beauty.

Still say this game would be better with unlimited subs.  I just can’t see how watching players stiffly jog around between falling over with leg cramps is a better option than just letting coaches manage their minutes.  

• Like 1

Brazil took care of business smartly. Moving to Match Day 2... teams that need wins:  Senegal, Qatar, Iran, Argentina, Australia, Germany, Costa Rica, Canada, Cameroon, Serbia, Ghana.  

Senegal will play Qatar and Cameroon Serbia. Should feature two desperate teams.  

Germany will play Spain next.  If Japan and Spain both win, Germany will be eliminated.  

and bad news from the Brazil match.  Neymar injured.  It happened on the the final challenge he took where the opponent caught his ankle and rolled it following thru the slide.  He did walk it off, but it's def hurt.  

We complained about Pulisic getting chopped... but Neymar is the most kicked player.  Not sure there would be much drop off if he rested the group stage. 

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

and bad news from the Brazil match.  Neymar injured.  It happened on the the final challenge he took where the opponent caught his ankle and rolled it following thru the slide.  He did walk it off, but it's def hurt.  

We complained about Pulisic getting chopped... but Neymar is the most kicked player.  Not sure there would be much drop off if he rested the group stage. 

Zero sympathy here. Neymar is also the biggest diver in football, and that is a super high bar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destino said:

That second goal by Brazil was a thing of beauty.

Still say this game would be better with unlimited subs.  I just can’t see how watching players stiffly jog around between falling over with leg cramps is a better option than just letting coaches manage their minutes.  

I'm convinced that the pitch is too big and the sub limit are the two biggest issues with the game. So much of the game is meaningless clock running with the ball either out of play or bouncing around in the midfield by players who are too tired to do anything. 

And I say this as someone who likes soccer. But the pacing ain't good.