Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

You can breathe now too... 

Lol, I'm safe from hyperventilation :) I'm not watching just following the scores from time to time that's why I do not make any comment about the games.

First player to score 8 goals in the WC before reaching 24 years old

Edited by FrFan

Onto England and Senegal.  I have this one as a bit closer matchup than some of the other R16 matchups. 

Japan v. Croatia is the one I think should be the fiercest.  Morocco v. Spain and Portugal vs. Switzerland are the other two I think should be good on paper.  

The 3 that we have had so far have been a bit more gap between teams.  

It's possible to make the Group Stage and even advance to the knockout with 4 or so quality players and average players all around.  But it becomes way more difficult to advance unless you have 8 players that are European top league quality. 

France and Brazil are the ones  I think the Top Tier with this regard.   England and Spain I put at the next level below... their domestic leagues give a home league advantage.  I would put Portugal and Netherlands here too.  Argentina I think has the next tier... they are a sentimental love for everyone and they did knock off Brazil recently.  I think there is a drop off with the other teams remaining.  

I'm basically with China.  I root for the US.  If they aren't in, I tend to root for countries my family descended from.  Ireland didn't make it, Germany and Wales are already out, but England is still alive.

So for me, I'm rooting for the Three Lions and if they get knocked out, I'll root for a new country to join the club.

I bet on Netherlands and Switzerland to win it all in like June, so rooting for them - Swiss is crazy odds, not counting on them. Aside from them just whoever hasn't won it before.

Croatia/Japan is the closest match of the knockout stage odds wise. Croatia is favored but I like Japan to pull it out. Too bad I live on the west coast, I'm not waking up at 7 am to watch that considering it's 3:11 am right now and I'm just going to bed.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I hate penalty kicks, let them play until someone scores.  Eliminate offsides at some point if they go like an hour of extra time with no goals.

I like this idea.  If no one has scored after 120 minutes, there's one extra 45 minute period.  Every five minutes, each team has to send a man off.  The last five minutes may be 3 v 3 including the goalies.

Not only does it get a winner figured out, but it punishes teams by not going for it early be exhausting their (presumably) best players for the next match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I hate penalty kicks, let them play until someone scores.  Eliminate offsides at some point if they go like an hour of extra time with no goals.

you’d need to allow unlimited subs or player safety would be a major concern.  Soccer is an extreme amount of running with not time outs or commercial breaks.  The reason they go to PKs is because the teams are physically defeated after 120 minutes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:
you’d need to allow unlimited subs or player safety would be a major concern.  Soccer is an extreme amount of running with not time outs or commercial breaks.  The reason they go to PKs is because the teams are physically defeated after 120 minutes.  

Up until the 90s, in the FA cup if the game ended as a draw, they'd replay the game a few days later, and keep replaying it until someone won.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/nov/21/oxford-city-alvechurch-longest-fa-cup

"We played each other six times in less than three weeks - Saturday, Tuesday, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, Monday - and four of those games went to extra time. Plus we had a league game in between, and we all had full-time jobs as well. Then we had to play Aldershot in the first round proper on the Wednesday, two days after we finally beat Oxford, by which time we were on our knees."

Couldn't do that in the world cup of course,

Edited by Gurgeh
Added quote

9 hours ago, Forehead said:

I like this idea.  If no one has scored after 120 minutes, there's one extra 45 minute period.  Every five minutes, each team has to send a man off.  The last five minutes may be 3 v 3 including the goalies.

Not only does it get a winner figured out, but it punishes teams by not going for it early be exhausting their (presumably) best players for the next match.

I’ve always loved the idea of extra time being 20 minutes of 10v10 with no goalies and no golden goal. After that, you institute the golden goal. I know people will complain it’s not “pure” but it’s better than penalty kicks imo.